What is your opinion of T. Boone Pickens wife's plans to adopt 30,000 mustangs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #1
Tye
Registered Member
Regular

What is your opinion of T. Boone Pickens wife's plans to adopt 30,000 mustangs?

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...03680.html?g=1

It's a two page article, be sure to read the second page
Tye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Your Answer:
The article said that they were big supporters of the closing of the slaughter markets.....So the T-bone dude and his wife is in part responsible for the collapse of the horse markets.
The slaughter/recycle markets regulate the open markets in everything including horses. 1000's of jobs were lost and look at the mess the closing of the slaughter markets has caused!
30,000 so called "wild" horses that B.L.M. can't adopt out.....
First of all there are no true wild horses running in the USA on public lands. They are feral horses from many different sources. Feral. Not wild creatures like deer and elk but feral. Feral means that they either were abandon by their owners in the first place and had to learn to fend for themselves and inadvertently became wild from lack of human contact, or they were turned loose when they were of no longer any use for whoever had them in the first place so many years ago, or they just plain got loose and became feral.
Here in Eastern Oregon, Southern Idaho, and Nevada many of the ranchers would shoot the Mustang stallions and throw out a purebred stallion every other year! This went on clear into the late 80's! The stallions were from many different breeds, Arabian, Thoroughbreds, QH's, Draft stallions, Appaloosa’s and Morgan stallions. All turned loose with little herds of feral mares. One ranch I was on in Utah the Mustang stud had even stole some of our ranch mares! Beat up our domestic QH stud and took the mares that would go with him!
B.L.M. should have sold them all to foreign markets and used the money to take care of the existing population of feral horses on public lands.
It is about time though, that one of the do-gooders steps up to the plate and puts their money where their mouth is.
aescleah29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I bet you read fugly horse of the day, don't you? I do!

If she is truly able to provide a piece of property large enough for them to roam- if she also then gelds all the males so the herd doesn't just keep on growing- and if she's also going to provide all necessary veterinary and other care- then yeah, sure, it's great.

but think about this for a second- 30,000 horses???? Thirty Thousand. She will first need several hundred thousand acres minimum for them to have adequate space to live mostly off the land. They will either need enough space to roam sufficiently to keep their hooves trimmed from natural wear, or they will need literally 100 full-time farriers (I did the math- literally 100) to keep all those hooves trimmed- assuming they can somehow get all these 30,000 horses to cooperate!

Now, let's look at the cost of gelding all those stallions- even if only 1 in 3 is a male, that's still 10,000 stallions to be castrated. At minimum $300 per surgery, that's 3 MILLION DOLLARS just for castration. That doesn't include all the millions of man-hours of effort and follow-up care it would take... we're taking a small army of vets, even if a vet could do 8 castrations a day, which is more than the usual vet can do, it woudl take one vet over 3 1/2 years of working 7 days a week to accomplish it. So she'd need a small army of vets.

if she doesn't plan on castrating them, then she must intend on having round-ups every year to control their numbers, much like the BLM does now- and what exactly is she going to do with all those horses she rounds up? There aren't enough home for all the BLM horses, much less a bunch more from her herd. She could be looking at 10,000 foals a year, or more...

Ultimately, while I think it's noble of her to want to and be willing to do this, the practical aspects of it are impossible. I can only hope that it turns out ok in the end, because it looks to me like a recipe for disaster.
chadburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's a nice idea but hasn't totally been thought through. She needs a minimum of 1 million acres for all those horses...and finding that much land nowadays is near impossible. I suppose she could split them up between several ranches but still, that's a lot of land. Also...this is kind of like the government financial bailouts...it is a nice short term solution but not a long term solution. She'd be better off donating that money toward efforts to apply birth control to the wild horse populations than to just pick up the excess horses. What happens when in another couple of years the horse holding facilities are filled up with another 30,000 horses? What would she do then?

Although an honorable thought, I think she is just treating a symptom rather than the root cause of the problem.
albion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think it is a fantastic idea. I think that Cleveland Amory of the Fund for Animals would be very proud that someone stepped in to help. Cleveland Amory is the man who put the protection law from 1971 into action. Hopefully Madeleine Pickens will take the proper steps needed to care for and further protect the wild horses and burros she is going to be responsible for.
imported_travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I hope she gelds all the stallions or she will be in trouble. Maybe with her connections she can get government grants.

It would be nice if she would also save all the good quality trained horses that are going for slaughter because there is no market for them.
felippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I got lost and ended up on the story called. "Rescuer Plans Retirement for Wild Horses." I made a comment. It is the same website, but a different artical on the same subject. Check it out.
finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Lol i didnt read the article but i think they will all get out of hand and many get infections and ect....

it would be pretty cool though wouldnt it

ide LOVE to own that many!
lysander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I think it is awesome. There billionaires they have the recourse's to do it.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well the certainly have the money to make a difference don't they?
Cathair is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar