I want the 11-14 mustang gt so bad. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I want the 11-14 mustang gt so bad.

So I'm a 18 year old in college. Just got a job at fedex that pays very good. I really want the new stang. I think I could get a good amount for my 97 GT for a down payment. Can't decide If it's worth it. I have no bills or college tuition. Thank goodness. Should I just keep fixing mine up or just go for it? If I don't do it I was planning on reprinting it black for a fresh paint job. But the money I'd be spending on this I could've had a new mustang. Idk what do you guys think?
Here's a pic of my mustang now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3498392479.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	610.3 KB
ID:	109835   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-936811025.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	109836  

Jstovall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If you can afford the payment.... I say do it! Lol
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Go for it if you can afford insurance
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
You don't want a $500 payment lingering around at 18 man. Hold your horses!
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Go for it if you can afford insurance
Thank goodness my parents got me on that. So I'm cleared there haha
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Until they kick you off and then your on own and can't afford any of it lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
You don't want a $500 payment lingering around at 18 man. Hold your horses!
Yeah you're right. But I don't have any other bills. I'd have an extra 600 or 700 hundred bucks a month if my payment is 500 a month

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Until they kick you off and then your on own and can't afford any of it lol
Nahh they won't. They said as long as I go to school. They got it.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
is anyone cosigning for you? If not and you don't have perfect credit regardless of the situation expect to get bent over badly at 18 on interest rate. I've seen friends of mine go for car loans even with go credit scores and get offered double digits on their interest rate. I had my dad cosign mine, just to get mine really low. Second look at insurance first. It has been posted before, people paying near 300+ a month for insurance.

there is a lot more to getting a brand new car than people think. Unlike someone else who just posted a thread, look at this stuff before hand and make sure you can afford it.

Also if your going to take a loan out, make sure you can make the payments for that amount of time. If you have anything you plan to do in your life, say move somewhere else and go to school for something different, (like I wanted to go to a particular auto school but can't because of my car payments) it can really hold you back.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
is anyone cosigning for you? If not and you don't have perfect credit regardless of the situation expect to get bent over badly at 18 on interest rate. I've seen friends of mine go for car loans even with go credit scores and get offered double digits on their interest rate. I had my dad cosign mine, just to get mine really low. Second look at insurance first. It has been posted before, people paying near 300+ a month for insurance.

there is a lot more to getting a brand new car than people think. Unlike someone else who just posted a thread, look at this stuff before hand and make sure you can afford it.

Also if your going to take a loan out, make sure you can make the payments for that amount of time. If you have anything you plan to do in your life, say move somewhere else and go to school for something different, (like I wanted to go to a particular auto school but can't because of my car payments) it can really hold you back.
My mom said she'd consign for me. I think I'd be cool financially. I guess I am a little spoiled but yeahhh haha

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post

You're completely right about all of that though.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Coming from someone who had a nice new car payment during college.. It's not a good idea. I had a 08 gt500 through college and was paying $489 a month while going to school full time. I absolutely loved the car but there were so many times when calculus and engineering classes I was taking were overwhelming me and I wished I could afford to work less. Ideally you want zero debt during your college career and at 18 a 30k loan is not going to help you with school. Once you finish school you'll be able to afford the car easily(hopefully) with a good job. Not to mention you will not require a consigner, which could tie the cosigners credit down while you have that loan out. If I could go back, I would have not bought the car and spent the $489 taking trips to the beach to check out the girls during breaks from school. If I was you I'd use that good job to save up some change, sell your current car, and buy a 03-04 cobra cash. Don't willingly walk into debt at your age. Like I said, I did it when I was in school, but I wish I hadn't. The gt500 ended up getting totaled out anyways because a lady ran a red light .
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstovall View Post
My mom said she'd consign for me. I think I'd be cool financially. I guess I am a little spoiled but yeahhh haha

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 PM ----------

You're completely right about all of that though.
I should point out I am 24 and got my car at 22, so my friends are of the same age ranges when I said about double digits, hence 18 being bad. Also keep in mind if you only go to school the four years and have to then pay still for the car and the insurance yourself at 22, you could still get destroyed. Most insurance companies will bend you over hard until you are 25, regardless of how good your record is and owning a fast mustang, most people it isn't good with mass tickets.

so, really, just think about the future on this purchase, long as you feel confident on that, go for it.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Coming from someone who had a nice new truck during school with a big truck payme
me? if that is aimed at me, I paid cash for that truck. I never even took a loan out on it...
Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Pass on it until you've had the job a year or so. Just my .02
then after that look around because these don't hold value or together very well. I have a 83 Mercedes 240d that rattles less then this thing. Hell the doors are still aligned perfect with 251k on the ticker and my 2011 already has tranny problems, oil problems, warranty problems but I'm SURE Ford will say I voided that anyway.
2011 5.0 Steeda sway bars, panhard, shocks, struts, springs, camber adj, Bump steer kit, Steeda Spyder wheels, Toyo Proxes, AirRaid, SCT, Roush mufflers, JBA X-Pipe and cat del, Boss 302 intake, Baer 6p front and rear with drilled/slotted rotors.
ducatibrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I say the smart thing to do is wait bro.. You're already driving a cool car! I was driving a 2000 Taurus up until last month.. and I'm 22.. That was about 3-4 years of waiting to get a car a wanted and still be able to live comfortably! Just building credit and working my job as much as I could, so that in the end I wouldn't get screwed with the interest rate on a loan.. and I don't think my insurance is that bad either for my age and car(180 a month)..

But hey, if you really can afford the high payments and insurance, and still live comfortably. Go for it.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Dont buy anything if you just got the job....you need to make sure you can keep it first and get all your ducks in a row. Look at insurance and how much that will cost. If you ARE going to go to school then are you going to be able to work at fedex. Things to think about. Dont take the leap just yet just because you just got a good paying job. Disaster waiting to happen IMO
Old 05-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
me? if that is aimed at me, I paid cash for that truck. I never even took a loan out on it...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was looking at trucks lol. I was going to add my experience and my damn phone sent the response too early. I meant to say, "coming from someone who had a new car payment" and said truck on accident.

I've got f250 fever lol
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Save your money for a couple of years. You haven't even passed your probation at work yet. So your mommy will cosign for you. If you lose your job, then your mommy is responsible for your car payments?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I would have killed for any kind of GT at 18, if you're still living at home I would prioritize other things.

Now that I have typed that I could see myself living in my 5.0 and it would be totally worth it lol. So much for reasonable advice
Old 05-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstovall
So I'm a 18 year old in college. Just got a job at fedex that pays very good. I really want the new stang. I think I could get a good amount for my 97 GT for a down payment. Can't decide If it's worth it. I have no bills or college tuition. Thank goodness. Should I just keep fixing mine up or just go for it? If I don't do it I was planning on reprinting it black for a fresh paint job. But the money I'd be spending on this I could've had a new mustang. Idk what do you guys think?
Here's a pic of my mustang now
Just wait 3 months or so to make sure you like the job and they keep you. Then I'd say go for it. It's definitely worth it. Or maybe wait a yr and put a good down payment as well. That's what saved me. I saved 2500 and traded my 04 in which they didn't give me what I owed. However, it was very close. I pay under 390/mo. that's with a 2011 gt/cs.
iLLRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
You may not have bills yet but that car payment will be around for a long time! Im 21 now and i took out an 11k car loan at 18 with the exact same thoughts, it was fine for a while til i moved out and had to do everything on my own and then it really screwed me over. The bills to come will catch up to your pay my friend, plus the 97 looks really nice!
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo91 View Post
You may not have bills yet but that car payment will be around for a long time! Im 21 now and i took out an 11k car loan at 18 with the exact same thoughts, it was fine for a while til i moved out and had to do everything on my own and then it really screwed me over. The bills to come will catch up to your pay my friend, plus the 97 looks really nice!
+1..... Bills will stack up quick, that's why I'm glad that my 2006 GT is paid off.....
BorlaGt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar