Computron upgrade time! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Computron upgrade time!

Got about $400 worth of stuff for $250 on Cyber Monday. Sick and damn tired of a slow *** platter HDD and an old video card. Also my wireless keyboard/mouse combo was flaking out.

Combo was:

-Gigabyte Mobo
-AMD Phenom II Thuban 6 core @2.8ghz
-8 gigs DDR 1333
-WD 1TB 7200rpm platter drive
-Radeon 4850

New arrivals:

The SSD is actually replacing the one I had in my laptop because its bigger and I don't need a 256 for the laptop anymore (no more gaming on the road).

Old card out.

New card in.

Rats nest

I'm not a huge neat freak when I can't see the cables. As long as nothing is catching or getting pinched its all good. They're not blocking any airflow which is the most important.

New Combo:

-Gigabyte Mobo
-AMD Phenom II Thuban 6 core clocked to 4.0ghz
-8 gigs DDR1333
-ADATA 256 SSD Drive (system/games)
-WD 1TB 7200 RPM platter drive (movies/pr0n/music/pics/storage)
-Radeon 7850HD

Will give me likely another 2-possibly 3 years of gaming until I can't run at least med-high graphics on the latest games. I'll build a new PC then from scratch probably.

edit: Yes there are IDE cables in there. This computer has a floppy drive and DVD-ROM from a build I did way back in 2003 lol. Had em lying around so I figured wth.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
That thing looks sick man, my brother builds stuff like this and I know it's not easy so good job man. I'm still rocking an Asus i7 with a few upgrades from my bro.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

The i7 is a beast, might be faster than what I'm running. And thanks man, I NEVER buy a new PC except a laptop and then its a $300-$500 Acer usually. I keep recycling parts during builds and about 2-3 years into any build I can generally throw upgraded parts at it and crank up the processor. That's where I am now. Re-using the case, BD-ROM drive, power supply (corsairs last a LONG time), fans etc... I generally only have to buy:

-HDD
-GPU
-CPU
-Mobo
-RAM

Usually $600-$800 for a pretty top of the line system. People who buy $2,000+ Alienwares for gaming... no...

Anyway, I FINALLY got the thing up and screaming along. I had probably a pound of dust/crud in the case from not cleaning it for over a year. Kid and wife used it as a media PC in the finished basement. During the cleaning there must have been a hair that got stuck in one of the RAM slots because I sat there for 45 minutes thinking I somehow borked something while the system would not even post. Swapped the RAM sticks like 3 times and all of a sudden it worked and now its effing flying. Going to get all the little things installed like java/shockwave/flash and all my steam games/starcraft II and then crank this biznitch up to 4.0x6.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

60 fps in all games I play now, eff the Xbox One/PS4. A good gaming tower makes them look foolish spec wise.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
60 fps in all games I play now, eff the Xbox One/PS4. A good gaming tower makes them look foolish spec wise.
I have no idea what any of this means but,
Attached Images

ZLwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

That show was amazing. "I am vengeance, I AM THE NIGHT... I AM BATMAN!.

And Mark Hamill=best Joker ever. Yes better than Heath emo/suicidal joker.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Looks great! I'm going to wait until the hype on the R9 290s go down do I can pick up two for cheap.
SR Performance Short Throw Shifter
Mezmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Honestly two of these cards I posted cross fired together will max out anything. Hell just the one is making skyrim look like a CGI movie. I have about 50 graphical improvement mods and running enb as well tho.

I'd buy another one but my issue is my mobos second graphics card slot is only an x4 slot so not sure if it would be worth it. Especially now that they aren't $109 anymore.

Edit but in a year it probably will not be able to do it all on its own. The r9 cards are awesome but I can't justify that kind of money on a video card. Hell next cyber Monday the r9s will probably be under $200 as well lol.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Honestly two of these cards I posted cross fired together will max out anything. Hell just the one is making skyrim look like a CGI movie. I have about 50 graphical improvement mods and running enb as well tho.

I'd buy another one but my issue is my mobos second graphics card slot is only an x4 slot so not sure if it would be worth it. Especially now that they aren't $109 anymore.

Edit but in a year it probably will not be able to do it all on its own. The r9 cards are awesome but I can't justify that kind of money on a video card. Hell next cyber Monday the r9s will probably be under $200 as well lol.

Yea exactly, aren't the r9's like 700 bucks? If you do both of them that would badass
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
Yea exactly, aren't the r9's like 700 bucks? If you do both of them that would badass
People do it. There are hardcore gamers that will live in some single room apt with a **** car but their rig is like $5k just for the tower and they update it every 6 months to have the latest/greatest. $1k for a GPU setup is nothing for those guys.

Don't even get me started on the monitor setups... the card I just got can support 4 with two DVIs and two display ports. I've seen rigs that have 5 vertical 24"+ monitors wrapped around and its sick. My single 24" Asus LED monitor is more than fine lol. Maybe I'll get a second one one day, well third since my 55" HDTV in the basement is using the HDMI port and is technically the second monitor.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
People do it. There are hardcore gamers that will live in some single room apt with a **** car but their rig is like $5k just for the tower and they update it every 6 months to have the latest/greatest. $1k for a GPU setup is nothing for those guys.

Hahahaha I can picture that some jackass spending all that money, 6k you could by so many mustang parts lol!!!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Hahahaha I can picture that some jackass spending all that money, 6k you could by so many mustang parts lol!!!
And that dude into gaming would turn around and say about a car guy buying parts "I can picture some jackass spending all that money, 6k you could buy so many computer parts lol!!!".

Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And that dude into gaming would turn around and say about a car guy buying parts "I can picture some jackass spending all that money, 6k you could buy so many computer parts lol!!!".

Hahahha that's a very good point, but I think car parts are much better way of spending the money lol
Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Different strokes. I do both but I'm not a hardcore gamer. Every 4-5 years I'll spend $800-$1k on a new tower and then every cyber monday I'll upgrade it with something if it needs it. Finally hit critical mass this year when I NEEDED a SSD/better vid card and a new gaming mouse/keyboard. I still may buy another one of those video cards if the price drops a little and they become available again. Even on the x4 slot.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Speaking of triple monitors ... Do it.

Here is a shot of my 3 x 24" 1080p 120hz monitors that I use on my home system.

All that powered by a liquid cooled AMD FX8350 @ 5.1Ghz, 16GB DDR3 1866, two ssds, two 2TB HDD's in raid 0, and two R9 290x's soon to be under water.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

That system is cray cray... jeebus!

Old 12-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Holy ****!!! What about your stang? Lol
Old 12-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

I have the same speakers bt dubs. Logitech ones are the great. Although why Raid0 the two HDDs? I guess for really really fast transfers of large media files? My single 1TB HDD does just fine for movies and whatnot, I want to throw another HDD in there though, like a 2TB just for more storage and the fact that that HDD is 3 yrs old. It has been VERY lightly used though, I'd say probably has as much wear and tear as my last system's HDD after a year.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Holy ****!!! What about your stang? Lol
The Mustang is remaining stock until my MT-82 issues get sorted out. If by the time that the 15's are arriving on dealers' lots it is not resolved. I will be ridding myself of the Mustang.

Quote:
I have the same speakers bt dubs. Logitech ones are the great. Although why Raid0 the two HDDs? I guess for really really fast transfers of large media files? My single 1TB HDD does just fine for movies and whatnot, I want to throw another HDD in there though, like a 2TB just for more storage and the fact that that HDD is 3 yrs old. It has been VERY lightly used though, I'd say probably has as much wear and tear as my last system's HDD after a year.
The speakers are meh at best. They just seem to work better with most games / applications since they are analog 5.1. I have been looking to upgrade them to something a bit more high end.

As for why two HDDs in raid 0, well, I spend a lot of time on my computer. I want things done quickly. So if I am playing a game, I want faster load times, if I am loading or transferring data, I want that to happen quickly also.

Standard desktop HDD's typically are good for between 5 - 7 years. Typically if you can make it past the 1 year mark you have a good drive.

As a network administrator for several companies and a county, I need a system that can multitask. This one is very good at it. I've ran 5 remote desktop sessions while playing BF4, on Ultra @ 1080p @ 60+ fps. Just sucks that when you stop playing the game to work, you usually end up dead.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ah ok, so you NEED a rig like that lol. I find the SSD loads my games at ludicrous speed. Like... Skyrim load screens went from 30 seconds to 4 or 5 at most. I would be constantly worried about one HDD failing in a RAID 0 and taking out everything. If I ever did a RAID it would probably be a RAID 5 setup for safety but that's me being paranoid. I've had really good luck with the WD Caviar Black drives.

The Logitechs are good for me I guess, like I said I'm not that hardcore lol. Still using the onboard sound on the mobo since it supports 5.1 and has a digital out too (the orange RCA) if I ever decided to get digital speakers.

Also this older Gigabyte mobo has a second PCI Express slot for another video card to crossfire but its only an x4 not an x16 like the primary. Is it even worth it to get another one of these 7850s for in there or just run the one?

Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

A second 7850 wouldn't be bad idea if the games you play aren't performing the way you think they should.

I typically recommend selling your card and buying the highest performing single GPU you can. This will save on power consumption, heat and not all games work properly with multiple GPU's.

That said, the 7850 is a solid card and adding another later on if you feel your system isn't performing as well as you like would be a wise idea. Just make sure you have a decent enough power supply to push the system when both cards and the CPU are under full load.

I'm going to assume that the second PCIE slot is PCIE 2.x @ 4x. If so, there should be more than enough bandwidth for the GPU. Even with the fastest cards available, the performance difference of the PCIE 2.x @ 4x would between 5% - 10%. So nothing drastic.

Also, as far as the drives being in raid 0. I backup three times a week to my NAS (Network Attached Storage). It's just a crappy old computer with several HDDs that are shared over the network.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yes the second slot is a PCI 2.0 x4 with the first obviously being a x16. Power supply is a Corsair 650w. Processor is the 6 core Thuban @2.8 stock but I've clocked it up to 4.0 ghz. Might bring it down to 3.4 or 3.6 for longevity/cooling though.

I just ask if its worth it to crossfire now because I'm sure the 7850 will be discontinued at some point soon. Like I said I'm a semi-budget gamer, I got this 7850 for $139-$30 mail in rebate. Probably SHOULD have got a second lol. I run onboard everything except video so there is space for the 2nd card and the back of the case has a big 120mm fan pulling the air out, a big zalman cooler on the CPU and multiple fans pushing air in plus the PSU actually pulls air from the case and out the rear too. Its not liquid cooling but its not half shabby.

edit: eh, reading more about it, not sure if a second 7850 would be all that much more effective and not sure a 650w would support a second one anyway. Might be pushing it. I'll see if any come up used on the interwebs somewhere for $80-$100 and maybe give it a shot.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Not trying to interrupt the thread but I have a quick question. What would be a good video card to get for my setup? AMD quad core 3.8ghz 8mb cache and a ASUS m5a78l motherboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3749132955.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	549.6 KB
ID:	142119
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorF25 View Post
Not trying to interrupt the thread but I have a quick question. What would be a good video card to get for my setup? AMD quad core 3.8ghz 8mb cache and a ASUS m5a78l motherboard.

Attachment 142119
What are you wanting the system to do and what is your budget?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:56 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

One other question, from my research it says its ok but in your opinion is it ok to run 2 different brands of the same video card provided the chipset and clock speeds are all the same? Because I have a feeling this cyber monday sale was to get rid of all Newegg's stock of this particular card. Just in case I do decide to give crossfiring a shot.

I did a little digging just now and the 650w Corsair is sufficient to run two 7850s especially seeing as they have one power connector each. The damn 4850 I pulled out took TWO of them... and sounded like a blowdryer. My tower is half as noisy with that stupid thing out although it served me well enough for a few years.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
I love computers, not much knowledge though. after reading all this all I have to say is

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130311_080607.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	142120
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
NEEEEEERRRDDDSSSS!!!

Lol jk.

I tried to upgrade my computer once but its from 2002 and everythings outdated. Also my screen is from 1998. I wanted a video card but my computer didnt have enough slots for it
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
eh, reading more about it, not sure if a second 7850 would be all that much more effective and not sure a 650w would support a second one anyway. Might be pushing it. I'll see if any come up used on the interwebs somewhere for $80-$100 and maybe give it a shot.
The Corsair's are good power supplies. You should be able to run your system with a second video card and still be fine. I would estimate with the CPU overclocked and the GPUs overclocked a bit, that your system would be pulling something like 470W - 500W. Enough load to keep the power supply in it's efficiency range.

The main issue with the 7850 is most only have 1GB of ram. That can quickly be used up by Skyrim with mods or basically any newer game. Adding a second video card doesn't give you another 1GB of Vram as that memory is shared identically on both cards. Performance wise, two 7850's should perform slightly better than a single AMD 7970/R9 280X or an Nvidia GTX 680/770.

*Edit*

It's fine to run different brands of cards. I'm currently running a Gigabyte and Sapphire in my home system. In my work system, I'm running a Sapphire and an Asus. As long as they are from the same chip family (only applies to AMD) Nvidia cards need to be the same model (GTX 680 can only SLI with another 680, not a 770 or 670).

Basically with AMD as long as the first two numbers are the same, the cards will be able to crossfire. Example, 7950 and 7970 can be used. 7850 and 7870 can be used. 7750 and 7770 can but not the 7790. It gets confusing.

You can also run a 1GB 7850 clocked at 860Mhz with a 2GB 7850 clocked at 1,000 Mhz (1Ghz). However, both cards will synch with the lowest common setting. Example, in this case, both cards would be limited to 1GB of Vram, and the faster card would simply downclock itself to match the speeds of the slower card.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
What are you wanting the system to do and what is your budget?
I want to be able to do some gaming on it. Things like GTA and what not. I'm willing to drop some money if I can get a good card but I don't need anything ridiculous.
TaylorF25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
I want to be able to do some gaming on it. Things like GTA and what not. I'm willing to drop some money if I can get a good card but I don't need anything ridiculous.
Do you want lag or no?
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
GTA4 really like fast multicore CPU's, I assume GTA5 will too.

What are the specs on your current system?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The Corsair's are good power supplies. You should be able to run your system with a second video card and still be fine. I would estimate with the CPU overclocked and the GPUs overclocked a bit, that your system would be pulling something like 470W - 500W. Enough load to keep the power supply in it's efficiency range.

The main issue with the 7850 is most only have 1GB of ram. That can quickly be used up by Skyrim with mods or basically any newer game. Adding a second video card doesn't give you another 1GB of Vram as that memory is shared identically on both cards. Performance wise, two 7850's should perform slightly better than a single AMD 7970/R9 280X or an Nvidia GTX 680/770.

*Edit*

It's fine to run different brands of cards. I'm currently running a Gigabyte and Sapphire in my home system. In my work system, I'm running a Sapphire and an Asus. As long as they are from the same chip family (only applies to AMD) Nvidia cards need to be the same model (GTX 680 can only SLI with another 680, not a 770 or 670).

Basically with AMD as long as the first two numbers are the same, the cards will be able to crossfire. Example, 7950 and 7970 can be used. 7850 and 7870 can be used. 7750 and 7770 can but not the 7790. It gets confusing.

You can also run a 1GB 7850 clocked at 860Mhz with a 2GB 7850 clocked at 1,000 Mhz (1Ghz). However, both cards will synch with the lowest common setting. Example, in this case, both cards would be limited to 1GB of Vram, and the faster card would simply downclock itself to match the speeds of the slower card.
My 7850 is a 2GB, 256 bit 1000mhz core clock from Powercolor.

This one

But like I said the second one would be going in a x4 slot so I'm not sure its worth the $165 I'd be paying to get the Sapphire one. I only paid $109 for the Powercolor lol.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

The AMD video card prices have went a bit lately. Everyone is buying them and using them to mine cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Litecoin, etc). So many were bought that over the past month, all the major e-tailers (newegg, amazon, etc..) have been sold out. So they raised the prices, still sold out.

I bought my first R9 290X for $500. Now that same card, from the same place costs $635.

Give it a few months, prices will fall back to normal, then make your purchase.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Ah ok, well Tiger has them in stock right meow for $180 but I'll give it time. It isn't like I won't be able to find a good used on somewhere in 2-6 months if I can't quite get there with the single card on the games I want. Bitcoin just took a huge **** anyway when China put the kabosh on it. Kind of interested to see how that goes.

I'm just amazed at how much better this rig is running 3 years into its lifecycle than it ever has before. I will never have a computer without a SSD primary drive EVER again.

Like... I click and it does. No waiting, just doing.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

SSD's really are the best upgrade you can do.

At my computer shop, last month, we built a beast i7 system.

An Intel i7 3930k @ 4.0Ghz (6 core / 12 threads), 16GB DDR3 2133, two Asus 7970's in crossfire but only used a single 2TB HDD.

Next to it, I built a low end system.

Intel Pentium G2120 @ 3.1 (dual core), 8GB DDR3 1600, on board graphics, and a Samsung 840 Evo SSD 120GB.

I had both systems in the same exact case, with the same exact layout. I had people come over and try the systems out, every single person swore the SSD machine was magnitudes more powerful. It would cold boot in about 15 seconds. Whereas the i7 took nearly a minute (several programs set to open on startup).

Then I pull out the build sheets with the prices of each system. Nearly everyone poo'd themselves at the difference. Needless to say, I have been very busy with that aspect of the store over the last month and a half.

Until you experience the difference an SSD makes, you have no idea what you are missing out on.

Also, for any computer parts, use Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker. It checks all the major e-tailers and gives you the lowest prices on whatever computer part you are looking for.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar