Body Builders or Fit people ? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
+1 on my fitness pal, it helps a lot but just hard to keep up with it
Just downloaded it tracked my breakfast today (:
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

I drink these shakes occasionally.. Good or bad?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2469539080.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	138220   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2570029803.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	138221  

Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Gym 5 days a week. No supplements. Never really thought about taking anything.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
The whole 6-meals-a-day-because-it-raises-your-metabolism thing is a nutritional myth that has been debunked many times in recent years. If you're not eating 4,000+ calories a day, you don't need that many meals, and even then you might not need six, but rather four or five. As far as training, stick to the compound movements and lift as heavy as possible and then do a deload after 4-6 weeks; progressive overload is the name of the game. And throw the steady-state cardio in the trash and do high intensity intervals. It will save you time, aid your muscle-building and fat loss, and also not impart the immunosuppressive effects of steady-state cardio. It took me a lot of time, research, and money wasted on useless supplements to learn those time-tested truths.
for everyone their own, different things work for different people, personally portioning out meals to about 4,000+ calories a day has worked for me. But then again everyone's bodies are different and respond differently.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sonicbgt View Post
for everyone their own, different things work for different people, personally portioning out meals to about 4,000+ calories a day has worked for me. But then again everyone's bodies are different and respond differently.
I was just saying that the extra meals don't increase your metabolism, it only increases the thermic effect of feeding which is what falsely lead early researchers to assume it increases basal metabolic rate. But yeah if you're eating a ton of calories then split up your meals however you need to in order to balance gastric stress and convenience. I know at one point I was eating 8 meals for about 5,500 calories, but that was pretty stressful and impractical and didn't last too long.
CodyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Some great info above.
If ur trying to bulk, don't do cardio. Walking, if any. Use any clean mass adder and eat, eat eat. Gym 3-5 times a week, and work out smart. Heavy weights with low reps.
Def an app like my fitness pal works good too. Try to max protein intake with few calories...hard to do without supps.
Sounds like a perfect candidate fora. trainer and a Nutritionist. Hell, wife is both, and even she uses them! Check out Bodybuilding.com, some really great stuff there.
Congrats on getting in shape. I truly is a lifestyle.
Troy
Old 11-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Anyone here work out ?
Just started back up last month again,

Just wanted to ask for any advice towards eating correctly.

I usually take pre-workout before , and take protein shake afterwards.

Also eating boiled eggs / chicken / veggies / water / milk / salads light dressing / peanut butter / etc. Although I don't eat completely great I cheat ..

I was at 145 now I came up to 155 from just working out and eating more.

I would like to get bigger as in mass , but still want to be cut , I already know bigger weights is for mass and lighter and more reps is for getting toned.
OP the best thing you can do for yourself is go to bodybuilding.com and go to the nutrition forums section and read the stickies. You need to learn the basics of proper nutrition. I have been seriously eating and lifting on and off for 3 years and I can tell you that the best service you can do for yourself is to really understand how your body works. For the past 6 months or so I've just been maintaining and concentrating more on my career and have not lost an ounce of strength. Once you understand your body gaining, losing, and maintaining weight is very easy.

Here are a few key notes regarding bodybuilding:
1. Supplements are not necessary and will not make or break your gains (excluding the recommendations below)

2. Micronized Creatine and a USP verified multi-vitamin are the only supplements that I would personally recommend (maybe a fish oil if you don't eat fish). These are the only ones I recommend because the amount of animal meat would need to eat in order to get the same in 5g of micronized creatine is way too much, the multi-vitamin is not necessary, but it's a cheap insurance policy to make sure you hit your micros.

3. It's not the names of the foods you eat that matter it's the number of calories and where those calories are coming from

4. There is no such thing as a mesomorph, ectomorph, or endomorph

5. Eating clean doesn't mean what most people think it does, you can eat ice cream, bacon, and other "dirty" foods daily and still get all the results you desire

6. The timing of when you eat is LARGELY irrelevant, meaning if you eat 2000 calories everyday and then go to bed you won't get fat (as long as those 2000 don't go above your TDEE goal for the day).

Some key players in the realm of proper nutrition and fitness are Layne Norton and Alan Aragon, the information they provide is incredible.

Now you also don't need to eat 5-6 meals a day, you can eat 3 meals a day if you want to, it doesn't matter and will not make or break your gains. Simply, what you need to do is go to the nutrition section on bodybuilding.com and figure out your TDEE, figure out your minimum requirements for fat, protein and carbs, and then start putting together a meal plan of food that you would enjoy eating. Remember, the food you eat should be food you enjoy, if you don't see yourself eating those foods 10 years from now you'll never survive.

If you have any questions at all, or if anyone else reading does, ask here or shoot me a PM I am very well versed in proper nutrition.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:27 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd like to get big just don't want to get fat
BTW if this is what you want then expect a slow gain of .5 - 1lb. a week, with proper training and diet, usually about 10 - 15% above your TDEE.

Personally when I bulk I like to go a little more aggressive, about 13 - 18% above my TDEE. You gain a bit more fat, but you feel like the Incredible Hulk, lol.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
4. There is no such thing as a mesomorph, ectomorph, or endomorph.
... Can you explain what you mean by this? I think what you're getting at is that everyone has the ability to lose/gain weight depending on their ability to control their diet, but I also think you're overlooking another part of the definitions of each somatotype, e.g. bone structure.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
creatine will only add size if you drink a **** ton of water. the only thing creatine does is pull water into your muscles
Luke02GTmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
... Can you explain what you mean by this? I think what you're getting at is that everyone has the ability to lose/gain weight depending on their ability to control their diet, but I also think you're overlooking another part of the definitions of each somatotype, e.g. bone structure.
You are correct in your first assumption, I should have been more specific. Basically the underlying meaning is don't sell yourself short or pin yourself into one of those categories, a person's potential is largely based upon their work ethic.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You are correct in your first assumption, I should have been more specific. Basically the underlying meaning is don't sell yourself short or pin yourself into one of those categories, a person's potential is largely based upon their work ethic.
Gotcha, and I agree with you there.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
creatine will only add size if you drink a **** ton of water. the only thing creatine does is pull water into your muscles
What about its role in ATP resynthesis in the phosphocreatine energy system?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke02GTmustang View Post
Here's an article by Layne Norton that should provide some insight onto the benefits of creatine: The Evolution of Creatine | MUSCLE INSIDER

Also, to anyone reading, creatine is one of those things where more =/= better. Your body can only effectively use the recommended 5g, beyond that you will just pee it out.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
I drink these shakes occasionally.. Good or bad?
It depends what your trying to do, it has a very low amount of calories but high in protein, the is good for getting your daily protein but not so good for gaining weight.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
It depends what your trying to do, it has a very low amount of calories but high in protein, the is good for getting your daily protein but not so good for gaining weight.
Okay that's what I was thinking just wasn't sure.. My mom buys them all the time so why not?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:09 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay that's what I was thinking just wasn't sure.. My mom buys them all the time so why not?
I would say they're not too bad, at first it looks bad, but most of those ingredients are under 1%, so it's immaterial. Honestly, this isn't terrible if you need something to hit your minimum requirement for protein.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would say they're not too bad, at first it looks bad, but most of those ingredients are under 1%, so it's immaterial. Honestly, this isn't terrible if you need something to hit your minimum requirement for protein.
Thanks for the advice. I believe it's 1g or protein for every pound you weigh? Is that correct?
Old 11-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Anyone here work out ? Just started back up last month again, Just wanted to ask for any advice towards eating correctly. I usually take pre-workout before , and take protein shake afterwards. Also eating boiled eggs / chicken / veggies / water / milk / salads light dressing / peanut butter / etc. Although I don't eat completely great I cheat .. I was at 145 now I came up to 155 from just working out and eating more. I would like to get bigger as in mass , but still want to be cut , I already know bigger weights is for mass and lighter and more reps is for getting toned.
hey i was always the fat kid I. School so when I started lifting I followed some really strict diets and some good cardio. Iv put on tons of mass with just casien and whey protien. No creatine. And I weight about 305 right now...I do 10 mins of HIT training before and after my workout witch usually last about 2 hours. Pm me if u need and advice or an idea for how to eat or products that worked for me Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3818915403.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	138581 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-428329449.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	427.6 KB
ID:	138582 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4102772694.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	138583

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-445239294.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	138584
Luna1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I believe it's 1g or protein for every pound you weigh? Is that correct?
Yeah that's fine, you can go as low as .82g per pound of body weight if you want. Even at .82g that is far more than the sufficient amount needed.

General minimum requirements for macros are:
.82g per pound of body weight for protein
.4g per pound of body weight for fat
The rest of the remaining calories can be split however you want between extra fat, protein and carbs
Old 11-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah that's fine, you can go as low as .82g per pound of body weight if you want. Even at .82g that is far more than the sufficient amount needed.

General minimum requirements for macros are:
.82g per pound of body weight for protein
.4g per pound of body weight for fat
The rest of the remaining calories can be split however you want between extra fat, protein and carbs
This is a bit low. Remember, he wants to bulk. 1-1.5g per lb is what I would recommend.
Troy
Old 11-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

So since I weigh 145lbs I would need around 140g of protein a day?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
This is a bit low. Remember, he wants to bulk. 1-1.5g per lb is what I would recommend.
Troy
Not at all, .82g per pound for protein has proven to be more than sufficient for muscle building.

Reference: The Myth of 1 g/lb: Optimal Protein Intake for Bodybuilders

For example, if you weight 175 lbs., whether you're bulking or cutting you need at least 143.5g of protein. Of course this is just a minimum, it's always a good idea to give yourself a good buffer, there's nothing wrong with eating more than .82g of protein per pound of body weight, but if we're talking minimums then .82g is definitely more than enough as is.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote:
So since I weigh 145lbs I would need around 140g of protein a day?
Yeah that's perfectly fine. Make sure you eat at least .4g of fat per pound of body weight too. Calculate your TDEE to give you a rough estimate of what calorie intake you need to meet your goal.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not at all, .82g per pound for protein has proven to be more than sufficient for muscle building. Reference: The Myth of 1 g/lb: Optimal Protein Intake for Bodybuilders For example, if you weight 175 lbs., whether you're bulking or cutting you need at least 143.5g of protein. Of course this is just a minimum, it's always a good idea to give yourself a good buffer, there's nothing wrong with eating more than .82g of protein per pound of body weight, but if we're talking minimums then .82g is definitely more than enough as is. ---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ---------- Yeah that's perfectly fine. Make sure you eat at least .4g of fat per pound of body weight too. Calculate your TDEE to give you a rough estimate of what calorie intake you need to meet your goal.
I'm at around 3200 calories a day to gain weight.. It's hard to get that many.. I normally get around 2500-2700
Old 11-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm at around 3200 calories a day to gain weight.. It's hard to get that many.. I normally get around 2500-2700
What's your body weight and body fat %?

You can use any online calculator for the bf%, we just need a starting point. I'll show you the calculation.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's your body weight and body fat %? You can use any online calculator for the bf%, we just need a starting point. I'll show you the calculation.
I weigh 145lbs and my BMI is 20.3%
Old 11-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I weigh 145lbs and my BMI is 20.3%
I'm assuming you meant 20.3% is your BF% not BMI.

This calculation is taken from the sticky here: Calculating Calorie & Macronutrient Needs - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Your TDEE should look like this:
BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight(kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

LBM = [65.77084* (100-20)]/100
LBM = 52.61667

BMR = 370 + (21.6*52.61667)
BMR = 1506.52

TDEE = 1506.52 * 1.5 (Moderately active you can use 1.6 if you want)
TDEE = 2259.78

With a deficit of 10% - 20% your calories should be between 1807 and 2034.
With a surplus of 10% - 20% your calories should be between 2486 and 2712.

Minimum Recommended Macros:
.82g of protein per pound of body weight = 145*.82 = 119g * 4 = 476 calories
.4g of fat per pound of body weight = 145 * .4 = 58g * 9 = 522 calories
*** The remainder of your caloric intake can be filled with whatever mix of carbs and additional protein and fat you prefer, but I would personally prefer the remaining calories to favor carbs more than anything else.

Also keep in mind these calculation are still estimates and you will need to adjust your calories based on your progress relative to your goal.

Use the scale once a week and adjust your calories if you need to, but you most certainly don't need 3200 calories, that's far too much. Shoots for 2500 and see how that goes, just remember to get AT LEAST 119g of protein and 58g of fat in your diet from mostly whole foods.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Will do man. Thanks for the help! If I have any other questions I'll make sure to DM you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar