Worthy of being arrested? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Worthy of being arrested?

6abc.com: "Kill cops" rant lands man in jail 6/27/08

Should someone be arrested for something like this? Thank of the legal side of it and not emotion. A precedent could be set in the court system if he is convicted on aggravated assault without actually assaulting a single person. I'm not sure that's a good thing at all, even if the guy is an idiot.

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Worthy of being arrested?

Yes. It is no different than yelling fire in a crowded theatre. Freedom of speech covers most things, but it doesn't cover dangerous speech that could lead to harm.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
Regular

Yelling fire is different though. It's creating panic and it's false alarm. At least that's how I see it.

This guy, while a complete ******, did not assault anyone. It would be the equivalent to going on YouTube and finding all the hate videos of people saying all black people should die, all jews should die etc etc and then getting a no knock warrant to knock their door down.

The cops don't give a **** about the people yelling for jews and blacks to die though. This guy called them out and so they retaliated. Which, I can't say that I wouldn't want to do the same thing they did and beat the **** out of the guy for being an idiot, but being an idiot in itself is not a crime.

I could understand the corrupting a minor charge however, but I don't think it warrants a no knock warrant, which is absolutely dangerous to do.

Reddit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

I also vote yes. Why? Because he could be inciting others (youth) to actually go kill cops. I don't think that the punishment should be severe - but I don't think they should just slap his wrist and say no.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Hate speech like you describe is no different in my book...I agree that if you post up that jibberish, you deserve to have your door re-adjusted.

From what I read, he was telling people how to kill cops and such. I didn't read the whole thing because just reading the intro I thought a gun should have accidently malfucntioned and fired during the raid...

But yeah, we have freedom of speech, but if you are going to sit there and instruct people on how to kill someone, you need to be removed from society whether in jail or better yet, permanently. Caudling (sp) this tard will just make him that much more of a leader of the brain dead of this country who will take his instructions and act on them
Old 06-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

i think the arrest is justified.

first off, he is making it as a threat, not just a normal rant. when that happens, if someone feels that their life is in danger, they can file terroristic threats charges. also because he displays and uses the gun during the video, that falls under the lines of aggravated assault. also the fact that he had his 12 year old film it, most likely dyfs will also be contacting him as well.

the arrest is justified. forget the emotional reason, if someone made a video like that about me, i would be filing harassment, terroristic threats charges, and file for a TRO.

btw theres a lot of reasons that you can be arrested for agg assault. the simple posession of a handgun in the commission of a crime, regardless of an injury falls under that category. he committed a crime making the video thus he also gets the agg assault charge. theres a lot of causes for it.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #7
Regular

I can understand that. We will see how the court handles it

Reddit
Old 06-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to meteorachick

btw i don't know if u know this or not...

...when someone files terroristic threats charges, they are put on a warrant. bail is only set upon the arrest of the subject when they call a judge. this is also all based on if they have a criminal history, the circumstances of the situation, etc.

also if a TRO goes into effect, the court has a right to seize any and all weapons within the residence. even if you legally own the guns in your house, if someone has a TRO against you, in 99% of all cases, they take your guns away.

Modified 2004 V6
meteorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

inciting a riot I would think, even though its not really a riot

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Just skimming the preceding posts I don't think aggravated assault, however I'd hope for the possibility of an accessory and conspiracy charges instead. With all the little details, i.e. shooting law enforcement, his position/wife's position in the workforce, and that he has young impressionable children, or child with friends. From what I know Philly is a very racial and hostile area, and apparently we still owe them something despite the numerous chances they are given and their failure to act. But now I'm just being racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorachick View Post
i think the arrest is justified.

first off, he is making it as a threat, not just a normal rant. when that happens, if someone feels that their life is in danger, they can file terroristic threats charges. also because he displays and uses the gun during the video, that falls under the lines of aggravated assault. also the fact that he had his 12 year old film it, most likely dyfs will also be contacting him as well.

the arrest is justified. forget the emotional reason, if someone made a video like that about me, i would be filing harassment, terroristic threats charges, and file for a TRO.

btw theres a lot of reasons that you can be arrested for agg assault. the simple posession of a handgun in the commission of a crime, regardless of an injury falls under that category. he committed a crime making the video thus he also gets the agg assault charge. theres a lot of causes for it.
What she said.. Could not of said it better..
Old 06-30-2008, 02:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Ok now we tread down a very slippery slope when subject like this are breached. I am going to try and be somewhat PC about my answer, but it is hard when talking about a subject of this nature...So here goes:

"When you start punishing people for what they say, " says Carroll, you're undermining the whole basis of freedom in this society."

When I think about what this person said that to "kill cops" and the derogatory comments he made, it outrages any sane human being. Let us for a minute look into my last statement "outrage", strong words, but also attatched to this is at its very base is one thing and that is Emotion. Being outraged is an Emotion. That is a very dangerous thing to let guide you when dealing with our civil liberties and constitutional rights. As the above quote said it is when a person is afraid to say what they think, then it undermines "the whole basis of freedom in this society." Thus however we may feel about what was said it is still this mans right to not like the police and even "rejoice" in the disparity of police. I find it funny that when something that enrages our sense of dencency or normal behavior how we lash out and for that one second throw all meaning of the constitution out and bend it to fit that circumstance. Let use us look at how this will effect us if this precedence is set, of course I setting a worse case scenerio, but please bear with me. If a precendence like this is set then any form of video, sound bite, and post on the web is subject to aproval of any state or local governing body. Thus if one were to say something that opposed one social group, or political party, or ethnic group and the wrong people were offended that person who made said post/video/sound bite is now subject to civil/criminal charges. I am sorry but a person has a right to say and think as they wish, no matter how reprehensible and disgusting their veiws are, it their right to have them and speak on them if they so feel inclined. In the case that is being debated then I would say even he had a right to make a video of this nature. He in no way directly threatened any one officer, or for that matter did he imply he would act on his feelings of hate and discontent towards the any officers as a person or as group. Yet I can on the one hand see corruption of a minor. If this precedence is set then we will have placed upon ourselves one of the greatest rescrictions on our constitutional and god given rights. I feel (and I really hate to sound like a real nut job here) this is a very trecherous step towards a police state. No matter how we feel about what he said, in the end it is his right to say it.

As for the matter of the "TRO" law that was spoken of earlier I think that is a complete misuse of the patriot act (which should have been abolished a few years ago) For in this case some just has to say you said "blah blah blah" and you end up with such things as losing your second admendment right to bear arms, based soley on the word on another. It is for these reasons I do not like "precedences" being set. It is up to the goverment, elected freely by the people, not courts to make laws!!

Any way that is my two cents for what it is worth....Please just remember when dealing with your civil liberties remember to use your head...not your heart, for it is easy to loose them and a 100 times harder to get them back.
New Baby:
1989 5.0 5spd Great plans for this monster!
afinley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Nicely said, couldnt agree more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar