Energy Discussion Continued - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Energy Discussion Continued

I got some numbers from work today. I got all of the information from an externally available publication, but I still feel better about posting it in here rather than in the Bar for all the world to see. Keep in mind that this information is not a national average, but actual costs for my company only. I would expect trends to be similar throughout the country, but increase prices as you go North and West or if your state is deregulated.

Fuel Cost for Generation (in cents per kilowatt-hours)
Nuclear - 0.51
Coal - 2.87
Oil & Gas - 6.28
Average - 2.68

49% of 2007 Revenue went to pay for fuel

Generation Sources
Coal - 74.9%
Nuclear - 17.8%
Oil & Gas - 6.6%
Hydro - 07%

The downside to nuclear energy is/was the cost of building the plants. In the 70's, most power plants were custom built and around the time of the Chernobyl and TMI disasters, build costs skyrocketed. Nukes that were under construction at the time ended up costing billions instead of millions. The cost is expected to be greatly reduced on newer units as most utilities are/will be using turn-key packages from Westinghouse or other vendors. This will ultimately result in safer nukes also as the safety devices will be the same throughout the country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Re: Energy Discussion Continued

I hope our politicians will grow some balls and stand up to Greenpeace on this issue. Nuclear Energy is far safer than Coal, Oil and Gas plants as it produces no pollution into the air. The only risk factor is if something goes wrong, which should never occur again given our past.

I know we have at least 4 or 5 reactors in North Alabama that are not even active, one whole plant was never completed. It's a shame to be wasting all of that power.

I am happy with TVA though, they do produce a lot of power by means of Hydro and Nuclear. They just need to get the politicians to stop being scared of a bunch of eco freaks.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

GE has their advanced boiling water reactor design, it's the other big one besides the Westinghouse.

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

I agree with Brent on this one. We really need to actually take a step forward into the future and use cleaner, cheaper, and pretty much safer means of energy production.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
GE has their advanced boiling water reactor design, it's the other big one besides the Westinghouse.
Thanks, I couldn't think of who it was. Guess I am kind of dumb for forgetting GE.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Dumbass

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:03 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

We made large land base turbines for GE... till our owner sold out and our business went to China...

Here in Indiana we have a lot of Coal power, and are looking at wind. Solar is a hit and miss due to the snow we get and the price of them. here in the middle of the state and the upper parts of the state we cant use water due to we dont have it around here. our largest "river" is a creek to some of u guys.

One thing I have done to save on energy is use Geothermal for HVAC. (Underground pipes that use the ground temp to keep it the same for summer and winter. (What is Geothermal?)
Old 05-23-2008, 03:41 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

We need to stop talking, and start doing. I'm getting worked up over everyone talking about **** and how we need to start doing things and stop being so dependent. We've been talking about this **** for years and nobody is DOING.

I wish I had the power to call up people and have everyone protest at the nearest gas station by their house.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
We need to stop talking, and start doing. I'm getting worked up over everyone talking about **** and how we need to start doing things and stop being so dependent. We've been talking about this **** for years and nobody is DOING.

I wish I had the power to call up people and have everyone protest at the nearest gas station by their house.
Why protest the gas station, it really isn't there fault. From what I can remember reading, they get a very small cut of the price per gallon
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
Why protest the gas station, it really isn't there fault. From what I can remember reading, they get a very small cut of the price per gallon
To really get the word out to people that we need to stop being so dependent on oil. We all talk about how we want to change things, but we go on in our regular routine ignoring that idea

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8r View Post
hell, if that. most profit a individual station recieves comes from the inside store sales, which is why the huge store stations are getting more popular. The one i go to every morning is about 6 aisles of ****, with a normal sized pumping area (maybe 12 pumps?).

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar