Refinishing a Garage Floor? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Refinishing a Garage Floor?

So, I have an old house built in 1958, you can imagine the concrete garage floor shows it's age. My shiny new Mustang just doesn't look right sitting in here, so I want to refinish the garage floor. Been wanting to do this for a while but now the Mustang begs for it.

I'm going to start by pressure cleaning the floor but any suggestions on how to refinish it? My neighbor, who works at NASCAR has black and white check tile in his garage. I'm not sure if tile is my speed, I'm more looking for a solid grey finish like at a car dealership. Any ideas>?
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona View Post
So, I have an old house built in 1958, you can imagine the concrete garage floor shows it's age. My shiny new Mustang just doesn't look right sitting in here, so I want to refinish the garage floor. Been wanting to do this for a while but now the Mustang begs for it.

I'm going to start by pressure cleaning the floor but any suggestions on how to refinish it? My neighbor, who works at NASCAR has black and white check tile in his garage. I'm not sure if tile is my speed, I'm more looking for a solid grey finish like at a car dealership. Any ideas>?
Head to Sherman Williams and get the garage floor paint. On a floor that old I would use an acid to clean it before I painted it to make sure nothing is left behind. The stuff from the box stores does an OK job for a few years then well lets say you will be doing it again. I like the black and white squares I would do it in paint to make them a diamond pattern.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thanks Mlarv5. Should I use the acid cleaner before or after I use the pressure cleaner? I was thinking pressure clean first to strip away debris, then use a solvent cleaner to get rid of any serious stains, etc and pressure clean again before painting? I like the black/white check tile idea but what I really want is a showroom finish, solid grey. I also want something that is going to last and be an upgrade to my home.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Pressure wash first let it dry for a day or two depending on the heat and humidity acid wash then wash with water from a hose not a pressure washer. Make sure the to use the instruction on the acid wash you get to neutralize it before you rinse it and make sure you have a lot of air flow. A painted floor is slippery when wet so get some sand or something to toss into it so you wont fall on you back side. It only takes a little sand to keep ya safe

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar