Air force - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Air force

So, I'm joining the Air Force. I know there's military people on here so if there are any Air Force people what should I expect during boot camp? I've already signed my papers with my recruiter. I take my asvab and get my physical pretty soon, hopefully about a week or two. Any tips for boot camp or just a description of how it is would be awesome! I just want to get an idea and know what to expect when I get there.
C_Dailey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Dailey95 View Post
So, I'm joining the Air Force. I know there's military people on here so if there are any Air Force people what should I expect during boot camp? I've already signed my papers with my recruiter. I take my asvab and get my physical pretty soon, hopefully about a week or two. Any tips for boot camp or just a description of how it is would be awesome! I just want to get an idea and know what to expect when I get there.
Not air force but Marines and good luck brother remember asvab is important it qualifies you for jobs so try and do your best and when you go to meps don't freak out lol it's all normal
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
andregayola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Coast guard here. The way I understand it the Air Force boot camp is pretty different than the others. So I really wouldn't know much about it. You can always YouTube AF basic training videos and such. Just get in good shape and go to boot expecting to act on orders and not talk back. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a high fitness level before you get there.

And take the ASVAB seriously. Especially for the Air Force. That AFQT will limit you more in the AF than most other branches.

And try your best at MEPs with the testing. Passing all the required tests is also a big thing.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
Coast guard here. The way I understand it the Air Force boot camp is pretty different than the others. So I really wouldn't know much about it. You can always YouTube AF basic training videos and such. Just get in good shape and go to boot expecting to act on orders and not talk back. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a high fitness level before you get there. And take the ASVAB seriously. Especially for the Air Force. That AFQT will limit you more in the AF than most other branches. And try your best at MEPs with the testing. Passing all the required tests is also a big thing.
+1

The Marine boot camp and almost all of the branches are different
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 11-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's pretty much all the same. I'm a different element and different country, but the deal is the exact same. To take you from a civilian and turn you into a proper military member. Get used to answer yes to things you would normally say no to. Keep your head up, never talk back and don't lose hope. The instructors have to break you. It's part of the process. No one walks in from the streets and is already 100% ready. Apart from assimilating you into the ranks, it's also a rite of passage. We all suffer through it. It's all a game though. Just remember that dumber and less physically fit people have made it before you, so with that in mind, you should always have a shrivel of hope.

My personal recommendation is to make sure that if you do something wrong, don't explain yourself or attempt to bargain. This is a reflex we normally do as civilians, and while it may work when your Dairy Queen manager is chewing you out, it will not help you in basic training. If you ****ed up, you say "I messed up (person's rank/sir). Won't happen again". Afterwards, more than likely, get prepared to do some push ups.

Anyways, there's not much to do to prepare for it. It's supposed to be a unique experience. It may differ from how I described it, but basic training is essentially the same for most people and branches with some differences uniquely based on the element and some branch specific traditions (marines will know what I'm talking about here)

Good luck with everything and no matter how many times you fall, puke while running, get hurt or fail to meet your staffs expection; always get back up and fight for some more.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
It's pretty much all the same. I'm a different element and different country, but the deal is the exact same (the essentials anyways) To take you from a civilian and turn you into a proper military member. Get used to answer yes to things you would normally say no to. Keep your head up, never talk back and don't lose hope. The instructors have to break you. It's part of the process. No one walks in from the streets and is already 100% ready. Apart from assimilating you into the ranks, it's also a rite of passage. We all suffer through it. It's all a game though. Just remember that dumber and less physically fit people have made it before you, so with that in mind, you should always have a shrivel of hope. My personal recommendation is to make sure that if you do something wrong, don't explain yourself or attempt to bargain. This is a reflex we normally do as civilians, and while it may work when your Dairy Queen manager is chewing you out, it will not help you in basic training. If you ****ed up, you say "I messed up (person's rank/sir). Won't happen again". Afterwards, more than likely, get prepared to do some push ups. Anyways, there's not much to do to prepare for it. It's supposed to be a unique experience. It may differ from how I described it, but basic training is essentially the same for most people and branches with some differences uniquely based on the element and some branch specific traditions (marines will know what I'm talking about here) Good luck with everything and no matter how many times you fall, puke while running, get hurt or fail to meet your staffs expection; always get back up and fight for some more.
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Coast guard here. The way I understand it the Air Force boot camp is pretty different than the others. So I really wouldn't know much about it. You can always YouTube AF basic training videos and such. Just get in good shape and go to boot expecting to act on orders and not talk back. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a high fitness level before you get there.

And take the ASVAB seriously. Especially for the Air Force. That AFQT will limit you more in the AF than most other branches.

And try your best at MEPs with the testing. Passing all the required tests is also a big thing.
MEPs reminded me of my friend that failed it because he got "stage fright" when he had to pee in the cup with the guy literally staring at him lol

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
MEPs reminded me of my friend that failed it because he got "stage fright" when he had to pee in the cup with the guy literally staring at him lol
And don't forget the random prostate exam that comes along
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Yep.. Get really comfortable being naked in front of the same gender.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys! I definitely am taking the asvab seriously, I even bought an "asvab for dummies" book to study. I've been working out and running at the gym for a few months to try to physically prepare myself haha I never thought about looking at BT on YouTube but I'll definitely check that out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
It's pretty much all the same. I'm a different element and different country, but the deal is the exact same. To take you from a civilian and turn you into a proper military member. Get used to answer yes to things you would normally say no to. Keep your head up, never talk back and don't lose hope. The instructors have to break you. It's part of the process. No one walks in from the streets and is already 100% ready. Apart from assimilating you into the ranks, it's also a rite of passage. We all suffer through it. It's all a game though. Just remember that dumber and less physically fit people have made it before you, so with that in mind, you should always have a shrivel of hope. My personal recommendation is to make sure that if you do something wrong, don't explain yourself or attempt to bargain. This is a reflex we normally do as civilians, and while it may work when your Dairy Queen manager is chewing you out, it will not help you in basic training. If you ****ed up, you say "I messed up (person's rank/sir). Won't happen again". Afterwards, more than likely, get prepared to do some push ups. Anyways, there's not much to do to prepare for it. It's supposed to be a unique experience. It may differ from how I described it, but basic training is essentially the same for most people and branches with some differences uniquely based on the element and some branch specific traditions (marines will know what I'm talking about here) Good luck with everything and no matter how many times you fall, puke while running, get hurt or fail to meet your staffs expection; always get back up and fight for some more. ---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 PM ----------
This definitely helped quite a bit, some good stuff I haven't been told yet. Thanks man! ---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by andregayola View Post
And don't forget the random prostate exam that comes along
I thought you don't get those until you're older? Haha ---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------
Quote:
Yep.. Get really comfortable being naked in front of the same gender.
I heard they put stalls in the showers now but I'm not sure if it's for sure or not.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks guys! I definitely am taking the asvab seriously, I even bought an "asvab for dummies" book to study. I've been working out and running at the gym for a few months to try to physically prepare myself haha I never thought about looking at BT on YouTube but I'll definitely check that out! This definitely helped quite a bit, some good stuff I haven't been told yet. Thanks man! ---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ---------- I thought you don't get those until you're older? Haha ---------- Post added at 11:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ---------- I heard they put stalls in the showers now but I'm not sure if it's for sure or not.
They give you one in MEPs and your naked
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 11-14-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andregayola View Post
They give you one in MEPs and your naked
Ahh for sure I know about the naked part but I didn't know they did the prostate exams
Old 11-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ahh for sure I know about the naked part but I didn't know they did the prostate exams
Yep it's not that cool
Cold Air Intake
K&N Air Filter
Front sway bar Bushings
Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I went through basic about a year ago for the coast guard and our shower situation was two poles in the center of a 6x10 room. Each pole had six shower heads on it. We had twenty guys in our squad bay. We got five minutes to shower, shave, and brush our teeth plus be fully dressed for whatever our next activity was. Hah.

That's a small room for that many naked people. No stalls.

And I've never had a prostate exam. So idk what the other guy is talking about.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I went through basic about a year ago for the coast guard and our shower situation was two poles in the center of a 6x10 room. Each pole had six shower heads on it. We had twenty guys in our squad bay. We got five minutes to shower, shave, and brush our teeth plus be fully dressed for whatever our next activity was. Hah. That's a small room for that many naked people. No stalls. And I've never had a prostate exam. So idk what the other guy is talking about.
Jesus. 5 minutes to do all that? I can't even take a sh.it in 5 minutes hahaha and yeah I'm not sure either, my parents said they don't do them. They're both retired coast gaurd.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
I went through basic about a year ago for the coast guard and our shower situation was two poles in the center of a 6x10 room. Each pole had six shower heads on it. We had twenty guys in our squad bay. We got five minutes to shower, shave, and brush our teeth plus be fully dressed for whatever our next activity was. Hah. That's a small room for that many naked people. No stalls. And I've never had a prostate exam. So idk what the other guy is talking about.
Marines and airforce do. I have multiple friends who got the prostate exam at MEPs

HID end all thread
Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Jesus. 5 minutes to do all that? I can't even take a sh.it in 5 minutes hahaha and yeah I'm not sure either, my parents said they don't do them. They're both retired coast gaurd.
It's hard but you get good at it. One minute to take off clothes, one minute to shower, one to brush teeth while drying off, one to shave, one to get dressed.

Just know that like stated before your instructors are solely there to put pressure on you in every single way possible. To make you into a confident and unwavering piece of military goodness.

Just do not give up and try your best to not get frustrated and just roll with the punches. Don't take things personally.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

one minute to shave? Ok i could do all that other stuff in the allotted time, but i would probably have to combine shower and shave so i could at least have 2 minutes.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

Don't be the big macho tough guy, because if the drill instructor learns your name or remembers you your life will be hell, my dad was about 130 pounds when he went through boot for the air force and he just flew under the radar and watched all the bigger macho guys suffer.

And definitely don't take things personally, boot is designed to break you down, don't let it get to you.

HID end all thread
Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Being a fourth generation soldier I can honestly tell you, and not emphasize enough, how important the testing is. It literally decides everything; as well as your physical fitness. So get fit, mentally an physically, to better serve your nation.
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I'm USAF, as stated the testing is really important. Decide what you want to do, then tell them you want a guaranteed job. You'll have to have the right scores to get the job you want. As for the probe exam, all we did was spread our cheeks and they shined a light in there. Lol

AF basic is nothing like the other branches, it's 95% mental, 5% physical. Listen well and you'll be fine, but they will break you if you ever plan on leaving basic. The job you want in your squad is the laundry lady. You'll have access to the phone's, vending, smoking and fresh air while everyone else is cleaning the dorm. I don't know if you want a trade or just see the world. If seeing the world is what you want, be a load master on a cargo plane. Be prepared to ask yourself WTF have I done the minute you land in San Antonio. They will kiss your *** non stop to get you there, after that, your *** belongs to Uncle Sam.

Good luck young man, you'll have something to be proud of the rest of your life.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Ex USAF. Ditto what tc_x_4 said. Do your best on the ASVAB. Get a guaranteed job!

Basic is easy. It really comes down to one thing. Do exactly what you are told and only what you are told. They are trying to teach you to follow orders. If you interpret an instruction you may unknowingly compromise something else. Follow orders, keep your head down, do your best.

Welcome to the club and thank you for your future service! Aim High!
timle8n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys! I really am taking the ASVAB seriously because I do want to get certain jobs and not just anything they throw to me. Definitely helped out with those last couple replies. I'm definitely not the mug macho guy either haha I'm 5'9 and about 136-138lbs. Prepared for push-ups and prepared for being yelled at, get it from my parents a lot hahaha.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Push ups aren't an AF thing. Boom operator is another cool job where you get to fly and travel a lot. Other than testing, my advice is to learn how to spit shine a pair of boots. They won't show you how, but you better believe they expect it. Things have probably changed a lot since I went to BT. In my day, smoking was the only reward system they had, don't fall prey to it. They march you for hrs in the hot TX sun, then smokers fall out for a smoke in the shade where they can puff and BS, while nonsmokers stand at attention in the sun. I ran 10mi a day before going, by the time I left it was all I could do to run the mile. It's easier to get off crack and heroin than cigarettes.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Push ups aren't an AF thing. Boom operator is another cool job where you get to fly and travel a lot. Other than testing, my advice is to learn how to spit shine a pair of boots. They won't show you how, but you better believe they expect it. Things have probably changed a lot since I went to BT. In my day, smoking was the only reward system they had, don't fall prey to it. They march you for hrs in the hot TX sun, then smokers fall out for a smoke in the shade where they can puff and BS, while nonsmokers stand at attention in the sun. I ran 10mi a day before going, by the time I left it was all I could do to run the mile. It's easier to get off crack and heroin than cigarettes.
Huh that's weird. My recruiter told me I need to be able to do at least 40+ push ups. But yeah I'm definitely not a smoker. Tried it, hate it. Hate the smell hate the taste. I hate everything about it haha but i want to be a mechanic. On anything cars planes helicopters whatever I can get, I just want to learn to work on engines.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I hated cigarettes too, I still do even tho I've smoked 2pack's a day since basic. There are thousands of mech job's. You'll need high math scores to get the good one's. You don't want auto mech, all you'll be is an oil changer. A really good job in mech, don't remember title, is the crew that test the after burners. I was a crewchief. I'd take my plane to a tunnel where we chained it down, the operators would remotely give it full throttle. You thought the world was coming to an end. In layman's terms, it's an engine dyno.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
We definitely needed to do some push ups - can't remember how many - but it wasn't outrageous. The AF physical test at the end isn't all that challenging if you are in reasonable shape. We are the brain not the brawn of the military. I could probably still pass the PT test at the end of basic and I'm way far out of shape compared to back then.

I was a 3C0X2 - computer programmer. Still am as a civilian now. Good job but you won't get to the see the world. I was stuck and they even cancelled my TDY so I didn't re-up. Don't regret joining, don't regret getting out.
timle8n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I hated cigarettes too, I still do even tho I've smoked 2pack's a day since basic. There are thousands of mech job's. You'll need high math scores to get the good one's. You don't want auto mech, all you'll be is an oil changer. A really good job in mech, don't remember title, is the crew that test the after burners. I was a crewchief. I'd take my plane to a tunnel where we chained it down, the operators would remotely give it full throttle. You thought the world was coming to an end. In layman's terms, it's an engine dyno.
Math is my best subject so I think I should be good, that sounds like a badass job! I'll ask my recruiter about it and see what he knows. I was leaning more towards helos or jets than cars anyways
Old 11-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
That's what my dad did. He worked on the jet engines in the AF

HID end all thread
Old 11-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Math is my best subject so I think I should be good, that sounds like a badass job! I'll ask my recruiter about it and see what he knows. I was leaning more towards helos or jets than cars anyways
Helicopters and jet are both great job's. There is numerous systems on each, that are different job classifications. A crewchief launches the plane and does all the basic mechanics plus crash recovery. Some of the more involved are, engine, hydraulics, fuel systems, electrical, electronics, radar, sheet metal etc. Be sure to ask about job's with a singing bonus. They've been known to pay $10k. Once you know where you stand on your scores, don't let them rush you on raising the right hand. Take your time and decide what it is you really want to do. I won't BS you, your gonna hate BT. Year's later you'll look back with fond memories.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
That's what my dad did. He worked on the jet engines in the AF
That was a good job, was he able to transfer it to civilian life.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Helicopters and jet are both great job's. There is numerous systems on each, that are different job classifications. A crewchief launches the plane and does all the basic mechanics plus crash recovery. Some of the more involved are, engine, hydraulics, fuel systems, electrical, electronics, radar, sheet metal etc. Be sure to ask about job's with a singing bonus. They've been known to pay $10k. Once you know where you stand on your scores, don't let them rush you on raising the right hand. Take your time and decide what it is you really want to do. I won't BS you, your gonna hate BT. Year's later you'll look back with fond memories. ---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ---------- That was a good job, was he able to transfer it to civilian life.
Crew chief sounds pretty cool, and being more involved with the engine and such is something I want to do also. I'll ask my recruiter about the signing bonus jobs as well. My parents were telling me I don't HAVE to sign anything if they don't have the jobs I want open and that I can wait till they do so I'm not going to rush into it. But thanks man, you've helped quite a bit!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Keep us posted. Especially after basic, I'm anxious to see how much thing's have changed since 79. I really doubt much has other than needing a HS diploma.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Keep us posted. Especially after basic, I'm anxious to see how much thing's have changed since 79. I really doubt much has other than needing a HS diploma.
Will do man, I'm supposed to go to meps pretty soon just need a call from my recruiter.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. Amen to the boots thing. Just got a pic of mine versus another guy's on my boat. He's been here 7 months. I've been here almost a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1603686281.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	136477  

Old 11-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha. Amen to the boots thing. Just got a pic of mine versus another guy's on my boat. He's been here 7 months. I've been here almost a year.
Ya they would march us through mud, the pull a boot inspection just to chew ur azz.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Quote:
ur boots are floating in midair :-0
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee20e View Post
ur boots are floating in midair :-0
Yeah. Coast guard has it's tricks.