Weight lifters - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Weight lifters

I want to start taking creatine I've always been natural but I need some help to get to the next level what do you guys drink what are you taking I'm new to supplements
Salc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
What are you trying to do? Gain weight? Supplements help gain weight but are expensive. You could gain weight much faster by eating the right amount of foods. Creatine works with some people but not all. It does make you stronger but not gain weight. If you do, its what we call 'water weight' cause youll probably drink a lot more water when you take it than you usually do.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clflorida View Post
What are you trying to do? Gain weight? Supplements help gain weight but are expensive. You could gain weight much faster by eating the right amount of foods. Creatine works with some people but not all. It does make you stronger but not gain weight. If you do, its what we call 'water weight' cause youll probably drink a lot more water when you take it than you usually do.
I'm really just trying to get my numbers up I weigh 200 I'm 6 foot tall ive been running lately and eating healthier to lose fat but I'm ready to start getting my numbers up no matter what work outs I do now or how I change it up I'm just stuck at the numbers I'm at now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salc7 View Post
I'm really just trying to get my numbers up I weigh 200 I'm 6 foot tall ive been running lately and eating healthier to lose fat but I'm ready to start getting my numbers up no matter what work outs I do now or how I change it up I'm just stuck at the numbers I'm at now
First of all..(picture) lol

2nd i think you're at what we call a plateau? Its when you reach a hill in your workouts and cant get over it. Sometimes you need to push extra hard, sometimes you need to change your workout routine, sometimes you just need to wait like a week or two from lifting. Im positive there's guys on bodybuilding.com that have had the same problem. Maybe use google or sign up there.

As for supplements this link has your basic needs. Protein, multivitami, and omega 3s. They have other stacks if you wanna look at those. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/op...ner-stack.html (for the protein, i recommend the banana flavor, it tastes like those little banana runts you used to get at stores!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_molrczs41t1qdhjfgo1_500.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	134475  
Old 10-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Forget to mention some proteins do claim to help you break plateaus so that could also help. The one in the link is Whey Protein its made for you to get stronger. They also have Weight Gainer Protein which is obvious what it does. And Casein Protein, a more slow digesting protein. Thats the stuff you take before you go to bed, if youve been waking up with a empty stomach Casein could help.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
From my background and trial and error in the gym... I am not a believer of supplementation to bust through a so called plateau. Think of your body as a machine. Plateaus are reached when this machine gets tired and is unable to rebuild and or get stronger. Plateaus also occur due to overtraining.... You should post up a typical week of working out for you... If you have in fact reached over training ... The only real way to counteract it is by rest .... Or shall a say... A form of "medication". Hope this helps but posting a typical workout will help us decipher if overtraining is the problem.... Key question to this is has your weight dropped at all in the past month dramatically?

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Quote:
Forget to mention some proteins do claim to help you break plateaus so that could also help. The one in the link is Whey Protein its made for you to get stronger. They also have Weight Gainer Protein which is obvious what it does. And Casein Protein, a more slow digesting protein. Thats the stuff you take before you go to bed, if youve been waking up with a empty stomach Casein could help.
I would believe a Protein makers claims of busting through a plateau... That's simply marketing BS
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
I want to start taking creatine I've always been natural but I need some help to get to the next level what do you guys drink what are you taking I'm new to supplements
Only thing creatine does is fill ur muscles with water, unless u mix. I've been taking fire ball liqui fusion and l carnitine for 5 monthes and my bmi dropped from 24 to 22. And all I do is lift and watch what I eat. Plus it makes ur veins pop lol

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Whey protein is very good, but the flavors suck.
ProudSixxer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Do what this guy does at my gym!
All natty son!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2621565250.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	433.1 KB
ID:	134553  
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
From my background and trial and error in the gym... I am not a believer of supplementation to bust through a so called plateau. Think of your body as a machine. Plateaus are reached when this machine gets tired and is unable to rebuild and or get stronger. Plateaus also occur due to overtraining.... You should post up a typical week of working out for you... If you have in fact reached over training ... The only real way to counteract it is by rest .... Or shall a say... A form of "medication". Hope this helps but posting a typical workout will help us decipher if overtraining is the problem.... Key question to this is has your weight dropped at all in the past month dramatically? ---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ---------- I would believe a Protein makers claims of busting through a plateau... That's simply marketing BS
My weight dropped 30lbs since the beginning of September I cut out junk food and snacks and stuff like that Mondays is chest and tri day I always do 30 minutes of cardio after every lift Tuesday shoulders and back day Thursday leg day and Fridays is bicep and more cardio
Old 10-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My weight dropped 30lbs since the beginning of September I cut out junk food and snacks and stuff like that Mondays is chest and tri day I always do 30 minutes of cardio after every lift Tuesday shoulders and back day Thursday leg day and Fridays is bicep and more cardio
That seems to be the basic of a good workout routine. Covers your bases. Do you do supersets?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That seems to be the basic of a good workout routine. Covers your bases. Do you do supersets?
I do three sets usually 10-8-6 for reps and I go heavy on the weights I try to make sure I'm failing by the last rep on every set
Old 10-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do three sets usually 10-8-6 for reps and I go heavy on the weights I try to make sure I'm failing by the last rep on every set
Maybe thats the problem. Try decreasing the reps and doing more weight? But you did say you're doing them to failure...mm you didnt really say you werent doing supersets so you could try those. They can really kick your āss if you're just doing a basic 1 set-rest, 2 set-rest.. routine. Its basically where you do...like 1 set of squats and 1 set of leg press back to back with no rest in between and thats 1 set. There's many workout routines that use them but i have one i use that is kinda similar to your daily routine.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/get-...ner-day-1.html

If you do some scrolling you should be able to find day 2. Please ignore his supplement routine thats like $200 a month in supplements.

Also you go to a gym or have access to lots of machines right?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
First, what is the next level?

Set clear, definite goals. "Getting stronger" is not a goal. Make your goal something measurable by time and performance. For example, I want to increase my squat by 35 lbs by my next meet (date X).

The two most important points are INTENSITY and EXERCISES. When I was in school, and people asked me how to get big, I would ask them what they did. I did not get strong by doing curls and drinking large amounts of beer. I did not get strong by standing around the gym talking about the 'hoes I banged' or the 'INSERT RANDOM BEER GAME I won X times last night."

Your exercises really matter. Power cleans are the most important as a full body. For getting stronger, and overall body growth, it's squats. For your core and stability, dead lifts.

Focus on your primary groups, then breakdown the little guys. Example, when I did my back today, I started with deadlifts. I am not trying to gain just strength, as I am no longer focused on my powerlifting career, it's just recreational. So my old workout would have been conventional deads, sumo deads, good mornings, then back extensions. Squat day (do real squats, break parallel or it's not a squat) should start with squats. It's not leg day, it's squat day. Squats, then separate the groups. Quads, curls, and don't forget your hips. Chest day should start with bench, then your stronger group. My triceps are much stronger than my chest, so I do dips until I am done, then dumbbell flies, then to cables for tris, then a machine for flies.

Make sure you do as much with real weight. The last thing you want to use is a machine. If you can, use your body weight. Dips on bars, pull ups, push ups, so on. First, use weight- dumbbells if you can, then bars and plates. After that you can shift to cables, or something with assist like the ladies squat bar (the one with the rails on the side). When you use machines, it should be because you can't do anymore weight or keep control of the weight.

What are your breaks? How intense do you go? How often do you do a 2x15 @ 80% weight with 30 seconds rest? Burnouts every so often? Super sets are good in moderation. Do you time yourself? When you are resting one group, are you pushing the other? Today in my deadlift breaks I did push ups, alternating style.

Posting detailed information will be the best way to get detailed responses. If someone tells me "I want to get stronger" I say "Go workout." If someone tells me what they do exactly, I can give information on what I would do to help myself shift from that point.

Supplements:
Someone said supplements are expensive. Not really. To eat right in food compared to supplements is much more expensive. Any professional body builder will tell you the same. Compare foods value to the supplements, and you will see it. Now don't get me wrong, you can over pay and waste money on supplements very easily- some are worth money, others are not. Protein is not what you want after a workout. You want amino acids. AAs make up protein, but are broken down further. Food takes longest to break down and digest, then your protein powders, then AAs. If you want to keep your body anabolic, I would advise getting total garbage cheap nasty protein for snacks, AAs for post workout, and casein or milk & protein before bed. You want to keep your body with protein, so breakfast, half way to lunch should be a light shake (~20g protein), lunch, light shake, dinner, evening shake. The best pre workout in the world is instant oatmeal an hour before. Rip it open, pour it in your mouth, and you've got what you need. Caffeine and the other stimulants or oxides work, but are not NEEDED. There are different types of creatine. Some add water weight, some don't. Yes, there is water weight with some. You will retain water to a lot of your muscles, but it helps recovery, endurance, and building strength. I don't waste time with it, but some may have good results. I have never needed it to get stronger, but the creatine my sponsor gives me results. I haven't used it in a while, which reminds me I should get some more, it's been a long time lol.

Some people have told me I overtrain. But I'm much stronger than every person who has told me this lol, the only people I know stronger (no steroids) think I don't train enough or hard enough.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

^knows what hes talking about when he said "its easy to waste money on supplements" thats why i recommended the gold standard one in the link. As far as my results and other reviews, its the best quality protein you can buy.

By next level he means hes..stuck at where hes at. Hes not getting stronger.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Nice little write up ^. Its all mainly your goals. If you want to cut or bulk. Hard to do both, thats why body builders usually do one at a time for a few months. You dont need a ton of supplements. Just some AA, multivitamin, omega 3's, some whey if any. and consistency is key. Consistent diet, workout, sleep patterns
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #16

Region: Georgia
This thread is too broad of a topic to ask for specific advice. We don't know your body as well as you. If I could give you advice, it would be to stay as natural as you possibly can. Take some good rated whey protein (go to bodybuilding.com) for post workout. Besides that, control your diet and use it as a tool to gain muscle and lose fat.
jacobnoori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^knows what hes talking about when he said "its easy to waste money on supplements" thats why i recommended the gold standard one in the link. As far as my results and other reviews, its the best quality protein you can buy.

By next level he means hes..stuck at where hes at. Hes not getting stronger.
It's hard to take ones' tone on forums and in text, so no disrespect/rudeness intended here.

I read his posts and followed the thread so far, and I mentioned that in my post- the first line. He says next level, but what is the next level? That was my original question. Is he stuck at 295 on bench and can't get 300 up? Is his deadlift stuck at 565, and he can't pull a pound more? The next level for one person is watching youtube to see how to do a certain lift, the next level to someone else is going to a higher ply squat suit- as another mentioned, being broad limits us in how we can give feedback.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Creatine is naturally accruing in the body already. Creatine monohydrate will make you hold water. Creatine such as creaklyn will not. I am 5'9 207lbs. Been lifting for a while. Main thing I recommend is eat eat eat eat if your trying to gain wait. If you are bulking you have to take in fats also. A good weight gainer protein b4 you go to sleep will help also. And carb load in the am. Good WEIGHT gaining plan would be
Meal 1. 6-12 boilled egg whites/ 2 cups of oatmeal
Meal 2. 2 chicken breast/ sweet potato/greens
Meal 3. Turkey burger pattie. Rice/ greens
Meal 4 tuna wraps.
Meal 5. Steak. Sweet Potato. Greens
Meal 6. Good weight gainer b4 bed

Also whey in between meals/ b4 and after workout. Labrada has a new weight gainer out. 1900 calories. 300g carbs. 80g protein.

Sleep also. You dont grow in gym you grow while you sleep. If you hit a wall. Change up your routine. I change mine up every 3 or so weeks. If you rely on supplements 100% you will be upset. Dont fall into the hype the try and sell you on. Eat eat eat eat eat. Cant strees that enough
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlueGT View Post
Nice little write up ^. Its all mainly your goals. If you want to cut or bulk. Hard to do both, thats why body builders usually do one at a time for a few months. You dont need a ton of supplements. Just some AA, multivitamin, omega 3's, some whey if any. and consistency is key. Consistent diet, workout, sleep patterns
All of my friends who are body building started as power lifters. I don't really follow the Olympians, but allegedly they powerlift to gain major mass (and strength) and then hone and develop their particular muscles.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My personal goal is 265-270
Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

If you just want supplement recommendations, I advise Torrent (bodybuilding.com) or HydroWhey (bodybuilding.com
as a post workout, as in, immediately after finishing. You should be eating a meal shortly after your workout.
For your snacks, either get the cheapest per gram protein, or just get one of these: WalMart Protein Search
Keep in mind, none of this will make you stronger if you don't push yourself. Oats and protein will help you maximize your work (as mentioned, you destroy yourself in the gym, you rebuild yourself later), but just smashing food will just make you fat if you aren't using it or don't need it. Weight gainers will do the same. If you take in too much and your body doesn't need it, you will just store it as fat. Gaining weight is easy, I'd just use what you need. Gain muscle with minimal fat gain.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

^I think he needs to maintain his weight. He mentioned hes about 200 and wants to stay that way. He also said since September hes lost 30lbs..which, and idk much about losing weight, is...kinda extreme. Do you know any formulas to calculate how many calories he needs to eat in order to maintain his weight?

And no ones arguing here man.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^I think he needs to maintain his weight. He mentioned hes about 200 and wants to stay that way. He also said since September hes lost 30lbs..which, and idk much about losing weight, is...kinda extreme. Do you know any formulas to calculate how many calories he needs to eat in order to maintain his weight?

And no ones arguing here man.
I would utilize these: https://www.google.com/#q=how+many+c...s+should+i+eat

I don't really trust them, but I've grown to know my body and what it needs. I would advise to use it as a guide, more so. If he's just started really lifting, he could be plateauing from the amazing gains one sees at first. A lot of people I have trained have been that way, starting out great and their biggest challenge is the mental battle of powering through the slow down.

I didn't take anything as an argument, and everyone's experience will be different. What works for me may not work for someone else. Doing squats until you literally can not stand isn't for everyone- I just want to make sure it's clear in my tone/writing, it's too easy for text only communication to take a wrong turn

Oh, there is a supplement I swear by. Universals Animal Flex. If I could only have one supplement, it would be this. I take two pacs per week, split up throughout the week, a few parts per day. I have tried many other supplements, and others do work, but not as quickly as Flex. I have learned in my wisdom (making stupid mistakes lol) that my joints need extra support, and this is the best product I have found.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Hydrowhey is good. I've used multiple times from optimum nutrition
Old 11-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry I should've gone into more detail let me just sum up the past year real quick I'm in my freshman year of college when I started my senior year at highschool my max bench was 155 halfway through the year it was 225 but by the end of the year it only got up to 230 I worked even harder the second half of the year and I was using whey protein from wal mart. Over the summer I didn't lift at all I got kinda fat from all the partying and stuff cause it was my last summer then in September went through a bad break up with my girl of 3 years didn't eat or sleep for a month lost 35lbs of muscle and fat and now I'm here I weigh 206 my numbers are pathetically low my max is 185 bench and I feel weak all around I have my mind clear now I joined a gym retro fitness and I'm ready to just focus and work on me also of anyone has any extra work outs for my chest and tri day or my leg day to help that would be great and explain what to do in the lift but I'm not a guy sayin I wanna make her jealous and get ripped or I just wanna be jacked and look good I used to be really into weight lifting I'm doing this for me and I just want to work on myself and build my body I don't give up in the gym I'm there for at least 90 minutes every time I go until I can't go no more
Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

You mentioned more about being ripped/jacked. Is it more of a goal to gain muscle, but mostly leaning up, or more of a goal to get strong while leaning up?

90 minutes is a long time in the gym. i remember when I would take hours in the gym, but over time, I have just cranked up the intensity and cut the time way down.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

90 min is to long.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
You mentioned more about being ripped/jacked. Is it more of a goal to gain muscle, but mostly leaning up, or more of a goal to get strong while leaning up? 90 minutes is a long time in the gym. i remember when I would take hours in the gym, but over time, I have just cranked up the intensity and cut the time way down.
I know 90 minutes is long I just enjoy being there it's just a time to clear my head and put all the bs aside I'm trying to become strong but lean and I want people to see It when I take my shirt off I don't need a chiseled six pack I just don't want to have a fat stomach just try to tighten everything up I guess kinda like this picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1549995304.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	134796  
Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Alot of it is also genetics. 45 min is a perfect amount of time to get a good workout in
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

so I should probably just shorten my time in the gym and up the intensity does that sound right?
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
so I should probably just shorten my time in the gym and up the intensity does that sound right?
Yes but you can overtrain also. Tell me what your workout schedule is. Workours. Reps sets
Old 11-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Yes but you can overtrain also. Tell me what your workout schedule is. Workours. Reps sets
I try to get there three times during the week not including weekends. first day of the week is chest and tri day 3 sets of bench 10-8-6 each time to failure. 3 sets of tricep extension above head 10-10-10. 3 sets of tricep extension downward with the wire machine 10-10-10. 3 sets of pec flys 10-10-10. ill break in between each set and I end everyday with 30 minutes of cardio.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I try to get there three times during the week not including weekends. first day of the week is chest and tri day 3 sets of bench 10-8-6 each time to failure. 3 sets of tricep extension above head 10-10-10. 3 sets of tricep extension downward with the wire machine 10-10-10. 3 sets of pec flys 10-10-10. ill break in between each set and I end everyday with 30 minutes of cardio.
Try this.
Monday. Chest/bicep
Tue. legs
Wed. Off
Thur. Shoulders/ tricep
Friday back
Sat off
Sun off
Old 11-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post

Try this.
Monday. Chest/bicep
Tue. legs
Wed. Off
Thur. Shoulders/ tricep
Friday back
Sat off
Sun off
Maybe he could add Abs to Friday also? If he doesn't do them everyday.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Should do cardio everyday. That works your core still, but id do a little more core work on your back day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar