Starting class - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Starting class

Well I'm starting classes tomorrow, going for a auto tech degree. Got class everyday of the week, engine repair, steering and suspension, electrical, psychology, and lifetime wellness. I hope I like it! The auto room has a dyno too so this may be fun.

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
i also have a degree in automotive technology, which is why i ended up working in the hospitality industry for 25 years.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I knew more about diesels. A lot more to it but they're making big *** bucks over just automotive. Still not sure if this is where I want to head towards or not I guess I will see.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
I wish I knew more about diesels. A lot more to it but they're making big *** bucks over just automotive. Still not sure if this is where I want to head towards or not I guess I will see.
diesels are essentially gas engines where everything is heavy duty, and you use compression to ignite the fuel mixture instead of an electric spark. the fuel system is also rather different as it operates at much higher pressures than gas engines do. otherwise nearly everything you learn about gas engines applies to diesel engines.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well whatever they're doin different that making 60 something dollars an hour sign me up

Old 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Diesel techs make "**** you" money. That is definitely the direction you should go if you can. A friend's father worked his way up to a shop foreman for PSEG working on their maintenance trucks and made a killing. I'm a mechanic as well by trade, I just work on airplanes. I'm looking at $50/hr for someone like FedEx when I get out of the military if I choose to go get hired as an A&P mechanic. Probably going to try to get hired in a 2nd federal career though. Got to love 2 pensions...

Moral of the story is you don't have to go to school for some idiot degree and then work in a cubicle at $16/hr wanting to kill yourself while hoping that you might get a promotion one day... PLENTY of jobs out there for hands on and they can't outsource jobs like ours either. Binish in India is not going to be able to fix that Caterpillar powerplant over the phone.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well I like diesel trucks cummins blah blah blah. But have no experience with them other than my dads which I took the turbo silencer out and chopped the exhaust off behind the muffler. I don't know much about diesels other than the compression differences and little about motor. I'm sure it's more difficult. And I'm not sure how the jobs are either. It may be something I work towards when I get older. But for now I'm gonna stick with the basic engine repair, steering and suspension, and electrical. Then try to go from there. I'd like to work on older vehicles to modular mustangs. Non of that hybrid ****.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

My father in law is a Honda master tech with 20+ years and he makes 6 figures pulling in around 90 hours of shop time per week (90 book hours).
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Instructor said there aren't many masters around since the ase need more mrl's not sure about anything of that just what I heard today.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well he started in the 80s so there is that lol. I think he is the only master Honda tech there though. The rest are whatever level is below that and a lot of them are crosstrained from all the GM crap that got shut down during the bailout. Lots of Saturn guys there apparently.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know what ase is but ford basically said they are out of that program or whatever it is and said whenever they are all the same they will get back in it. Like Master's MRL and then the regular automotive tech guys that are everything. What's he do exactly?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

He does everything. I mean no transmission rebuilds or anything, they just replace them at the deaelr vs rebuilding them but pretty much everything else and he is FAST too... When the AC blew out on my DD a few years back I bought the parts online and he had the ENTIRE system R2'd and serviced in under 3 hours. All for a 30 pack and a pizza lol.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well that's a hell of a deal lol.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Diesel techs make "**** you" money. That is definitely the direction you should go if you can. A friend's father worked his way up to a shop foreman for PSEG working on their maintenance trucks and made a killing. I'm a mechanic as well by trade, I just work on airplanes. I'm looking at $50/hr for someone like FedEx when I get out of the military if I choose to go get hired as an A&P mechanic. Probably going to try to get hired in a 2nd federal career though. Got to love 2 pensions...

Moral of the story is you don't have to go to school for some idiot degree and then work in a cubicle at $16/hr wanting to kill yourself while hoping that you might get a promotion one day... PLENTY of jobs out there for hands on and they can't outsource jobs like ours either. Binish in India is not going to be able to fix that Caterpillar powerplant over the phone.
Hahaha too funny
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I start back today too, 8am computer class. First thing I do... log into mustang evolution. I have it bad haha
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've had 4-12 morning duty for the last 2 weeks, ends this Friday and from 4-6 I am just being useless on the internets because there is really not much else to do unless something needs my attention which it usually doesn't. Your tax dollars at work...

Old 08-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I go 9-6 today gonna suck. With only a 30 minute break.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I got 8:00-9:20 & 11:00-12:20 and then off to work! So currently in the library on here lol
2006 Mustang GT Premium Satin Silver Metallic | 5 Speed Manual | Hurst Short Shifter | K&N CAI | JSR Strut Brace, FLCA Brace, Rear Shock Tower Brace | Flowmaster Axle Backs | Ford K Springs | JM Trackbar | 93 Bama Performance Tune

BeachMonkey100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
My father in law is a Honda master tech with 20+ years and he makes 6 figures pulling in around 90 hours of shop time per week (90 book hours).
Hmmm - I work in a cubicle and make 6 figures while only working 40 hours a week. Yay for "idiot degrees" I guess.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

You know what I mean. I'm talking about the ppl who get liberal arts degrees and then work at some random office job having nothing to do with their degree because there are no other jobs. I know mulitple ppl where this is the case and I know that some people go get degrees they need and get hired at a job that actually pays something.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Ahhh - gotcha - I never understood people getting degrees that have zero market potential. Like history majors for instance - if it's your passion, great, but don't ***** at me about having one and not making any money with it while you're making my coffee.
SpaceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #22
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish View Post
Ahhh - gotcha - I never understood people getting degrees that have zero market potential. Like history majors for instance - if it's your passion, great, but don't ***** at me about having one and not making any money with it while you're making my coffee.
Exactly! I just hope my liberal arts degree in organizational communications pays off.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
I leave to wyotech here in about a mounth
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar