Opinions on Motorcycle Helmets - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy
Opinions on Motorcycle Helmets

Just looking for advice on helmets. At the end of July I'm taking a course on how to ride a motorcycle and if I pass I get my license. I won't be getting a bike right away tho and the class really supplies everything I need including helmet, eye wear and bike. I am allowed to bring my own helmet if I want with DOT approval. I am looking at full face ones, looking to spend about $200 although I've planned on spending more but can't spend too much.

What are your opinions? $200 too much, too little? What brands do you guys/gals like? Styles? Fits? Recommendations?

What about things to look for such as fitting? Vision?

I have a list of makes and models but I want some personal opinions, things to look for to help narrow my decision.

Appreciate the input folks, Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Re: Opinions on Motorcycle Helmets

Here's what I bought a few months ago for track use in the car:

Comfortable helmet and affordable.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/cl15solids

As far as fitting go by a local cycle shop and try on a few different models till you find a size that fits, then order off that site. Freaking fast shipping and good prices.

No problems with vision in that helmet either.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:55 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

you dont cheap out on gear. period.

i think i spent 200$ on my helmet, but iirc it was 300$ on sale. i got a KBC.

other good brands are Shoei, HJC and Arai. As long as its DOT/Snell approved you are pretty much good to go, however i found that when trying them on, the more expensive they got, the better they fit, something that might be important when your head slams the pavement at 70mph.

all in all i think i spent like 700$ on all my gear (300$ Icon Jacket, 100$ JoeRocket boots, 100$ Alpinestar Gloves, etc)

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 03:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't plan to be cheap on gear at all. However I'm "in between" jobs right now and still looking for a new car, so I can't afford a $500+ helmet. Truth be told I do plan on spending on the $300 mark give or take many dollars. As much as an $80 helmet sounds like a bargain, a split skull would beg to differ (god forbid).

Since nearly all of my riding will be done locally (at a school), and I probably won't be on a bike too soon after I will have to pass on a $300 jacket as much as I'd love one When I do get a bike though I'll be sure to have one though.

I keep meaning to get up and run up to a few local dealers and check things out, but goddamn I am too lazy.

I have Shoei's helmet catalog sitting next too my TV and I Like KBC and HJC as well. I also like Suomy, in fact I just like saying Suomy, Suuuu-ohh-meeeee.

This shouldn't affect my decision but it does sit in the back of my head, I'd prefer a helmet made in America by an American company or Italian. In the back of the Shoei catalog I see two women hand painting the helmets and I can't help but think "cheap labor".

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll make it up tomorrow, get an idea and check it against that site, thanks for that. I'll probably not decide for another little while and let the thought linger in the back of my head before I make a final decision.

Any other recommendations, more is welcomed.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 06-13-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

I prefer HJC...This is the helmet that I use:

HJC CL-15 Full Face M2005 Helmet
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
I prefer HJC...This is the helmet that I use:

HJC CL-15 Full Face M2005 Helmet
There ya go man, another vote for the CL-15. I'm telling you, it's a good helmet. It's actually more comfortable for me over the more expensive helmets I tried on.

Like the others you can pull every piece of padding out to clean, the cheek pads take 5 seconds to remove. Easy to remove the face shield. Comes with a protective bag. Overall it's a great helmet at a great price. Snell and DOT approved as well.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
guaranteed though, a driver will notice the above guy before he notices another rider without. as ugly as it looks, the mohawk serves its purpose, which is to get peoples attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
There ya go man, another vote for the CL-15. I'm telling you, it's a good helmet. It's actually more comfortable for me over the more expensive helmets I tried on.

Like the others you can pull every piece of padding out to clean, the cheek pads take 5 seconds to remove. Easy to remove the face shield. Comes with a protective bag. Overall it's a great helmet at a great price. Snell and DOT approved as well.
that looks like a good helmet. Try it on and see how it fits.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

theres a whole crew of guys that use those here... you notice them far away cuz you sit there and say... "WTF is on his helmet???" Then they drive by and your like.. ahhh a mohawk.
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:47 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

we had that too for a short time. the Mohawk craze came and went in like the timeframe of a month. when they came out everyone was like "OMG i have to have one!" then after a month everyone was like "yeah this is kind a ghey now"

Old 06-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Stopped by a Kawi dealership today, it was a beautiful day so they were real busy, pretty helpful too. I saw the HJC CL-15 on the shelf and asked to try it on and he handed it right to me. At first I had it sitting on my head because I'm used to paintball masks and I thought to myself "That's not right" lifted it up and resettled down against my chin, seemed like a perfect fit. Bought a pair of gloves since I needed a pair anyway.

Now I'm looking at this. I like gloss black but I feel the same with matte black.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm also going to need a jacket and I'm looking for a lightweight breathable one. I don't want to die in New York's humid dog days of summer, plus any riding I'd be doing would be during the summer. I'm looking at this. I would think mesh is more breathable then textile, but i don't really know.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 06-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

heres the deal on motorcycle helment-1- do you have a 200 dollar head if so yeah a 200 dollar helment is fine. -2- you should look for a dot and snell rated helment. dot test is good but snell is more hardcore testing. -3- Good brands that make a cheap snell rated helment are Arai, Shoei, HJC, and Fulmer im sure there is other brands thats just a few. -4- when you put the helment on it should not move(if it does it should be very and i mean very little) if you shake your head left to right, up to down it will always move a little thats ok. -5- dont buy a helment that the entire jaw piece folds up over the top, you go down your asking to break your jaw. (personal experience) hopefully you will never go down. The fit is the most important thing!!! As for the jacket, just anything as long as its breathable the movre vents it has the better off you are. Doesnt really matter who makes it.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

i have a shoei rf-1000. it is WAAAAY more comfy and breathable than my previous one..a cheap AFX. i'd definately spend the money for a shoei or arai if you have it...it's worth it. you can find some good deals on these if you look hard enough. here's mine

i also use a mesh jacket from joe rocket. it's very breathable and keeps me pretty cool as long as im going and not stopped at a light.

here is is

some boots will be a good idea, though you can rock some non-riding boots if you want, especially for the msf course (which im assuming thats what it is that you're taking). definately get some gloves. and you also might want to get one of these eventually

so this isnt your leg

sorry for whoring up your thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #15
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

I am seriously considering getting a bike myself pretty soon, but, in keeping with tradition and being the odd man out on this site, I am looking at getting something more along the lines of this:

n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:54 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Hey man post more pics! I'll sit here and look at them all day.

As for choosing a helmet I've pretty much come across it and it meets everything 1234 and above have said.

I do wish I could afford a Shoei but it will be somewhere in the future. I am taking an MSF course. I don't have riding boots, but I have a regular pair of boots as in working boots that cover the ankle. I picked up a pair of leather gloves the other day when I was at the dealership. Pants, over the ankle boots, gloves, jacket, all necessary riding gear or else they'll kick you out of the course, but I am fine with that, I'm almost positive I will fall.

As for the bike it is too in my future, but I have things to take care of first. I do plan on getting my license though anyway so then when I have the cash I can blow, I mean make an investment I plan on for a first bike getting A Ninja, around 600cc, most likely off of craigslist used and just until I get real comfortable. When I'm real comfortable and have the cash I will, and I repeat WILL have a Ducati :drool:

I will down the line have a complete closet of riding gear, but too have so much stuff devoted to something that isn't in my immediate future isn't worth it right now. I just want basic, but well equipped, equipment which will suffice.

Oh and Nate, after I get my Ducati, I'll be saving up for a HD Softtail, which by the way has anyone catch the Biography HD channel? I saw they had a documentary on Harley-Davidson, real good show
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 06-15-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri

When it comes to helmets, HJC is not a nice helmet. They'll protect your head, but they're noisy as all hell and just arent comfortable. They squeeze your cheeks real bad and after an hour of riding you'll hate it.

Arai ans Shoei are about as good as they get... especially Arai.

I bought a KBC, its comfortable, has sweet graphics, and was right around the $200 mark. Nothing real nice, but it's still somewhat quiet, and super comfortable. This is what I bought:

BTW, don't get a ninja... Kawacrappies blow

CBR ftw

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:49 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

zim, try not to show your jealousy of the ninja so blatantly. not every n00b has to have a cbr/gsxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Hey man post more pics! I'll sit here and look at them all day.

As for choosing a helmet I've pretty much come across it and it meets everything 1234 and above have said.

I do wish I could afford a Shoei but it will be somewhere in the future. I am taking an MSF course. I don't have riding boots, but I have a regular pair of boots as in working boots that cover the ankle. I picked up a pair of leather gloves the other day when I was at the dealership. Pants, over the ankle boots, gloves, jacket, all necessary riding gear or else they'll kick you out of the course, but I am fine with that, I'm almost positive I will fall.
yea, i dont blame you for starting with something other than a 400 dollar helmet. i didnt start with one either. hjc is a decent affordable helmet...and as for the "how much is your head worth" argument, the protection offered by most well-known helmets is similar, the biggest difference comes in comfort. I recently read an article where a company tested helmets that were snell approved, dot approved, etc and it found some suprising results.

as for failing, dude...i dont think you'll fail. they teach you very well and you get lots of practice. i had been riding for a couple of months when i took it and scored low enough to become an intructor, but there were also people in my class who hadnt been on a bike before in their lives, and everybody passed. the written test is really easy. the riding test has some parts that arent easy, but you dont have to score perfectly. try your best and i think you'll past no problem.

Quote:
As for the bike it is too in my future, but I have things to take care of first. I do plan on getting my license though anyway so then when I have the cash I can blow, I mean make an investment I plan on for a first bike getting A Ninja, around 600cc, most likely off of craigslist used and just until I get real comfortable. When I'm real comfortable and have the cash I will, and I repeat WILL have a Ducati :drool:
Im telling you, when you finish the msf course, you will definately want a bike ASAP if you look around enough you can get a great deal on something. my friend is trying to sell his 03 r6 which with like 8k miles for $4k. and it is extremely clean. are you thinking of a supersport like a zx6r, or a 650r type. personally i'd go with the zixxer

Quote:
I will down the line have a complete closet of riding gear, but too have so much stuff devoted to something that isn't in my immediate future isn't worth it right now. I just want basic, but well equipped, equipment which will suffice.

Oh and Nate, after I get my Ducati, I'll be saving up for a HD Softtail, which by the way has anyone catch the Biography HD channel? I saw they had a documentary on Harley-Davidson, real good show

as requested...heres a few more

my new rearset adjusters and a worn down footpeg

and my new damper

Quote:
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

I have a Bell. It was cheaper but I have had no issues, I use it on track, 4 wheelin, and karting. Its silver with a clear and smoke viser. I will get a better one when (if) I get my bike but I use it the most 4 wheelin.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry Zim (and fishers stang), I do not like Honda, it is like my anti-christ. I looked at KBC as well and I liked them. I feel pretty well with the HJC CL-SP to start off with, solid glossy black color because it will go with nearly anything that's out there. Not only helmet wise but everything down to the clothes I wear, I like simple, solid, not very busy design. Of course I have seen many a mint designs but until I get a perm. bike designed helmets won't be at the top of my list.

A lot of people say gsxr is the way to go, ninjas are only made to stunt on, I just kind of nod my head and say "Okay", but I don't know what it is with Kawasaki that appeals me so much honestly, maybe it's because I like green, and well, Kawasaki green?

I'm not so afraid of failing, more like falling, two L's. I might take an extra 45 min. class before the actual class starts, like a week before, even if I just get comfortable sitting on a bike, never even sat on one, I am a complete n00b.

I already want a bike ASAP, in fact it's about a year into me really wanting a bike. I do have some reasons for it though. Traffic sucks, I won't be the *** that rides down the middle of lanes whom tempt me so much to swing open my door. I hope not but can't make promises. Not going to use it to speed, let alone race street or track, stunts don't appeal to me that much, at most learn to wheelie but again not until I have experience and just so I get a feel if I give too much gas to balance myself off.

I can travel at least 70 miles just to get to and from school so MPG is my friend, and even if I get use for half the school year, early fall, late spring it will surely pay. The other benefit is commuters have no parking. Always some bikes parked in the middle of campus (big campus) so I will always get a parking spot. Plus just to ride the parkways and roads, just to ride, perhaps take a day trip out to Montauk and back (but with many pit stops along the way).

And yes zixxer. Perhaps not my first but ideally what I'd like. I may even start off with a 250 and put up with it just to have a bike until I have the cash, pick up the zixxer for a few years and sell that for the Ducati . I'm sure I can find great deals, always bikes for sale because they sound like a good idea to some people, then they change their mind. And because of the harsh winters a bike will be a toy second to my Mustang (whenever I can get it again). BTW you have the color I want (right now anyways), I'd like to have the '08 Candy Plasma Blue and an '04 Sonic Blue GT. Get some nice group photos lol.

I remember some of those photos too from your post and the peg being worn away, that's crazy right there. Some nice photos too.

I looked at Bell's for a while, but I'm getting so many HJC CL-__ as recommendations even from others I decided I'd stick with it. If I like it I'll keep it, but if I notice too much noise, or the fit isn't as good I'll start looking at Arai and Shoei.

But seriously guys, this has been a big help, even just talking about it, figuring things out. Keep it coming if you all want, this is great.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

I like Honda F1 this kind of Honda...

Thanks F1-live
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diapo_318.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	19396  
Old 06-20-2008, 01:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, Formula 1. Now I don't feel as bad for knocking Honda .

So I was looking at the HJC CL-SP, now I'm not to sure of it. It's a beautiful helmet and great quality as far as I can tell however I didn't think too much of the internal shape which I'm discovering now. Went back today to try on a few more, damn those guys are patient and for ****s and giggles I asked for the Shoei for comparison. He handed me the RF-1000 and it seemed to be a near perfect fit. Decided to come home and do a bit more research for Shoei. Most likely I'll wind up back in there tomorrow and deciding between the Shoei RF-1000 or the TZ-R, see what's the better fit.

The HJC's shell seems to big, close to that fishbowl feeling. I think the shoei was a bit slimmer, I just hope what it seems like and what it is is true and not like the HJC. I have a bit of a long oval head and that HJC is definitely for roundheaded people. I may wind up holding off another week or two before I actually purchase the Shoei though. Hopefully tomorrow will tell.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 AM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama

I want this Akuma when the time comes
Akuma Helmet - Stealth - Akuma Helmets - Helmets - Superbike Toy Store - Sportbike

but at the price of those things...wont be for awhile. I will probably just spend $200ish on a plain one and have it airbrushed.

Supermotors

Co-Founder of the Non-Mustang Owners Club
SrATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Oh, Formula 1. Now I don't feel as bad for knocking Honda .

So I was looking at the HJC CL-SP, now I'm not to sure of it. It's a beautiful helmet and great quality as far as I can tell however I didn't think too much of the internal shape which I'm discovering now. Went back today to try on a few more, damn those guys are patient and for ****s and giggles I asked for the Shoei for comparison. He handed me the RF-1000 and it seemed to be a near perfect fit. Decided to come home and do a bit more research for Shoei. Most likely I'll wind up back in there tomorrow and deciding between the Shoei RF-1000 or the TZ-R, see what's the better fit.

The HJC's shell seems to big, close to that fishbowl feeling. I think the shoei was a bit slimmer, I just hope what it seems like and what it is is true and not like the HJC. I have a bit of a long oval head and that HJC is definitely for roundheaded people. I may wind up holding off another week or two before I actually purchase the Shoei though. Hopefully tomorrow will tell.
good choice i also find arai lids to be very comfy. if your gonna go with one of the big spenders, you may also want to try one on to see which you like more. i kinda like arai's face shield mechanism better too

Quote:
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

unfortunately the only helmet i possess is my four-wheeling helmet.
girlandherstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I've tried on the Shoei RF-1000 and that's what I'm going with. Funny I've heard horror stories about Arai's shield mechanism.

And yeah I'd be getting something like that if there were closer dirt trails or something. Winter won't work either, 'cause well, no need to (ATV wise).
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar