V6 Governed @ 113MPH??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #1

Region: Virginia
V6 Governed @ 113MPH???

Can anyone confirm this and/or let me know how to and if it is safe to disable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
There's about 100 threads on this. Try doing a search and posting on the right section.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #3

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeAd KrAcKer View Post
Can anyone confirm this and/or let me know how to and if it is safe to disable...
I'll sum it up for ya. Purchase a performance tuner. Preferably sct bama tuner from American Muscle . That will solve your problem to remove the speed governor. If you plan on traveling speeds in excess of 130 mph, purchase an aftermarket driveshaft . This will run around 689.00 dollars for the driveshaft. Under 130 mph, you will be fine.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

I'll sum it up for ya. Purchase a performance tuner. Preferably sct bama tuner from American Muscle . That will solve your problem to remove the speed governor.
And if you don't have a driveshaft go and mess your car up!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

How much does the tuner and alum DS run...ballpark???
Old 01-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much does the tuner and alum DS run...ballpark???
379.00 bama sct performance tuner . $689 for shaftmaster driveshaft . All from American Muscle which is where I recommend you go too.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Moved to 10-14 v6

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #9

Thanx Grabber...what does top speed move up to and does it void warranty???
Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Please do everyone a favor; keep the high speeds to the track, and not on the public roads. Assuming you get a tuner and driveshaft, be prepared for Ford to void your warranty with speeds like that.

Yes, they will be able to tell you tuned the car and removed the speed limiter, even if you flash it back to stock prior to any work, as todays ECM's in the car now store if a vehicle has been flashed. And they can track the top speeds too.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Please do everyone a favor; keep the high speeds to the track, and not on the public roads. Assuming you get a tuner and driveshaft, be prepared for Ford to void your warranty with speeds like that.

Yes, they will be able to tell you tuned the care and removed the speed limiter, even if you flash it back to stock prior to any work, as todays ECM's in the car now store if a vehicle has been flashed. And they can track the top speeds too.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #12

Don't worry... I only open it up at ATCO or Englishtown NJ, I used to run my 77 Cobra with a worked 351 there. Well since my warranty would be at stake and I only have 1700 mi on it... I wont be tuning anytime soon. Do they void for the DS change as well???
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Yes, they will be able to tell you tuned the car and removed the speed limiter, even if you flash it back to stock prior to any work, as todays ECM's in the car now store if a vehicle has been flashed. And they can track the top speeds too.
Who here said anything about speeding on the public roads?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Who here said anything about speeding on the public roads?
No one.. If you read the post he just asked that it not be done on public roads.

Carry on..
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #15

I have no intention of getting anywhere near 100 mph, let alone 113. But i am wondering if this speed limiter is some piece of hardware or in the software?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You don't void the warranty of your whole car by doing one thing. You just void what you modify and what it affects. A driveshaft has no impact on anything, besides being stronger and lower mass. It shouldn't void any warranties. Exhaust, by itself, shouldn't void any warranties.

Tuning affects the ECM and everything it controls: timing, fuel, transmission (autos), and can thus void those warranties if something goes wrong.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Old 01-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #17

Software for catastrophic mechanical protection.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Don't forget that most, not all come with tires not rated for high speeds.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If you send a private message to Dan from american muscle he will send u a discount you can use all the time. You have to have 50 posts on this forum though.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #20

Yeah, I found it kind of funny that with the MCA package, it added the 18" SE wheels with Z rated tires and is only allowed to trot instead of being able to gallop...SMH
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, I found it kind of funny that with the MCA package, it added the 18" SE wheels with Z rated tires and is only allowed to trot instead of being able to gallop...SMH
Get a sweet tuner and you will be galloping all the way
Old 01-21-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll sum it up for ya. Purchase a performance tuner. Preferably sct bama tuner from American Muscle . That will solve your problem to remove the speed governor. If you plan on traveling speeds in excess of 130 mph, purchase an aftermarket driveshaft . This will run around 689.00 dollars for the driveshaft. Under 130 mph, you will be fine.
I've read a lot on this issue but why limit my Mustang to 113 and my Fiesta to 118. Trust me the Mustang is a much better handling car at those speeds. And from the 3 instances of blown driveshafts I read on 2 were after market.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

I've read a lot on this issue but why limit my Mustang to 113 and my Fiesta to 118. Trust me the Mustang is a much better handling car at those speeds. And from the 3 instances of blown driveshafts I read on 2 were after market.
Really, aftermarket driveshafts blown up. I thought it was the stock one the v6 model
Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Really, aftermarket driveshafts blown up. I thought it was the stock one the v6 model
Well dang now all I can find is that one guy who was lucky enough to have his blow at exactly the same time he was stupid enough to drive 135 with a camcorder in one hand.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Well dang now all I can find is that one guy who was lucky enough to have his blow at exactly the same time he was stupid enough to drive 135 with a camcorder in one hand.
Exactly.. There is no evidence of a real issue issue. Two YouTube videos and a bunch of fear mongering on 1st time Mustang/sports car owners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1135246076.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	86639
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Top speed on cars is usually set by factoring safety rating's into the mix. I'm not sure of the equation used but its not as simple as "the mustang is a sports car, therefore it needs a higher top speed". You also have to think that a mustang will hit that limiter pretty quick and want to keep going, a fiesta on the other hand will be pushing hard to get to and maintain that speed.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Just let me point out that that is ridiculously unsafe, if you crash at that speed you are going to be killed. Two kid at my school crashed this year at 100 mph and they where both killed instantly and brutally. Now I'm not saying that it is guaranteed that you will die, but you will.

Secondly, all you v6 owners always say how the v8 is more dangerous than a v6, but when they can both go past 100mph without issues then that theory is totally pointless.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott View Post
Just let me point out that that is ridiculously unsafe, if you crash at that speed you are going to be killed. Two kid at my school crashed this year at 100 mph and they where both killed instantly and brutally. Now I'm not saying that it is guaranteed that you will die, but you will.

Secondly, all you v6 owners always say how the v8 is more dangerous than a v6, but when they can both go past 100mph without issues then that theory is totally pointless.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Top speed on cars is usually set by factoring safety rating's into the mix. I'm not sure of the equation used but its not as simple as "the mustang is a sports car, therefore it needs a higher top speed". You also have to think that a mustang will hit that limiter pretty quick and want to keep going, a fiesta on the other hand will be pushing hard to get to and maintain that speed.
They could still both be limited to the same speed. Remember the Mustang will hit that speed and be limited more quickly.
I'd prefer a second at 120 over taking 30 seconds to get from 80 to 120. Although I doubt the Fiesta will even hit its limiter
of 118. And my point is that the Fiesta is no where as safe at 110 as the Mustang is. Therefore my bet is it's for insurance reasons more than anything else. Let's not forget that insurance companies will also have access to your computer in the event of an accident.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

All of the videos & stories I've heard of the driveshaft breaking was on 2011 mustangs..idk if its a coincidence but had anyone seen it happen on a 2012-2013??
Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
You don't void the warranty of your whole car by doing one thing. You just void what you modify and what it affects. A driveshaft has no impact on anything, besides being stronger and lower mass. It shouldn't void any warranties. Exhaust, by itself, shouldn't void any warranties.

Tuning affects the ECM and everything it controls: timing, fuel, transmission (autos), and can thus void those warranties if something goes wrong.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekJohnScott

I have never heard of this before, v8 danger vs v6, but the v8 having 33%+ more power than the v6, usually bad things don't happen at a constant speed compared to accelerating, spinning tires on a start and losing control, too much throttle on a turn, so on. Plus, the v8 has worse understeer.

I am not saying it isa reason not to get a v8, but in reality, it would be more so dangerous to drive a v8 in a spirited manner than a v6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang
All of the videos & stories I've heard of the driveshaft breaking was on 2011 mustangs..idk if its a coincidence but had anyone seen it happen on a 2012-2013??
13s usually have the newer drive shaft.

In other threads its been discussed to earths end that ita because of power. The driveshaft can only take so much. It happened at 130+, and its happened at 60 ish, all full throttle. I'm no expert, but just rotational speed does not make sense to break the drove shaft. True, it is probably a factor, but the drive shaft spins the same speed at 6000 rpms in 1st, 6th, and all between. People have been to 150 on unrestricted roads and been fine.

The key to this, is invest in your abuse. You want to thrash it? Buy the warranty and no mods, or go drive shaft, suspension, power, tuner, or whatever. Just remember other drivers, please

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #32
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

+1

I have never heard of this before, v8 danger vs v6, but the v8 having 33%+ more power than the v6, usually bad things don't happen at a constant speed compared to accelerating, spinning tires on a start and losing control, too much throttle on a turn, so on. Plus, the v8 has worse understeer.

I am not saying it isa reason not to get a v8, but in reality, it would be more so dangerous to drive a v8 in a spirited manner than a v6.

13s usually have the newer drive shaft.

In other threads its been discussed to earths end that ita because of power. The driveshaft can only take so much. It happened at 130+, and its happened at 60 ish, all full throttle. I'm no expert, but just rotational speed does not make sense to break the drove shaft. True, it is probably a factor, but the drive shaft spins the same speed at 6000 rpms in 1st, 6th, and all between. People have been to 150 on unrestricted roads and been fine.

The key to this, is invest in your abuse. You want to thrash it? Buy the warranty and no mods, or go drive shaft, suspension, power, tuner, or whatever. Just remember other drivers, please
+5 trillion end of story there are so many threads dating back to 2011 about this haha
Old 01-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

+5 trillion end of story there are so many threads dating back to 2011 about this haha
But only two videos.. One one a Dyno and one one the road. And ZERO confirmation from anyone that matters.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

But only two videos.. One one a Dyno and one one the road. And ZERO confirmation from anyone that matters.
Right!? Im still a bit skeptical idk that's just me though!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

When it comes down to it, the drive shaft snapping has NOTHING to do with speed. It's all about toque and rotational mass. ultimately, the shaft's that snap at 130ish are because of the huge amount of constant torque that it takes to spin the wheels that fast. You take that and factor in wind, elevation, tire width, wheel size, weight of the car, the weight that has been added (you+gas) and so on...take this into consideration and you can quickly see why people snap at a wide range of MPH. Something as simple as a 15mph head wind increases the force it takes to maintain speed exponentially. When it comes down to it, even the aluminum drive shaft could snap on a hard enough launch in a car with enough power. it's all about torque

Moving on to the 113MPH limiter issue......

If you really want an opinion.... All you guys removing your limiters on a street ran V6 need a reality check, and i'll tell you why... where is there a speed limit over 100mph in the US? none. when was the last time you NEEDED to go 100mph? never. And when was the last time your mustang ran a 11.xx at over 110mph? you didnt, and you would snap the shaft on the launch, not the end of the track at that point..... should I keep going?.. how about haveing your car seized for reckless driving and your license suspended. Or, if you really want a dose of reality, take a second to think about this.... how you would explain to you best friends parents why there son or daughter wont be coming home because you wanted to be a hot shot...

still worth it?

Im no saint, I speed sometimes and I love to get on it off the line like the rest of you. But there comes a point where you have to take a step back... and thats why Im going to share a short story with you.

I wrapped my first car around a tree and almost killed myself and best friend. It was a reality check for sure, a foot more and we would have both been dead. Sadly, later that year that same friends little brother was also involved in an accident. Kody A. Soeder passed on Saturday, Feb. 9th at 16 years of age when he was involved in a traffic accident. Kody had been driving home from a friends house, going less than 45mph when he was side swiped and run off the road by a speeding sports car that could not maintain it's lain due to high speed. His truck ran into a ditch after being swiped, Kody suffered serious head trama from the whiplash into his window from the side swipe, by the time EMS arrived less than 10 min later he had passed. The driver of the sports car, a 24 year old college student, just like you and I, will spend the next 10 years in jail and many more on probation because he wanted to go fast. Needless to say, I would never look at speeding or street racing the same after that. Before that day I looked at speeding and red light races as victimless fun, I couldn't have been more wrong.

This is just one reason I get so heated when the top speed topic comes up, it's not worth your life to go fast, and it's even less worth the life of someone else. You can all say you don't go those speeds on the road but most of you are full of it.... I guess what this all comes down to is, Yes the 3.7 mustang has a speed limited to 113mph but as long as you drive that car on the street you should leave that limit there and never hit it.

Sorry for the rant, I hope a point has been made here and maybe, just maybe, some of you will see the logic here and leave your limiters alone as long as your on the street and drive with a little more care.

Thanks.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar