WHATS YOUR JOB - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 05:49 PM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Haha on paper...$14.38/hr. Factoring in monthly bonuses, profit sharing, overtime, etc...it's a fair bit more than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #142
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I'm military so I'd have to do some complicated maths and like... numbers... half my income is non taxable housing/subsistance allowances so its more than it is on paper. I also pay nothing for full coverage health insurance with no deductibles so factor in that too. I think I calculated it out once that after taxes I am near $30/hr as an E-5. I will make substantially more when I hit E-6, like $1k per month more which might not be a lot for some on here but it is for me. I find out in June if I made it, I feel pretty good about it but if I don't make it there is always next year.

But take that $30/hr and then add on whatever I'd pay in health insurance premimums and tax on half that and there you go?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
I just got hired with a local towing company for $22 an hour. over time after 8 hours so time and a half and double time after 40 hours per week.. They allow me to take the truck home and use it for personal as well with there fuel card obviously because if I get a call I have to go and they will pay 70% of my cell phone bill since I use it for my job.
After receiving $874 bi weekly for the past 8 months since I was laid off and between jobs, this $22 an hour makes me feel like I am doing good.. Just hope the job works out, only on day 2 haha
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #144
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
I just got hired with a local towing company for $22 an hour. over time after 8 hours so time and a half and double time after 40 hours per week.. They allow me to take the truck home and use it for personal as well with there fuel card obviously because if I get a call I have to go and they will pay 70% of my cell phone bill since I use it for my job.
After receiving $874 bi weekly for the past 8 months since I was laid off and between jobs, this $22 an hour makes me feel like I am doing good.. Just hope the job works out, only on day 2 haha
Hey you are doing better than a lot of ppl in this economy. $22/hour is not bad at all if you can log 50-60 hours a week with overtime and 70% of a cell phone bill can be $80-$100/mo if you are on a multi line plan. Plus no paying for gas or anything is huge. My father in law gets a similar salary at Honda but he usually logs 70-90 hours of shop time per week and can get near six figures per year if he keeps that average.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Ah that's rough. I went through two semesters and didn't earn any credits due to dropping out for various reasons. Got with this company when I was 21 (25 on the 14th now) and make as much as my friend that spent 6 years in college and is now an auditor for a major accounting firm in town. The downside to mine is that I need to move to a different division in order to move up, or just be patient. We're maxed out at 38 stores here, as opposed to other cities that have over 100 and counting. Because they treat us so well, and most management is fairly young, they have no motivation to move up. And the ones that are higher up don't want to leave. So there's a huge stalemate causing people to move out of state in order to be promoted.
Yeah my buddy who got his masters and owes a butt-load of money in student loans couldn't find a job. So I referred him where I work, and now he workes there too. But, he's still working at a much lower position than me....

And I'm salary, so Yeah........lol

No overtime pay here!

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #146
Staff
Regular
Staff

I love being salary honestly. This year we had I think 4-5 days where the base commander closed the base to non-essential personnel (I usually am essential but flying a desk for this current job I am not) due to weather and I did not have to worry about losing pay for those days.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Yeah my buddy who got his masters and owes a butt-load of money in student loans couldn't find a job. So I referred him where I work, and now he workes there too. But, he's still working at a much lower position than me....

And I'm salary, so Yeah........lol

No overtime pay here!
Salary has its ups and downs. My buddy is salary. He works his butt off from about December to May, maybe 60 hours a week, but the rest of the year he works 30-40 and almost always leaves early on Fridays, lol. I'm scheduled at least 46 hours a week no matter what, sometimes 48 depending on my schedule, but never more. The worst part is that I don't get a Monday-Friday schedule until I make "1st assistant" or "store manager" position, which right now I'm two positions below.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #148
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Salary has its ups and downs. My buddy is salary. He works his butt off from about December to May, maybe 60 hours a week, but the rest of the year he works 30-40 and almost always leaves early on Fridays, lol. I'm scheduled at least 46 hours a week no matter what, sometimes 48 depending on my schedule, but never more. The worst part is that I don't get a Monday-Friday schedule until I make "1st assistant" or "store manager" position, which right now I'm two positions below.
I can honestly say in my 10+ years in the military I've been M-F with weekends/holidays off for maybe 3 total years in there. For the first 3 years I was lucky to even get one weekend day. My first 3 years we were on a 4-3, 12 hour schedule. I was on F/S/S/M and off T/W/T lol. My last year I finally got the option for one weekend day so I took S/M/T off so I'd get Saturday night to party, Sunday night to party, monday to be hungover and tuesday to finish detoxing lol.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I can honestly say in my 10+ years in the military I've been M-F with weekends/holidays off for maybe 3 total years in there. For the first 3 years I was lucky to even get one weekend day. My first 3 years we were on a 4-3, 12 hour schedule. I was on F/S/S/M and off T/W/T lol. My last year I finally got the option for one weekend day so I took S/M/T off so I'd get Saturday night to party, Sunday night to party, monday to be hungover and tuesday to finish detoxing lol.
Haha I've never had weekends off and I've been here for 3.5 years. I have W/T off. My old schedule I got off Friday at 11pm and didn't have to be back until 1pm Saturday. There were quite a few hungover Saturday shifts, lol. It sucks being in your early-mid 20s and having little to no social life.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #150
Staff
Regular
Staff

Oh, I had a social life. I actually had the time of my life from 23-25 and then I got married... lol. Its all good.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I used to work 7 days a week, between two jobs. But once I got a good position, I quit the second job and gained some sanity back! Lol

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #152
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
$22/hr to tow cars around? Jeez. Easy money.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psikosocial View Post
I look up to people like you. While I'm not going to lie and say I'm poor, I actually come from a higher middle class family I think. However I'm the oldest of 5 children of my parents(2 being children under the age of 5) so that means that money gets split down a lot. I've always wanted to do college and I have half decent grades and scores, but where my family does make a decent income I'd never receive financial aid. Plus they flat out told me they weren't going to be able to help with college. So I looked for other options and joined the National Guard my senior year and it looks like that should provide me with my way to college. I leave for basic in June and hopefully when I come back I'll be on my way to WKU

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'm happy to hear my story is one you could look up to!

Interestingly enough, I'm the youngest of five so I understand completely what you mean in terms of money being divided up. Every year we were given a $25 budget for our birthday and Christmas shopping. As I grew up I just took the cash and saved it.

Good for you for taking action and directing your life in the manner you feel is best! I have old classmates that were in our situations, i.e college was too expensive, and so instead of seeking alternate routes they just shut down and stagnated. One of them still works the same job we had when we were in high school. At that time minimum wage was just bumped to $7.25 and the company policy is a strict .10/year raise regardless of performance. Sadly, that means she might be making close to $8/hr. In high school, that's great, not so much when you factor in bills and want to start a family.

I come from a strong military family and so I have the utmost respect for all the branches. So I tip my hat to you and thank you for the service you are about to do for our country and hope that it helps you attain your goal of attending WKU.
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #154
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCopp View Post
$22/hr to tow cars around? Jeez. Easy money.

lol basically.. I have my trucking licence but don't want to do long haul and cant really find anything local..
I will say backing a car up rather then a trailer is a bit different..
the smaller the vehicle the more uhh play there is... was sketchy first few times but I am getting the hang of it now..
Old 04-05-2014, 11:01 PM   #155
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I own a computer repair store.

I charge $75 an hour for networking related issues and $55 an hour for consumer level stuff (Virus, malware removal, etc).

This week I worked 85 hours..

The last few weeks have been busier than normal with the new local government contracts, network audits and replacing outdated XP systems.

I pay myself $600 a week as some weeks are crazy busy, others are dead.

I pay out of pocket for insurance and retirement. Also have a few employees that make a decent wage.

If I could leave it for a normal job, I would. I applied for air traffic control with the FAA as one of my friends does that and does damn good for himself.

*Edit*
It sounds like I make beaucoup bucks, I really don't. Some months can be crazy (like this month) some months are nearly dead. I have done more these last 5 weeks than I did in 3 entire months last year. So it's very hit or miss.

This year however, I have already beat what I did last year in 7 months, so things are looking good.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
I applied for air traffic control with the FAA as one of my friends does that and does damn good for himself.

I remember hearing years ago that there is a high suicide rate in that occupation.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:22 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I own a computer repair store.

I charge $75 an hour for networking related issues and $55 an hour for consumer level stuff (Virus, malware removal, etc).

This week I worked 85 hours..

The last few weeks have been busier than normal with the new local government contracts, network audits and replacing outdated XP systems.

I pay myself $600 a week as some weeks are crazy busy, others are dead.

I pay out of pocket for insurance and retirement. Also have a few employees that make a decent wage.

If I could leave it for a normal job, I would. I applied for air traffic control with the FAA as one of my friends does that and does damn good for himself.

*Edit*
It sounds like I make beaucoup bucks, I really don't. Some months can be crazy (like this month) some months are nearly dead. I have done more these last 5 weeks than I did in 3 entire months last year. So it's very hit or miss.

This year however, I have already beat what I did last year in 7 months, so things are looking good.
Got to love that aspect of owning a business.

For XP no longer receiving security patches, that actually should be a good thing for you for the next 6-12 months I wold guess. I know for a fact a ton of banks still use XP, US Bank being one of them and they aren't exactly small!
007Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:15 AM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I remember hearing years ago that there is a high suicide rate in that occupation.
There is still. Not sure why. Dentists are I think the current #1 on that list. My friend is fully qualified and pulls down $135,000 a year. He gets like 1 month paid vacation, 2 week sick days, amazing insurance, awesome retirement and from how he and his co-workers describe it, a pretty cake job that you actually only work maybe 5 hours a month.

Just for peace of mind and a normal schedule I would be down for that. The pay scale doesn't hurt either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Stang View Post
Got to love that aspect of owning a business.

For XP no longer receiving security patches, that actually should be a good thing for you for the next 6-12 months I wold guess. I know for a fact a ton of banks still use XP, US Bank being one of them and they aren't exactly small!
It's amazing the level of unpreparedness and just general lack of knowledge that businesses have when it comes to IT. From large corporations to small mom and pop shops running their businesses on Pentium 3 era systems running XP with no backups whatsoever. It's just scary.

The XP thing should keep me busy for the remainder of the year. Hopefully things slow down a little. Enough for me to get away for a week or so. That all really depends on the summer we have as I also manage my family's pool and spa business.

I work too much.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:20 AM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
There is still. Not sure why. Dentists are I think the current #1 on that list. My friend is fully qualified and pulls down $135,000 a year. He gets like 1 month paid vacation, 2 week sick days, amazing insurance, awesome retirement and from how he and his co-workers describe it, a pretty cake job that you actually only work maybe 5 hours a month.

Just for peace of mind and a normal schedule I would be down for that. The pay scale doesn't hurt either.

It's amazing the level of unpreparedness and just general lack of knowledge that businesses have when it comes to IT. From large corporations to small mom and pop shops running their businesses on Pentium 3 era systems running XP with no backups whatsoever. It's just scary.

The XP thing should keep me busy for the remainder of the year. Hopefully things slow down a little. Enough for me to get away for a week or so. That all really depends on the summer we have as I also manage my family's pool and spa business.

I work too much.

We have a family friend that lives out of state who, I think, retired in his 40s as an air traffic controller. Not bad.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:36 AM   #160
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

I work too much.
Gah, comptuers... EVIL! I just passed A+ and got certs and now am waiting on my Remedy ticket to go through to give me elevated rights on our DoD systems. What does this mean? It means when comm pushes a Java update that royally ****s everything because they push the wrong one or 32 bit for a 64 bit system (or vice versa) or somehow manage to erase DBSign software from our commander's computer etc... I can just go in and install the right stuff myself vs having to put in a help ticket so someone at comm with elevated rights can do it for me.

Also I'll be able to put Chrome on my work computer which is always a plus. IE sucks a gigantic bag of crank.

edit: You'd also be amazed at some of the ancient IT the military uses and just how damn rickety our IT infrastructure is. Most comm squadrons including ours are worthless, at least in my experience. I equate a military installation IT network to the cardio system of a 45 year old male who eats McDonalds every day, does no exercise but its ok because he orders a Diet Coke with his meals instead of regular. Yeah...

Old 04-06-2014, 01:39 AM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

^ English motherfuker .. do you speak it

facebook, youtube... forums.. that's the extent of my computer knowledge lol good for you guys
Old 04-06-2014, 02:20 AM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Gah, comptuers... EVIL! I just passed A+ and got certs and now am waiting on my Remedy ticket to go through to give me elevated rights on our DoD systems. What does this mean? It means when comm pushes a Java update that royally ****s everything because they push the wrong one or 32 bit for a 64 bit system (or vice versa) or somehow manage to erase DBSign software from our commander's computer etc... I can just go in and install the right stuff myself vs having to put in a help ticket so someone at comm with elevated rights can do it for me.

Also I'll be able to put Chrome on my work computer which is always a plus. IE sucks a gigantic bag of crank.

edit: You'd also be amazed at some of the ancient IT the military uses and just how damn rickety our IT infrastructure is. Most comm squadrons including ours are worthless, at least in my experience. I equate a military installation IT network to the cardio system of a 45 year old male who eats McDonalds every day, does no exercise but its ok because he orders a Diet Coke with his meals instead of regular. Yeah...
Congrats on getting through the Comptia A+ so you can install Chrome on your own work computer. It was certainly worth it.

Chrome plus adblock, flashblock and adblock for youtube is the best.

That got me thinking on when I took the A+, I kept getting asked about the El Torito standard on optical drives. I was like WTF is El Torito, I'm not ordering mexican food. I asked one of guys I took the class with, he replied "Small bull" which of course was no help at all. I never once found anything to do with that stupid El Torito standard in my A+ books. I asked everyone in my class, my instructors, etc, nobody had ever heard of it. That was the only question I got wrong on the entire test.

If anyone is interested..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Torito_(CD-ROM_standard)

Now onward to the Comptia Network+, Security+, MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional), MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer), ACMT (Apple Certified Macintosh Technician), CCNSP (Cyberoam Certified Network & Security Professional) and I'm sure there are a few others.

After you get those, you can come work for me so I can retire at 30.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

Im a ford technician with all my certifications $21 hr. Turn an average of 50-70 hours a week depending on time of the year plus bonus every week

Wish it was more but it pays the bills
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
WHATS YOUR JOB

Or find ways to flat rate warranty. It happens all the time.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:17 AM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3ARH3AD View Post
Im a ford technician with all my certifications $21 hr. Turn an average of 50-70 hours a week depending on time of the year plus bonus every week

Wish it was more but it pays the bills

$21 that's all? what do you guys charge for labour rate?
You work at a ford dealership?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 AM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I dont get paid hourly
I get paid weekly a flat amount
I work monday through sunday from january until may i get $700 a week
Then i just work monday through friday the rest of the year and get $500 a week the rest of the year with one week off paid
Mostly because i go to college as well
Lets take in consideration im still 19 years young lol
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

Not bad money Mark
Old 04-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
$21 that's all? what do you guys charge for labour rate?
You work at a ford dealership?
Lol
This was several years ago, but the last time that I had to pay the hourly labor rate at a Ford dealership it was $150. per hour.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

Our labor rate an hour is $150 and yes i work at a ford dealership in sc, the owners r cheap a few guys have been there for forever and make around 25 but thats what most of the places r payin techs around my area
Old 04-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

Im meant labor rate is $100 an hour was reading the op post above sry
Old 04-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #171
Registered Member
Regular

Though that's not bad money, might be more for you elsewhere brother
Old 04-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

Yea not unless i leave the area i live in in general and go to Charlotte nc those guys make around $25-29ish

Im flate rate get paid every friday, when i have a good check i still pull 1600ish b4 taxes and benefits are taken out
Old 04-07-2014, 06:08 AM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Mark-ash u live in cali right? Im complete opposite side of us everyone is cheap out here lol
Old 04-07-2014, 07:08 AM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

Yea. U still doing well
Old 04-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3ARH3AD View Post
Mark-ash u live in cali right? Im complete opposite side of us everyone is cheap out here lol

Yeah i live in cali lol
Technically for the hours i work a day for the 7 days im getting paid really cheaply
I go in at 8:30 and get out on 7:00 on slow days but on strong days i end up leaving at 1 or 2 in the morning

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds442111 View Post
Not bad money Mark

Yeah its not bad
mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar