Apartment living and working on cars - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Apartment living and working on cars

I've had my BBR O/R x-pipe for about two weeks now, waiting for my cousin and uncle to find some time to let me borrow their garage and tools, considering it's been single digit winter weather until yesterday. It's now in the 50's here and I was wondering how many of you have run into a similar situation.

Anyone here live or lived in an apartment complex and worked on their car in the parking lot? Did you run into any issues with management? Of course I'm not talking medium to major builds where the car is on jack stands for more than a day. I'm seriously getting frustrated staring at this $350 box of metal with a $350 tuner sitting on top of it. I have no tools, no jack or stands, and no covered parking. If I'm still awake when the auto parts store opens, I'll probably go rent all of that except for the parking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I rented an apartment in Irving Texas (Coppell) a few years back (company I had worked for relocated to Dallas). They had rules in place that did not allow working on cars; you could change a flat tire, but that was it. They did have single car garages for rent (50 bucks more per month) and you were allowed to work on a car in them. I rented one of those for about 6 months, as I also had a motorcycle I wanted to keep out of the rain. While it made it easier, I got sick and tired of the small single car garage, and of apartment living; I was away from my wife and son (they were still in central Florida). I left that job of 30 years, took another that got me back home to Florida.

I dislike apartment living. I know it's convienient for many, but it's not the type of living for me. At the very least, I'd look at renting a home over an apartment if I was in that type of situation again.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I'm worried about. I haven't looked at the lease in quite a while, so I don't know if they have rules against it or not. I actually was going to buy a house but my credit was 2 points off from being approved for a loan, so now I have my '14 Mustang. My dad has a storage unit with a decent amount of room, but we still have a decent amount of snow and I'm not sure how well the unit managers are at keeping their grounds up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I know the feeling. My complex isnt too bad on it. But I have't done anything to major. Longest job was installing a lift kit on my truck and I didn't get any lip.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Mustang Evolution mobile app

06 GT "Ruby"
02 Jeep Wrangler (Toy)
jbs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Road Trip!

I live in an apt and work on my car sometimes. I helped my brother change the outer tie rod ends on my car just yesterday on our parking spot actually lol.

We were paranoid the manager would come out but he never did.

The only things we don't usually work on here is anything having to do with changeling of any fluids. Bc if there's a mess.. They WILL chew us out. I go to my gf's house for that kind if stuff though

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I lived in an apartment complex for more than a few years and did a lot of projects in the parking lot. Although I also paid $20/month extra for my own designated covered parking slip. When staff would come around they would just come talk to me about my car and hang out for a bit then continue on their day. I would also always call the Complex manager and let her know when I was going to be tearing my car apart and when I planed on having it all cleaned up.

Just depends on your manager and relationship with them, I suppose.

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Lightbulb Suggestion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
I've had my BBR O/R x-pipe for about two weeks now, waiting for my cousin and uncle to find some time to let me borrow their garage and tools, considering it's been single digit winter weather until yesterday. It's now in the 50's here and I was wondering how many of you have run into a similar situation.

Anyone here live or lived in an apartment complex and worked on their car in the parking lot? Did you run into any issues with management? Of course I'm not talking medium to major builds where the car is on jack stands for more than a day. I'm seriously getting frustrated staring at this $350 box of metal with a $350 tuner sitting on top of it. I have no tools, no jack or stands, and no covered parking. If I'm still awake when the auto parts store opens, I'll probably go rent all of that except for the parking.
Try this. Do you have a high school that teaches auto repair in your area? If so, go down to the school and see if the instructor would like a car for his students to work on? They get some experience and you get your car fixed NOW. Offer them a $100 if need be.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I lived in an apartment complex for more than a few years and did a lot of projects in the parking lot. Although I also paid $20/month extra for my own designated covered parking slip. When staff would come around they would just come talk to me about my car and hang out for a bit then continue on their day. I would also always call the Complex manager and let her know when I was going to be tearing my car apart and when I planed on having it all cleaned up.

Just depends on your manager and relationship with them, I suppose.
See this is where I run into problems. I live with my dad. He's retired. The only contact we have had with management is because of him complaining about neighbors being too loud while he's trying to sleep.....at any hour of the day. He also got a parking violation a few weeks ago because his car doesn't have current registration, insurance, and a flat tire. It also hasn't moved in months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Try this. Do you have a high school that teaches auto repair in your area? If so, go down to the school and see if the instructor would like a car for his students to work on? They get some experience and you get your car fixed NOW. Offer them a $100 if need be.
I spent about that much in tools to do this job. I would much rather do it myself and learn a little than spend another $100 for someone else to learn.

I ended up doing in my girl's garage. Took me 6 hours, most of which was trying to break bolts loose and then line everything up and remember how to use the factory exhaust clamps, lol.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar