V6 Governed @ 113MPH??? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
It's actually sad that even in most tests, with the V6 banging the speed limiter down the straight, it still out runs the cars it's competing against. It's also probably the only live-axle car still in production as a 'sports' car too.
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
It's actually sad that even in most tests, with the V6 banging the speed limiter down the straight, it still out runs the cars it's competing against. It's also probably the only live-axle car still in production as a 'sports' car too.
All true.. I believe it is the last live axel
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
2013mustang5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cream ridge
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
i kinda wish all cars were like the GTR in that they are limited to a max speed in japan unless they are on a track then a GPS system disables the limiter lol
That honestly is a great Idea this would save lots of lives for idiots speeding on highways in the us
__________________
2013 mustang 5.0 track pack(first mustang)
2013mustang5.0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

That honestly is a great Idea this would save lots of lives for idiots speeding on highways in the us
Yes, lets give up every possible freedom we have because some people are stupid. You think traffic is bad now?
wheelman is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
I'm guessing that the driveshaft breaking is only one concern when it was decided to put the speed limiter on. Stock brakes, tires and suspension combined with the average driver at 100+mph is a recipe for death.
Skulls98GT is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
I'm guessing that the driveshaft breaking is only one concern when it was decided to put the speed limiter on. Stock brakes, tires and suspension combined with the average driver at 100+mph is a recipe for death.
I'm sure the suspension on the 11 plus v6 is more than capable of handling speeds in excess of 130 plus. Now tires, I would agree that the stock tires used on my 11 v6 are not speed rated of 130. That's an easy fix. Just get higher speed rated tires. Brakes, The brakes on my 11 v6 are just great and can handle traveling speeds greater than 113. Come on now.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT
I'm guessing that the driveshaft breaking is only one concern when it was decided to put the speed limiter on. Stock brakes, tires and suspension combined with the average driver at 100+mph is a recipe for death.
I see your point, but people here have said 120 up is fine on stock springs, and I doubt braking is so much a deal. If I had to hazard a guess, I think tires most importantly, then drive shaft.

And yea, 22k is a cheap price for a giant 300 Hp bullet.
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular
 
Skulls98GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Falls
Region: Minnesota
Posts: 456
I guess what I'm saying is with all thing combined, including the average driver, mind you. It is a concern for car manufactures. Those damn liability lawsuits can really burn a company to the ground in a hurry.

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
I guess what I'm saying is with all thing combined, including the average driver, mind you. It is a concern for car manufactures. Those damn liability lawsuits can really burn a company to the ground in a hurry.
I'm not calling anybody here average... Just saying a majority of people that buy a V6 ARE in fact average drivers. AND thank god for those people or we may have had the same demise as the slomarow.
Skulls98GT is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #79
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Average driver can't buy a 5.0?

NEW 5.0 MUSTANG EPIC FAIL!!! - YouTube
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
As moderator you should learn a less biased opinion. Things have changed. It is no longer that way.
The GT of 1965 had an Sae Gross HP of around 273 which is roughly 218 Sae net. 1965 had a straight six.
Today's V6 has an Sae net of 305 horsepower and runs as strong in a quarter mile as the original Boss 351 and out performs the original Boss 302. It also handles better. The facts are things have changed and yours is a biased opinion. It indeed is marketed to be raced. 1965 Mustang V6's or any V6 up to 2011 can't be compared.
He isnt a mod so he can be as unbiased as he wants lol.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
When Ford produced the 11 sixer it changed the game for the little V6. Prior to 2011 the V6 was all looks but no power and performance. The stock11 plus V6's are putting up 0-60 and quarter mile numbers almost equal to the 10 GT models. The power in the V6 is right there with 10 and under Gt models.

Unfortunately Gt owners really hate the reality of this because the 2010 Gt cost 5 to 7 thousand more than the current V6 model and not much more power. Maybe 2 tenths second difference. What driveshaft does Ford use on the 10 Gt or 11 Gt that's a different driveshaft than the 11 plus V6. Let's be honest, Ford could manufacturer a 2015 V6 model that produces 405 HP, 350 torque and the V8 guys would still say the v6 isn't a performance type vehicle. It ain't a GT. The 10 GT was the cats meow with 315 HP and 325 torque. Now the 11 v6 plus has 305 HP, 280 torque. There is maybe 2 tenths of a difference in numbers giving the edge to the 10 Gt yet the 11 isn't a real performance type vehicle. Funny how that is.

Is there any documentation from Ford that shows the types of driveshaft they use in the V6 model and Gt models?
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
Sanguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Is there any documentation from Ford that shows the types of driveshaft they use in the V6 model and Gt models?
They are different. What the difference is, I have no idea. If we had one to measure length and stuff and compare, we'd know. Some have said the length is different... but I don't see how. They have the same transmissions and rear ends (different ratios though). WHY won't a V8 driveshaft work?
__________________
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob


'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

They are different. What the difference is, I have no idea. If we had one to measure length and stuff and compare, we'd know. Some have said the length is different... but I don't see how. They have the same transmissions and rear ends (different ratios though). WHY won't a V8 driveshaft work?
I keep hearing from people on the forum how the V6 driveshaft is way less quality than the Gt driveshaft. Is there any spec sheets that show this. Just curious. Has Ford said they use a way less inferior driveshaft on the v6 models compared to the Gt models. Is it possible the driveshaft on the one car exploded because of another issue and not because the driveshaft is not as good? Did Ford ever give any statements saying the driveshaft is a different strength than the Gt models?

I clearly recognize the V6 is no where in the league of the 11 plus v8 but its still a performance like vehicle and is running numbers as good as 10 and under Gt models. The v6 is no joke especially with a 400 dollar performance tuner.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

They are different. What the difference is, I have no idea. If we had one to measure length and stuff and compare, we'd know. Some have said the length is different... but I don't see how. They have the same transmissions and rear ends (different ratios though). WHY won't a V8 driveshaft work?
I just called a Ford dealership and spoke with there parts department. The V8 has a different part number and will not fit on the V6 model. The was no specs on whether the driveshaft was a leas quality. The parts department never heard such a thing of the v6 driveshaft being a less quality than the v8 driveshaft.

I just called a second Ford dealership and spoke with the service department and parts department. They said the part number is different, different lengths, but the quality of the stock driveshafts are the same and manufactured same. The service manager said he has never seen a driveshaft explode and if one did then that person has abused the hell out of there car.

No one from Ford has ever heard the Gt driveshaft is better quality than the V6 models. Are there any Ford mechanics here on the Forum who can confirm the construction is of less quality. Or was this a media scare to V6 mustang owners to help increase driveshaft sales for aftermarket companies.

If I owned a company who made and sold aftermarket driveshafts then I would run the fact how the stock driveshaft on the V6 are less quality. Especially after the few out there broke. How many V6 owners have had this problem with there driveshaft exploding at high speeds. Two maybe three documented cases out of how many thousands of modded stangs.

We don't know how much abuse that driver puts on his mustang. He must of beat the snot out of it prior to it exploding. The tires on the V6 are definitely not the same tires used on the GT models. I'll give you that.
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Yes, lets give up every possible freedom we have because some people are stupid. You think traffic is bad now?
Im sorry but this post gave me cancer
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

Im sorry but this post gave me cancer
2 bad 4 u
wheelman is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

Im sorry but this post gave me cancer
That's not even funny dude.. Seriously.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
2 bad 4 u
Yeah guess so
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
That's not even funny dude.. Seriously.
Same goes for your god posts in the v6 section i guess...not funny huh lol


The point is using our freedom as an argument to drive those speeds is stupid beyond belief. My unbiased approach stops with that type of mentality
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular
 
wheelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

Yeah guess so

Same goes for your god posts in the v6 section i guess...not funny huh lol

The point is using our freedom as an argument to drive those speeds is stupid beyond belief. My unbiased approach stops with that type of mentality
Drive what speeds? 66mph? I'm just not in favor of some government-regulated speed limiter because I'm not a socialist or communist. If you are, feel free to move. I'm pretty sure the idea will tank really, really hard here in the U.S.
wheelman is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
I believe the fastest road in the us is 120mph....if all vehicles were limited to not exceed that when not on a track what would be the harm? Are you telling me you have a legal reason you need to have a car travel any faster on the street?
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

It is exactly that way. Look up the commercials...
My status on this or any other site has zero bearing on my personal opinion.
The commercials depict secretaries trading their Hondas in for American cars.. My opinion was not to hurt your feelings, which they obviously did.

Please post something to the contrary of my opinion from Ford, like a commercial or ad. No such ad exists..

The fact that it's limited at 113 or whatever it is says it all.
You can't hurt my feelings. I can afford just about any car I choose. I've owned many and have been a fan and driven Mustangs since they were released. I've lived through the commercials. And the game HAS changed. In fact the commercials were out long before secretaries were driving Hondas. A Honda was a laughed at motor scooter and a Corolla was a joke.
When people grow up they find no need to brag that mine is bigger than yours. I think some of the replies to this I've read say it the best. But today's 3.7 would scare the crap out of many secretaries.
Midnight2012 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

Yeah guess so

Same goes for your god posts in the v6 section i guess...not funny huh lol

The point is using our freedom as an argument to drive those speeds is stupid beyond belief. My unbiased approach stops with that type of mentality
Cancer kills ppl.. Seriously..
Not even a comparison guy.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:12 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
2013mustang5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cream ridge
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post

Yes, lets give up every possible freedom we have because some people are stupid. You think traffic is bad now?
I'm not talking at posted speed limits it should be like limited to 100 on public roads. Where I'm from you can't even do 80 the highway it's so crowded
__________________
2013 mustang 5.0 track pack(first mustang)
2013mustang5.0 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

You can't hurt my feelings. I can afford just about any car I choose. I've owned many and have been a fan and driven Mustangs since they were released. I've lived through the commercials. And the game HAS changed. In fact the commercials were out long before secretaries were driving Hondas. A Honda was a laughed at motor scooter and a Corolla was a joke.
When people grow up they find no need to brag that mine is bigger than yours. I think some of the replies to this I've read say it the best. But today's 3.7 would scare the crap out of many secretaries.
commercials for the NEW Mustang.
Anywho.. IDC
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular
 
2013mustang5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cream ridge
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I believe the fastest road in the us is 120mph....if all vehicles were limited to not exceed that when not on a track what would be the harm? Are you telling me you have a legal reason you need to have a car travel any faster on the street?
Where is this road located lol?
__________________
2013 mustang 5.0 track pack(first mustang)
2013mustang5.0 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

He isnt a mod so he can be as unbiased as he wants lol.
My bad I don't speak Latin.
Midnight2012 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Cancer kills ppl.. Seriously..
Not even a comparison guy.
Have you had cancer? I have had my close call with it...along with it being prevalent in my family....i think being light hearted on the subject is the best way to handle it...if it offends you apologies to you.
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I believe the fastest road in the us is 120mph....if all vehicles were limited to not exceed that when not on a track what would be the harm? Are you telling me you have a legal reason you need to have a car travel any faster on the street?
Where is this road?
Midnight2012 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #99
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
My bad I don't speak Latin.
It's all good
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #100
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
You know a person can drive safely at speeds greater than 120 plus. Speed does not always constitute negligence. A person can drive safe at high speeds. A person can drive negligent at 55 MPH or 65 MPH.

But getting back to the speed limiter. I would be concerned about traveling 130 plus with the stock tires because there not designed and speed rated for such speeds. That would be my conclusion on why Ford puts a speed governor on the V6 because they use different tires than the GT model and the Michelin all season tires my 11 v6 came with is not very high speed rated. It has nothing to do with the braking system. Not a less inferior driveshaft. All nonsense
2011 Kona Blue is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Where is this road?
NM if i recall...let me double check
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular
 
Midnight2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: So Cal
Region: California
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

I'm not talking at posted speed limits it should be like limited to 100 on public roads. Where I'm from you can't even do 80 the highway it's so crowded
Here in lCalifornia if you don't drive 80 they will run you over. Now don't try that during rush hour but they do.
Midnight2012 is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post

Have you had cancer? I have had my close call with it...along with it being prevalent in my family....i think being light hearted on the subject is the best way to handle it...if it offends you apologies to you.
Not personally but it killed my grandmother(my daughters name sake), killed an aunt, another aunt is battling breast cancer again, skin cancer killed my grandfather(melanoma), my dad gets melanoma spots from being in the sun without sunblock, and a best friend had throat cancer and now is battling brain cancer. It's not something I take lightly at all. Glad to hear you survived your bout and hope you don't have to go back down that road at any time, because it can happen...
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
I retract that speed from 120 to 85...seems tx is looking into raising it to over 100 in certain spots though...that was a fun read. Still the limiter idea works well
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #105
Registered Member
Regular
 
1slosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 7,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Not personally but it killed my grandmother(my daughters name sake), killed an aunt, another aunt is battling breast cancer again, skin cancer killed my grandfather(melanoma), my dad gets melanoma spots from being in the sun without sunblock, and a best friend had throat cancer and now is battling brain cancer. It's not something I take lightly at all. Glad to hear you survived your bout and hope you don't have to go back down that road at any time, because it can happen...
I agree it can...which is why i live lighthearted on the subject. Prayers to your family. Ok back to the fun debate...which i moved to the bar to give you guys more lee way. I think ill back out though because im anti-freedom apparently lol
__________________

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline  
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:05 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.