The Story Of Dan Haga - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2003, 05:49 PM   #1
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to Dan
The Story Of Dan Haga

Its freezing cold outside and I just ate too much so I dont feel like moving. Now Ive gone over the message boards and im bored so Im gonna write a story about my history as a 6er. WARNING... may get boring

It started way back when I graduated HighSchool (class of 99). Yes.. im only 22, most of you guys think im an old fart! Here, put a face with the screen name

But anyway after I graduated I had already been working in the civil engineering business making decent money so switching to full time I was ready for a new car. At the car lot it was between an eclipse, an avenger, and a Mustang GT. I liked the Mustang hands down but mom would not co-sign on the GT so I ended up getting the V6 next to it. I wasnt mad tho, the V6 was still alot faster than my old 88 lebaron vert. The car was bone stock with 19,000 miles on it. It even came with a bonus, in the trunk i found a box of condums, a bottle of lotion, some bateries and a chicken bone!!!

After a buddy showed me how to remove the air silencer I bought a K&N drop-in filter woohoo! It was fast, then I raced a turbo 300zx. Well lets just say after that I was open to new performance ideas. I searched the internet and came across this small v6 community called V6 Power. It wasnt to big but it was all that there was at the time. With advice from some of the guys "Gaston" and "Saleen6" I was on my way to some new bolt-ons check it out!

Seems like no matter how much I spent the car still SUCKED! So when i brought up nitrous at V6 power the guys laughed at me. I remmember getting crap from Gaston, Pete... even my dad At the time there was only one V6er running nitrous "V8Eater" and he was a ghost, never around. There was the superchargers a few guys were running (maybe 4-8 v6ers) but I didnt wanna pay that much. So what do I do, I ordered the NOS 5115 kit (dry). I loved it and convinced a few other 6ers to get it as well. After nitrous was accepted into teh v6 world I got bored and wanted to try something else. I bought a supercharger with plans of using it with the nitrous. COOL!

Well it was cool untill that night at the track. 10psi pulley and a 75 shot, I raced a gutted crx with a 100 shot I barely won the race and became one of the first v6ers into the 14s that night. I also became one of the first to send an engine into melt-down
By then I had a good bit of people following my progress so I started up a website which is now www.extremev6racing.com. With a little help from "Frank" I was able to put together one of the first organized V6 Mustang events, the V6 Shootout. You might know some of these guys

The event was a success even tho I could not race because my engine was fried at the time. The event was also probaly the first of such a thing to be writen about in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords. With some begging my article and photos got a 2 page spread in the April of 2001 issue! (http://www.extremev6racing.com/media.html) It felt good to get us v6ers publicity and I knew I could do better.
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 05:49 PM   #2
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

It was about this time that I stumbled across a little company called Super Six Motorsports. Their powerpack offered the power of a GT without nitrous or a supercharger and no one knew about it! It was at this time I found my first sponsor. They agreed to give me some ported intakes for some advertizing help. I spread the word across V6Power and at the car shows and events. At the time porting and cams were unheard of to most v6 modders but it took off fast.
Getting back to the car.. I killed it at the track that night, burt 2 pistons. I bought a chiltons manual and used it to aid in building a new engine with forged pistons. Again being one of the first my actions were closesly followed and used by many to start their own projects. This is what I ended up with.

With the new engine in I had a new understanding for "tuning" and why detonation was so bad Mail order chips werent cutting it so I looked for a dyno tune. No one local would touch a V6 not even loracca's up in NJ. I ended taking a road trip to alabama 1200 miles one way to get the car dynotuned at JMS by Chris Johnson. The trip was hell flying solo in the middle of summer with no a/c until my pitstop in georgia where I stayed the night with the Super Six guys. Notice the pic below, thats Tom Y. on the right

After my tune things were looking up I became one of the first v6ers to bust into the 13s without nitrous.
A year past and it was time for the V6 Shootout again and me and Frank pulled off an even better even than the previous year bringing racers up from the carolinas and down from Canada. We all had fun even tho that V6 Firebird was still beating up on everyone Here are some pics:

After the events my dedication to the v6 world was again noticed by the Mustang Magazines. I was contacted by MM&FF for a photo shoot and 5.0 tracked me down at a local Ford event.
The media attention helped me gain interest my aftermarket parts makers and new sponsors even some big names. I picked up sponsors Bassani, Fluidyne, Corbeau, Morana V6 Racing, Muscle Motors and AutoTap. The car was then featured by MM&FF in Sept. 02 and by 5.0 in April 03 (http://www.extremev6racing.com/media.html).
When the features hit the shelves my site hits boomed and my email became flooded with people wanting help with their V6s. Ive spent coulntless nights and hours helping many of you get started in modding your V6s.
Somewhere around this time the v6 world stopped. The major engine projects that everyone was following were completed and being in the middle of winter there just wasnt much to talk about with V6 Mustangs. Useless posts flooded the boards, seemed like the cool thing was to watch cnn and post all the headlines. The lounge became the place to be with newbie bashing run by the nazi government lead my Gaston and ChrisB99. Standing up for some newbies I was named an outcast and banned from the site. It didnt bother me tho, I started up a forum of my own and brought much needed tech help to other new v6 web communities.
But anyway.. I hit close to the 300rwhp mark and stuff started breaking. I was running 13s half the time and ridding home on a tow truck the other 50% of the time. I broke rearends, trannies, driveshaft, shifter, the list kept growing untill a compression check showed that the new engine i built was not sealing well causing me to lose alot of power. The timing really sucked! I had just convinced the guys at Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords to hold a V6 Shootout. The 7 of us (me, brian, frank, clint, brandon, zach and pete) and a few other stangs had the entire track at Englishtown to ourselves for the day. I was not happy with my times in the low 13s and overall it was not a very good display of big v6 power but it was great again to get some publicity for us V6 guys. Pete probaly would have ran the show but he just had to smash in his windshield before the racing began! Danngit Pete, who has duct tape!! The shootout ran in the dec. 02 issue of MM&FF with a full 9 pages in color (http://www.extremev6racing.com/media.html)
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Old 11-29-2003, 05:49 PM   #3
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

It was finally decided that I needed a new engine. My horsepower was way to low for my modifications. I started building a whole new engine from scratch this time and used a well known machine shop for my machining. I wanted this one to be right. I took my time and built it right next to the nightstand in my bedroom.

I put in the new engine along with some other goodies and it ran excellent! While the engine was breaking in me and Tom Y. from Super Six again tried something new. We designed and built the first aftermarket intake manifold to be available for the 94-98 V6 Mustangs. Again hearing crap about our ideas from "V6 Gurus" we proceeded with what ended up being a huge success.

Earlier this year Pete and the guys from Fordchip.com held a local dynotuning day which I and many other local stangs attended. The fordchip guys did a great job tuning and with my newly designed sheetmetal intake manifold the car made over 400 rwhp and rwtq! Yet again dropping jaws and breaking new ground in the v6 realm.

After the dynotune driving the car was insane and scary. It was fast and on the edge of uncontrollable. Sadly I only got to floor it 4 times before I turned 3rd gear into metal dust. I have since be limping around on a junkyard tranny saving for a new one but I recently took advantage of the low interest rates and bought myself a house. The new lifestyle makes it hard to buy anything I want for the car so im kinda just at a standstill. Only mods to the car are fillups and oil changes. A new tranny and easy 11 second timeslips are only dollars away but I dont know how long it will take me to get there. Im still putting in my V6 time tho, I just recently finished up the plans and models for the split-port sheetmetal intake manifold. You guys can look foreword to seeing that available very soon along with some other cool things me and Super Six are working on.
Oh well, im getting hungry again now If you made it this far you are true to the V6 army! Dont forget to give credit to the guys out there putting tons of time and money into keeping this v6 thing alive! Its not time for my comeback yet but I will be sure to let you all know as soon as I return from the track after getting a new tranny! Keep Moddin!!
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2003, 06:04 PM   #4
Ken
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Hampshire
Nice story. how many times have you had to tell it to all the magazines!

Good job!
Old 11-29-2003, 06:39 PM   #5
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
Nice story. how many times have you had to tell it to all the magazines!

Good job!
Not many, basicly when they feature a car they make a story out of a mods list amd a few facts
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Old 11-29-2003, 06:58 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
Good luck on the transmission, I pay an 847 dollar mortgage payment and a 405 GT payment every month, plus my other bills, I know its tough man!
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 07:59 PM   #7
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick0636
Good luck on the transmission, I pay an 847 dollar mortgage payment and a 405 GT payment every month, plus my other bills, I know its tough man!
I got you beat by alot on the mortgage but you killed me on the car payment! 400+ is crazy
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Old 11-29-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

when opening this thread, i expected it to be of some newbie and his life story.. but I was wrong, I read the whole thing.. that's cool man.

but with the sound things of everything breaking, you've got my kind of worried about modding my GT, I am wanting to get around 500 horse and torque.. but I don't want things to fall apart just cause I've got that much power under the hood.

Garaged:
1990 Ford Mustang GT
5.0L V8
4-Speed Automatic Overdrive
ItWouldAppearSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Quote:
I got you beat by alot on the mortgage but you killed me on the car payment! 400+ is crazy
my moms car payment is $600 a month
(2000 Chevy Tahoe LS)
ItWouldAppearSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:06 PM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Rick0636 Send a message via Yahoo to Rick0636
I got the GT used in 02, paid 19.9K, cause the new verts were going for like 30K, I didnt' want a coupe, I could have gotten a new coupe for a little more and lower interest for less payments. I pay 13.? interest on my Vert with Ford Motor Credit.
Rick Kilpatrick, AAS Automotive Systems Tech, Alamance Community College, Class of 99. 06 5 speed manual Mustang with Pony pkg : GT Mac Mufflers, true duals with one custom pipe. 2.5" system. GT bumper cover, all installed March 7&8 2006. AFE Stage 1 CAI, Motoblue Underdrive pulley, GT aluminum shifter knob, honeycomb rear blackout panel,and dash kit installed. Roush hood scoop and side window louvers installed. SS taillight trim has been installed, new alum. GT steering wheel installed.
Rick0636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 10:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have heard of you over the yrs but never had actually had a chance to actually see any information from your side of things, and have heard your name from another friend at some point... he would always mention your name about this and that... and I was like who...?

Very kewl life achievment award to you my friend, glad for you to be part of this site and give your history and background to some of the new comers with deep pocket$.

This will be the last place you would ever get run off from I assure you, alot of traffic has merged over to this site from v6power due to the nazi-ite of gaston, and we welcome all here in deed. I am no moderator or anything by any means, but just from my experience here since I have come over to the site and have seen many changed since its wide growth, you are very welcome here with your passed experiences in deed in my eyes, we all could learn very much from you!

Rock On Man!

If I told you all what we pay for my 98 v6 and my wifes 2.5 month old 03' Mach1 you would just die, and how ford wont pay to get the acid rain fixed properly because they think we modded the hood so the shaker would fit through the hood is a whole nother story!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:01 PM   #12

Damn thats truely amazing man, this guy tons of respect from all v6ers. Loved the story man, have fun moddin
'98 Cobra Rims, 245/45 Dunlops, Mach1 Chin Spoiler, GT Takeoff Swaybar, Eibach Pro Kit, 20% Tint, eBay Cold Air intake, Kenwood 4022 Headunit, Tri-ax shifter, True Dual Exhuast w/ Spintech Pro Streets
JoeR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:21 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Where'd you get the hat?
Laser02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 07:18 AM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
Quote:
The car was bone stock with 19,000 miles on it. It even came with a bonus, in the trunk i found a box of condums, a bottle of lotion, some bateries and a chicken bone!!!
^that's quite an incentive package

lol

cool story
Old 11-30-2003, 10:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 98VroomVroom
Awesome story, I have heard about you and your car many times..even been to your website and read about it..nice to finally hear how you got started. Keep up the good work and good luck with your new house and getting your tranny.
Originally Posted by EclipseGSTdude
" my useless aftermarket 10" tach is off and my clutch is going out and my vtec controller broke and my Nos floormats were ripped off and my powered by honda seatbelt covers were cutting off circulation to my shifter arm".
98VroomVroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:38 AM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
nice dan!
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 10:56 AM   #17
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser02
Where'd you get the hat?
I bought the hat at my local drag strip. They have a little stand where they sell stuff like that.
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Old 11-30-2003, 02:16 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
very nice man, I wish I just had the time and Money to get my hands dirty. I am only 18 tho, now my dads 99 V6 is paid off we are going to do a engine swap at a local mustang shop in greenfield. But neway good story, i have seen your webpage and i like the info you have on there!
Old 11-30-2003, 03:15 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
want a cookie? haha, j/p
Old 11-30-2003, 03:55 PM   #20
Dan
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64
want a cookie? haha, j/p
This car brings in more cookie than you could imagine
My 3d Modeling Portfolio
Old 11-30-2003, 06:52 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

awesome story, its good to finally hear it from beginning to end

But you didn't mention me as a sponsor either AM I NOT BIG ENOUGH! lol

Keep up the good work Dan, you are always the talk of the v6 modding industry.
Autobadges.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:33 PM   #22
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Dom
That's awesome dude!

Even before I got my car I knew there was someone out there that had already blown up the V6 racing world.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:43 PM   #23
Regular

Quote:
want a cookie? haha, j/p
h8er

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 08:18 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

i just realized i have a published version of that story! (in the april '03 5.0 mustang anfd super fords mag)
Old 12-04-2003, 10:34 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Class of 99 ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2003, 02:37 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

'05!!
Old 12-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
Quote:
'05!!
no no 04
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 10:03 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Old 12-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Damn kids
Old 12-05-2003, 02:33 PM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
03 baby
Old 12-06-2003, 12:14 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
97 ownz j00 all!
Old 12-06-2003, 12:09 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

99 rocks youngin'z
Autobadges.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 06:00 AM   #33

Quote:

Hey Rick i got ya beat on the car payment

http://www.rsmooth.com/fileplace/use...l_IMG_2401.jpg
02SilverGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar