Got a ticket need advice - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #36
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejekt View Post
I just got out of a speeding ticket for $300 including court costs. My lawyer got it reduced to "improper equipment" non moving violation and I didn't even have to take the day off work. I had another one 6 months earlier too that was taken care of.
And what did the lawyer charge you for this service? I'll guess it saved you the ticket and insurance costs, so maybe you saved in the long run. Traffic violations lawyers don't come cheap either.

Ask questions to the lawyer as to what he/she plans to do for you to get out of the ticket. In Florida, you (or your lawyer) can ask the traffic court judge for a "prayer for judgement". Basically this means that if this is your first offense, they (the traffic judge) can reduce the charges, and/or drop the points. You may still pay a fine (usually reduced), but not have any points issued to you. Keeps the insurance from increasing. Very easy for a lawyer to do this for you, if it's your first offense.

Here's where it gets tough though: if you get another ticket within two years of the first one you pleaded prayer for judgement, the state brings back the first ticket plus the new one in the way of points! Now your slammed! So with the comments of some of you, this would most likely not work, as you'd have a tough time driving your Mustang to the rules of the road.

But good luck to the OP. Hope it works out for you. If it makes you fell any better, my nephew had 16 points in two years. He lost his driving priveledges, got a special permit to drive back and forth to work only, and just recently got his full driving priveledges back. is insurrance though is still obsurdly high.
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
If your insurrance goes up by even just $100 a month (in my case it was more) it will usually stay that way for years (here its 5) so...

That ticket I got will end up costing me about $7,000 over 5 years.

2015 Mustang GT Premium. No mods yet.
Jgill1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
And what did the lawyer charge you for this service? I'll guess it saved you the ticket and insurance costs, so maybe you saved in the long run. Traffic violations lawyers don't come cheap either.
The lawyer charged me $300. The court costs were $190 or so and the ticket was like $25, and the $300 covered both of those and he kept the rest.

I suggest not doing a PFJ. That would be my last resort.

Get a lawyer, they will tell you how much it will be, pay it, and let them worry about it. It will save you money on insurance and time off work + aggravation of going to court, etc etc..
Rejekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by satin06silver View Post
talk to the officer an see if you can cut a deal be tactful and dont argue with him/her i had one case in highschool and before we entered the courtroom i approached him gave him my "sob story" on why i needed a license and he worked a deal with the judge i didnt get off scott free but i kept my license and insurance
Thats good to hear ill give that a try
Bballing0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Dude, worst case scenario, if you don't want to get a lawyer, then plead it down to under 10 mph over and you will be fine. Talk to the DA and ask if he'll reduce it to 9 over and it won't affect your insurance. Well, at least in NC that is true.
Rejekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:51 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Okayy now i have to look of for planes clocking me... This is BS..
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPressure View Post
You're really lucky they didn't get you at 85; 20 over is a felony in some states.
yeah my last ticket was 31 over...luckily the officer was cool about it and just gave me a court appearance ticket. he could have arrested me and towed the car if he was in that mood. I ended up paying $50 court cost and $50 for driving school to clear the record. my accelerator hates how diligant i am now

carving corners like a boss
1slosix is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar