Lasik eye surgery - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Lasik eye surgery

Anyone have it done? I go the 21st and I'm honestly kinda nervous, I've worn glasses since I was 2, (now 20) and I think it will be great to be done with glasses. I just would like to hear some success stories if we have any on the forum thanks guys and gals .
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Nate98stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I will need it some day but as far as my docs have said laser corrective surgery is only recommended if your prescription hasn't changed in 2 years and your eyes are done growing (25 is the estimate they gave me)
Old 03-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
I will need it some day but as far as my docs have said laser corrective surgery is only recommended if your prescription hasn't changed in 2 years and your eyes are done growing (25 is the estimate they gave me)
Well I went in for a consultation and they told me I was a perfect candidate but idk
2002 5 speed Comp Orange Mustang GT. K&N CAI,JBA headers,BBK xpipe,SLP mufflers to turn downs,Exedy stage 2 clutch,MGW short throw,drilled and and slotted roters,front:17x9 black 10th anniversary cobras Rear:17x10.5 black 10th anniversary cobras,Roush stage 3 body kit,smoked tails and side markers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate98stang

Well I went in for a consultation and they told me I was a perfect candidate but idk
Get a second opinion. I know in the states you get places that do surgeries like this just to collect the tab. I would get a professional doc who has his own store to check you out and see what he says. Your vision is too important.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:36 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post

Get a second opinion. I know in the states you get places that do surgeries like this just to collect the tab. I would get a professional doc who has his own store to check you out and see what he says. Your vision is too important.
I may be going to another place for a second consultation
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #6

Region: Illinois
Had it done in 1999, my wife had it done the following year. We couldn't be happier that we made this decision. Nowadays the surgery is better with quicker healing. One thing I would suggest is, say yes to the Valium if they offer before surgery.
Tight Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
My parents had it, they love being done with glasses... I have glasses but can get by fine without so I never do. Eventually I'll get LASIK also

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
Had it done in 1999, my wife had it done the following year. We couldn't be happier that we made this decision. Nowadays the surgery is better with quicker healing. One thing I would suggest is, say yes to the Valium if they offer before surgery.
All they do is eye drops to numb your eyes is what I've been told
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
In the interest of being fully informed, you should google Kathy Griffin's experience with LASIK.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
In the interest of being fully informed, you should google Kathy Griffin's experience with LASIK.
And why is that?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate98stang View Post

And why is that?
For a percentage of people, this surgery can be a total nightmare. She has documented her experience. After five surgeries she only has 30% vision in her right eye.

It may raise some questions you should ask your surgeon before proceeding. It is always best to be fully informed before entering into something like this.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

For a percentage of people, this surgery can be a total nightmare. She has documented her experience. After five surgeries she only has 30% vision in her right eye.

It may raise some questions you should ask your surgeon before proceeding. It is always best to be fully informed before entering into something like this.
Wow ...I guess I'll ask more at my consultation
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Had mine right before thanksgiving. Just about back to 20/20. Love not having glasses anymore! Before dumping on the procedure, you have to realize as with any kind of surgery especially any kind of "optional/non essential" surgery there are always risks and no guarantees. With this, you have to follow your prep and after care to the letter.
etc1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc1006 View Post
Had mine right before thanksgiving. Just about back to 20/20. Love not having glasses anymore! Before dumping on the procedure, you have to realize as with any kind of surgery especially any kind of "optional/non essential" surgery there are always risks and no guarantees. With this, you have to follow your prep and after care to the letter.
Well I am hearing all this stuff about people saying I should wait till I'm 25 because of my eyes changing but, they told me at the office I'm a good candidate so Is there truth behind waiting?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There is no single answer as to age. Everyone is different and it depends on how bad your eyes are, how long they have been that way and how stable your prescription has been.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is no single answer as to age. Everyone is different and it depends on how bad your eyes are, how long they have been that way and how stable your prescription has been.
Well my eyes are very bad off as I said I've worn them since I was 2, I can't do anything without them I got new glasses a year or maybe 2 ago and my prescription had changed slightly but nothing major
Old 03-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Only your doctor really can tell you what is right for your eyes. Personally, I would see more than one before making up my mind who to use. This is something that you should not do on a whim and should not go with the "cheapest guy".

Based on people I know personally who have had it done (a very unscientific poll with an extremely small dataset) I would say 98% of the time it goes great. 1% if the time there are minor complications. 1% of the time it is a total disaster.

Do you trust your surgeon? That is all that really matters.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Only your doctor really can tell you what is right for your eyes. Personally, I would see more than one before making up my mind who to use. This is something that you should not do on a whim and should not go with the "cheapest guy".

Based on people I know personally who have had it done (a very unscientific poll with an extremely small dataset) I would say 98% of the time it goes great. 1% if the time there are minor complications. 1% of the time it is a total disaster.

Do you trust your surgeon? That is all that really matters.
Well thanks for the info , the one I'm going to get a evaluation from tomorrow is a much more well known place than the first I went to
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

So far I'm happy with the results
Old 03-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I actually considered Lasik at one point, and spoke with my doctor about it several years ago. He told me that I COULD get it done, but the results wouldn't last because I'm in front of a computer most of the time, especially at my job.

I suppose video games doesn't help, either, but anyway...

Eventually, my eyes would go back to being bad again. The doctor recommended that I just stick with contacts. That consultation was so long ago, though, so I don't remember any other details. Who knows? Maybe I'll go talk to him again

....Wow, I haven't posted on ME for so long....

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Dcobra31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Guess I am one of the lucky ones, NOT! They did it with the laser and screwed up my right eye. I now have 20-30 in my right and 20-20 in my left. I couldn't look into any bright lights for 3 months. All I would see was the main colors in the color spectrum. Red, Yellow, Green and Blue. I had to have sunglasses made so I could renew my driver's license.

If your getting it done to not wear glasses, DON'T! It's not worth it to have your eyes permanently ruined.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Guess I am one of the lucky ones, NOT! They did it with the laser and screwed up my right eye. I now have 20-30 in my right and 20-20 in my left. I couldn't look into any bright lights for 3 months. All I would see was the main colors in the color spectrum. Red, Yellow, Green and Blue. I had to have sunglasses made so I could renew my driver's license.

If your getting it done to not wear glasses, DON'T! It's not worth it to have your eyes permanently ruined.
Well so far I'm happy with it and I got it done this past Thursday
Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcobra31 View Post
I actually considered Lasik at one point, and spoke with my doctor about it several years ago. He told me that I COULD get it done, but the results wouldn't last because I'm in front of a computer most of the time, especially at my job.

I suppose video games doesn't help, either, but anyway...

Eventually, my eyes would go back to being bad again. The doctor recommended that I just stick with contacts. That consultation was so long ago, though, so I don't remember any other details. Who knows? Maybe I'll go talk to him again

....Wow, I haven't posted on ME for so long....
Was that before the laser?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Was that before the laser?
I think it was after the laser. I THINK, but I can't quite remember. In any case, it's really not a big deal to me anymore. I'm glad you got the results you desired, though If you don't mind me asking, how bad were your eyes before the surgery? My left eye is actually slightly better than my right. I'm so thankful for my contacts lol

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I think it was after the laser. I THINK, but I can't quite remember. In any case, it's really not a big deal to me anymore. I'm glad you got the results you desired, though If you don't mind me asking, how bad were your eyes before the surgery? My left eye is actually slightly better than my right. I'm so thankful for my contacts lol
Well I'm not sure what my actually site was, but with out my glasses I couldn't see someone's face 7-10 foot away
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I'm not sure what my actually site was, but with out my glasses I couldn't see someone's face 7-10 foot away
7-10 feet away, I can't quite see someone's face, BUT I can at least tell that a face exists lol!

My 2012 GT Premium.
Six Speed Manual
Forgestar CF10s
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

7-10 feet away, I can't quite see someone's face, BUT I can at least tell that a face exists lol!
Lol I guess I could maybe idk I couldn't function with out my glasses, and if I took them off and looked around I often just say blurred colors
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Havnt been on here in forever but after a little over 2 months after surgery I'm happy with it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar