Could I successfully extort money from my neighbor? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Could I successfully extort money from my neighbor?

Here's the deal: I wont go into detail about the whys and hows, but my neighbor doesn't know that I know he's cheating on his wife. I also know that his wife is clueless about it, and that he's been doing this for quite some time.

Again, if you knew HOW I discovered this information you would know that I am not mistaken. The wife has no clue.

He is fairly wealthy, he is owner of a very decent driving range, and has a beach house in North Carolina, and three old mustangs. He also has a firefighter's pension (he walks with a limp due to an injury that forced him to resign several years ago.)

Basically, this guy has TONS of assets that he wouldn't want to loose half of in the case of a divorce, and he is getting ready to move across town. So, now that I will not have to deal with him in the aftermath, suppose I give him a choice. $5000.00 and I don't tell his wife about the affair.

Think about it. $5000 would be like pennies to him, and if his wife discovers his affair, all those assets that I mentioned earlier are up for grabs by his wife should the news result in a divorce. I doubt he wants that. I could also warn that if he goes to the police, I also spill the beans. Heck, my one phone call at the station could be to his wife.

I think taking care of the problem with a payment to me would be his easiest option, don't you? Think I have a fool proof plan?

Oh, almost forgot to mention, my uncle, head DA in my county. He has full discretion over which cases he does and doesn't pursue, and he will NOT persue charges against his nephew
chaakmongwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You have a foolproof plan but for the fact that you have just implicated both yourself and your uncle via this Yahoo!Answers question. Technowizards can do anything these days including, I bet, tracing your identity.

You may think you are safe from the law because your uncle is a DA, but even DAs are not immune from prosecution. Because by turning a blind eye to this, your uncle is also breaking the law. Unless you're telling me your uncle has an uncle who'll cover his *** also?
brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Extortion is illegal, period.

Don't be so sure about what your uncle would do. He could assign the case to someone else, you know.

There is no such thing as foolproof extortion.

Actually, it's pretty slimy of you to even consider it.
Dinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If I were your neighbor, I'd gladly deal with my wife being angry for a while in exchange for knowing that you would be in prison for a long time getting gang banged.

Your uncle DA would have no choice after this very public admission of your intent to commit felony extortion (witnessed by hundreds of thousands of users) was published in the newspapers and reported on the local TV stations.

Sucks to be you, eh?

- Stuart
field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

have fun in jail.
Arend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

People have been killed for lesser reasons, no reason he shouldn't kill you. Go ahead and fool with a persons family life if you want. It is none of you business first of all. Second, if you came to me with that option, I would beat you within an inch of your life.
christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I can't believe what I have just read.
Hope you rot in jail.
archibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

You have already asked this question and will undoubtedly receive the same type of answers.

As stated before, your story is probably just that, a story, FICTION. (This time you have added, "my uncle, head DA.") You're full of it.

Edit...well then Jim, IF your uncle is the DA, he should be removed from office. He would be inept and an embarrassment and failure to the community for not pursing and prosecuting such a crime just because the offender was his nephew. Sounds like lack of character runs in your fictional family. (And you added this remark to your story AFTER another poster suggested your, "neighbor," might be the one who knows the DA and other city officials personally. You had no response to his suggestion nor did you claim your uncle was DA in that post. Your story just doesn't add up...but if this somehow amuses you, so be it.
dalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

That's a terrible idea. Forget the legal and ethical issues for a second - do you really want an enemy? It's not going to be fun walking around and looking over your shoulder the rest of your life, especially for a lousy $5000.
dumont75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

You are part of what's wrong with society today.
merla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #11
Ryn
Registered Member
Regular

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Ryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

There are risks...after learning of your blackmail attempts he could simply tell his wife himself, in a sympathetic, pleading, and full-discretionary manner, and with enough regret displayed she would forgive him.

And then he would charge you for blackmail.
colton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

and if he's as well off as you say he is, he might have a few old friends that can 'take care of the problem' as a favor.

organized crime and wealthy businessmen have a tendency to rub shoulders from time to time...
sidney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

uh....I think the local DA would be the least of your worries.

Just don't go there.
hassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

why would you do this? just to be controlling and to ruin your neighbor's life? you are weird and messed up.
macdaibhidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I think it would be a wonderful learning experience for you to pursue this.

Don't stop at $5,000. If you think he's willing to fork something over, demand $50,000.

I'm sure your uncle would LOVE to bail you out if this guy files charges. Why don't you test that and see what happens.

beverley86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

You really can't get much lower on the totum pole of people who don't deserve to live than yourself. A crack head has more class than you.
aronek is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar