Should I buy a Motorcycle? And what kind? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Should I buy a Motorcycle? And what kind?

I am an 18 year old female. 5'5 and 110 pounds. I admire sport bikes, mainly the Suzuki GSXR. I currently have a 2008 Mustang, and my parents pay for the payments, gas, and insurance. Now I'm contemplating buying myself a motorcycle. My parents are against it, so I know i'll be paying for everything.
I plan on signing up for Rider Courses to learn how to ride, and being safe.
I just want to hear some feedback on any experience of riding. Is it worth it? What bikes would you recommend for beginners, such as myself? And so on...
fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Buying a motorcycle against your parents' wishes should result in the termination of car payments, gas and insurance. I hope it does.
stanwic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

your insurance will be around 10 grand a year. not worth to get a gsxr for your first bike.
also, even if you've taken courses, it doesnt mean that you know how to ride and that you're safe. you shouldn't get a bike unless you have someone who is an experienced rider to ride next to you for your first year/season. there's a lot to learn and a lot to learn "not to do."

bikes are cheap. insurance and maintenance isn't. just because you can afford the initial price of the bike doesnt mean you can afford to own a bike.
ruhleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Have you looked at the Harley 883 sportster, it's a light and quick motorcycle, you will meet alot of nice people on two wheels, I rode my Harley from La. to Calif. to Wash. state and back and made alot of friends along the way. but if you only plan on riding once in awhile the cost of up keep will outweigh the benefits, no motorcycle is cheap to maintain or insure keep that in mind, I have been riding for 35 years and have owned 1 Yamaha and 4 Harley's, the Harley's have been a little cheaper to maintain and the Harley has lasted longer, right now I own a 2007 Harley Electra Glide Standard
dalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sandra doesn't know what she's talking about. IF you want a bike that's cool you'll just have yo get a job. That seems like a buzz kill but hey Bikes are a lot more affordable than a car. And you like Suzuki's well I think Honda 's are better because they are more comfortable to ride but it's still Moto GP style. Honda 1000rr or 600rr

RR means Race Replica
keandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Insurance on a GSXR crotch rocket will be extremely high, especially for a 18 year female.
I know 30 year old men with clean driving records paying $3000 a year to insure their crotch rockets
emrys27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar