Pulled over for drag racing cop - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hahahahahahahaha unbelievable. So I'm coming to a 2 lane redlight in which a cop is in the left lane and it turns green before I stop so I keep going and cross the intersection. Long story short pulls me over for passing on the right! He wasn't even moving when it turned green for like 2 seconds so naturally I pass. The lanes turn into a 1 lane after the light so I merge and go on my way. Comes to the window asks if I have tint I say yes a little bit and comes back and says I cannot pass on the right in NJ and should not have drag raced him. I am speechless and hoping this is the lecture he's going to give me with just a warning luckily it was. He warns me that he won't give me 2 points and does a U turn since his jurisdiction was crossed at the intersection. The funny part was that I wAs in my girlfriends accord. I understand if I passed him in the stang with loud exhaust blah blah. Anyways I'm just glad I got no tickets. According to him the correct thing to do was to stop at my green light and allow him to start and pass me. Funny thing is I'm very careful around police especially when I know they are there I told my girlfriend as i approached the intersection i" I really don't want to pass him" but I had to since he didn't even move at the green. I even started to brake and then thought it would be even more always to come to a stop at a green. You can never win.
Xtian85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
That no passing on the right thing has never made since to me. What if you are in a 65 zone on a highway and someone is doing 50 in the left lane. Do you just have to sit there and wait for them to move over? Personally I think the cop should get a ticket for being in the left lane while not actively passing, if he's going to be a dick about it.
9tee7pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian85 View Post
Hahahahahahahaha unbelievable. So I'm coming to a 2 lane redlight in which a cop is in the left lane and it turns green before I stop so I keep going and cross the intersection. Long story short pulls me over for passing on the right! He wasn't even moving when it turned green for like 2 seconds so naturally I pass. The lanes turn into a 1 lane after the light so I merge and go on my way. Comes to the window asks if I have tint I say yes a little bit and comes back and says I cannot pass on the right in NJ and should not have drag raced him. I am speechless and hoping this is the lecture he's going to give me with just a warning luckily it was. He warns me that he won't give me 2 points and does a U turn since his jurisdiction was crossed at the intersection. The funny part was that I wAs in my girlfriends accord. I understand if I passed him in the stang with loud exhaust blah blah. Anyways I'm just glad I got no tickets. According to him the correct thing to do was to stop at my green light and allow him to start and pass me. Funny thing is I'm very careful around police especially when I know they are there I told my girlfriend as i approached the intersection i" I really don't want to pass him" but I had to since he didn't even move at the green. I even started to brake and then thought it would be even more always to come to a stop at a green. You can never win.
Sounds to me like you were set up for a traffic stop... He saw you coming and waited (after the light changed) for your passing.

The "no passing on the right" law says it's illegal to pass a moving vehicle on the right side that is proceeding in the same direction, although there are specific exclusions. If the cop's car was momentarily stalled at the light, would you be expected to screech to a halt (on GREEN), blocking the right lane, until he could get his junk fired up and moving again? Of course not. He tried playing you for someone that possibly doesn't fully understand the law and would easily take him at his word. No way a ticket would be valid for your actions, provided you didn't accelerate to get around him, so you could merge into that single lane ahead, or exceed the speed limit to do so. I'm betting you got a verbal warning for a reason. A ticket would have been deemed invalid in court. The tint question was a backup excuse to validate the unlawful traffic stop. The "drag racing" description of your actions is laughable. Sometimes I think cops should be sent to traffic school and learn the laws they're supposed to enforce, as written, not as interpreted.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar