Will NASCAR ever be as popular as it once was? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #1

Will NASCAR ever be as popular as it once was?

NASCAR is obviously not nearly as popular as it was 10 years ago, and that is most likely due to $4 gas and 9% unemployment. I think the racing now is as exciting as it ever was. TV ratings are up this year, while track attendance is still slumping. I think NASCAR is planning some really great things for the coming years, including the redesign of the CoT in 2013 which will make the cars look almost exactly as they do on the street..I can't wait for that. The Cameros, Mustangs, Challengers, and Toyotas will all look like their real-life counterparts!
Do you think NASCAR will ever be the fastest-growing sport in the world again? Or will it continue to decline in popularity and be relegated to oblivion in the wide world of sports?
Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It could be, if Nascar would make the right changes. Like stop going to 1.5 mile tracks so often. Adding more short tracks and road courses. Make the cars look more like street cars. When they say drivers have at it, mean it. Take the restictor plates off at Dega and Daytona. Try to influence the owners to lower ticket prices. Offer better package deals to come to the track.

I believe the new points system is a step in the right direction. But I don't like how the wild card spots are filled. Other things should be taken in consideration other than winning. Like DNF's, leading laps, top 5's and top 10's. Consistency wins more championships.

Also let the drivers have personalities. Drivers like Kevin Harvick, Kyle Busch, Brad Keselowski, and Carl Edwards are very good for the sport. They don't sound like robots when they get out of the car after the race. Their emotion goes along way.
ayawamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

As soon as people get back on their feet and have some extra disposable cash the seats will fill up again. It's not just NASCAR. There a lot of sporting venues and special events that have had poor attendance the past few years. I like it now because I can sit my big a** down in 2 seats and have room for my cooler. LOL
dario is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's going to be hard. Especially since a lot of the tracks borrowed the money to build all of those empty seats that we see every week. If a few of them go belly up, it will look *really* bad for the sport.
lugaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

relegate this ****e how boring watching a load of kiddy fiddling red necks driving round and round for 500 laps oh it might rain (pace car out) oh one cars going to fast (pace car out)keeeerrap
darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I think Nascar will be as popular as ever soon.
gruffudd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yes
lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The most damaging thing to NASCARs popularity is the evolution of the automobile and NASCARs separation of it's original intent. Being that "stock cars" were raced in competition. The American auto industry was the best in the world when Henry Ford revolutionized their assembly plants, and the auto industry thrived into the '60's and through the '70's, then when the world started to catch on and we continued to let ourselves suffer an energy crisis, the American auto industry fell victim to foreign auto makers (like Toyota etc.) Meanwhile technology was increasing so rapidly in the '80's and '90's and NASCAR also had to change. And that progression led NASCAR away from the "stock car", and the cars turned into pure race cars. NASCAR has separated itself from the local auto distributors and cars from the factory. NASCAR is very popular and one of the best forms of motorsports ever, but even though it maintains it's image as pure American, time and evolution, has diluted what was once a very tight cohesion of the American public.
imported_Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar