New job - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Hey everyone, so as of today I am 18 years old :cheer: and I've been looking around at other jobs (currently at a grocery store making minimum wage) which isn't gonna help me mod the stang as much as I'd like and keep up with payments. Now that I'm 18 I have a ton of options out there. My cousin is a manager for a valet service at hotels/hospitals, and I was wondering if anyone works as a valet or has before? If so, how do/did you like it? Anyone have any good job ideas? (Still in school) thanks! All suggestions are appreciated!
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedOutBKR View Post
Hey everyone, so as of today I am 18 years old :cheer: and I've been looking around at other jobs (currently at a grocery store making minimum wage) which isn't gonna help me mod the stang as much as I'd like and keep up with payments. Now that I'm 18 I have a ton of options out there. My cousin is a manager for a valet service at hotels/hospitals, and I was wondering if anyone works as a valet or has before? If so, how do/did you like it? Anyone have any good job ideas? (Still in school) thanks! All suggestions are appreciated!
Bob weren't you a valet? What do you like to do? What kind of skills do you have?

Happy bday!!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Happy birthday man!!!
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmiller View Post
Bob weren't you a valet? What do you like to do? What kind of skills do you have?
Well I've been working customer service for over a year now.. I've thought about automotive, working at a restaurant (server), or lot tech at a ford dealer.. Just some options though.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
Happy birthday man!!!
Thanks bro!
Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Well I've been working customer service for over a year now.. I've thought about automotive, working at a restaurant (server), or lot tech at a ford dealer.. Just some options though. ---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ---------- Thanks bro!
Don't work on cars , be better than that

Go to school , and work part time

Your car can wait
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Don't work on cars , be better than that Go to school , and work part time Your car can wait
yeah do this ^^

Work a ****ty job to get through school. Do it the right way. I worked as a bagger boy at albertsons for 2 years. This was before I got the mod bug (drove an 02 Buick century) but I made enough in min wage to afford a 2 bed apt cool!
KoolPwny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
yeah do this ^^

Work a ****ty job to get through school. Do it the right way. I worked as a bagger boy at albertsons for 2 years. This was before I got the mod bug (drove an 02 Buick century) but I made enough in min wage to afford a 2 bed apt cool!
KoolPwny is right! Experience is a huge help get that work experience whether its seasonal or year around employers like it

And Happy Birthday
Old 11-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Yup id just try to get a raise and continue gaining experience with your current employer. Jobs aren't easy to find these past few years and if you really want to work somewhere else don't quit your current one until you find another.
Happy birthday
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks everyone. Yeah I would never quit this job.. If I find another job and get hired than I will put in my 2 weeks. I may just ask to get promoted to a checker and move up to $9.13/hr
Old 11-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Go apply at a beer company as a driver assistant and use them to get your CDL. This will open a lot of doors for you. I'm not saying you have to stay their but once you have that CDL there will be a lot more out there for you. It will also leave your nights open for school.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You don't have to be 21?^
Old 12-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't have to be 21?^
No you do not. I worked for a coors light distributor when I was 18.
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Correct, I got my CDL when I was 19 working for a transit company. You do have to already have a drivers license and a clean driving history though btw. I will give a little piece of advice to you though because I made this mistake.

If you can live at home or in a dorm.. Do it! Do not get into a situation where you are having to pay anything up front while going to school. If the parents let you stay at home.. Even better! Free food and free rent is better than most anything you've ever thought of when you have to grow up.

Stay away from car payments, credit cards, and student loans. All of those are bad while being a student. Like I said, live like a poor kid for a little while and use school to get where you need to be. Nothing wrong with eating dinner at home and sleeping in the same bed you grew up in while being a full time student. And if your friends say something about it, then don't listen lol.

I moved out when I was young. Bought things, took out loans, and expensive car because I was working a great job. Getting all of those things on my own was great and I loved having them, but if I could go back I would saved all my money and waited till I graduated and been debt free. I'll be paying student loans for another 7-8years, could have saved a ton on rent, and I just BARELY paid off that car I just had to have lol. Here I am looking to buy this huge house that I have dreamed about and I have to pay for things I haven't needed money for in years. Money that could go to mortgage payment.
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:56 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolPwny View Post
yeah do this ^^

+1
A car can wait while an EARLY education cannot...
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The only payments I have right now are for my car.. Which I'm close to paying off. Just like my parents said " might as well have fun with it while that's the only bills you have to pay right now." I don't spend all my paychecks every month. I always put some away to save.. It's just nice to have a little more change in your pocket to do those kinds of things.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
You work at a grocery store? That sells sodas? If this doesn't get you a raise, quit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131201_085855.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	139267  
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow4V View Post
Don't work on cars , be better than that

Go to school , and work part time

Your car can wait
^ this.

Honestly, I understand that you want to trick your car out as much as you can, but you're going to be kicking yourself later on. Keep the car in good shape and get through school and get that expensive piece of paper that employers are looking for. Then after you graduate and get a full-time job you can get a new mustang. I drove a '94 Camry for 8 years and I didn't owe that car anything, it did what I needed it to do. The amount of money you'll have stockpiled away for a down payment on a new mustang will be well worth it.

Do you know what you want to do? If so then try and get an entry level job somewhat related to your field. Even if it's entry level you can work your way up if you take pride in what you do and are willing to go in every time you're scheduled to go in and work your *** off. For example, my gf is going to school to be a nurse and is currently working part-time as a transporter (simply moving patients from one room to another or to radiology). Even though this is an entry level position and doesn't pay a lot, it gets you a foot in the door and some great experience and the ability to begin networking. This way when you apply for a full-time job, wherever that may be, people will see your name come across their desk and say "hey, I know this person." If you did a great job in that entry level position they will most likely hire you.

Getting a job nowadays is about who you know not so much what you know. I'm 25 right now and have been fortunate enough to get a full-time job 3 months after I graduated because of the people I knew. Since then I have been working hard and making sure I put in 110% everyday, which has gotten me to the point where I am just about making double the salary from when I started.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmiller View Post

Happy bday!!
Honestly I wish I still valeted :/ that was by far the best job I ever had. Easy work/work out lol. Great money and you get to drive the baddest ***** cars on the planet. You get paid to exercise and drive amazing cars, what's not to like? Of course when you first start out, you will get the not so good lots/money but after a short period and they see you will work and can drive, they will move you up.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Take the valet job, and thank me later :p
Old 12-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04sonicbgt View Post