Smoking..triggers to make you quit - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Heart attack at 32... holy ****... I'm 31 and this scares the **** out of me. I'm probably 20 lbs too heavy still but I can run 30 minutes and pass all my military PT stuff so I suppose I'm in decent shape. Still... wow... need to start running more. My racecar dog loves to go out on runs so that's a good excuse plus its getting warmer now.

After the extensive tests and poking and prodding the best answer I got is that my gene pool is really a cesspool. Poor genetics, bad eating habits and smoking. I worked out while smoking too when I was younger and was in good shape. Age and work out laziness set in after the kiddies were born.
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Haha. Unfortunately my car payment is about what a mortgage should be, so I can't afford to wrench on it all the time. Maybe if I quit smoking....

What is the cost per pack now? When I was smoking a pack of camels was .99 - 1.25. At $7-9 per pack now who would start or keep up the habit? Who can afford it??????
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmegnin1 View Post
What is the cost per pack now? When I was smoking a pack of camels was .99 - 1.25. At $7-9 per pack now who would start or keep up the habit? Who can afford it??????
I always buy them at work, which tends to be higher than most places in town. My Marlboro 83's run me $6.42/pack since they just went back up. I smoke maybe 1/2-3/4 of a pack a day. So I roughly spend $125/month on smokes.

Fuuuu. Actually seeing the number....that's bad. That there's mod money, or principle on the car money, or mortgage money. About $1500 a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2014, 12:30 PM   #39
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
You think the ciggerette prices are high

Just wait until the Doctors bill's, Inhalers, Medication and eventually Oxygen bill's start pouring in.

Don't think it will happen to you. Guess what. The chances are really good it will.

I have not even got into "CANCER" That is another thing you may look forward to.

I have both C.O.P.D. & Cancer and it all came from "SMOKING" those Winstens as well as a cigar now and then. If it can happen to somebody as wonderful as I am, It can happen to anybody that smokes.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

When I started, my logic was ignorant. Most of my older family members are/were smokers. My grandparents were well into their 70s or 80s when they passed. I even had a great grandfather that smoked since he could walk, practically, that died when he was 94. Of course, they were all much more religious than myself lol.

I do suffer from ocular migraines due to something in my carotid artery that I need to get looked at, but that's been going on since before I took up smoking. Hell, I only started because I worked a job that required 15 hour days outside in the summer and we still only got the standard two 15 minute breaks and an hour for lunch. But if you smoked, you could stop whenever you wanted.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #41
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
When I started, my logic was ignorant. Most of my older family members are/were smokers. My grandparents were well into their 70s or 80s when they passed. I even had a great grandfather that smoked since he could walk, practically, that died when he was 94. Of course, they were all much more religious than myself lol.

I do suffer from ocular migraines due to something in my carotid artery that I need to get looked at, but that's been going on since before I took up smoking. Hell, I only started because I worked a job that required 15 hour days outside in the summer and we still only got the standard two 15 minute breaks and an hour for lunch. But if you smoked, you could stop whenever you wanted.
One of my supervisors the other day was on my case about taking a half hour to go get a wrap from the dining hall since I only work a real 8 hour shift. The next day I took no lunch and when he mentioned it I told him that he had clocked over an hour in the smoke pit that day. Didn't go over very well but he didn't say anything yesterday when I took 30 minutes to go hit the post office/dining hall again.

I have no problem with ppl smoking as long as it isn't around me or my family but the whole getting a smoke break every hour or whatever it is really pisses me off. Years ago at Dover I once started buying candy cigarettes and going with the smokers to the smoke area to get breaks just to make a point and I remember at my very first job at a fast food place when I was 16 I remember the smokers all got a ton of smoke breaks that they legally had to get and we worked shorthanded for the 10 minutes or whatever while they were out puffing away.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:53 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
Since I have started this thread, I still have not had a cigarette. I just cant believe I was such a heavy smoker. I'm mad at myself for this, but theres nothing I can do about it. I am not having any cravings at all. I have the e-cig with 0mg nicotine. So I'm gonna take the plunge and say that the habit is beat. For good. More money to dump into a little Ford or some more audiophile gear for the house.
To those who want to quit, give it a go. I feel so much better. Smell better. Food tastes better. Wallet thinker. Car smells nice. Its just a win win to quit.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Smoking..triggers to make you quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds442111 View Post
Since I have started this thread, I still have not had a cigarette. I just cant believe I was such a heavy smoker. I'm mad at myself for this, but theres nothing I can do about it. I am not having any cravings at all. I have the e-cig with 0mg nicotine. So I'm gonna take the plunge and say that the habit is beat. For good. More money to dump into a little Ford or some more audiophile gear for the house.
To those who want to quit, give it a go. I feel so much better. Smell better. Food tastes better. Wallet thinker. Car smells nice. Its just a win win to quit.

Good job so far! And not to offend the smokers, but now that you stopped, are you finding that talking to smokers or being around them is less than pleasant from an odor standpoint? I know it probably sounds bad to hear me say this if you are a smoker, but breath, body odor and clothing just emanates a terrible odor. Smokers don't even realize it.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Good job so far! And not to offend the smokers, but now that you stopped, are you finding that talking to smokers or being around them is less than pleasant from an odor standpoint? I know it probably sounds bad to hear me say this if you are a smoker, but breath, body odor and clothing just emanates a terrible odor. Smokers don't even realize it.
+1 to all of this. Great job and its good for not just you but everyone who cares about you. Also yeah, the other two ppl that work in my office both smoke and are always smelling like ash trays when they come in from a break. Smells like **** IMO... I just am not sure why anyone starts in the first place. To be cool or rebel? I guess I was that stupid as a teenager to think I was invincible and smoking was a good way to pass the time at tech school. Lots of ppl I knew started this way but I never started because of the $$$ aspect. As an E-1 I made very little money and I wanted that Gran Turismo 3/Playstation 2 combo pack dammit. Even back then I had my priorities somewhat straight lol.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just am not sure why anyone starts in the first place. To be cool or rebel?
To get breaks at work, lol.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

I do find others stink. Experienced this at the store in the check out line the other day. And the smoke smell does come across strongly. So yes I agree and not trying to be mean. I stunk this way and offended others. It's actually embarrassing. I wonder how many people said things about me. It's done now tho. Not picking that up again. No way in hell. Think I'm going to treat myself to a new pair of home speakers after 6 months, which I see as no problem at all. Still every day I'm in awe that I pulled this off, having fought it so hard and so heavily and giving in each time for so long ...... Sad.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:25 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
Quote:
So I was at the convenience store today and dude in front of me bought a carton of Newports and a carton of Camels. When the cashier said "that will be $150" (somewhere right in there) I literally almost spit my coffee out. Wow...
I don't smoke but that's not bad man thats 7.50 a pack
20 in a pack so something like 37-38 cents a smoke so
its not as expensive as people think it is to smoke... just how
much you smoke.
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
I don't smoke but that's not bad man thats 7.50 a pack
20 in a pack so something like 37-38 cents a smoke so
its not as expensive as people think it is to smoke... just how
much you smoke.
$150 a carton means $15 a pack and 75 cents a cigarette. Cartons here are roughly $50.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
there is 10 packs In a carton ...
20 smokes in a pack... that's 200 a carton.. the guy bought 2 .. so that's 400
150/400 = 0.375 ...
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:50 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

My bad. Only read up to "newports" so I thought that was just one carton, lol. Aside from that, I'm aware of the quantities, as my math shows.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

1 Carton a week=gas money for the week around here at least even railing the hell out of the Mustang. You could say the same thing about ppl who drink a lot or are compulsive eaters or just spend money on whatever which is the arguement I hear from ppl to justify why they keep smoking as far as financial reasons and I can see their point. However, the 3 pack a day smokers will go through roughly 2 cartons a week @$150+... I'm sorry even when I'm going through one of my periods where I keep the fridge stocked with good craft beer I don't even spend half that and that's a rare occurance.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Trust me I made the excuses. Been there.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

This is perfect timing!! Today is my day. I quit for 8 years and started up again about 4 years ago. Cancer and smoking related heart issues in family history. Spent 15 minutes last night looking through a ton of my kids photos. I don't want to miss anything I don't have to in their beautiful lives.

Thanks to everyone, we should all do it, no reason not too. Like I said, perfect timing
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Do it bro!!!!! Kick it. U need anything I'm here.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #55
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Props to all the quitters....
Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds442111 View Post
Do it bro!!!!! Kick it. U need anything I'm here.
Thanks man. Kids lives, girlfriend. LIVING lol. All good reasons. and i just thought of another... My stang. New suspension be all the sooner with that money available.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome glad to see you quitting!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #58
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It's really a good thing you did.

You will be surprised how much better you will feel and the $$$$$ you will save.
Just always remember that if you get weak and smoke one cigarette you will be hooked all over again. Just don't do it.
Ronnie
Old 04-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
You will be surprised how much better you will feel and the $$$$$ you will save.

Just always remember that if you get weak and smoke one cigarette you will be hooked all over again. Just don't do it.

Ronnie

I will fight any urge I may get in the future, as I also think that it may hook me again. Never do I want to be that person again.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #60
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A sad story - but true

I had stopped smoking for about a month when a friend came into the store where I worked. He was a very wealthy ( Rich) guy and laid one thousand dollars on the counter and a pack of winstons with a bic . He said if I would smoke one cigarette I could pocket the money.
I got soooo freakin mad I grabbed the billy club and ran him up the street. His Harley was still in the parking lot when I left that night. I heard later that he called George to see if he could come get his bike and George told him to send someone else and never come into the store again. When word got out about what he did , Every Biker in town ( Daytona was a smaller town at that time) kind of threatened him and he had to move.
Kevin ( Bucko) probably remembers the incident and the guy's name was Andre. He was from New York and that is probably where he is now. If I did not run out of breath and could catch him I probably would have killed him. I was that mad.
I really kind of miss the good old days at Millers when Bikers were Bikers and it was a great time to be one.
I worked there for 27 years and never was late or missed a day. I did get to take off anytime I wanted and did get off for months at a time in the summer to take long trips. I still have a lot of friends from the old days but we are all older now and mellowed out a whole lot.
The main point I'm getting at is :DO NOT LIGHT UP EVEN ONE CIGARETTE or you will be back to square one.
I'm betting Millers was the very first Harley Davidson shop in the world that started "NO SMOKING" inside the store. After I stopped, George stopped giving away his famous matches and put ash treys by the doors and stuck up the signs. We thought we would lose customers but not one complaint was ever heard. George put benches out in the parking lot and customers started hanging around longer and we actually did better.
I quit cold turkey but I had a lot of support from my boss and Biker Friends, Not my Mom, She would not stop and she died of C.O.P.D. in Hospice.
Ronnie
Old 04-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Day one down. Wasn't too bad. Thanks for all the encouragement. Kids smiles, girlfriends words are my motivation. Added benefit will be the money.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #62
Staff

Regular
Staff

Ronnie,

I remember seeing Warren Zevon after he quit drinking and some punk came up and put a drink on his piano for him....drink was knocked off and kid was hussled out of the bar (Toads in New Haven) audience cheered and the show went on. These folks who don't support need to beat beat with Wiffle bats (Wood/aluminum make the lesson over too quickly).

Oh yeah, Warren was a guitar God.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #63
Staff
Regular
Staff

Agreed, the whole "I'll get him to smoke/drink/whatever again" ******bags need a swift beating with a large metal object. Whatever is close by will do.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Picking up a dog tomorrow. Going to try and convince my dad to quit with me. The dog is going to help keep both of us active, hopefully. He smokes about 2 packs a day and has been going through a massive depression for the past few years.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Picking up a dog tomorrow. Going to try and convince my dad to quit with me. The dog is going to help keep both of us active, hopefully. He smokes about 2 packs a day and has been going through a massive depression for the past few years.
Doing it together is a great idea for both of you and should help.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #66
Staff
Regular
Staff

Watch out for rescue/backyard bred dogs. Rescuing an animal is great but it sucks down the road when it winds up getting displaysia and all sorts of health issues at 4 years old because it is bred like crap. I'm not trying to be a snob or anything, I just am really into dogs. We have a mill rescue, a backyard bred rescue and three purebred show dogs and it isn't even in the same universe as far as quality of life and happiness for the well bred dogs although they are all treated the same and all get the same love/attention.

/soapbox.

But yes a dog is a great way to stay active and work on bettering yourself, I run with my Beezer every day when I get home from work if its nice out and its really been helping me in that regard and that's just one example.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Watch out for rescue/backyard bred dogs. Rescuing an animal is great but it sucks down the road when it winds up getting displaysia and all sorts of health issues at 4 years old because it is bred like crap. I'm not trying to be a snob or anything, I just am really into dogs. We have a mill rescue, a backyard bred rescue and three purebred show dogs and it isn't even in the same universe as far as quality of life and happiness for the well bred dogs although they are all treated the same and all get the same love/attention.

/soapbox.

But yes a dog is a great way to stay active and work on bettering yourself, I run with my Beezer every day when I get home from work if its nice out and its really been helping me in that regard and that's just one example.
Oh believe me I know. I don't know any history on this dog but my sister works with the owner and is mediating everything. It's a 2 year old white husky with a small percentage of wolf and heterochromia. House and kennel trained, neutered, great with kids and other dogs, but cats.....slightly less than friendly. The owner just doesn't have time for it anymore, so he's giving him to me at no charge and with all the fixings (kennel, leash, etc.). I've always wanted a husky and am beyond excited. I'll do just about anything to make this work lol.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #68
Staff

Regular
Staff

continuing the derail...I'd put money on the health of a resue dog b4 a pure breed....survival of the fittest yada yada. fyi Huskies do require a firm owner

glad the dog is straight
Old 04-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #69
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
continuing the derail...I'd put money on the health of a resue dog b4 a pure breed....survival of the fittest yada yada. fyi Huskies do require a firm owner

glad the dog is straight
I will take that bet any day of the week. I can go back 40+ years on all my purebreds in their lines, see what dog had what issues, look at any genetic markers for passing on XYZ problem, I know how long the grandparents/great grandparents lived and who had them etc... I know my Ibizan Hound has 0 genetic issues in his history, same with my Bedlington. My Wolfhound comes from a line that has been working on breeding out all the issues introduced by ****ty breeders when they got away from the standard during the middle of the 20th century. His line lives 2 years longer on average and has an extremely low incidence of health issues although with his breed heart issues will eventually get him just because of sheer size.

Now... if we are talking about a "Purebred" dog you get from a mill or some random breeder down the street where you just show up with money and they give you a dog no questions asked... then yeah you are likely going to have issues from inbreeding/poor breeding/overbreeding and all sorts of other problems like temperament and behavior. But a properly bred animal from a responsible breeder that does genetic background checks and all the health tests and does not breed two animals that have a potential for said issues then your dog will live a long, happy, healthy life. Generally this is going to be a show breeder and you can find a "Breeder of Merit" local to you (or the closest one to you) on the AKC webpage by clicking on the breed you are interested in and going from there.

I'm not saying mutts can't or not to get a rescue which I get accused of all the time but you have to be very careful because you have no idea where the dog came from, that's all. If you do your homework and stay the hell away from backyard breeders/puppy stores you should be good.

/thread completely derailed but I will say again, a dog can cure a TON of ailments and helping one quit smoking is definitely something a dog can help with if nothing else because you get so much enjoyment out of it and want to be around to take care of it. Also a Husky NEEDS activity like going for a run every day activity and quitting smoking will definitely be a plus in that regard.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

I thought very hard about getting a Boxer, but they are even more energetic than Huskies. I wish I could trust a Husky off leash though, they're too smart/curious for their own good lol. I'm a fairly avid gym-goer and former soccer player. I miss being able to go on a jog for more than a block.

Ok, back on track.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar