Computron upgrade time! - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Properly testing a power supply requires a good bit of hardware. A load tester, that generally cost upwards of $2000. Then you will need an oscilloscope, power meter, probe thermometer and a nice digital multimeter. I don't even have all the equipment. It all costs too much money to do proper testing. It would likely take over 10 years to even break even. I have a Coolmax Power Supply Tester, all it does is tests for +12, +5 and +3.3 voltages. It doesn't have any way of loading the power supply which is when you will most likely run into issues. I would say at least twice a month, I test a PSU with this tester and it passes. I then install it back into the system and it fails under load. Swap out the PSU and everything works.

The boards I listed are simply sold out just about everywhere, not discontinued. I didn't realize that. There is a run on AMD hardware with the current craze in crypto-currency. I ordered 8 Asus M5A97's early last week, they are currently showing as out of stock from my distributor in nearly all locations.

As for your motherboard, a loose heatsink shouldn't cause any BSOD or any other type of glitch. That is unless you are going for a record OC or something.

You will need to move up to a 990 class board for better than PCIE x16 x4.

Most 990x boards do x8 x8, x4. These generally cost around $120 - $150.

The highest end boards, 990FX, do x16 x16 or x16 x8 x8 x4. These are usually $140 - $230. These boards generally overclock much better than the other platforms and are typically built using the highest end components. Most also come with a longer than standard warranty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #72
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Honestly seems like this guy is the way to go then. Will look into it if I can't get this board stable. Probably will just wind up buying it anyway...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Those Asrock boards are nice. I like the UEFI bios.

Side note - If you do end up purchasing that board, you will likely have to reinstall the OS. Sometimes going in and uninstalling things from device manager allows the system to boot up on a new board. Other times it simply blue screens and restarts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #74
Staff
Regular
Staff

I wouldn't even try to do a new mobo and not re-install the OS. All my stuff is saved to the platter drive anyway. Just need to reload all my games and hopefully this time Nexus Mod Manager auto reloads all the mods in the storage drive. If not... ugh... manually do it AGAIN...

But I honestly have 0 idea why the board I have is being such an asshat about overclocking. Its not even like I'm cranking it up much past anything it does on the turbo core. At 3.4 and change it'll even BSOD... Either a setting or yeah the mobo itself is bad and causing issues with the voltage. I'll run the test you linked to and see if it tells me anything.

Also debating on whether to order new RAM if I get the new mobo although the board I have now is supossed to be able to take 1866. Not sure if I trust it tho...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #75
Staff
Regular
Staff

Welp this has officially turned into an impromptu mostly rebuild except for the Thuban. Ordered the ASRock 990FX today along with an 8 gig set of Crucial DDR 1600 because its either the RAM I have or the mobo or both. Memtest/super PI say the ram is good, OCCT tests fine for hours and then the computer will randomly lock/crash when I'm not even doing anything.

So we'll see how this goes. If I'm STILL having the same issues with the new setup its either the processor or the PSU in which case I'll cry. But I think if it was either one of those I would have had more issues with this computer.

And again, thanks for all the help ISH. Pointing me in the right direction and suggesting some high end parts that will hopefully futureproof this build for another 2-3 years although this original build was SUPPOSED to keep me from having to buy another mobo/ram so we know how that goes lol. But in hindsight there were better boards out there like that Biostar at the time with the two x16 slots and apparently much better overclocking abilities than what I got. Live and learn.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

How are things going with the new board?

Living in Indiana, I took advantage of the cold weather and cracked open a window and went to see how much of an overclock I could get from my FX8350.

I ended up at 5,526 Mhz @ 4.2C.

CPU-Z Validator 4.0
Old 01-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #77
Staff
Regular
Staff

Funny you should ask, I literally just got the stupid thing in today with the new Crucial Ballistix DDR1600 ram. Of course when I use free eggsaver shipping it ships from California... fml... So I will find out tonight or tomorrow if it'll clock up. I also am starting to see new games like COD Ghosts are 64bit OS required and using more than 4 gigs of ram now so it might be time to go to 16 in the near future. My only concern is my huge heatsink fins keeping the RAM from being able to go into the slot closest to the CPU but these ram slots are a little further away than on the other board so it should be ok. We'll see.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #78
Staff
Regular
Staff

Tearing apart

And for the first time really ever it occurred to me... wtf this thing has no heatsink on the VRM... uh... GJ Gigabyte. And thats how they all were apparently confirmed via multiple vendor pics. Also the northbridge and southbridge heatsinks were both rattling and loose. Def. need to check out the wife's Gigabyte mobo this weekend.

Oh well anyway new board is dead sexy and all heatsinks were firmly attached/rock solid.

AMD Thuban 1055t 125w. Second best processor AMD ever made IMO. True 6 core, they clock to 4.0+ on air, more on liquid.

Best one would be the unlocked version of this processor (1090t) simply for ease of overclocking but performance wise they are a tie.

Done except I accidentally ordered a 1x8GB stick of RAM instead of 2x4GB. Going to fire it up with the single stick in tomorrow and bang around the new BIOS/load the OS and test the overclocking. I am on the fence about returning it or going to 16GB. New 64 bit games like the latest CoD require 6 gigs to run and 8 is optimal so... yeah probably going to go 16 gigs.

EDIT: Ordered another stick from Tiger today. Newegg is selling out of every effing thing for some reason. Also Tiger is cheaper and ships faster these days... I'm really hoping it fires up without a hitch this afternoon.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #79
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well got it to post at 4 ghz but it would error out around 10 minutes in OCCT every time. Increasing the voltage would buy me a few more minutes but really not worth it IMO. 1.5 volts is about as far as I want to push it and that's still getting errors although no more blue screens. I have a feeling this particular Thuban would need 1.525 or 1.55 volts to be stable and that would likely cause other issues.

Anyway, got it nice and stable at a very low voltage at 3.6 which is not going to lose me anything. I could probably get it stable at 3.8 or 3.9 but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. As it stands this setup is MUCH snappier and faster and all is good. Except now Chrome is acting up for some reason... I'm going to re-install it and see what happens. If not it might be time to give the firefocks another try. Although my 3dmark 11 benchmarks have not gone up AT ALL lol. I figured this might happen but benchamarks are not everything. I am also running at a single channel in RAM until my new stick comes in which might have something to do with it. I am going to try to crank the ram up a little though and see what happens. RAM is running near 1333 right now because of how the multipliers work out but I think with a little voltage bump I can jump it up to the 1700-1800 mark no problem.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #80
Staff
Regular
Staff

Cracked open the wife's computer that I built her around the same time I originally did mine. I need to pop these things open probably more than every year to clean them, I'm bad about that. Front 120mm fan was totally seized and not working, dust everywhere etc...

Vacuumed up what I could and then blew out the rest with my spiffy electric air gun. Yanked the CPU cooler off and completely cleaned it out and applied new paste. Installed my old RAM to bump her from 4gb to 8gb. New 120mm fan, and installed my old Radeon HD4850 video card.

Her rig now:

-Phenom II Dual Core Callisto @3.2ghz
-Gigabyte 8xx series MicroATX
-8 gigs Mushkin DDR1333
-ASUS Radeon HD4850 GPU
-WD Black 1TB 7200rpm drive

I'm going to look for a small 64GB SSD to put in this thing for her next week. She only uses this thing for office, internet, movies and music but its kind of turned into a half decent gaming rig to be totally honest lol.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

Any luck on getting your system stable around 4Ghz?

On your wife's system have you tried to core unlock the CPU using either ACC, Advanced clock calibration, core unlocker or CPU core control? It really depends on the bios as to what ACC is called. I had a Phenom 2 X2 550 that I unlocked and ran as a quad core at 4.1Ghz for about a year before getting a Phenom 965.

As for the 64GB SSD, I would generally stay away from them. SSD prices have dropped enough that the 120 - 128GB drives aren't overly expensive. Also, the 64GB drives generally are much older tech than the newer ones.

If you are set on a 64GB ssd, I would highly recommend the SanDisk Ultra Plus - Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (SDSSDHP-064G-G25) - PCPartPicker

The write speeds are decent for an SSD but the read speads ( 520MB/s) are great. Also, the drive is durable, at least in my experience.

If you want to go to a 120 - 128GB, I would recommend the Samsung Pro 840.
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (MZ-7PD128BW) - PCPartPicker

I have one of these in a few of my work systems and they are great. I have probably sold more than 50 of these and no issues from anyone. I think these and the Intel drives are the most reliable SSDs to date.

Either way you go, an SSD will be a huge improvement as you already know.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #82
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hers will not unlock, I established that when I first got it and was annoyed but I think I paid like $60 for it when I bought it so can't complain. She actually is saying its fast enough as is, I mean all she does is the stuff I listed and she has not had a SSD before so she doesn't know what she is missing. I still may get her one though, the system needs a fresh install regardless. There is a basic Kingston 120GB unit on NE right now for $70. I've got a 120GB Kingston HyperX in my laptop I paid $79 for on Black Friday and it is omfg fast. Mine is an ADATA 256GB and it was $160 when I bought it and it FLIES. I will probably buy that Kingston 120GB from my experience with the Kingston unit I have. I already have an adapter plate leftover from the SSD in my laptop so I don't have to worry about it not having one.

And getting that HD4850 card in the MicroATX case... lol... That is the longest video card I've ever had and I was actually amazed it fit as well as it did. Draws a pretty good amount of power but I build all my computers with a Corsair 500w PSU minimum and that's what I have in hers and its having 0 issues.

As for my rig at 4.0ghz I have not played with it a ton lately since it is rock solid at 3.6 right now but I'll see. One upgrade I am thinking of for next Black Friday is a cheap 125w MicroATX mobo for the wife's computer, putting the Thuban in there and then getting myself a new FX 8 core since this motherboard will be able to support a much faster processor but we'll see. I honestly don't see myself needing faster than my Thuban or her needing more than that dual core Phenom II for what she does.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar