V6 Governed @ 113MPH??? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slosix View Post
I retract that speed from 120 to 85...seems tx is looking into raising it to over 100 in certain spots though...that was a fun read. Still the limiter idea works well
Also, I think they should remove all radios from the cars that way its way less distracting. (Rolling eyes and drooling with sarcasm).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:32 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I retract that speed from 120 to 85...seems tx is looking into raising it to over 100 in certain spots though...that was a fun read. Still the limiter idea works well
Thanks
But based on the analogy then the limiter on all cars should be the same. Limit what I'm allowed to drive but don't limit the machine.

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Also, I think they should remove all radios from the cars that way its way less distracting. (Rolling eyes and drooling with sarcasm).
Lordy now they have iPads in the dash. Soon cars that drive themselves.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:35 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

The fact that cars can go 130 plus is not what the majority of accidents are. Its people not paying attention and driving with there heads up there a$$. There are more fatal accidents on US roads than on the autobon and they have no speed limit. How is that possible when cars can travel 130 plus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Lets be honest European driving instruction for young drivers is of a much higher caliber the in the us...heck anyone can pass a driving test here.

carving corners like a boss
Old 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Lets be honest European driving instruction for young drivers is of a much higher caliber the in the us...heck anyone can pass a driving test here.
Fact. They have very tough standards on new motorcycle riders too.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Here in lCalifornia if you don't drive 80 they will run you over. Now don't try that during rush hour but they do.
Right!!!

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote:
The fact that cars can go 130 plus is not what the majority of accidents are. Its people not paying attention and driving with there heads up there a$$. There are more fatal accidents on US roads than on the autobon and they have no speed limit. How is that possible when cars can travel 130 plus?
+100
Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Does anybody know if the V6 model with the performance package and 18 inch z rated tires has the 113 speed limiter on it?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does anybody know if the V6 model with the performance package and 18 inch z rated tires has the 113 speed limiter on it?
Yes it does. I honestly believe they set it for insurance reasons and nothing else.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.0 View Post

That honestly is a great Idea this would save lots of lives for idiots speeding on highways in the us
I speed. I'm no idiot. I use common sense. That is all.

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
I'm guessing that the driveshaft breaking is only one concern when it was decided to put the speed limiter on. Stock brakes, tires and suspension combined with the average driver at 100+mph is a recipe for death.
I can handle it. But I never hit this speed unless i know what I'm doing or am in a complete awake state and not just auto pilot driving like many of us do.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
It's a V6 commuter car with some pep.. It was built to support lower volume sales of GT's etc, not to be race cars.. Like it or not these are the FACTS since the 1st model Mustang... Want a safe high speed car from the factory.. Buy a GT or higher trim level.. It's always been this way and always will....... Open your eyes and use logic... The facts are right there in front of you.... 50 years worth... Worse then a gang of 'Ricers'. Geeeezzzzz
This is an interesting perspective on your perception of what a commuter car would be. Very interesting to say the 2011 plus V6 has some PEP. I guess the 2010 Gt must only have some pep according to you by your standards. Would that be accurate or am I misunderstanding you.

I find it very interesting how the 11 plus V6 is running 1/4 mile times between 13.9 to 14.1 stock mind you with 2.73 gears too boot and that's just a little commuter car with pep. Yet the stock 2010 Gt is running 1/4 mile times almost the same as the V6 and yet this is high performance and the big bad V8. I must be missing something but 4 banger, 6 banger, 8 banger or whatever banger, fast is fast no matter what cylinder a vehicle has.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

I read a page, now is where the ignorant, blind sided teenager comes in. Ill admit. I speed. I was an average driver in my old v6 with its massive 190 hp stock. I rode that clutch hard and replaced it due to ignorance and laziness in shifting. After that I learned to drive like a GT academy driver. I must admit I'm quite damn good at it.

Point is, if you're looking at "why are you asking about governing @113 when you have no business going over 85?" Well ill tell you and many other speed junkies and gear heads will say, it's fun to be fast and loud. Myself am disappointed in my 2012 v6. I love the mid range power and the stats of previous GT's. some aren't upgrading the stock equipment to go faster. Most are upgrading to make it safer and more reliable at any speed. I am because I love to play and go fast. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm used to these speeds on interstates and strips I would be scared to death of it. I know how to drive. And why would a GT owner but a GT and not speed? Either trim will get you up to a speed that can kill you which is as low as 35.
Its alot of typing but I'm gonna have a bad time since I have my opinion and "reckless" habits on the Internet. My grammar may be off, sorry.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Its only a few parts, now. But valid none the less. Where did you get your numbers from?

And the reason we have more accidents is pretty simple. Do you know how big Germany is? Its a bit bigger than Ohio.
Ohio to Germany would be a good comparison lol. Also keep in mind the size of our personal transit interstructure in the US, while Germany has a greater focus on public transport. Another factor is how many cars per people. More cars out, more idiots out and getting into accidents.

Also, especially in northern Europe, the driving instruction is meticulous. In Finland it is a several YEAR process Lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Its only a few parts, now. But valid none the less. Where did you get your numbers from?

And the reason we have more accidents is pretty simple. Do you know how big Germany is? Its a bit bigger than Ohio.
Ohio to Germany would be a good comparison lol. Also keep in mind the size of our personal transit interstructure in the US, while Germany has a greater focus on public transport. Another factor is how many cars per people. More cars out, more idiots out and getting into accidents.

Also, especially in northern Europe, the driving instruction is meticulous. In Finland it is a several YEAR process Lol
There are actually less accidents on US roadways where the speed limit is 75 compared to it being 55 mph. Speed does not constitute negligent driving. If it was so dangerous to travel at 75 MPH then there would not be roadways where it was that speed. If the autobon was killing so many people due to speed I am sure there would be a speed limit.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There are actually less accidents on US roadways where the speed limit is 75 compared to it being 55 mph. Speed does not constitute negligent driving. If it was so dangerous to travel at 75 MPH then there would not be roadways where it was that speed. If the autobon was killing so many people due to speed I am sure there would be a speed limit.
+100
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I wasn't saying that! Lol
I agreed with the POINT you were making, but just asked to see your numbers / sources. The US is 25-50 times the size of Germany...no kidding we have more accidents. We have a lower car/person ratio...of course we have more accidents.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

This is an interesting perspective on your perception of what a commuter car would be. Very interesting to say the 2011 plus V6 has some PEP. I guess the 2010 Gt must only have some pep according to you by your standards. Would that be accurate or am I misunderstanding you.

I find it very interesting how the 11 plus V6 is running 1/4 mile times between 13.9 to 14.1 stock mind you with 2.73 gears too boot and that's just a little commuter car with pep. Yet the stock 2010 Gt is running 1/4 mile times almost the same as the V6 and yet this is high performance and the big bad V8. I must be missing something but 4 banger, 6 banger, 8 banger or whatever banger, fast is fast no matter what cylinder a vehicle has.
The 2010 'GT' is a GT and marketed as such and is prepped from the factory for speeds above 113mph. Neither of the two cars are surpassing the 113mph speed limiter in 1/4 mile so your example although interesting I guess, is in no way relevant.

To my knowledge there are no 'Urban Legends' of ANY GT having catastrophic safety failures at speeds above the 113mph limit of the 11+ V6.

The difference is like I stated above, it's common knowledge that the V6 and GT Mustangs are different cars with different features, and do not require a tune or tires or anything else for that matter to pass the 113mph limit of the 11+ V6.

If you feel Ford made this decision in error, then bringing this to their attention will be your best bet. I'm merely stating the obvious facts, it appears you are trying to make rationalizations and you are not being logical or rational at all.

I've stated my opinion and the logic I use, and clearly some don't agree.. That's fine.. Enjoy your car and I'll enjoy mine... Enjoy the forms.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I wasn't saying that! Lol
I agreed with the POINT you were making, but just asked to see your numbers / sources. The US is 25-50 times the size of Germany...no kidding we have more accidents. We have a lower car/person ratio...of course we have more accidents.
http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/faq
Old 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not a single thing was mentioned about the autobahn or Germany, and some of that information isn't accurate.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a little something to compare our measly secretaries car to:

THE 1969 FORD MUSTANG MACH 1 COBRA JET
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.0
Weight, lbs: 3,600
Number built: 13,261
Base price: $3,500
Standard Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 428
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 10.6:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 335 @ 5200
Torque @ rpm: 440 @ 3400
Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 5.7
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 13.9 @ 103

These were fun cars. Look at that torque. Speed limited? No
Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The 2010 'GT' is a GT and marketed as such and is prepped from the factory for speeds above 113mph. Neither of the two cars are surpassing the 113mph speed limiter in 1/4 mile so your example although interesting I guess, is in no way relevant.

To my knowledge there are no 'Urban Legends' of ANY GT having catastrophic safety failures at speeds above the 113mph limit of the 11+ V6.

The difference is like I stated above, it's common knowledge that the V6 and GT Mustangs are different cars with different features, and do not require a tune or tires or anything else for that matter to pass the 113mph limit of the 11+ V6.

If you feel Ford made this decision in error, then bringing this to their attention will be your best bet. I'm merely stating the obvious facts, it appears you are trying to make rationalizations and you are not being logical or rational at all.

I've stated my opinion and the logic I use, and clearly some don't agree.. That's fine.. Enjoy your car and I'll enjoy mine... Enjoy the forms.
If the 11 plus V6 was not made by Ford to travel above 113 MPH then one could not use a tuner to remove such thing. Ford would of just created the car to top out at 113 and that would be the cars top speed regardless of using a tuner. Clearly the car was produced to travel higher speeds than 113 because with a tuner one can achieve speeds of 140 plus with the v6. Ford produced the v6 to travel above 113 because if not the car could not do so with a tuner.

I don't feel Ford was wrong to place the speed limiter on with the stock low speed rated tires they use. The stock tires on my 11 v6 are Michelin all season tires not speed rated for traveling 130 plus. Just buy higher speed rated tires and your fine

Just because a video or two pops up on you tube showing a driveshaft exploding doesn't mean it was because Ford uses a less quality and inferior driveshaft compared to GT models. Actually I have no idea on how the less inferior driveshaft rumor was even started. Do you know how that driver treated his vehicle? Perhaps it was just a faulty driveshaft from the factory that normally doesn't happen.

I had a water pump on a vehicle of mine stop working after 40,000 miles. Does that mean Mazda uses less inferior and less quality water pumps? No, it means that one water pump just came faulty from the factory.

Actually, its quite genius to create such rumor to increase aftermarket driveshaft sales on 2011 plus v6 customers. Create concern because many mustang drivers want to be able to achieve higher speeds therefore they will buy the aftermarket driveshafts.

I never actually read about any statements made from Ford about them using a less quality driveshaft than there GT. Can you find it for me? I would love to read it .
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

It's because it is balanced for fuel economy on the V6. Get an aftermarket driveshaft if you want to go faster all the time in your 3.7.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmanus View Post

It's because it is balanced for fuel economy on the V6. Get an aftermarket driveshaft if you want to go faster all the time in your 3.7.
Yeah we all saw the video. Just because the driveshaft malfunctioned doesn't mean Ford uses a less quality driveshaft than other models. Who said it was because of the driveshaft being less quality?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here's a little something to compare our measly secretaries car to:

THE 1969 FORD MUSTANG MACH 1 COBRA JET
Specifications
Wheelbase, inches: 108.0
Weight, lbs: 3,600
Number built: 13,261
Base price: $3,500
Standard Engine
Type: ohv V-8
Displacement, cid: 428
Fuel system: 1 x 4bbl.
Compression ratio: 10.6:1
Horsepower @ rpm: 335 @ 5200
Torque @ rpm: 440 @ 3400
Representative Performance
0-60 mph, sec: 5.7
1/4 mile, sec. @ mph: 13.9 @ 103

These were fun cars. Look at that torque. Speed limited? No
Older cars like that didn't have rpm gauges did they? My 1970 doesn't.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah we all saw the video. Just because the driveshaft malfunctioned doesn't mean Ford uses a less quality driveshaft than other models. Who said it was because of the driveshaft being less quality?
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...w-2013-gt.html

You mean Ford had a faulty driveshaft. Or maybe the GT driveshafts are poor quality too.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmanus View Post

Not really for speed, just safety. The two pieces are doom from the get go
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

The Gt also uses a two piece driveshaft according to the parts and service department from Ford.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...w-2013-gt.html

You mean Ford had a faulty driveshaft. Or maybe the GT driveshafts are poor quality too.
Your a flip flopper of opinion and and constantly trolling and instigating argument for the sake of arguing, and herby 'Ignored'...
Enjoy your car and enjoy the forums.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Your a flip flopper of opinion and and constantly trolling and instigating argument for the sake of arguing, and herby 'Ignored'...
Enjoy your car and enjoy the forums.
Huh,what am I flip flopping about. Just having a friendly debate. No need to get so upset.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Older cars like that didn't have rpm gauges did they? My 1970 doesn't.
Yes the 428 Cobra Jet had a tach. As did most of the 60's Muscle Cars. Standard on some, options on others.
And a huge after market.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I agree, it's an awful design...
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Huh,what am I flip flopping about. Just having a friendly debate. No need to get so upset.
This happens when someone is losing a debate.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

This happens when someone is losing a debate.
I've 'lost' nothing. This happens when I'm tired of wasting energy/time.

Your statement is comparable to the 'loser fly-by'
With that, I'll leave you guys to your problems involving your cars...
Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I've 'lost' nothing. This happens when I'm tired of wasting energy/time.

Your statement is comparable to the 'loser fly-by'
With that, I'll leave you guys to your problems involving your cars...
We're all just talking car talk. No need to get your self all in a tizzy. Maybe your right, maybe the driveshaft is less quality than the other models. I was just wondering where this rumor started from. I mean there was what maybe two or three cases involving faulty driveshafts and all of a sudden that Ford was using less inferior two piece driveshafts. I thought maybe some statement was made by the Ford motor company confirming this and warning consumers about this driveshaft issue when traveling at speeds above he speed limiter.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

We're all just talking car talk. No need to get your self all in a tizzy. Maybe your right, maybe the driveshaft is less quality than the other models. I was just wondering where this rumor started from. I mean there was what maybe two or three cases involving faulty driveshafts and all of a sudden that Ford was using less inferior two piece driveshafts. I thought maybe some statement was made by the Ford motor company confirming this and warning consumers about this driveshaft issue when traveling at speeds above he speed limiter.
Some people take the internet too seriously...I wouldn't worry about them.

And Ford didn't decide to just make a low quality part. Especially not a drivenshaft. No, I don't think they build the v6 to handle the rare people who buy it for track performance, but they found a product that worked, and used it. Be it tires or driveshaft, there isn't much ofna need to go faster. Severalnpeople brought up quarter mile. I think they couldnhave gone to 125 ish, but they looked at quarter mile top speed and figured no one is going to peg on the stock tune.

I don't think insurance companies judge by top speed. I always hear cylinder count as the decider.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Some people take the internet too seriously...I wouldn't worry about them.

And Ford didn't decide to just make a low quality part. Especially not a drivenshaft. No, I don't think they build the v6 to handle the rare people who buy it for track performance, but they found a product that worked, and used it. Be it tires or driveshaft, there isn't much ofna need to go faster. Severalnpeople brought up quarter mile. I think they couldnhave gone to 125 ish, but they looked at quarter mile top speed and figured no one is going to peg on the stock tune.

I don't think insurance companies judge by top speed. I always hear cylinder count as the decider.
Tires, no doubt. I think my stock tires are rated S which is like 118. Before I tackle any higher speeds I would be buying myself some higher rated performance tires. Just wondering but if that dude whose driveshaft failed had a safety belt loop on his vehicle could that saved from damaging his vehicle when the driveshaft exploded? I would think this would be a great marketing ploy by performance companies to get v6 owners to purchase aftermarket driveshafts to increase sales and profits.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar