The name "MUSTANG" mystery is over !!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
The name "MUSTANG" mystery is over !!!

I finally got around to watch the original "Gone in 60 seconds that was made in 1974. It starred a 1971 Mustang fastback re-did to look like a 1973 Mach 1 Mustang that was yellow and stone stock with a Nascar roll cage & a few other safety modafications done for safety installed. They crashed 93 cars in just the 40 minute car chase. The star was a 1973 (1971) Mustang Mach 1 and they only used the one car named Eleanor for the whole movie crash scene's. Yep, only one. They just patched her up as needed and kept on shooting the scenes. They did have a couple of look alikes for non crash scenes and a camera car.

On the Bonus features there is an interview with Lee Iacocca with him telling how the Mustang was first thought of and that the car was named after the Western Wild horse "MUSTANG" Not the Texas football team or the airplane (P-51) It was really named after the Horse.
This is a really good interview from Mr. Iacocca and worth buying or renting the movie for.

Google the name H.B.Halicki ( Nickname "TOBY" ) for information on the guy that made this movie. He did this on a budget and had all of his friends as actors and looks like he did the whole thing with only two camara crews. He did the chase in five city's and sure wrecked a lot of cars. This was much better for my personal viewing then the newer Gone in 60 Seconds with Nick Cage and the super fancy Eleanor.

All of the interviews on the bonus features are really good.

Lee Iacocca
Parnelli Jones
J.C. Agajanian Jr.
Bobby Ore

Now, The next time someone tells you the Mustang was named after an airplane or Football team or anything else you just need to bet them a $100 or so and get this DVD and show the the interview with the Father of the Mustang and take their $$$$$.

Google ( Toby Halicki ) for a lot of information on this Movie and there are a bunch of stuff on You-Tube too.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
A lot of people don't know the true origin of the mustang. That's how you know true stang lovers from others
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm trying to get this link to work.

It is working now,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleanor_(automobile)

This is a pretty good story on the movie and Eleanor.

Ronnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Interesting information on the gone in 60 #2

Read> Mustang Specs - Movie Mustangs - Gone in 60 Seconds (2000)

I did not think the remake with Nick Cage was as exciting as the original but it was still fairly good. After seeing the original it will be hard to find a better chase movie. Well, Bullet was good too.

Ronnie
Old 05-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Even tho my mom had a couple new 69z/28s , and my ol'man had a 70 chevelle at the time, I've been a Mustang fan every since seeing that movie when I was a kid.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar