A "little" accident - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Angry A "little" accident

So I had my first bonehead, major dumb a$$, mustang experience/accident...

I had seen on a forum some people talking about turning off the two levels of Traction control (One is called Advance Trac or something like that), but having your foot on the brake and then pressing and holding the stability control (or whatever its called) button for 5 seconds or more, which turns off both systems instead of just one when you just normally press the button.

I had tried just the single press before and didn't notice much, so I thought I would see what it was like to turn both off... BAD BAD CHOICE!

I made a left hand turn with *some* (not much) speed and I noticed a little bit of rear-end "sliding", but very little.
So when I got to the light to turn left I thought I would give it some speed, figuring I would fish tail a bit and that would be that.... OH HOW I WAS WRONG!

Everything started like I expected but the fish tail went WAY further right (front going left and forward) and then trying to keep control I overcorrected which lead to another overcorrection, and finally into a spin over the curb and into some brush and rocks, ending with a 180 degree turn so my front end was facing the road.

The engine "cut out", like to the point where the key is in and partially turned so the radio works and all the dashboard lights are light up.
Once I put the car into park I was able to restart the engine and was able to pull back over the curb onto the road (just as some car pulled over to "help") I didn't want a ticket and no one was injured and besides a smallish bush being half run over there was no property damage, so I just drove off.
Luckily I was only a couple of miles from my house.
I slowly drove home, but the drive definitely didnt feel right.
The way it acted and the sound made me think I had a flat tire.

So I got home and started my up close and personal physical of my car.
The only VISIBLE damage was a chunk was missing from the outer detail of the wheel (like the edge of the area that would be covered by a cheap cars hubcap)
Besides that all I was able to find was some very minor scratches from the bush, but they look very superficial (will find out more once I get it washed)

My continued exam under the car revealed some foliage stuck in some spots, one of which looked like it was around/in the area/way of where the wheel makes its rotations, so I am REALLY hoping that is what was causing the odd feeling while driving home. I removed any other debris from under the vehicle that I could find, and nothing underneath the car looked "disturbed" (from my non-machanical eye)

I then went inside and took a Xanax and then went back out and turned the car on.
Everything sounded fine. No strange noises or anything.
I ran a SYNC Vehicle Health Report and I am not awaiting it to show up on the SYNC site.
Hopefully that won't show any problems.

If it doesn't show anything, then I will take it for a small drive around the block to see if it feels correctly with the bush branches removed from everything.

I am REALLY hoping that everything will be fine.
(and that would give me the extra bonus of not having to tell the wife, and her and the kids are out of town)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have everything be fine.

I am lucky it wasn't anything worse then it was, and I have learned my lesson.

More info as I have it...

Please cross your fingers.

(think I might need to take another Xanax...)
kdbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
glad you're ok

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Vehicle health report shows no problems.

Time to take the test drive around the block....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Sucks man! I had that happen to me one night. I was hot dogging it around a turn right by my house that I drift around sometimes late at night when the roads are empty and I'm still not sure what happened (probably too much speed.) As I was drifting around the bend the, rear end never came back to going straight after I came out of the turn. I was heading straight for a line of mail boxes and a telephone pole so I slammed down the clutch and brake and whipped the wheel to the left and did a 180 degree skidding turn and came to a stop facing almost the complete opposite direction I had been going. The engine had cut out so I sat there for probably 20 seconds trying to get it to fire back up and then finally took off in the direction I was now facing on the road and went back home the other way haha.

I felt like a total idiot but needless to say, I haven't tried to drift that turn again since!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Houston we have a problem!

I didnt even get out of the driveway without knowing there was a problem.

Felt and sounded like a grinding, like something was rubbing against something.

CRAP!!!!

Guess I get a tow to the dealership in the morning and hope it isn't too bad and doesn't cost too much...

Guess I will have to tell the wife.
Guess I have to take her car to work tomorrow
Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Is traction control not "GREAT" ?????????????????

I used to do a lot of road coarse and auto X-ing. I found out it was always a good thing to just leave the traction control turned on. I always did much better when it was on then when it was turned off and very rarely ever had a spin out. Turn it off and it was easy to slide or spin. I'm pretty sure a professional driver that does speed for a living can do good without the traction control. It is much safer and better for us amateurs to just leave it turned on and let the computer try to protect us if we get to far out of control.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I used to do a lot of road coarse and auto X-ing. I found out it was always a good thing to just leave the traction control turned on. I always did much better when it was on then when it was turned off and very rarely ever had a spin out. Turn it off and it was easy to slide or spin. I'm pretty sure a professional driver that does speed for a living can do good without the traction control. It is much safer and better for us amateurs to just leave it turned on and let the computer try to protect us if we get to far out of control.

Ronnie
That is for SURE what I will be doing in the future.

This is my first Mustang (2013 so brand freaking new as well) and first "sports car", so I wanted to get some fish tailing and tire screetching, but look what I got for that...

I have a tow truck on the way to take it in to see how much my stupidity is going to cost me...

I know one of the rims had a chunk taken out of the front "grille" and it seems it punctured one of the tires (tired it this morning and was told 'Low Tire Pressure'.
Checked them all and the others were fine, but that one hardly registered (yet it doesn't look flat, just looks a little saggy)

(Wife has been freaking out about our budget before this. Waiting until she gets home on Sunday to give her the "good news")

Sigh. Hope she doesn't kill me like Jodi Arias...

Cross your fingers it is something small, AND CHEAP.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Please tell me this is a gt at least...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Please tell me this is a gt at least...
Nope. 2013 V6 (all I could afford at the, so please no "Should have got a GT" comments
Old 03-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sorry to hear that and glad your ok, I have moments where i kinda wanna do things out of my normal routine and test to see what she can do. Then I realize how much I pay a month for her and think otherwise. Stunts like that should be for wide open areas like empty parking lots.

Just get it checked out and she will be back better than ever... "Good luck"
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I really feel bad for you.

The car getting fixed will cost enough but go through in a divorce and the cost can go way up to sky high. I hope that don't happen.

Voice of experience.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
The car getting fixed will cost enough but go through in a divorce and the cost can go way up to sky high. I hope that don't happen.

Voice of experience.
She says she isn't "really" made.
Knows I am more upset then she could be.
(My car is my 3rd child)
Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Just got a call from the auto shop...

Looks like the rear-end is bent and will have to be replaced...

Looking at like $3-4k!
Which means I will have to go thru insurance, still have to pay $500 (deductible) and most likely have my premiums go up.

4 months and already having to do major surgery on her, do to my stupidity
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

3k man how bad is it? Did you take pics first ? Always take pics!!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
You can buy a aftermarket learned from American muscle or late model or little over a grand with 373 in it buy a tuner for 400 to redo Speedo n save money
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
3k man how bad is it? Did you take pics first ? Always take pics!!
There was no visible damage from what my non-experienced eye could see (but I honestly don't really know what the underside should look like)

There is no damage to the outside visible area except some scratches which they will try and buff out but if not would need to be painted.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
3m scratch remover kit from advance works great has to be used with drill and 3000 grit wet sanding worked amazing
rghoover3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghoover3 View Post
3m scratch remover kit from advance works great has to be used with drill and 3000 grit wet sanding worked amazing
The price was just a guesstimate from initial look.
They are putting together an actual estimate for me.
Should be ready either later today or tomorrow morningish

I am FREAKING OUT (my wife is the one that is trying to get me to not be mad at myself and to calm down, and saying it will be ok $$ wise)

My Mustang is my third child!
I always park out in BFE in parking lots to avoid dings, etc, then I do something like this....

Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbdallas View Post

The price was just a guesstimate from initial look.
They are putting together an actual estimate for me.
Should be ready either later today or tomorrow morningish

I am FREAKING OUT (my wife is the one that is trying to get me to not be mad at myself and to calm down, and saying it will be ok $$ wise)

My Mustang is my third child!
I always park out in BFE in parking lots to avoid dings, etc, then I do something like this....

Don't freak man, but you gotta watch for those body shops also they always trying to over on folks
Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Don't freak man, but you gotta watch for those body shops also they always trying to over on folks
Yea, but at the same time I am pretty sure no matter where I go I will have to end up going thru insurance and at that point my deductible is the same, so it doesnt matter much. I guess the more it costs could go to the increase in my premium, but I also dont have time/money to get it towed somewhere else for an estimate.

Dealer recommended this place, so I would hope that would mean their good...
They say they are all Ford certified and only use Ford OEM parts. (which I am sure costs more, but I would think it would be worth it since the car is only 4 months old)

$500 bucks I could have used for mods.
If the rear under-side comes out as all needing to be replaced, then I wish I had the money to replace my exhaust and that was a mod I wanted to make
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ahhhh then your first one also, man I'm seriously hurting for you man. I remember when I lost mines for awhile do to an accident, did not know what to do with myself. Like I said you got your health. You may lose your sanity but it will recover...
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahhhh then your first one also, man I'm seriously hurting for you man. I remember when I lost mines for awhile do to an accident, did not know what to do with myself. Like I said you got your health. You may lose your sanity but it will recover...
Yea Xanax is my life saver yesterday and today...
Old 03-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sorry to hear that man. I would be freaking out just lol you. I also got my first mustang 5 months ago and did a 180 on a turn in rainy whether leaving school. Thank for the road was wide enough that I didn't hit anything or anyone. Good luck!!
Kustumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Found out that there was NO frame damage!

Now it's just getting it fixed.
For the rear (the bars are supposed to be straight but they went up and down and so) it has to go to the dealership.

Estimate time is 2 weeks.

CAN'T WAIT!

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby
Old 04-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #25
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Not trying to be a dick but........damn. You kids get some experience before you go ripping on "your first mustang".
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Not trying to be a dick but........damn. You kids get some experience before you go ripping on "your first mustang".
No offense taken.
It was a complete and udder stupidity move on my end.
I am 100% willing to admit it.

I want to take some driving classes so this doesn't happen again (and not like drivers ed)

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

Quote:
No offense taken.
It was a complete and udder stupidity move on my end.
I am 100% willing to admit it.

I want to take some driving classes so this doesn't happen again (and not like drivers ed)
I'm not really a "kid" anymore, even if I might have been acting like one at the time
Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Dude let me know on those driving lessons. I want to learn how to drive "hard" also.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #28
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Find a empty parking lot and feel her out before you stomp on her full throttle. You can lose control really fast and wind up in a bad spot,as you already know. Everything in life is a lesson,at least for me.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Find a empty parking lot and feel her out before you stomp on her full throttle. You can lose control really fast and wind up in a bad spot,as you already know. Everything in life is a lesson,at least for me.
I concur
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Driving lessons ?.. How about Drive a manual amd do a lean how to do a burnout ...
Cornkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Don't have to be offensive like that. Some people just enjoy the comfort of driving an auto.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornkush View Post
Driving lessons ?.. How about Drive a manual amd do a lean how to do a burnout ...
Yes sir!!
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Talking My Baby Is Back!!

MY BABY IS BACK!!!

I got my Mustang back and it looks and drives amazing!

With the new wheels and tires and the major buff, wax, and polishing made it look brand spanking new!

I was worried it wouldnt drive the same, but as of now, it drives perfectly.

Oh how I missed my baby!

Only problem is now I am scared in taking turns as fast (which I guess in a way is a good thing)
Old 04-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
MY BABY IS BACK!!!

I got my Mustang back and it looks and drives amazing!

With the new wheels and tires and the major buff, wax, and polishing made it look brand spanking new!

I was worried it wouldnt drive the same, but as of now, it drives perfectly.

Oh how I missed my baby!

Only problem is now I am scared in taking turns as fast (which I guess in a way is a good thing)
Treat her well! Glad you got it back. Pix?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustumb View Post

Treat her well! Glad you got it back. Pix?
This is her pre-accident and mods (the couple I have) I decided I don't like one of the mods I did so I will take a better picture after I finish removing it today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1161935988.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	102230

"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy the hell out of all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar