Down and Disconcerted, words of wisdom? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Down and Disconcerted, words of wisdom?

Hello. Thanks for reading. I'm having having some trouble with my mare. I am new to riding, (I've been taking lessons for a year and a half) and was "given" (I know there is no such thinh as a "free" horse), a 5 year old Mustang mare. She has been professionally trained under saddle, but her former owners ditched her after letting her get away with murder and wondering why she wasn't "the perfect horse." She is incredibly smart, and too young and healthy to be sent to a Canadian slaughter house, (her destinty if sent to a "sale" in Michigan, so close to the border), I just don't don't know if I have what it takes to make her the horse I know she can be. I have the money and time to care for a horse, but just one. And I am selfish and want a horse that will give me something in return, (short trail rides and trips around the arena.) She does have fundemental training issues though (herd seperation anxiety) that I know I am not qualified to handle, and cannot get help from the "professionals" at the barn I board her at who seem more interested in the financial gain of winning barrel horses than she and I.I know I probably should not have taken her on in the first place, but we have come a long way in our three months together. I just worry that, "once a mustang, always a mustang." I love her and have the time,money, and patience for her, but all the negativity from people at my barn and people in general, about her breed have me a bit down. Can an amatuer rider and horse ever become great together?
osweald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You are right in admitting your inability to "train" a green horse, and that is the first step! Don't be too discouraged, though--it sounds like you're doing the right thing. First off, yes, you can become a great pair. A 5 year old is still young and green, and it sounds like she didn't have the best start with her former owners. As a result, she's playing catch-up now. She's going to have good and bad days, and maybe more bad than good right now.

It sounds like she may not be the horse for you at the moment. You could keep her and continue as you are, trying to do things on your own, but you're taking a safety risk (since you admit you don't have the experience for her) and you also risk losing your confidence and your enjoyment of riding. I see two smart options here: One, you sell her to someone who suits her better at this point in her life, and you buy a horse you actually enjoy and look forward to riding. Two, you find a good trainer (whether you have to haul to them or move barns altogether) to help you with her at least until she gets past this point of her training and you're more confident with her. Mustangs can be great horses, but all young horses--QH, TBs, Arabians, Shetland ponies, etc.--have bad days (as do old horses, for that matter). Young horses are frustrating at times and there are days when you wonder why you ride in the first place . My six year old QH--a nicely bred show horse, so this proves that it's not just mustangs--had moments where I wondered if we'd ever live up to his breeding (or early training) and make it anywhere. It's just been the last couple of months that he's really turned into something nice, and we've been working on it awhile. Some horses take longer than others. A good trainer will go a long way and be worth every penny you put into her. If you really like this horse, don't be discouraged--take that money and invest it in a trainer who can show you what a nice horse you have. You have every right to want a horse that gives you a good ride, and this horse may be just the one to do it--you may just need to pay someone to help you get there first.
botulf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Anything is possible. The probabilities are some where between slim and none. A mustang is a wild horse, and was bred and raised in the wild, and will always have wild ways, however if you have patience, and are willing to learn you can do it, but you have to remember she is a wild horse and has to be view as one all the time. If she had some Professional training she may make it to a fate less than a slaughter house in Canada. I will try to help you if I can. I have broken and trained a few wild horses in my time. But I will need some specifics on how much training she had, not how long, but what she was trained to do. send me an email at rwjacksr@yahoo.com and tell me all about her.
macdaibhidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you have the right people around you to help, are willing to learn, and have balls of steal... Green and Green work...

Other then that...no... It will not...

I hate to say this, but I have learned from experience... Having a horse that is to much for you or that you just don't click with ruins the whole fun in riding and will kill your confidence...

It may be best to give her to someone that has the time to fool with her and get her to the place she needs to be..

You are going to do yourself and the horse no favors by keeping her... Have negativeity around you isn't going to help the situation any either.

Find a horse that you click with and that is at your level...

Horses teach people and then people teach horses...

Good luck in whatever you choose to do
cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I am in the exact same situation with my Paint mare. She has major issues. I've only had her a month but she already sent me to the hospital twice, but I love her. It would kill me to sell her, but I've only been riding for about a year and a half too. She's also had professional training under saddle, but she's so spooky and hates pressure on her stomach. I still don't know what I'm going to do, but I'm going to keep her til the end of summer and see how much both she and I have improved. I'm taking lessons on a really quiet school horse to get my riding improved, and my trainer and a close older friend of mine is going to work with my horse for now. That's the best I could do for my situation. I didn't have the money to take lessons on top of board for my horse so I worked it out with my trainer to work around the barn in exchange for lessons.
Try to find someone with experience that would work with your mare for a while until you feel you can take over. Maybe you have a friend or relative that knows horses. If not, see if you can afford to send her to a trainer's for a couple months, again until you feel you can do it. I wouldn't give up on her just yet, because I believe you and her can be great together eventually. Good things have to be worked towards.
Good luck! (:
cibor is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar