Valet or Waiter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Valet or Waiter?

Hey guys (gals) looking for your opinions/advice. So currently I work at a grocery store making minimum wage and now that I'm 18 I'm looking to make some more money. My cousin is a manager at a valet service and I've also been looking at restaurants. Anybody have experience either in the valet or restaurant business? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
There is a guy on here who does valet, he posts quite a few pics of all the super nice sports cars he gets to drive. I personally have worked at a restaurant. It was HELL. Do the valet if you can, so much better.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
There is a guy on here who does valet, he posts quite a few pics of all the super nice sports cars he gets to drive. I personally have worked at a restaurant. It was HELL. Do the valet if you can, so much better.

Exactly.. I wouldn't mind driving some nice cars haha. Really? What made the restaurant business so bad?
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Dealing with the customers honestly. I am not a people pleaser at all. Thats why I actually liked washing the dishes in the back, don't have to deal with anyone. Waiters can make a lot in tips, but even then as a dishwasher i was making about $160 every 2 weeks ($80/wk), with my job right now i'm doing easier work, less hours and i'm getting about $400+ a week (not bad for being in college).
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
That's not bad at all. I'm making about $140/week take home right now. I know valet services make about $6-$8/hr plus tips.. All depends on the location and customer service.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
And its easy to drive cars.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Only thing it said was knowing how to parallel park.. Haven't done that in forever lol
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
It's easy
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Valet or Waiter?

I worked at a restaurant called bonefish grill for two years and absolutely loved it. I had tons of regulars that spoiled me and new guests who did the same. Our management was excellent and the majority of the staff I worked with was very good at what they did as well as great to hang out with. We would always go out as a crew after work and hit up bars and clubs and have a blast all the time.

Not to mention all the money I made. Regular nights I walked out with at the very least $100 cash. And that's a four or five hour shift. Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday were our busy nights and $200-$300 was pretty typical. I had a couple nights like the Sugar bowl in 2011 were I made just over $800 in three hours. Haha.

Restaurants are awesome if you get in a good one. I go back and visit as often as I can.


In addition to the great money the schedule is very flexible and you retain the ability to work doubles or triples of you need to if you're short on cash. It's just a great industry if you're a high energy and high tempo people person. If you can speak well, walk and talk at the same time, and have great multi-tasking abilities... You can thrive in a restaurant.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
acornsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 536
do the valet! super cake and you get the drive ballin cars. been doing it for nearly 5 years now and the money is GREAT where I live. last 3 days walked out with 400$ cash!
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh BKR View Post
Hey guys (gals) looking for your opinions/advice. So currently I work at a grocery store making minimum wage and now that I'm 18 I'm looking to make some more money. My cousin is a manager at a valet service and I've also been looking at restaurants. Anybody have experience either in the valet or restaurant business? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Waiter, especially in Cold A** Colorado.
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Waiter, especially in Cold A** Colorado.

Haha that's one reason it's been holding me back..

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I worked at a restaurant called bonefish grill for two years and absolutely loved it. I had tons of regulars that spoiled me and new guests who did the same. Our management was excellent and the majority of the staff I worked with was very good at what they did as well as great to hang out with. We would always go out as a crew after work and hit up bars and clubs and have a blast all the time.

Not to mention all the money I made. Regular nights I walked out with at the very least $100 cash. And that's a four or five hour shift. Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday were our busy nights and $200-$300 was pretty typical. I had a couple nights like the Sugar bowl in 2011 were I made just over $800 in three hours. Haha.

Restaurants are awesome if you get in a good one. I go back and visit as often as I can.


In addition to the great money the schedule is very flexible and you retain the ability to work doubles or triples of you need to if you're short on cash. It's just a great industry if you're a high energy and high tempo people person. If you can speak well, walk and talk at the same time, and have great multi-tasking abilities... You can thrive in a restaurant.

Ive eaten there before.. Good food (IMO)
The restaurants I've been looking at are Red Robin, The Rock (Grill/pizza) and Johnny Carinos (Italian). I know some people that also get payed very well, plus I have a year of Customer Service so that's always good

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post
do the valet! super cake and you get the drive ballin cars. been doing it for nearly 5 years now and the money is GREAT where I live. last 3 days walked out with 400$ cash!

Do you valet at a hotel, hospital or? Like I said earlier.. Wouldn't mind driving some nice cars (even though I don't get to drive it on the rode) haha.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff
 
99ford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Region: Georgia
Posts: 6,120
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Valet or Waiter?

Take the inside job for the winter then valet during the summer
__________________
Check out the Official ME gear page for site t-shirts, decals, and bottle openers: http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...2/#post1670281
99ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
acornsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 536
Quote:

Do you valet at a hotel, hospital or? Like I said earlier.. Wouldn't mind driving some nice cars (even though I don't get to drive it on the rode) haha.

I work in like an outdoor mall with 7-8 different restaurants ( we have 6 different valet stands ) and on the weekends have like 3
40-50 guys working in the park. it's called Mizner park
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular
 
Cise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 503
I work in a restaurant and make a stupid amount of money for doing a simple service, especially for being in college.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
I wish I worked at a restaurant like those. I worked at a fast paced sit down ice cream place. So many whiny parents with little screaming kids getting ice cream EVERYWHERE. One can only clean up so many sprinkles before going mad.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
rbohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tucson
Region: Arizona
Posts: 161
while i have not worked in a restaurant per say, lately anyway i did back in the mid 70s for a while though, i can tell you that the tips you make are going to depend on a few things;

1: the level of restaurant you work at. if you choose a place like the waffle house, or other low end restaurant, you are not going to make much in tips because the clientele tends to be lower income types. if you work at a four or five star restaurant you will make much better tips, but you will be expected to provide a much higher level of service as well.

2: the better the service you provide the better your tips will be.

3: the friendlier you come across as being, the better your tips will be.

i have seen servers bring down an average of as little as $50 per night in tips, to as much as $500 per night in tips. i know this because i was the one doing the accounting at the time for the tips. my advice, stay away from the valet service, too many issues you have to deal with, such as people claiming you damaged their car for instance. get a job as a server, provide top notch friendly service, and you will maximize your tips.
__________________
my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
while i have not worked in a restaurant per say, lately anyway i did back in the mid 70s for a while though, i can tell you that the tips you make are going to depend on a few things;

1: the level of restaurant you work at. if you choose a place like the waffle house, or other low end restaurant, you are not going to make much in tips because the clientele tends to be lower income types. if you work at a four or five star restaurant you will make much better tips, but you will be expected to provide a much higher level of service as well.

2: the better the service you provide the better your tips will be.

3: the friendlier you come across as being, the better your tips will be.

i have seen servers bring down an average of as little as $50 per night in tips, to as much as $500 per night in tips. i know this because i was the one doing the accounting at the time for the tips. my advice, stay away from the valet service, too many issues you have to deal with, such as people claiming you damaged their car for instance. get a job as a server, provide top notch friendly service, and you will maximize your tips.

Thanks for the info.. I didn't even think about that with the valet service, and I applied there today so I guess we'll just see how it goes?
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
xxPIKExx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 450
---------- Post added at 03:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 AM ----------

[/COLOR]It's pretty simple. Valet if you have very little personality and then you can run your *** off for $10 an hour... or go into an entry level restaurant, like a Red Robin, make about double that talking to old people and working with hot chicks.
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tpost08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 624
Restaurant depending on how well you are with people and how good of a restaurant it is. If it's a suit and tie kind of place. Tips will be better. If it's an alcohol type of place. Tips CAN be better(not always). I worked at an Applebee's and nobody really made tips. My ex ole lady worked at a well know (in our area) BBQ place and banked. And I mean banked. It's all in the restaurant. If the place sucks. Then your tips won't be great even if you are

I've never valet but. I never liked running lmao. Every one I've ever seen is running. Yes they do get to drive nice cars. All my friends worked at the casinos here in town. That being said. I would never turn my keys over at any place. Just my experience. I've seen to many if there videos.

Just a suggestion.....something I wish I would have done. (College is always great) but let's say your not motivated. Ups is putting the us postal company out of business. I could never leave my job and take a pay cut to go work for ups. But that's start out pay. People that have been working there as long as I have been at my business are making really good money. It's a latter your have to climb. But the top is pretty good. Brother in law does it and I wish I would have started out there. Plus. Ups isn't going anywhere for a long time. Always good to work for a company that will be needed as long as you need a job.

Just my $.02. Take it as a grain of salt.
Tpost08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh BKR View Post
Hey guys (gals) looking for your opinions/advice. So currently I work at a grocery store making minimum wage and now that I'm 18 I'm looking to make some more money. My cousin is a manager at a valet service and I've also been looking at restaurants. Anybody have experience either in the valet or restaurant business? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Well since no one posted it or I didn't see it, what are you wanting to do for a career? Surely these are not your career steps for life. How about college, trade school or going into the military?
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
JMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Louisville
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 262
I have a buddy who works at a higher end restaurant and he makes good money, but another buddy works with a vallet service and he makes a sh*t ton of cash off tips for a 17 year old lol. He would be sittin pretty if he didn't use 90 percent of his money on illegal goods... Lol I'm getting off track... Go vallet

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpost08 View Post
Restaurant depending on how well you are with people and how good of a restaurant it is. If it's a suit and tie kind of place. Tips will be better. If it's an alcohol type of place. Tips CAN be better(not always). I worked at an Applebee's and nobody really made tips. My ex ole lady worked at a well know (in our area) BBQ place and banked. And I mean banked. It's all in the restaurant. If the place sucks. Then your tips won't be great even if you are

I've never valet but. I never liked running lmao. Every one I've ever seen is running. Yes they do get to drive nice cars. All my friends worked at the casinos here in town. That being said. I would never turn my keys over at any place. Just my experience. I've seen to many if there videos.

Just a suggestion.....something I wish I would have done. (College is always great) but let's say your not motivated. Ups is putting the us postal company out of business. I could never leave my job and take a pay cut to go work for ups. But that's start out pay. People that have been working there as long as I have been at my business are making really good money. It's a latter your have to climb. But the top is pretty good. Brother in law does it and I wish I would have started out there. Plus. Ups isn't going anywhere for a long time. Always good to work for a company that will be needed as long as you need a job.

Just my $.02. Take it as a grain of salt.
Another thing on the UPS front, idk if they do this everywhere but in Louisville, one of their biggest if not the biggest hub in the US, they will pay for your college if you go to Louisville or even Kentucky I think
__________________
2012 Mustang V6 Performance White 6AT- Airaid CAI, Borla ATAKS, and Bama 93H Tune

JMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Well since no one posted it or I didn't see it, what are you wanting to do for a career? Surely these are not your career steps for life. How about college, trade school or going into the military?

I'm going to community college to get my EMT and Fire Science degree.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
xxPIKExx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Region: Florida
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Well since no one posted it or I didn't see it, what are you wanting to do for a career? Surely these are not your career steps for life. How about college, trade school or going into the military?
What's wrong with either for a career? I know a bunch ot $100,000 a year restaraunt guys
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx

What's wrong with either for a career? I know a bunch ot $100,000 a year restaraunt guys
I like my nights and weekends. You give both up in restaurant industry.
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:52 AM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
I like my nights and weekends. You give both up in restaurant industry.

+10000 I NEVER got a Friday or Saturday night off. Hell those were actually the only 2 days a week I worked.
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:53 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
+10000 I NEVER got a Friday or Saturday night off. Hell those were actually the only 2 days a week I worked.

At the same time of having to work those days you also typically don't work super late. If get off around 12-1am and still have the whole night. People around where I live aren't even going hard by then since they party until sunrise. So it saved me a lot of excess drinking and I would just throw a few shots of tequila and catch up pretty quick.

I have a great freaking time working seven days a week at the restaurant whole I was in college in Baton Rouge. You don't have to give up your social life at all as long as you have the fortitude to force yourself to get up in the morning hungover for classes or studying. Haha
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
DaBluedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Region: Canada
Posts: 1,996
---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I've worked restaurants lots and currently manage a upscale bar and if you have the drive for it, you can make great money in the industry. I started out at the bottom, busted my *** and immersed myself in the culture. I worked my way into some of the highest end restaurants. My advice... Get into the highest price place you can get into as long as they're busy. I worked at a place where we averaged over 400$/couple i would usually serve 9-15 tables depending on the night (very upscale, we got capped at 4 or 5 tables to ensure optimum service) and I made 22% in tip averaged over my time with this restaurant. The money was intoxicating. I made more money there in a week than I do now in a month. I miss the economy from back then. And serving thousand dollar bottles of wine. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of work and you need to be good and know your ****, but it can be insanely rewarding.
__________________
2003 Mach 1
DaBluedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Well I got a call from the Valet job today.. Gotta call him back and set up a date for the interview.
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
NewMtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Region: Indiana
Posts: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPIKExx View Post
What's wrong with either for a career? I know a bunch ot $100,000 a year restaraunt guys
Do they own the restaurant or just work there? Or would you drive a V6 or drive a Shelby 1000?
__________________
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Well.. Tomorrow's the day. Interview at 10am!
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:43 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Salinas
Region: California
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehigh BKR View Post
Well.. Tomorrow's the day. Interview at 10am!
Good luck!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:50 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
KSconvert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wichita
Region: Kansas
Posts: 424
IMO the service industry has unlimited growth potential. If you want something to get you by for a while, the valet would be awesome. My cousin was a bellhop/valet at a high-end hotel here and got to drive some sweeeeet cars at 10mph.

I've been a server and a few of my friends have ONLY worked in restaurants since they turned 16. I got stuck at Cheddar's (huge portions, good food, low prices) and my best shift was $140 on a double on Mother's Day. My friends, on the other hand, are doing infinitely better. Work your way up as a server and get behind the bar. Seriously. Bartenders at good restaurants make STUPID money. Two of my server friends moved to Ft. Collins, Co two years ago. One is a bartender and makes his rent in one weekend, and then some. He has a bachelor's in microbiology but he loves bartending.

As long term, restaurants can be a bit rough because you have ZERO BENEFITS whatsoever. You also have to deal with horrible people occasionally. But get your stuff together, get in a good restaurant and you can make big money.

Another downside is that once you wait tables, even for a week, you realize the crap that these people have to deal with. I tip no less than 20% unless the service is just awful, even instructed my server to get her tip from the bartender that screwed up my drink that she refused to fix. Hell, there have been a few times where I tipped well over 50% for excellent service.
__________________
2014 GT MT aka: Ruffian-
3.73 gears, Roush AB, BBR O/R x-pipe, JLT intake, BMR panhard bar, BMR lowers and brackets, FRPP 47# injectors, Lund E85 tune, SR springs, MGW shifter, 416rwhp/393rwtq
KSconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:16 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
ColeJohnson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ketchikan, Alaska
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 2,507
Valet or Waiter?

I dislike the fact that 90% of the time when people ask which is better? Choice A or choice B? As they are considering choice A...

Then everyone says Choice B is way better and gives personal experience and numbers and everything.. Then they choose choice A anyway.

I mean ultimately it's your choice and you have your reasons... But that really frustrates me. -.-

But congratulations either way.
__________________

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Milehigh BKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Denver
Region: Colorado
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I dislike the fact that 90% of the time when people ask which is better? Choice A or choice B? As they are considering choice A...

Then everyone says Choice B is way better and gives personal experience and numbers and everything.. Then they choose choice A anyway.

I mean ultimately it's your choice and you have your reasons... But that really frustrates me. -.-

But congratulations either way.

It's frustrates you? Are you kidding me. First of all.. That's not always the case. Choice A I had a hook up as well as choice B. I knew someone who could get me a job at both and me going for choice A now has nothing to do with what people are and aren't saying on here. You don't know my life.. Or what obstacles I have to take in consideration. My cousin with the Valet happened to get back to me first before the person in the restaurant business so I'm going for it. If it really bothers you then don't post here.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Good luck!

Thanks I appreciate it
Milehigh BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



11:39 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.