**** black ice! **** it right in the ***! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
**** black ice! **** it right in the ***!

Going 35mph in a 50 zone because I consider myself not stupid and its freezing precipitation warnings in a truck with automatic 4wd turned on, leaving what had to have been at least 2 bus lengths between me and the guy in front of me. Roads LOOKED fine but you know how that is and why I was going slow.

Welp, hit the brakes because the dude in front of me did and... weeee... sliding... ok ABS kicks in, I pump the brakes still nothing. "Ohshi"... ok now the rear is starting to kick out (in a 7,000+lb SUV), let off the brakes straighten it back out and try again, now I've got probably 3 or 4 car lengths left to stop. Nope... ok time to go offroad or hit this guy in front of me. Check my mirror and the guy following me much closer that I was the guy in front of me is sliding too... not good.

So off the road I go, thankfully its shallow and come to a stop probably about 15 feet from a building dude behind me keeps skidding but manages to not hit anyone by moving onto the shoulder. So crawl into work a half hour late going 15-20mph the whole way, wrecks everywhere yeah... Eff this noise. And it isn't even that "polar vortex" 0 degrees F out anymore its like 30 right meow.

/rant
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
Sad Panda
Staff

Region: Texas
don't you love close calls? ive rearended a guy when I had my 08 ranger because of abs
(I feel that was the reason) im just not a fan of abs
98 UA Mustang GT - sold
10 CI Mustang GT - slow
silverskoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Had an experience with black ice this morning. Roads looked clean, all was well, I was in 6th gear doing 50 MPH when the rear end broke traction. Now, 50 MPH in a 3.7, 6spd with 2.73 gears... that isn't putting down much power at all.

Needless to say, I slowed down a bit. For the next few miles, I saw several cars either on the side of the road, in ditches, fields or yards.

Black ice is a MFr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I had a big problem with that in my old MR2. A car that weighs 2300lbs soaking wet, a wheelbase the size of a child, and slick roads don't mix. If the rear end stepped out in that thing and I wasn't paying attention, I was going for a ride. Thankfully it only happened once and I was both saved and screwed by a snow drift. Snow packed my wheels so bad that I was just burning through the clutch trying to back out of it, and the front was so packed that I couldn't choose where I went. But it kept me from going about 6ft down into the ditch behind it.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Nice video link .... K&P are awesome.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Going 35mph in a 50 zone because I consider myself not stupid and its freezing precipitation warnings in a truck with automatic 4wd turned on, leaving what had to have been at least 2 bus lengths between me and the guy in front of me. Roads LOOKED fine but you know how that is and why I was going slow.

Welp, hit the brakes because the dude in front of me did and... weeee... sliding... ok ABS kicks in, I pump the brakes still nothing. "Ohshi"... ok now the rear is starting to kick out (in a 7,000+lb SUV), let off the brakes straighten it back out and try again, now I've got probably 3 or 4 car lengths left to stop. Nope... ok time to go offroad or hit this guy in front of me. Check my mirror and the guy following me much closer that I was the guy in front of me is sliding too... not good.

So off the road I go, thankfully its shallow and come to a stop probably about 15 feet from a building dude behind me keeps skidding but manages to not hit anyone by moving onto the shoulder. So crawl into work a half hour late going 15-20mph the whole way, wrecks everywhere yeah... Eff this noise. And it isn't even that "polar vortex" 0 degrees F out anymore its like 30 right meow.

/rant
Not wanting to busting your chops (Cr*p I Lied) but did you downshift at all? Glad you weren't hurt.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Not wanting to busting your chops (Cr*p I Lied) but did you downshift at all? Glad you weren't hurt.
As I said in the original post, in a truck with auto 4wd turned on. So no lol. 7,000lb Expedition sliding is NOT a good thing... If I was in my Mustang with 555R tires out back in icy conditions I would have deserved to be in a wreck...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Damn dude glad everything ended up safe! Had a similar incident in my short bed 87 ford pickup. Luckily only thing I took out was a mailbox.

On a side note when you mentioned that dude in the pickup putting bus lengths on you is just plain ignorant on his part. Some people with 4 wheel drive feel invincible with it in that type of weather and it ends up biting them in the ***.
jhherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhherndon View Post
Damn dude glad everything ended up safe! Had a similar incident in my short bed 87 ford pickup. Luckily only thing I took out was a mailbox.

On a side note when you mentioned that dude in the pickup putting bus lengths on you is just plain ignorant on his part. Some people with 4 wheel drive feel invincible with it in that type of weather and it ends up biting them in the ***.
Yeah well I was going pretty slow but even at 30mph the back end was wanting to break loose. Threw it in 4H and it helped a little but still. On the news tonight there was all sorts of **** on wrecks and injuries from this crap. I mean the road literally looked fine and it was fine when I left my house. Freezing rain happened 20 minutes into my 40 minute commute and not fun. I'm just glad I was on a stretch of road where I had the option to go onto the grass and not into the woods or a ditch or a building. I did skid to a stop about 20 ft in front of a church tho...

Old 01-11-2014, 03:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Nothing like an unexpected "white knuckle" ride in the morning to get the blood flowing, huh Scotty?
Sweet Jesus!?!!
Im glad that it turned out good...
My experience is that ABS SUCKS period. On ice, it can be just flat out DANGEROUS!
On the truck chassis anyways...
I was shocked when I changed from a truck that was pre ABS. It was difficult for me to comprehend how the manufacturers felt that the bad "ice manners" of ABS could ever be acceptable.
I guess that it's like training monkeys though, now I'm always taking into consideration. the braking limitations of the crap ABS when on slippery surfaces, hence, I have to slow down, so, in a way, the ABS IS doing it's job...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah I effing HATE the feeling of ABS on ice. Feels like I have air in the brake lines... I'm deleting that crap in my Mustang although I never plan to drive it on ice or potential icing conditions.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
i hate black ice, it will KILL you given the chance. i also have had run ins with black ice, fortunately i recognized it and took appropriate measures to minimize any issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar