whats the better rpm curve?/whats a good car choice? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2003, 03:25 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
whats the better rpm curve?/whats a good car choice?

ok im freaking bored right now, its like almost 1 oclock, and i was pondering the meaning of life when i got on to the import vs domsetic war over who has the better cars. now ive been looking to get a new car for a long time(since i got the tbird, lol) and i have come to a dilemma. which cars take better to modding? to further coincide with this question would be which type of car would be better to modify?

well, im thinking that if you want to race, wouldnt you want most your peak hp at high rpm's and your torque kinda in the middle? well domestics(such as stangs and camaros) all their torque is very low in the rpm range(like 2000rpm peak tq) and their peak hp is at around 5000rpm. on the other hand, theres imports(such as civics and integras) where their hp is way up high in rpm's(6000rpm) and their torque is usually the same as their hp figure, and is generally non existent till about 5000rpm. well wouldnt you want it so you take off the line at about 3000 rpm and pull all the way to redline, then when you shift your still in your max hp range? i only ask this as a non biased opinions from you guys. the V8 boards all think that because of their numper of cylinders, they are superior, and the import guys think that VTEC is the only way to go. i want to know, what is better? i know for a fact that a V8 is a excellent daily driver, because of the low torgue rpm range, you dont have to rev it very high to get up to 55, does 55 in 3rd at only 2500rpms. whereas in an import(such as buddys integra) he has to shift at 4500 rpm's up till 3rd to get to 55, and he has to give it more pedal to get there, whereas i just have to barely tap it. racing a v8 on the other hand is not so good. if you get trigger happy off the line, YOU WILL smoke the hell out of them, by the time you grip its time to shift, and when you come to in 2nd after 5000rpm youre after your hp curve and theres almost no pull whatsoever. whereas in an import, they launch at high rpm's, if they know how to drive theyll get traction and then shift quick, come to in second and theyre pulling hard from 6k to 8k and shifting into 3rd and theyll still be in their peak hp range.

i dont know which to buy. im not into this whole ricers vs domestics crap, a car is a car, if its fast its fast. if it looks like crap with a big wing and primer body kit, its a poor kid who lives close to a pep boys. if your with your V8 buddies and a kid in a import flies by and he says something about the exhaust, hes just saying that cause he thinks hes superior(8 cylinders, so big) yet when they both stop at a light its the V8 who puss's out and laughs like a big man(my other friend with 89 5.0) while the import flies away. i dont know, maybe its just me, i never turn down a race, even if i know ill lose, then i just tell them "its a tbird, big whoopdee" but if i win then its "yeah its a V8" and i get into my whole "i got a V8 and my engine is bigger than youre, so that means im superior in every way" and the i step back and say "thats a retarded way of thinking" when i could not be such an *** and say "dam dude, nice keeping up till 3rd. get an intake and some headers/exhaust and well race again" i dont know, i guess its all in the attitude. im still looking for a new car, this city i live in has a sorry *** selection of the cars i want, it seems everyone around here doesnt believe in manuals. heres my wish list of cars with mass aftermarket that i want to get:

-95+ mitsu eclipse GST or GS
has big aftermarket, GST is 14.7 sec stock but higher insurance,the GS has turbo kit for it at 2300$, and can be faster than GST. Looks nicer than civic or integra, IMO.

-96-00 Civic
the biggest of the big on aftermarket. can easily be a 13 sec car, yet doesnt look as good as an eclipse or stang, but is cheap to insure. turbo kits are in abundance for the stock motors, and swaps are always a +

-99+ Mustang
In Silver. i just started liking these cars the more i look at them. huge aftermarket for exterior and accesories. if a v6 is bought, will remain stock 6 till a vortech SC GT engine swap. will be show till then.

99+ Celica
i love the design of the new celicas. kinda reminds me of a shark from the front. not much of an aftermarket, though. all performance parts are most likely TRD. rims and body kit will make it a head turner. still too rich for my blood, cheapest ive seen was 12000 for a crappy *** one

all cars MUST be a MANUAL. even if i must drive 4 hours to just look at one of these cars that fit the description will be worth it. NEED A NEW CAR.

on the plus side, parts for the bird came in today(fender, header panel and wheel well) so im gonna mock those up after i take it to the tranny shop again (OD Light is blinking, but runs fine ) so yeah.

Sorry for the incessant rambling, but it has taken me 1 hour to write this so im not bored anymore. going to bed. late all. goodnight.

EVERYONE WHO READS THIS FAR MUST REPLY AT ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 03:28 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

brent i double posted again :no:

Old 12-03-2003, 03:30 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

nevermind............ i deleted it myself

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2003, 05:38 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Danger Dude
To me the whole cylinder thing is goofy anyway but at the same time body kits, wings, and fart cannons are just gay. Anything can be made fast so to me it boils down to looks. I want a car that performs and is comfortable to ride in and comfortable for passangers to ride in. There is this guy where I live that has a early 90's civic hatchback and it looks like a dump inside. he has gutted it to make it lighter than hell and took the back seat out and has 3 nitrous bottles just laying in it and all the wiring is hanging all over everything and he wants a carbon fiber hood. Well it is fast but it is ugly as hell. To me that is just retarded. I want fast but I want comfort.

So you need to decide what car you like best and get it !!!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:38 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark
you think too much man. lol... i agree that import vs domestic can be overdone, but at the same time, rice is hard to tolerate lol. it's a personal measure of ugly. mismatched paint, fart cannons and **** like that is just ugly

but yea, i'd say get the eclipse or a stang
Old 12-03-2003, 10:05 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to Crispy
Thats a pretty nice list there man, personally I'd replace the Civic with a 94+ Integra GSR I live in Queens, if i see one more Civic i'm gonna go nuts, everyone and there mothers, and some grandmothers drive beat up Civics with Euro lights and fart pipes :no:
Crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 12:39 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

nah cause i just drove my freinds integra 6 hours straight on a road trip, it was not comfortale at all. the shifter is hella too far forward so i have to like lean forward to shift. the civic is in an alright spot, the stangs and eclipses shifters are right where i would want them. well the stang is a little far forward but a shift kit will fix that.

Old 12-05-2003, 11:24 PM   #8
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Well, your kinda comparing apples and oranges. Like comparing a Geo to a Benz or something.

I love the look of the Celica's too. But I think they spent to much on the looks and no the performance. The only main difference between the GT and GT-S is the GT-S has a Six Speed and a high compression ratio and a slight larger bore and stroke.

But, I've never had a easier shifter than in my Stang. Angled towards me and not the passenger like in the Chevette.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar