V6 Governed @ 113MPH??? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Well, since you put that spin on it I guess there is really no reason for the GT model, boss model or gt500 models to go over 100 mph either. As you stated the speed limit is not 100 mph here in the United States so why have them go over that. No need for the gt500 to go 200 MPH. Why not put the same 113 limit on all the models? What is good for the goose.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
there is no reason for any road car to go that fast if you ask me. The thought is cool, and I would buy a GT500 any day I had the cash. But with power comes responsibility, and when it comes down to it, if you can use that power responsibly and safely you can have a heck of a good time at 0-60.
rebeltx is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Well, since you put that spin on it I guess there is really no reason for the GT model, boss model or gt500 models to go over 100 mph either. As you stated the speed limit is not 100 mph here in the United States so why have them go over that. No need for the gt500 to go 200 MPH. Why not put the same 113 limit on all the models? What is good for the goose.
I see your point, but the v6 is a cheap way to get a lot of power. The v8 more, boss, 500, you get it. We, in a sense, pay for that bonus. Though the GT500 vert is limited to 155.

Aka, it limits stupidity. Likelihood of someone stupid and immature wasting 60k to be stupid vs 25k.

I hope no one takes offense, here, stupid = wrecklessly driving 100+ mph on public roads with no regard for human life. Only people I am referring to.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
there is no reason for any road car to go that fast if you ask me. The thought is cool, and I would buy a GT500 any day I had the cash. But with power comes responsibility, and when it comes down to it, if you can use that power responsibly and safely you can have a heck of a good time at 0-60.
Then I am sure most the GT owners and gt500 owners wouldn't mind if Ford had placed a top speed of 100 miles per hour on their cars and totally agree with your opinion. So what say you GT and higher members. You completely agree and don't think your 300 plus HP muscle car should go over 100 miles per hour, right?

---------- Post added at 06:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

I see your point, but the v6 is a cheap way to get a lot of power. The v8 more, boss, 500, you get it. We, in a sense, pay for that bonus. Though the GT500 vert is limited to 155.

Aka, it limits stupidity. Likelihood of someone stupid and immature wasting 60k to be stupid vs 25k.

I hope no one takes offense, here, stupid = wrecklessly driving 100+ mph on public roads with no regard for human life. Only people I am referring to.
Hum. Now that's very interesting take on it. Very interesting perspective.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
this crowd is hilarious
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
there is no reason for any road car to go that fast if you ask me. The thought is cool, and I would buy a GT500 any day I had the cash. But with power comes responsibility, and when it comes down to it, if you can use that power responsibly and safely you can have a heck of a good time at 0-60.
So you would pay 60k for a GT500 that went a top speed of 100 MPH? Good deal.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
So you would pay 60k for a GT500 that went a top speed of 100 MPH? Good deal.
for street use, heck yea. The fun is in the acceleration isn't it? thats why a drag strip is a 1/4 mile long and not 5 miles. Have you ever gone 150mph? I have on my motorcycle and it's scary as *****
rebeltx is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx

for street use, heck yea. The fun is in the acceleration isn't it? thats why a drag strip is a 1/4 mile long and not 5 miles. Have you ever gone 150mph? I have on my motorcycle and it's scary as *****
In Japan, the GTR is speed limited until the gps unit sees its location, tracks, raceways, certain locations, where the computer disables the restrictor.

This seems like it is getting a bit heated, but does 22k, being able to get a loan for 22k, or having ones parents give them 22k really come with the trust of not pushing a vehicle beyond its limits?

Be it tires, drive shaft, idiot in the right lane pulling out in front of you without checking, so on, all those factors and more. To me, an entry level base line car doesn t warrant "no governor."

I haven't hit 90 mph yet, lol, I think 86 was my top speed. I agree about the drag strip, too. Am I happy it is limited? Not particularly. Do I think it is wrong to limit a carnlike that? No.

But if you think about it by Fords view, is it smarter or more so dumb to let anyone with 22k be able to buy a car physically limited to 160+ push it beyond the limits the tires/drive shaft would use?

More people buy a v6 for more of just a car compared to anything else.
Who buys a gGT500 for a daily driver? 1/50?
Boss? 1/50?
GT? 1/5?
V6? 1/2?

Now, who buys solely for performance/track use?
GT500?
Boss?
GT?
V6?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (and keep prices low).
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Street cars can be used on a track. They make a "Track Pack" for a reason... There are no speed limits off road.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Street cars can be used on a track. They make a "Track Pack" for a reason... There are no speed limits off road.
Track pack is not much more then gimmick.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Street cars can be used on a track. They make a "Track Pack" for a reason... There are no speed limits off road.
No one said they didn't...I don't think.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

+1

13s usually have the newer drive shaft.

In other threads its been discussed to earths end that ita because of power. The driveshaft can only take so much. It happened at 130+, and its happened at 60 ish, all full throttle. I'm no expert, but just rotational speed does not make sense to break the drove shaft. True, it is probably a factor, but the drive shaft spins the same speed at 6000 rpms in 1st, 6th, and all between. People have been to 150 on unrestricted roads and been fine.

The key to this, is invest in your abuse. You want to thrash it? Buy the warranty and no mods, or go drive shaft, suspension, power, tuner, or whatever. Just remember other drivers, please
So am what I'm hearing is that if I want to operate my car under normal use which at times includes full power. Wot throttle and quick of the line starts I'm covered under warranty but once my warranty is up I should upgrade the driveshaft should it break?
Break from a faulty design in the first place? Where is this evidence of a broken driveshaft at 60 mph? Because if my breaks under normal use Ford is going to hear about.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

But only two videos.. One one a Dyno and one one the road. And ZERO confirmation from anyone that matters.
+500000000000000
And urban legend escalates.
Midnight2012 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012

So am what I'm hearing is that if I want to operate my car under normal use which at times includes full power. Wot throttle and quick of the line starts I'm covered under warranty but once my warranty is up I should upgrade the driveshaft should it break?
Break from a faulty design in the first place? Where is this evidence of a broken driveshaft at 60 mph? Because if my breaks under normal use Ford is going to hear about.

---------- Post added at 05:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------



+500000000000000
And urban legend escalates.
I did not personally see it, its on one of the MANY other threads on this, but with heavy modifications, tuning, and severe abuse, it does not surprise me any. Is it common? I don't think so.

You're probably not hearing it, more likely reading it...lol, but yes. If one breaks something under/covered by warranty, you get a new/replaced one! If you twin turbo, tune, exhaust, don't expect Ford to replace your tranny, drive shaft, so on.

I doubt one needs to upgrade the drive shaft for daily driving and recreational track use, but I'm not an expert. I would guess tires would be smarter, sooner. But to each their own!
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
When it comes down to it, the drive shaft snapping has NOTHING to do with speed. It's all about toque and rotational mass. ultimately, the shaft's that snap at 130ish are because of the huge amount of constant torque that it takes to spin the wheels that fast. You take that and factor in wind, elevation, tire width, wheel size, weight of the car, the weight that has been added (you+gas) and so on...take this into consideration and you can quickly see why people snap at a wide range of MPH. Something as simple as a 15mph head wind increases the force it takes to maintain speed exponentially. When it comes down to it, even the aluminum drive shaft could snap on a hard enough launch in a car with enough power. it's all about torque

Moving on to the 113MPH limiter issue......

If you really want an opinion.... All you guys removing your limiters on a street ran V6 need a reality check, and i'll tell you why... where is there a speed limit over 100mph in the US? none. when was the last time you NEEDED to go 100mph? never. And when was the last time your mustang ran a 11.xx at over 110mph? you didnt, and you would snap the shaft on the launch, not the end of the track at that point..... should I keep going?.. how about haveing your car seized for reckless driving and your license suspended. Or, if you really want a dose of reality, take a second to think about this.... how you would explain to you best friends parents why there son or daughter wont be coming home because you wanted to be a hot shot...

still worth it?

Im no saint, I speed sometimes and I love to get on it off the line like the rest of you. But there comes a point where you have to take a step back... and thats why Im going to share a short story with you.

I wrapped my first car around a tree and almost killed myself and best friend. It was a reality check for sure, a foot more and we would have both been dead. Sadly, later that year that same friends little brother was also involved in an accident. Kody A. Soeder passed on Saturday, Feb. 9th at 16 years of age when he was involved in a traffic accident. Kody had been driving home from a friends house, going less than 45mph when he was side swiped and run off the road by a speeding sports car that could not maintain it's lain due to high speed. His truck ran into a ditch after being swiped, Kody suffered serious head trama from the whiplash into his window from the side swipe, by the time EMS arrived less than 10 min later he had passed. The driver of the sports car, a 24 year old college student, just like you and I, will spend the next 10 years in jail and many more on probation because he wanted to go fast. Needless to say, I would never look at speeding or street racing the same after that. Before that day I looked at speeding and red light races as victimless fun, I couldn't have been more wrong.

This is just one reason I get so heated when the top speed topic comes up, it's not worth your life to go fast, and it's even less worth the life of someone else. You can all say you don't go those speeds on the road but most of you are full of it.... I guess what this all comes down to is, Yes the 3.7 mustang has a speed limited to 113mph but as long as you drive that car on the street you should leave that limit there and never hit it.

Sorry for the rant, I hope a point has been made here and maybe, just maybe, some of you will see the logic here and leave your limiters alone as long as your on the street and drive with a little more care.

Thanks.
+1, let's all be safe. It's not just yourself you can kill, god forbid, it could be one of our children also! I think that's something we can all agree on.
MrMike is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 10:17 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Here's that post I read about the aftermarket driveshafts.


http://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s1...ft-fail-3.html
Midnight2012 is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
I think we kind of got side tracked on what the OP was asking. All he or she wanted to know was how to remove the 113 MPH speed limiter. We all kind of gone off on a tangent. Answer is simple. Get a performance tuner and that will solve the speed limit issue.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ntbruncie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: PHOENIX
Region: Arizona
Posts: 997
I would love to get a aftermarket light weight drive shaft. Its like 30 pounds less the engine has to spin. Less weight=more power. Ive already decided if im going to get a tuner im going to get a driveshaft as well.
Ntbruncie is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Well dang now all I can find is that one guy who was lucky enough to have his blow at exactly the same time he was stupid enough to drive 135 with a camcorder in one hand.
There is a black v6 with a billet grille and a white mustang on a dyno. Those are the other videos I've come across on the tube

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
Just let me point out that that is ridiculously unsafe, if you crash at that speed you are going to be killed. Two kid at my school crashed this year at 100 mph and they where both killed instantly and brutally. Now I'm not saying that it is guaranteed that you will die, but you will.

Secondly, all you v6 owners always say how the v8 is more dangerous than a v6, but when they can both go past 100mph without issues then that theory is totally pointless.
Look at my signature lol

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

What I hate is when you do get to the magic number it just taps out the throttle. At least let me have some feedback instead of killing my gas :/ 115 feels like 80 to me in the new 11-13 suspension. Same for the camaro. Which btw has a higher limit
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
I think we kind of got side tracked on what the OP was asking. All he or she wanted to know was how to remove the 113 MPH speed limiter. We all kind of gone off on a tangent. Answer is simple. Get a performance tuner and that will solve the speed limit issue.
True, but it was answered in one word in one post...tuner. Lol. And if we keep this alive, maybe someone will read it instead of starting another thread about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie
I would love to get a aftermarket light weight drive shaft. Its like 30 pounds less the engine has to spin. Less weight=more power. Ive already decided if im going to get a tuner im going to get a driveshaft as well.
Depends on your year and aftermarket driveshaft, unless you mean rotational mass.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular
 
Ntbruncie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: PHOENIX
Region: Arizona
Posts: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

True, but it was answered in one word in one post...tuner. Lol. And if we keep this alive, maybe someone will read it instead of starting another thread about it...

Depends on your year and aftermarket driveshaft, unless you mean rotational mass.
I have a 2012 v6 . From what I've read is that the stock shaft ways like 42lbs compared to the aftermarket that weighs on 19lbs
Ntbruncie is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie

I have a 2012 v6 . From what I've read is that the stock shaft ways like 42lbs compared to the aftermarket that weighs on 19lbs
Depends which after market you go. I don't think the 700 USD one on AM is that lite, I think the carbon fiber ones are like 15 ish, but don't quote me. Those are twice the price. And the later 2013s have a less heavy shaft.

From my experience, one lb rotating equals carrying four lbs in your car, but others say as much as 10 lbs in car to one rotating.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: South Carolina
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

+1

I have never heard of this before, v8 danger vs v6, but the v8 having 33%+ more power than the v6, usually bad things don't happen at a constant speed compared to accelerating, spinning tires on a start and losing control, too much throttle on a turn, so on. Plus, the v8 has worse understeer.

I am not saying it isa reason not to get a v8, but in reality, it would be more so dangerous to drive a v8 in a spirited manner than a v6.

13s usually have the newer drive shaft.

In other threads its been discussed to earths end that ita because of power. The driveshaft can only take so much. It happened at 130+, and its happened at 60 ish, all full throttle. I'm no expert, but just rotational speed does not make sense to break the drove shaft. True, it is probably a factor, but the drive shaft spins the same speed at 6000 rpms in 1st, 6th, and all between. People have been to 150 on unrestricted roads and been fine.

The key to this, is invest in your abuse. You want to thrash it? Buy the warranty and no mods, or go drive shaft, suspension, power, tuner, or whatever. Just remember other drivers, please
Negatory, the driveshaft spins faster the faster you're going, it's after the gearbox not before it. So the failure is most likely speed related seeing at it was spinning above 12000+ rpm
Dgoebel is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 01:41 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgoebel

Negatory, the driveshaft spins faster the faster you're going, it's after the gearbox not before it. So the failure is most likely speed related seeing at it was spinning above 12000+ rpm
Interesting!
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #59
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
You don't void the warranty of your whole car by doing one thing. You just void what you modify and what it affects. A driveshaft has no impact on anything, besides being stronger and lower mass. It shouldn't void any warranties. Exhaust, by itself, shouldn't void any warranties.

Tuning affects the ECM and everything it controls: timing, fuel, transmission (autos), and can thus void those warranties if something goes wrong.
Changing the driveshaft with the stock speed limiter is not required; the stock two piece is fine for those speeds. To lift the limiter, a tuner is required, and Ford will be able to see that the top speed was changed. Plus, they can read what the top speed was driven at. That will most likely cause warranty issues if something in the driveline fails.

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I think we kind of got side tracked on what the OP was asking. All he or she wanted to know was how to remove the 113 MPH speed limiter. We all kind of gone off on a tangent. Answer is simple. Get a performance tuner and that will solve the speed limit issue.
And his drive train warranty if he goes beyond the factory top speed limiter. I don't think the OP knew this perhaps when he was considering lifting the top speed. He did mention he only has 1700 miles on it currently. IMO, not worth raising the speed limiter and loosing the warranty. At least wait until after the 36K bumper to bumper.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgoebel View Post

Negatory, the driveshaft spins faster the faster you're going, it's after the gearbox not before it. So the failure is most likely speed related seeing at it was spinning above 12000+ rpm
12,000? Is that like a Honda spoon motor or something? Lol just blindly being stupid
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
i kinda wish all cars were like the GTR in that they are limited to a max speed in japan unless they are on a track then a GPS system disables the limiter lol
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgoebel View Post
Negatory, the driveshaft spins faster the faster you're going, it's after the gearbox not before it. So the failure is most likely speed related seeing at it was spinning above 12000+ rpm
Impossible for these cars. Our 1:1 ratio gear is 5th. That means it's exactly what RPM you're engine is. To even hit 10k rpms, you'd have to be hitting redline in 6th gear at 224mph (3.73 gears).

Interesting facts though on rpm...
3rd gear, 2.73, 6200rpm~, 115mph: Driveshaft- 3765rpm
4th gear, 3.73, 6300rpm~, 115mph: Driveshaft- 5162rpm

6th gear, 2.73, 1850rpm, 80mph: Driveshaft- 2642rpm
6th gear, 3.73, 2500rpm, 80mph: Driveshaft- 3571rpm

Big jump in rpms when switching to 3.73s. Question: what gear set did that kid that broke his driveshaft have?

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 AM ----------

Oh, one last food for thought. To reach the same driveshaft rpm as 3.73s @ 115mph, you'd have to be going 160mph in 4th gear with 2.73s
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #63
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
there is no reason for any road car to go that fast if you ask me. The thought is cool, and I would buy a GT500 any day I had the cash. But with power comes responsibility, and when it comes down to it, if you can use that power responsibly and safely you can have a heck of a good time at 0-60.
Amen. It's more about 0 to speed limit times rather than top speed IMO. These types of cars are set up for a track, hence the higher speed capability.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
It's a V6 commuter car with some pep.. It was built to support lower volume sales of GT's etc, not to be race cars.. Like it or not these are the FACTS since the 1st model Mustang... Want a safe high speed car from the factory.. Buy a GT or higher trim level.. It's always been this way and always will....... Open your eyes and use logic... The facts are right there in front of you.... 50 years worth... Worse then a gang of 'Ricers'. Geeeezzzzz
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
It's a V6 commuter car with some pep.. It was built to support lower volume sales of GT's etc, not to be race cars.. Like it or not these are the FACTS since the 1st model Mustang... Want a safe high speed car from the factory.. Buy a GT or higher trim level.. It's always been this way and always will....... Open your eyes and use logic... The facts are right there in front of you.... 50 years worth... Worse then a gang of 'Ricers'. Geeeezzzzz
As moderator you should learn a less biased opinion. Things have changed. It is no longer that way.
The GT of 1965 had an Sae Gross HP of around 273 which is roughly 218 Sae net. 1965 had a straight six.
Today's V6 has an Sae net of 305 horsepower and runs as strong in a quarter mile as the original Boss 351 and out performs the original Boss 302. It also handles better. The facts are things have changed and yours is a biased opinion. It indeed is marketed to be raced. 1965 Mustang V6's or any V6 up to 2011 can't be compared.
Midnight2012 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

As moderator you should learn a less biased opinion. Things have changed. It is no longer that way.
The GT of 1965 had an Sae Gross HP of around 273 which is roughly 218 Sae net. 1965 had a straight six.
Today's V6 has an Sae net of 305 horsepower and runs as strong in a quarter mile as the original Boss 351 and out performs the original Boss 302. It also handles better. The facts are things have changed and yours is a biased opinion. It indeed is marketed to be raced. 1965 Mustang V6's or any V6 up to 2011 can't be compared.
It is exactly that way. Look up the commercials...
My status on this or any other site has zero bearing on my personal opinion.
The commercials depict secretaries trading their Hondas in for American cars.. My opinion was not to hurt your feelings, which they obviously did.

Please post something to the contrary of my opinion from Ford, like a commercial or ad. No such ad exists..


The fact that it's limited at 113 or whatever it is says it all.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Also, the 370Z is a poster Nissan sports car for under $40k. The V6 Mustang is every bit its equal, despite being half the price.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Also, the 370Z is a poster Nissan sports car for under $40k. The V6 Mustang is every bit its equal, despite being half the price.
Even when the stock V6 is passed at 113...?
Interesting.. No one is denying the new 6's are great cars.. For what they are... They're not GT cars.. GT=Gran Touring.......

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

And I'm saying that w/o V6 and 4cyl mustangs there'd be no V8's and they wouldn't have made it 50 years.. Please learn when you are being complimented and thanked.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Even when the stock V6 is passed at 113...?
Interesting.. No one is denying the new 6's are great cars.. For what they are... They're not GT cars.. GT=Gran Touring.......
We'll keep it on a track with a short straight.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

We'll keep it on a track with a short straight.
Lol right!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



04:06 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.