Question about speed traps - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Question about speed traps

The speed traps with the numbers that are displayed, Are they capable of reading your speed no matter which way you are going? Because i passed by one a few minutes ago, just goosing the throttle down a side street.

I turn onto the main street, and see an unmarked city cop coming towards me with his lights flashing. He whipped around behind me, and followed me. So, i used my best manners and drove very nicely as he was following me for a few blocked. I got to a stop sign, and he pulled out and blew passed me. So, should i be expecting a ticket fellas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3926323508.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	121885  
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bump for peace of mind.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Coincidence.

Speed cameras with tickets in the mail are becoming more popular in the us. They won't last unless morons actually pay them.

Same with red light cameras, they can prove it was the car. They can't prove who was driving.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

A coincidence that scared the hell out of me. I bet they heard the exhaust and sped over. I hope idon't get any surprises in the mail. But are they capable of taking radar from both directions at once?
Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
Coincidence.

Speed cameras with tickets in the mail are becoming more popular in the us. They won't last unless morons actually pay them.

Same with red light cameras, they can prove it was the car. They can't prove who was driving.
Around here we don't have speed cameras but, the red light cameras here take a clear picture of the driver as well as the car.

Also, in Texas, it is a civil fine for violating a city ordinance and not a criminal case so, the burden of proof is different.

I am sure it is different in different areas.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I'm movin to Texas.

That camera light crap seems like it should be illegal for stayed to use. They will either cause u to wreck trying to get through before its red or have u rear ended because u locked it up trying not to go through. They are only a way for cities to generate revenue, that's it. Am I the only one who feels strongly against their use? I have never gotten a ticket from one but almost wrecked trying to stop on a yellow.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I feel like red light cameras are just HUGE revenue sources for cities. Chicago is the WORST. Those things are everywhere. In my small town alone, there is one on every "Main" intersection. As for the Speed traps. I feel like a cop should have to catch you fair and square in the act. I got a ticket 3 weeks ago from a cop sitting around radaring. He caught me fair and square, and thats what i told him. I have no problem paying it. In the game of cat and mouse, sometimes the cat catches you.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Speed cameras work one way. That's why you can see the numbers. It's a nice way of getting people to slow down. The ticket will go to the registered owner of the car. You either pay it or it will be forwarded to the DMV, BMV or whatever you agency handles driver's licenses and plates. The registered owner of the vehicle is ultimately responsible.

Another one, you go through a state on a toll road and go through the express lane and don't have a sticker. You get a nice ticket in the mail. Don't pay it, it will go into the system. Ever drive through the state again and get pulled over, the long arm of the law will snatch you up.

Think your safe driving a rental car. (Got two of them and I wasn't even driving.) My name was the one on the contract, so I got two nailed to my credit card.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hell no.

They better not be coming in full force in USA.
If it were to happen, I'm going try run for politics in Texas to keep them speed camera out of the Texas.
Our ego on speeding is just too big, and speed camera would make us look like small. An that just don't work in Texas!

(I can't speak for everyone in Texas, but that would be my opinion...)
Old 08-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

amen ^^ lol like what if they put them on the freeway... I wouldn't even get to the entrance ramp without a ticket -___- lol
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Guy was arrested here for shooting one of the camera lights.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I can clear a lot of stuff up here for you guys. The speed trailers we have do record speed of cars in both directions, and some of the trailers out there are equipped with excellent cameras for photo evidence to be used for speeding offenses. Secondly our city installed about 8 red light cameras at the busiest and most frequent accident involved intersections in our city. Yes they generated a ton of cash, first year 1.2 million dollars from only 8 cameras and that's at $75 a ticket. However they did reduce accidents at those intersections by 68% as documented by our crimes analysis guy. And yes I am in Texas and the red light camera ticket is a civil fine so points are not added to the license but the registered owner of the vehicle is responsible to pay the fine or be able to prove who the operator was during the offense.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Alright fellas. So heres another question for you. In my paranoia, i went back to the street with the speed trap. I went down the street the opposite way. (Facing the speed display screen) And it wasn't even on/displaying speeds. This was literally, 30 minutes after the incident. So, what gives with these unmarked cops racing through town trying to find me. Is it legal to get ticketed if the damn thing isn't even displaying numbers?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Update. Might just be me being paranoid again. But, i work in a shopping center. A marked police car drove passed my store, looking directly inside. My coworker is the one who noticed. The officer pulled up and parked directly next to my car, and someone in plain clothing got out, and walked around the car. Got back in the cruiser, and drove off. Now i'm kindof freaked out.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Look.. Buy a radar detector.. Problem solved! The one I just bought detects all bands of radar, laser and red light cameras.. Saves my a$$ plenty!
Shelby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
Update. Might just be me being paranoid again. But, i work in a shopping center. A marked police car drove passed my store, looking directly inside. My coworker is the one who noticed. The officer pulled up and parked directly next to my car, and someone in plain clothing got out, and walked around the car. Got back in the cruiser, and drove off. Now i'm kindof freaked out.
Relax. They were probably looking for someone driving a car similar to yours that was involved in a crime. If they wanted you, they would have come into the store and taken you.

Some cities are getting rid of cameras and some are using them more. It's great when you get someone like PonyBoyV6. Pony will be looking over his shoulder and paying more attention to his driving. That's what most police departments want. Reduces their workload. Even if you get a radar detector, you will be so paranoid you will always be looking out for the PoPo.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
Nay
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpd3014 View Post
I can clear a lot of stuff up here for you guys. The speed trailers we have do record speed of cars in both directions, and some of the trailers out there are equipped with excellent cameras for photo evidence to be used for speeding offenses. Secondly our city installed about 8 red light cameras at the busiest and most frequent accident involved intersections in our city. Yes they generated a ton of cash, first year 1.2 million dollars from only 8 cameras and that's at $75 a ticket. However they did reduce accidents at those intersections by 68% as documented by our crimes analysis guy. And yes I am in Texas and the red light camera ticket is a civil fine so points are not added to the license but the registered owner of the vehicle is responsible to pay the fine or be able to prove who the operator was during the offense.

What city in Texas are you in.
Nay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Relax. They were probably looking for someone driving a car similar to yours that was involved in a crime. If they wanted you, they would have come into the store and taken you.

Some cities are getting rid of cameras and some are using them more. It's great when you get someone like PonyBoyV6. Pony will be looking over his shoulder and paying more attention to his driving. That's what most police departments want. Reduces their workload. Even if you get a radar detector, you will be so paranoid you will always be looking out for the PoPo.
But... But... I don't want to learn my lesson! Just kidding. I personally don't feel like it's wrong to goose the throttle down a side street, empty of pedestrians. It was a stupid location to put the radar cart. And i would NEVER speed down a main street great thing is, right across the street where i got stopped, there is a Stang that is identicle to mine, down to the chrome saleens. So theres that .003% chance it was him they were looking for, but the timing was just too perfect.. I had a radar jammer in the car when i bought it. Took that out as soon as i could. I'm not sure the legality of a radar detector though. We'll see. Like i said, i don't really speed. Just every once in awhile i hit the throttle down a side street.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpd3014
They're a waste of tax payer money and are only incorporated to raise revenue. We got them removed in Memphis because there was an increase of accidents.

It is also the reason my license plate on my work truck is always blocked.
Our's:
Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Radar Jammers are ILLEGAL in all States. Radar Detectors are ILLEGAL in ALL States in any commercial vehicle over 10,000 lbs.

The State of Virginia and the District of Columbia also. In Virginia not only will the issue you a ticket, they will also take the detector.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I knew the Jammer was Illegal, which is why i took it out. Plus, they don't do anything except get you busted when you try to use it. So are you saying Radar Detectors are legal in any car under 10,000 lbs?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #22
slow281
Regular
Supporter

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyBoyV6 View Post
I knew the Jammer was Illegal, which is why i took it out. Plus, they don't do anything except get you busted when you try to use it. So are you saying Radar Detectors are legal in any car under 10,000 lbs?
Yes legal but frowned appon example,

Going 70 in a 60 with radar detector = ticket for 10 over

Going 70 in a 60 without detector and seatbelt = warning.
2003 V6 - Zinc Yellow
1990 LX 2.3 - project
sixpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
I remember a few years back they used to have cameras on the I-10 here in phoenix. It was funny cause they would give you two warnings, one warning when your half a mile away and another when you where 500 feet away (I think). So at anytime of the day you would see break lights close to the second warning and then people would start speeding again Idk what happened but they took them off
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay View Post

What city in Texas are you in.
Killeen
Old 08-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They're a waste of tax payer money and are only incorporated to raise revenue. We got them removed in Memphis because there was an increase of accidents.

It is also the reason my license plate on my work truck is always blocked.
The tax payers actually didn't put out any money for the systems installed they were actually reimbursed from the money as the fines began rolling in. Then additionally it saves tax payer money due to that fine money getting supplemented into the city general fund budget or police budget for enforcement purposes depending on how city council decides to apply it.
As far as more accidents I suppose it could happen but actual statistics here were tracked and the accidents at those intersections went down considerably.
In reference to your work truck plate being covered, uh good looking out for when you decide to endanger yourself and others when running lights I guess?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

The tax payers actually didn't put out any money for the systems installed they were actually reimbursed from the money as the fines began rolling in. Then additionally it saves tax payer money due to that fine money getting supplemented into the city general fund budget or police budget for enforcement purposes depending on how city council decides to apply it.
As far as more accidents I suppose it could happen but actual statistics here were tracked and the accidents at those intersections went down considerably.
In reference to your work truck plate being covered, uh good looking out for when you decide to endanger yourself and others when running lights I guess?
When you are hauling 10k lbs stopping is a planned event. I can't do a quick stop to avoid the camera.

Ever since they shortened the yellow you damn near have to lock up brakes in a normal car.

In most jurisdictions these cannot be used on the basis of revenue generation. Hence the reason they were so easy to fight in Memphis. MPD was using them to balance it's budget. Now they just set up 5 cars on the interstate and write tickets for five over. I enjoy watching people speed by me and immediately get pulled over.
Our's:
Old 08-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When you are hauling 10k lbs stopping is a planned event. I can't do a quick stop to avoid the camera.

Ever since they shortened the yellow you damn near have to lock up brakes in a normal car.
Again I might be speaking only for our city but the light sequence and time hasn't changed on our lights. All I can say is they seemed to have worked for our city both financially and for public safety.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

Again I might be speaking only for our city but the light sequence and time hasn't changed on our lights. All I can say is they seemed to have worked for our city both financially and for public safety.
Hey if they're being used properly I have no issue with them. It's when people get greedy I have issues.

We're still fighting "driving fees" for commuting. Since I cross state lines to get to work they want me to pay tn road taxes.This will be enforced using tax payer funded cameras with plate recognition. These cameras are already installed on the entire memphis interstate system.
Our's:
Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hey if they're being used properly I have no issue with them. It's when people get greedy I have issues.

We're still fighting "driving fees" for commuting. Since I cross state lines to get to work they want me to pay tn road taxes.This will be enforced using tax payer funded cameras with plate recognition. These cameras are already installed on the entire memphis interstate system.
Yeah I agree that is ridiculous, it takes all the profit out of transportation companies and roadway delivery systems. I just want everybody to understand some of the systems are actually used in a manner that benefits everyone and are fair as well as safe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar