Need help/advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Need help/advice

Hey guys and girls out there i need some help and advice. heres my story, i am 19 years old currently live at home and commute to college. I need to part ways from my family for now and really get on my own. I know a lot of people are going to say make peace with your parents and live at home but that is not really an option for me. I just want to know if i were to move out of my house what kind of expenses i would be facing. I live in the PA just want advice from anyone who is doing it right now what your paying each month and what im going to need to do. i know ill need to pay my car insurance for my stang, gas, food, but whats everyone paying as far as rent wise and how would i go about getting health care and any other hidden expenses i might not know about. i appreciate any advice given.
Salc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salc7 View Post
Hey guys and girls out there i need some help and advice. heres my story, i am 19 years old currently live at home and commute to college. I need to part ways from my family for now and really get on my own. I know a lot of people are going to say make peace with your parents and live at home but that is not really an option for me. I just want to know if i were to move out of my house what kind of expenses i would be facing. I live in the PA just want advice from anyone who is doing it right now what your paying each month and what im going to need to do. i know ill need to pay my car insurance for my stang, gas, food, but whats everyone paying as far as rent wise and how would i go about getting health care and any other hidden expenses i might not know about. i appreciate any advice given.
Best thing you can do is live on campus and work with the school for reduced tuition and living expenses. Use student loans to pay for as much as you can (not a good idea but you have to do what you have to) and finish school asap. Living on your own will cost alot more than you think, and you can never really know what you will have to pay for. Rent is anywhere from $500 studio to $780-800/month in my area for a nice 1 bedroom. Not to mention groceries, trash, utilities, Internet/cable, car, insurance, gas, girls, beer and everything else. Not to mention furniture and clothing
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
Best thing you can do is live on campus and work with the school for reduced tuition and living expenses. Use student loans to pay for as much as you can (not a good idea but you have to do what you have to) and finish school asap. Living on your own will cost alot more than you think, and you can never really know what you will have to pay for. Rent is anywhere from $500 studio to $780-800/month in my area for a nice 1 bedroom. Not to mention groceries, trash, utilities, Internet/cable, car, insurance, gas, girls, beer and everything else. Not to mention furniture and clothing
+1
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLwhat View Post
So I could just move out and live on my own as long as I can pay the rent utilities and for my car?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
So I could just move out and live on my own as long as I can pay the rent utilities and for my car?
Yeah you can scrape by. Adding the stress involved with making rent every month and getting more hours at work is going to hurt your school. I've done, and I did it. I had to work full time and nights all through college but it was worth it. I wouldn't do it that way again though
ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
A lot of good suggestions here posted above.

Here are some numbers to think about:
Rent for 1BR - anywhere from $500 to $900 a month
Cable - ~$90 a month
Car Insurance - no idea what yours is
Food ~ $200 a month
Utilities - DO NOT get a place with oil heat, it's VERY expensive I have central air in my 1200 sq. ft. apartment and pay ~$50 a month to give you an idea
Cell phone?
Car payment?

Compare those expenses to how much room & board and a meal plan is at school. You will be able to find a job doing something at the school, just ask around. Scholarships are great too, I'm sure you can find some. I would also recommend finding a 2nd job a couple nights a week if possible. Depending on how much money you need if you can get a job working in a club or as a valet you have the potential for some nice tips which will help and they will only need you during the weekends most likely.

For health insurance you can apply for Medicaid, it's very cheap and you only pay a few dollars for a copay usually around $3. Before yo sign up be sure to look at your options and make sure you choose an insurance that is accepted at facilities close by. Some plans also offer dental and vision packages along with their health insurance plan.

It's not going to be easy, but you can do it.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooperV6 View Post
A lot of good suggestions here posted above.

Here are some numbers to think about:
Rent for 1BR - anywhere from $500 to $900 a month
Cable - ~$90 a month
Car Insurance - no idea what yours is
Food ~ $200 a month
Utilities - DO NOT get a place with oil heat, it's VERY expensive I have central air in my 1200 sq. ft. apartment and pay ~$50 a month to give you an idea
Cell phone?
Car payment?

Compare those expenses to how much room & board and a meal plan is at school. You will be able to find a job doing something at the school, just ask around. Scholarships are great too, I'm sure you can find some. I would also recommend finding a 2nd job a couple nights a week if possible. Depending on how much money you need if you can get a job working in a club or as a valet you have the potential for some nice tips which will help and they will only need you during the weekends most likely.

For health insurance you can apply for Medicaid, it's very cheap and you only pay a few dollars for a copay usually around $3. Before yo sign up be sure to look at your options and make sure you choose an insurance that is accepted at facilities close by. Some plans also offer dental and vision packages along with their health insurance plan.

It's not going to be easy, but you can do it.
Thank you im crunching the numbers now
Old 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Thank you im crunching the numbers now
My advice would be to open up an excel file and make a spreadsheet for yourself. I have one for myself that I use from time to time to see how much I should be saving or if I can afford certain things I want. It's nothing fancy, just lists all my expenses per year compared to my net income, it definitely helps when makings big decisions.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar