Might have to sell my baby - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Might have to sell my baby

Due to both of these polar vortexes, and living in Michigan, my mustang isn't going to be a reliable car for where I live. I've saved some money and have been looking at trucks. I found an 06 F150 Fx4 with 113xxx for $14,900. I'm going to test drive it later. It looks nice, but it doesn't have a warranty and the dealer said the front end is loose. It could just be tie rods but I don't want to get screwed. What do you guys think?
Bgr8609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Man where in Michigan do you live... I live in Toronto and Windsor rite across the boarder from Detroit. I often drive threw Michigan to Sault Ste Marie Ontario. Border town with Sault Ste Marie Michigan.. I drive a 2000 Mustang GT with summer tires lol shes reliable man. Don't get a truck unless you have a snowmachine or dirtbike you need to haul around. Just buy some nice winter tires, throw some sand bags in the trunk... you will be happy in a couple months when the snow starts to leave
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Oh never mind is a v6 ... yah sell it
KraftDinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Right, I love my v6, but my mother had been freaking out. I want to get another mustang, but I need a relable truck or jeep with 4x4 while I finish college/ start my career. The mustang can come after I'm settled. Ive already started an account for one haha. So I'm pretty set on selling, but I'm worried about the front end? Can I just drive it to a mechanic shop and ask them to look it over without it costing?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgr8609 View Post
Due to both of these polar vortexes, and living in Michigan, my mustang isn't going to be a reliable car for where I live. I've saved some money and have been looking at trucks. I found an 06 F150 Fx4 with 113xxx for $14,900. I'm going to test drive it later. It looks nice, but it doesn't have a warranty and the dealer said the front end is loose. It could just be tie rods but I don't want to get screwed. What do you guys think?
I'm guessing you are going to take quite the hit on gas with that truck compared to your car. Keep things like that in mind when looking for another vehicle.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I have been looking at mpg, but my car as it is has been a lemon for mpg, and I only get 14-15 city driving anyway and 18 on the highway. I'm not too worried, because I do have enough means to not worry about gas and bills.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

Get a raptor!

Or get a subaru/Evo and have awd for snow and you can still do your mods and fast driving
C_Dailey95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraftDinner View Post
Nice. That's like you asking a simple question and me telling you to sell your car because its 14 years old and has considerably less power than a modern v6
xxPIKExx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Sounds like you have a good plan OP. Hope you get back in a mustang soon! Check the frame/chassis of the truck for rust and damage. And look at the balljoints along with the tie rods. When you have the front jacked up if you can make the wheels tilt in toward the truck and out away from the truck then you have a problem. Not a super expensive one but definitely a good negotiating point.

If I were in your shoes(and I was like five years ago when I was in college) I would get either a small truck or a Tahoe or Suburban. I opted for a Tahoe and absolutely loved it. When I can afford a tow rig I'm probably getting one again.

Hope it all works out for you bro and don't be a stranger to the forums!

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys, the truck had too much rust on the frame, and it looked a little bent so I'm not touching it lol I did try a Dodge Nitro 4x4, and I've got to say. I really liked it. Only wanted 10,900 for it with 111xxx no rust, or anything. Drove great. Only problem was he only wanted to give me 2,500 for my car, I still owe 5500 on it. :/
Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I vote Allweather tires and Sand/Cat-litter bags!.. I live just "down the road" from you (Lansing)!.. My '04 GT has been my DD sense 2007!.. Lol. As for selling your ride, only way your going to get much more then what you were offered is if you sell it Private Party!.. But if you still owe about 5,500 for on your car!.. You just might be out of luck, because that's about how much a New Edge GT is going for around here!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
To answer your question on the F150 I would run away the cost is to high and it is starting out with a problem. I just did a fast look in Autotrader.com and found a a few of them like this in my area Cleveland.

AutoTrader.com[FORD[F150PICKUP[F150PICKUP%257CFX4]][]]&listingId=363122493&Log=0

If the selling dealer is telling you the front end is loose then it must be bad enough for them not to fix it to make a few extra dollars on the sale. If you have the cash flow use the money as a down payment and get a 2014 FX4 on a lease. Anyway look around there are some really good truck deals out there.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I just don't see the value in used cars/trucks now. After the cash for clunkers deal used car pricing went insane. I would run from that f150. 15 grand for a truck with over a 100k is not a good investment. I would look at new base model suv's, base awd cars or base trucks. A base subaru impreza starts at 18k, is awd, gets insane gas mileage and is reliable: Subaru Impreza | The New 2014 Impreza Hatchback Sedan If you saved 15k, I would put 20% down finance the rest to build credit and pay of early after 24 months. This would maximize your credit score, allow you to have a decent trade in after college, and keep repair bills minimal.

To give you an example:
I was looking at '13 v6 mustangs to by used with under 20k miles. Every car I looked at that wasn't an ex rental car was around 16-18k depending on options. Not bad right?

WRONG!

I did more digging. Ford was having a 3k cash rebate deal, in addition to that the dealers were discounting '14's heavily since the 15's are coming out. I got a brand new (8 miles) 2014 V6 coupe for 20k OTD, that's including Connecticut's insane 6.35% tax rate (which they tax the rebate as well). So for 2k more I got a BRAND NEW car. You just have to look, be open and flexible on options, and purchase at the right time. Best of luck in your search.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
No need to be a jerk. My 6'er would smoke you so just keep those kinda comments to yourself. A modern stock v6 will beat a stock 2000 gt any day.
Chuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:17 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky

Quote:

I know this isn't what this thread is about, but I think it's funny that people look down on the V6 so much and are all about the V8 because that's a pure mustang and the only way a mustang should be. When if you want to really get into what makes up a "pure" mustang then you better be selling your V8 because the very FIRST mustang (serial # 0000000001) was a V6. That meaning you shouldn't look down on the purest engine in a mustang. Don't get me wrong I love the v8, my parents have a cobra and most V6s can't out drive them or sound as good, but the V6 is a great car and still has plenty of get up and go and might I add is the original engine in the mustang.

2007 V6 Mustang (manual), Hurst/FR short throw, MAC dual exhaust, custom H-pipe, chin spoiler, GT front bumper, billet aluminum grill, GT500 rear bumper, GT500 wing, FR windshield banner, FR strut tower brace, LED interior lights, sequential taillights, FR side markers, slotted and drilled brakes, 93 Cobra teal painted (and cleared) stripes, etc.
Aventador97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador97 View Post
I know this isn't what this thread is about, but I think it's funny that people look down on the V6 so much and are all about the V8 because that's a pure mustang and the only way a mustang should be. When if you want to really get into what makes up a "pure" mustang then you better be selling your V8 because the very FIRST mustang (serial # 0000000001) was a V6. That meaning you shouldn't look down on the purest engine in a mustang. Don't get me wrong I love the v8, my parents have a cobra and most V6s can't out drive them or sound as good, but the V6 is a great car and still has plenty of get up and go and might I add is the original engine in the mustang.

People like that are the ones that say an "automatic isn't a real mustang" even though it's still a v8. Some people are just ignorant as **** bro

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
People like that are the ones that say an "automatic isn't a real mustang" even though it's still a v8. Some people are just ignorant as **** bro

I'm a die hard stick shift guy, I almost always want to have three pedals, but I realize everyone is not like me and that some people don't enjoy stick or have other reasons for an auto. If I commuted to a large city with a ton of traffic everyday I would have an automatic too. Paddle shifters can be a blast as well. Like what I was saying above about the engine, the very first mustang had an auto transmission as well. Like I said I'm die hard stick, but a mustang is a mustang and everyone likes different things, so no need to look down at other people ya know!

2007 V6 Mustang (manual), Hurst/FR short throw, MAC dual exhaust, custom H-pipe, chin spoiler, GT front bumper, billet aluminum grill, GT500 rear bumper, GT500 wing, FR windshield banner, FR strut tower brace, LED interior lights, sequential taillights, FR side markers, slotted and drilled brakes, 93 Cobra teal painted (and cleared) stripes, etc.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:11 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I agree with you up to one little point. I am pretty sure the first Mustang had a 200 Straight 6 not a V6.

I have a 2013 GT 500 and when I rent cars I always try to get a Mustang the last three I had where automatics with the V6 in it. I have to say I really liked the way it handled and could see myself buying one for a DD with out a problem. It had plenty of power in the mountains in WA. and in traffic it was nice not to have to step on a clutch.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
I agree with you up to one little point. I am pretty sure the first Mustang had a 200 Straight 6 not a V6.

II have a 2013 GT 500 and when I rent cars I always try to get a Mustang the last three I had where automatics with the V6 in it. I have to say I really liked the way it handled and could see myself buying one for a DD with out a problem. It had plenty of power in the mountains in WA. and in traffic it was nice not to have to step on a clutch.

Oh really, I didn't know it was a straight 6, I guess I have to amend my argument to "six cylinder". I agree with you, as a daily driver with lots of traffic auto is the way to go, but in my opinion if you live in a less busy area or have the stang as a toy it has to have three pedals for me. Like I said above there is nothing wrong with autos though. The mustang has always been a car that is great because you get do virtually anything to it and make it an expression of yourself which is what is so appealing about the car.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Quote:
Oh really, I didn't know it was a straight 6, I guess I have to amend my argument to "six cylinder". I agree with you, as a daily driver with lots of traffic auto is the way to go, but in my opinion if you live in a less busy area or have the stang as a toy it has to have three pedals for me. Like I said above there is nothing wrong with autos though. The mustang has always been a car that is great because you get do virtually anything to it and make it an expression of yourself which is what is so appealing about the car.

I was just saying that if people don't crap about one thing it's another. If you have a v6 you should have gotten a v8. If you have a v8, you should have gotten stick. It's a never ending cycle.

It's best to just not post ignorant comments like that other poster did

CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

So I've test driven a bunch of vehicles the last couple days, even an H3 for the hell of it, and I think I'm going to get a Dodge Nitro 4x4. It is a pretty sweet little SUV, and dealer is a family friend who offered 4800 for my car. The other 700 could be rolled over to the loan.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Best of luck. I don't care for the styling, but my friend has one and it's been a super reliable DD so good choice.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar