Opinion: setting myself up for criticism - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Opinion: setting myself up for criticism

i am a believer in sports as a learning tool. I make all my kids do something, don't care what. My 9 yr old was asked at 4 what he wanted to do and he said a cage fighter. He has been in wrestling, Muay Thai, grappling and other "fight" classes every since. He has done lacrosse and football also.

I have been getting some criticism lately for him being in these things and going to tournaments. He loves them and it's great bonding time. (I don't do it we just go to things for him to compete together). He loves it trains hard listens to instructors and can train for hours a day if I let him.

Whats your guys thoughts? They do teach no starting fights, defense or competitions only and such.

BTW, here is a link to his youtube page:

Del Debbio Sports Highlights - YouTube

Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

Region: Connecticut
mixed feelings about fighting as sport but if the push is coming from him I'll say it's good.

disclaimer: No kids.

New England Fall Cruise Nov 5th!
PM RoboStang or me for details....lets go for a ride
Strange Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Region: Massachusetts
I don't have kids either but I would say you did the right thing. Get him into karate and things along that line to teacher him discipline of being a skilled fighter. So he doesn't use his skills the wrong way like pick on kids or starts fights at school.
Don't hate....... appreciate
Adogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: California
I have no children either... that I am aware of anyways.

I see nothing wrong with your family's choice of sports. Id bet that it's a very small percentage of kids who abuse what they learn in martial arts. It's a good way to learn discipline, respect, etc.
The important part though, is the bonding that you are doing with your son. Hell of a lot more problems with kids who's fathers are out of the picture completely and have NEVER taken a martial arts class.
Life is full of critcs. If you and your son's hobby was building birdhouses, people would raise their eyebrows at that also.
Just continue to show interest in your childrens pursuits. The time that you spend right now will help them grow into productive adults...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Don't have any kids but I was a kid once (not that long ago)

I always wanted to do stuff like that when I was a kid but we were poor and couldn't afford it.

I think it's cool so you have suck an active kid. He gets exercise, learns how to be around people, and I'm sure the teachers show the students that they shouldn't go around fighting people all the time.

I wish I would have done that because I ended up just wandering the street with my friends instead of doing something productive, and got into a lot of things I shouldn't have.

When I have a kid I'm gonna put them in boxing classes (boy or girl lol) so they could learn all the cool things I never could.

I think your doing fine with you kids

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Region: New Jersey
My 10yr old son is in tae kwon do and cannot spar due to a heart issue but I see the other kids and there is nothing wrong with toughening them up a little bit. If your son is happy, that is all that matters. F&ck everybody else with their negativity. Tell them to mind their own business. I hate when people stick their nose where it doesn't belong.
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Region: Arizona
It's a good thing. My girlfriend comes from a family of boxing and to be honest I'd love my daughter to box too but nothing to extreme just to the point where she can defend herself.
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #8
Registered Member
Region: Arizona
Tell them that when your kid grows up he's going to be able to kick their kids *** if he has to.
Gordito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #9

Region: Florida
Getting a child involved with any type of activity or sport is a great thing IMO. Too many children sit around doing nothing, eat, get fat, or get involved with gangs because they have nothing to do.

I say you're doing the right thing by showing your son that there's plenty to do other than be lazy or sit around. It pays off too later in life, as they pass this along to their children someday.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar