Ticket for tinted tag? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Ticket for tinted tag?

As anyone ever got ticketed for a tinted tag cover or tinted taillights?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I haven't, but know people that have. National Highway Transportation Safety Adminstration (NHTSA) regs require that tailights be visible at a certain distance. Daytime is more critical than nightime. Lights show better at night, as compared to the daytime, when tinted. Tags are a judgement call on the officer. I know ALL tag information must be visible and not covered. Not sure about tag tint covers.

I've seen illuminated brake lights that are nearly undetectable when the sun shines directly on the tinted surfaces. As far as tickets go, it's a judgement call on the citing officer's part. If he/she says they couldn't clearly see lights and read tags at the required distance, you'd probably lose a court fight and have to remove tinting.
Missouri Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ticket for tinted tag?

If you get rear ended with tinted tail lights the person that hit you has a pretty good argument to get out of being responsible. My cousin had his tinted and got rear ended at a stop sign and the person that hit him got out of paying the damages...
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post
If you get rear ended with tinted tail lights the person that hit you has a pretty good argument to get out of being responsible. My cousin had his tinted and got rear ended at a stop sign and the person that hit him got out of paying the damages...
Good point!
Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss View Post
Good point!
Thanks!
And he was driving an Audi...over 7K in damages
Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Ticket for tinted tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckers View Post

Don't forget that if you have a manual you can slow down using downshifting and engine braking just as quickly as using brakes. I see exactly what you are saying but there are many more ways to stop a car than using the brake pedal. And what if you are just sitting at a light, I never have my foot on the brake at a light if I'm on level ground, so they wouldn't see tail lights any way if they were tinted or not.

Yes it's a risk, but it's not as black and white as it seems.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:53 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Don't forget that if you have a manual you can slow down using downshifting and engine braking just as quickly as using brakes. I see exactly what you are saying but there are many more ways to stop a car than using the brake pedal. And what if you are just sitting at a light, I never have my foot on the brake at a light if I'm on level ground, so they wouldn't see tail lights any way if they were tinted or not.

Yes it's a risk, but it's not as black and white as it seems.
I understand what you are saying, but one would lose in this situation with both the law and insurance given that the taillights are illegally tinted regardless of a manual vs automatic.
Thanks for the opinion though
Old 12-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
To the tag question, my son was ticketed for having a tinted cover over the rear tag. Don't remember the fine cost though.

The police officer told him that if he was running with the cover because he thought it would hide the plate from photo inforced red light running, it would not work, as the cameras used are not affected by 90% of tinted plate covers. Those that can beat it are so dark, that any officer seeing it is going to make you remove it on the spot, or have the car impounded.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

When it comes down to the nut cuttin', tail light/brake light lenses are restricted to the color red only, according to specific federal regulation. Any other color or visual appearance is a violation.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Mine are so lightly tinted though I should be ok
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I've been pulled over twice in the last 5 years and both times each cop mentioned my tinted tag. Played dumb and told them I had tools in the trunk and could take it off right then but they just said to take it off when I got home and gave me a warning.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Mine are so lightly tinted though I should be ok
So you would rather drive around with tined tail lights, which would be probable cause for a police officer to pull you over?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
So you would rather drive around with tined tail lights, which would be probable cause for a police officer to pull you over?

Same thing with no front plates. Overly tinted windows, and Catless exhaust. All gives the police a reason to pull us over. It's not like we are doing it just to break the law, we just do it because it looks cool.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I got a ticket for my tails & a couple other things too but I was fortunate to have the chief of police sign it offf perks of workin in a gun shop! Lol BUT it is illegal and you may get a pull over.
Doubledeee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My dad was pulled over for having his headlights painted black he he just told him to remove the covers but it was painted so we just bought some new headlights, i think it depends on the cop that pulls u over
86foxbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
^^ why would he paint his headlights? Are you sure he didn't use that like spray on tint crap?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar