deal or no? Mobil 1 EP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
deal or no? Mobil 1 EP

i went to autozone today to find an air filter for my '14 V6 and i saw they were selling quarts of Mobil 1 EP 5w-20 for $3, i couldnt believe it so i took one up to the counter just to double check and yup 3 bucks so i loaded up and bought 12 quarts plus the Mobil 1 EP oil filter witch was also cheap 10.99 normally 13+ but they only had one left. im thinking of going back and getting more am i crazy? i checked the Mobil website and it says i can safely store it for up to 5 years. at this price my oil changes for 6 quarts of full synthetic with filter will come out to about 29 bucks!
deadpandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Hopefully that's everywhere cause I'm over do. I'll check my local AutoZone tomorrow
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Autozone has those deals a lot just gotta keep your eye out they usually have 5qtz jugs + oil filter for 17.99 - to 35 even some are full synthetic most of the oil is made by the same company
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I would not call it a deal. With my dealer and Ford member card I get dealer oil changes and full checks for $29-$31 with tire rotations. I put my car on the 5K plan, tire ROT and Oil plus all checks.

What extra value besides the pleasure of doing it yourself do you get for saving $5 to $10? Is this Mobile oil so much better than factory when you change it every 5K? Yes I know lots of folks like Synthetics, but in my past few decades unless your started the engine off with that oil type, your gaskets and seals paid you the price later on around 79-99k leaking all over, but today engine tech is that much better than my past.

Yes I saw the commercial where they put two Dodges on a Dyno at WOT for 5 days till one oil or the other blew the motor up, but unless I google it I can't remember which one blew? [Castrol or Mobile] So that makes the Ad fail in my opinion.

All my cars and trucks I bought new I had oil changed at the dealer at their promotional prices and they ran great selling and looking close to new at 89-145K miles on them 8-10 years later also thanks to TST paint treatments and cleanings, never using automatic car washes.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

my ford dealer charges $99 for full synthetic with all that other stuff checking fluids, tire rotation, etc. when i saw i that i decided it was better if i just did it myself. and as far as why Mobil 1, i wanted an oil from a top tier company and not having to change the oil every 3-5k miles sounds great to me.

the only thing i plan on having the dealer change out are the transmission and diff oils when the time comes.

for pete's sake they want $140 to replace the anti-freeze lol a whole what? $13 for the antifreeze and 10-15 mins?
deadpandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpandan View Post
my ford dealer charges $99 for full synthetic with all that other stuff checking fluids, tire rotation, etc. when i saw i that i decided it was better if i just did it myself. and as far as why Mobil 1, i wanted an oil from a top tier company and not having to change the oil every 3-5k miles sounds great to me.
Just what are you going to gain with the synthetic oil besides claimed extra long times between oil changes? On regular ford oil the factory says you can get up to 10K. I would never do that even with Synthetics. On GM engines I do about 3K between changes, they have problems in my 5.3 truck engines already at 50K. Had pan gaskets replaced, still leaks and burns; stupid AFM.

With the Deep sump on the 3.7 Cyclone, I do 5K which is half of what Ford says you can do on Stock Ford oil seems to be working well based on the sample I get from the changes; and just perfect for ROT of the tires at the same time.

Unless advertizing claims can be proven, I don't see it a deal. Fake oil as it sometimes is called is looked down on by a group that says DYNO oil from Dinosaurs is better; who is right? Its all in the money trails. It's marketing, opinion, and faqs from corporate scientists that used to say smoking did not cause cancer

Edit: you warranty claims are more valid using stock ford DYNO oil at the Dealer for $29 than changing it yourself. Top Tier oil is like Top Tier Gas, who has it and who can prove it? (Check into gasoline distribution and that set of ad scams) Engine claims for failed rings or scored cylinder walls (like Chevy AFM) can't be dismissed if you were doing Dealer oil changes.
The 5.3L AFM problem is about the only engine problem I have seen that oil changes done properly can't prevent (bad design). Good designed engines, you keep changing oil and filters and they run good. Bad designed engines you make sure you do everything the factory says you should do so they cant deny warranty.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar