Which car to choose? Opinions needed! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to A5295
Which car to choose? Opinions needed!

Guys, I have a situation, and could use some thoughts...

I'm looking at a new job, one that will allow me to get decent pay (20K/yr) and pay for 6 hours of classes a semester... I'll actually be working for the university, so I'll have full benefits, etc., etc.

I have a friend that is selling his 03 Mach1 locally, and if the job pans out, I plan on buying the car if I can.
-Here's a mod list:
  • 23k Mi
  • EGR Delete
  • Sniper Tune
  • Bassani Catted x and Cat-Back
  • FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
  • MM XL SFC's
  • Tokico D-Spec struts/shocks
  • H&R Race/MM Torque Arm Springs
  • Evolution Motorsports Watts/Tri-Link
  • FRPP 31-Spline Trac-Loc
  • Moser Forged axles
  • 18x9/10.5 Polished 03 Cobra wheels
  • FRPP 4.30's

I can get this car for a song, along with almost all the stock parts and the tuning equipment.

The big thing is, My stable is a bit full with 3 cars, and being a student with a 20k a year job, I cant afford all of them, nor do I have the room.

-Which ones should go?

My DD - 96 Corolla; 210k, dependable as anything, and 25 MPG in town
My Truck - 1992 Chevy c1500 4x2 245k, needs work, but works for an old truck

My baby - 86 GT, full exhaust, Tokicos/H&R's, 5-lug, fresh paint, etc.

I really dont NEED two mustangs, but I hate to let something that Ive put so much time into go, you know? If I did let it go, what would be a good price?

My corolla is the only car that has ever been given to me, which means that I have $0 in it, other than maint. costs.

the biggest thing is, I really need to sell 2 vehicles to get this one, so that I can put the funds towards the car, saving me some payment each month. if I sell the corolla, I might pick up a motorcycle later if gas prices continue to rise.

The other thing to consider is, I'll be <2 mi from work, so riding my bike/walking is something that I'll be doing a good bit of the time.

guys, tell me what you think... Both cars are equally unique, and are becoming harder to come by....

Anyway, enough of my rambling - let me have it!
86 GT, H&R Race Springs, Tokico Illuminas, MM Caster/Camber plates, Bassani E/L CC Headers, Pypes Catted X, and MagnaflowCatback, Steeda Tri-Ax, 3:73's, AlpineCDA-9856 Headunit, Image Dynamics IDQ 10.2 DVC Sub, RF 201S Amp
A5295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy
Re: Which car to choose? Opinions needed!

keep the mustang, ditch the truck... save corolla for parading around town
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Shockingly, I agree with the above....
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

thats cause there is really no need for the truck... do you haul **** around all the time? if not, its to much gas to use. you'll have 2 mustangs for your enjoyment, and the corolla is a.) a toyota, b.) great gas mileage. Even if its old and high mileage... toyota is a great vehicle.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Regular

Region: Tennessee

With Cajun

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to at7311

also agree. Plus being so close to work even if you decided to drive a stang it wouldn't be that bad on gas. ATM mine (GT) is a DD and I'm only about 5-10min to work so I can stretch one tank of gas just about 2 weeks. Not to shabby.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

I say save your money, mike, and don't buy the car...20K/year won't go nearly as far as you think...you might be able to get the car itself for a good price, but youre still going to have insurance to pay, registration to pay, etc. which will add up to lots of money, that, honestly, a 20K/year job will not support, at least not with all the other car, home, and school bills you have to pay...

I am assuming from the mod's listed that the car being sold is richard's car...why is he selling it? He hasn't had it but what, like a year or so?
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
keep the mustang, ditch the truck... save corolla for parading around town
What Mikey said

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Road Trip!

damn herb, im 2 for 2 haha. i guess its true as you age you become wiser
Old 06-03-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
thats cause there is really no need for the truck... do you haul **** around all the time? if not, its to much gas to use. you'll have 2 mustangs for your enjoyment, and the corolla is a.) a toyota, b.) great gas mileage. Even if its old and high mileage... toyota is a great vehicle.
Damn !!!!! where did Mikey go ??? You have a B-Day and lap dance and the brain starts working SWEET

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Road Trip!

i dunno wtf happened... lmao. ever since then, i've become the ol' great wise one! bahaha.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbstang View Post
Damn !!!!! where did Mikey go ??? You have a B-Day and lap dance and the brain starts working SWEET
I think it allowed him to see...whoa, I do have something between me legs... when they started grinding on him...and it freed up a lot of the blocked blood flow to his other brain....
Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Road Trip!

the alcohol only helped thin the blood for better flow
Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Quote:
the alcohol only helped thin the blood for better flow
You didn't have that much...like 3 or 4 beers and a watered down shot of vodka and power aid.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Road Trip!

more than i usually drink... i don't know, maybe it was the stripper finger her cooch about 3 inches from my face... i don't know....
Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

if they are all paid for I would probably keep both stangs if the fox is in really good shape (if its not so much put it back to stock and sell) and keep the corolla for DD. If I was in school though I would personally save all I could and then when you get out you will be very thankful as you will need it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

I've already talked to you about this Mike, but the biggest thing you have to look at is long-term. Yeh, the car is a steal right now...but you'll come across another if that's what you want down the road.

I made myself pass on several cobras before finally being in the position to buy one and not worry about the money side.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to A5295

bThanks guys for all the replies...

Cajun, thanks for your words of advice... the only reason Im considering selling both the truck and the fox is the money factor - I plan to put that money up as down payment for the mach, which would siginificantly drop my payments, or the amount of time Id spend paying for it.

-At this point, no matter what, unless it starts doing some really quirky ****, the 'rolla stays - 25mpg and working heat and air, not to mention simplicity are too much to let go of.

Y2E0L0L5OGWT, It is Richard's car... He is getting married in the fall, and wants a truck instead, just becuase he doesnt drive like he used to, and the car sits in his garage most of the time while he rides his bike. At the price he quoted me, He's basically eating all the funds and time he has in the car. One of the main reasons Im considering his purchase is that it would fit my goals a lot better for what I plan to do with the car. In order to make my old fox competitive at the local level even, id have to do A LOT more work, and spend quite a bit more money. This car is basically turnkey, low mileage, and cleaner than my fox will probably ever be. No other mods necessary. *shrugs*

I do understand that 20K a year doesnt go far... Look at what I have and have done making HALF that much! Im not gonna say that things arent tight sometimes, but Im not going hungry (as evidenced by my chubby ***).

I dunno guys... Its really riding on this job, or going full time with SEARS, who Ive been working for as well as my usual grind.

PureVenom, Id love to keep both, just because Ive got so much time in my car already...

Lowflyn, a Mach wasnt really my dream car, but it is definately one of my favorite cars. I know you did a lot of looking, and finally picked a great car - I hadnt really planned on doing anything with this, but the lure of a 5 year old, low mileage car is almost more tempting than I can handle!
86 GT, H&R Race Springs, Tokico Illuminas, MM Caster/Camber plates, Bassani E/L CC Headers, Pypes Catted X, and MagnaflowCatback, Steeda Tri-Ax, 3:73's, AlpineCDA-9856 Headunit, Image Dynamics IDQ 10.2 DVC Sub, RF 201S Amp
A5295 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar