Smoking..triggers to make you quit - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
70-80% of smokers trying to quit will relapse in the first 6 months. Those of you trying to quit, you have to want this! Do not give up, if you relapse back into smoking, just try again! Do not get discouraged. After the first 6 months, you are MUCH less likely to relapse back into smoking, statistically speaking.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #72
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
I agree. I'm fighting this quitting thing with the rest of you. My urges just really aren't there. I feel blessed. I'm so thrilled with how things and I smell. The smokes are a definite thing of the past as far as I can see. I've actually thought about trying one to prove the nastiness to myself but will not do this. I know it's disgusting and offensive. I'm with you guys trying to quit too and am here if ya need anything. I'll give any of you my cell number. Call or text. Whatever. Long as u stay strong. Beat that habit with me. I'd be thrilled
Old 04-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #73
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
olds442111 Do NOT do it.

As you know, Smoking is an addiction just like crack or ice. If you do not do it for a while the addiction goes away. It is not always easy but it can be done.
The very best way is just "DON"T SMOKE ANYMORE"
Replacing cigarettes with a bunch of stupid chemicals is just as bad as smoking
( OR MAYBE EVEN WORSE) Those E-cigarettes are so full of crap that they will destroy your lungs. People get just as addicted to them as they do real cigarettes.
If you think some of that junk they push on television is going to help, Just read the side effects and you will know what I'm saying.
THE BEST WAY IS, JUST "DO NOT DO IT ANYMORE"
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Totally agree Ronnie
Old 04-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
As you know, Smoking is an addiction just like crack or ice. If you do not do it for a while the addiction goes away. It is not always easy but it can be done.

The very best way is just "DON"T SMOKE ANYMORE"

Replacing cigarettes with a bunch of stupid chemicals is just as bad as smoking

( OR MAYBE EVEN WORSE) Those E-cigarettes are so full of crap that they will destroy your lungs. People get just as addicted to them as they do real cigarettes.

If you think some of that junk they push on television is going to help, Just read the side effects and you will know what I'm saying.

THE BEST WAY IS, JUST "DO NOT DO IT ANYMORE"

Ronnie

My wife's sister-in-law quit smoking a couple years ago or so using e-cigarettes. They live out of state so we hardly ever see them. We saw her a few months back and she was still puffing away on that e-cig. Sounds like she traded one addiction for another.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #76
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

olds442111

If you get the urge to try one, Please PM me first
Ronnie
Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah e-cigs are just as bad (still fueling an addiction to nicotine) without the tar and tobacco. Honestly, this may sound silly, but something that might help is when you get an urge to light one up, eating carrot sticks or pretzel rods instead. Not only do most people become physically addicted to the nicotine, but they also become behaviorally addicted to the "motion" and physical act of smoking a cigarette.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you get the urge to try one, Please PM me first

Ronnie

Not here, never smoked, never will!
Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

So Ronnie, someone is going to open a hooka bar in town here. I guess they smoke flavored liquid. I was at a friend's house for the SuperBowl and his daughter's boyfriend was smoking a liquid vapor pipe. Still seemed like us non-smokers around him were coughing a little bit. What's your take on that stuff? Is that different than an e-cig?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:23 AM   #80
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My hardest part of not smoking was:::::::

Sitting at the bar drinking a beer I'd get off work, Ride up to the Boot Hill or Last resort Biker bar and have a beer or three. Smoking and beer went together for me like salt & pepper would. It was very difficult but I stuck with not smoking and as time went on the urge for smoking went away.
Of course it was not easy, but it needed to be done because my lung damage had already started and walking around spitting blood in a paper cup was not fun at all.
I wished I had stopped way sooner, Oh ! I did but went back to smoking a few weeks after stopping the first time. "I Was Really STUPID
Ronnie
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

My use of the e-cig is FAR less than what real cigarettes were. I may take a puff of it twice an hour. At night I may go to 6 or 7 puffs per hour. That's far less than the amount of puffs per hour as a almost 2 pack per day smoker. And with the ecig, I'm using nicotine free. So I don't see the ecig hanging around very long. I'll trash it too.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

I sell E-cigs as one of our product lines. Won't say which one but I can tell you this. They are safe from all information out there although the contents are un regulated so try to go with a reputable brand. They do contain nicotine for the most part but you can buy liquid without or with lower content. It does mimic the hand to mouth motion.

All that said they are better than cigarettes but the best bet is to use one ONLY when really get an urge for the real thing and try to very rarely. Quit the cigs cold turkey and ween off of the E-cig. I have not smoked for 3 days, used the E-cig with very low nicotine content about 3-4 times a day for about 4 puffs a time. Going to stop using that starting Saturday except for when having a beer (thats going to be the hard time) but am going to try and go with no nicotine liquid at that point.

My dad quit after a heart attack about 12 years ago after smoking for 40 yrs. He said he would still occasionally reach into his pocket for them 5 years later, not for wanting one but out of habit while driving and stuff.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #83
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Read these Majic words

Quote:
although the contents are un regulated
Does anyone ever watch 60 Minutes or 20-20. They did a story on one of these shows ( I can't remember which one) that talked about the E-Cig's. What they found is they are just as bad and probably worse on your lungs then real cigarettes. They do put out a vapor that they don't really know if the vapor is harmful to bystanders or not. I'm sure they will be totally banned someday when the company's that import them and make them stop paying officials off.
If your gonna replace smoking with anything else. IT JUST AIN'T GONNA WORK OUT FOR YOU.
http://www.torontolife.com/informer/...h-e-cigarette/

Another link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/saf...ry?id=12789204
Ronnie
Old 04-09-2014, 01:28 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Congrats to those that have quit!

I quit a bit more than 3 months ago with the help of Nica. It sounds cheesy, but it really worked. I quit cold turkey.

I'd tried it all: patches, gum, e-cig. Realized I was still feeding the addiction. That brings up another topic, call it what it is. Nicotine is not a habit, it is an addiction and a seriously strong one at that.

Learned that the acute withdrawals would last about a week, then the emotional withdrawal a bit longer. My last craving was triggered by finding a half pack while cleaning my car out prior to trading her in. Made sure to destroy the pack quickly.

I'm happy to talk to anyone who is trying to quit and needs the moral support from a fellow addict. One day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. My breathing is much better. I can taste stuff!

Good luck,

G

2010 Mazdaspeed 3, sold. Absolutely loved this car.
galens47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:39 PM   #85
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

All I gotta say is::::

CONGRATULATIONS to you galens47

It is one of the best things you have ever done, not only for your self, but also for you family and friends.
Ronnie
Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
There is a visual aspect to smoking and seeing the smoke come out of your nose or mouth. Someone once told me that you probably wouldn't smoke if you smoked in the complete darkness. So for *****s and giggles I gave it a go and you know what...It seemed pointless as there was no smoke and the sensation of smoking just seemed different. Give it a try sometime.
cmegnin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely a huge congrats to all. This is not typically an easy habit to quit. Very much so a mental game too. Today a few times I felt a slight urge to have a drag. But the ecig curbed that urge. So far so good. Feeling awesome and smelling a lot better. Friends n family are thrilled. Car smells great. I'm beyond thrilled at my progress and am with all the other quitters. I too am here to chat and help anyone in any way I can. Will give whoever asks my number.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 AM   #88
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I stopped back in 1985

I know what you mean about the urge but I also know it will go away as long as you stay away from the CANCER STICKS.

I'm really happy some of you are quitting. Just don't replace one addiction for another. No Candy, No E-Cigs, No patches, No chemicals. Just Stop Smoking is still the best way to stop. It is difficult but with a little will power it is possible.

Stopping before any lung damage or cancer starts is the best thing you will ever do.
Ronnie
Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds442111 View Post
Definitely a huge congrats to all. This is not typically an easy habit to quit. Very much so a mental game too. Today a few times I felt a slight urge to have a drag. But the ecig curbed that urge. So far so good. Feeling awesome and smelling a lot better. Friends n family are thrilled. Car smells great. I'm beyond thrilled at my progress and am with all the other quitters. I too am here to chat and help anyone in any way I can. Will give whoever asks my number.

This is one instance where you can be proud to be a quitter!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Damn right! Still amazed every day that I've made it this far. Never have made it longer than a few hours. STOKED!!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Sunday was my last one. On a roll!!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Keep it up bro. The way you feel just after a few days of quitting is awesome. The benefits are just great. I can't believe I did that for so long.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Keep it up bro. The way you feel just after a few days of quitting is awesome. The benefits are just great. I can't believe I did that for so long.
The funny thing is I have been so about health lately. About 2.5 yrs ago I went from 265 to 200 (im 6'2") and started working out regularly, eating better. I do mud runs and bike rides. 5k 10k and weights. Lots of stuff. BTW, side note, if you can do a Tough Mudder or Spartan race do it they are a blast. All while smoking so this is the final step and I am excited to see how well I can do those things now.

Last pic is me doing Warrior Dash with my two oldest. Trying to get them more health conscious as well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	153573   Click image for larger version

Name:	12_SSMA_JS_2983.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	696.6 KB
ID:	153574  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140201_124707.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	153575  
Old 04-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
Sunday was my last one. On a roll!!
Bravo! Keep it up! You are almost out of the woods.

Tough Mudder looks really cool.

G

2010 Mazdaspeed 3, sold. Absolutely loved this car.
galens47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #95
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi NaplesStang

First I want to say "CONGRATULATIONS" on your desire to stop smoking.
You seem to be doing it BEFORE the damage starts.
I was once very healthy like you are now. I could do a whole lot and I used to work out and do a lot of running. Then it seemed to happen all at once that I had a hard time breathing. I was getting really tired fast and it was because I waited to long to stop smoking. The Lung damage started. It turned out to be Chronic, Obstructive, Pulmonary, Disease and Chronic means = FOREVER.
It is really good that you decided to give it up. It won't be easy but it will be worth it for you in later years.
Ronnie
Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Its noce to now that this is a community, not just a gathering of gear heads. Even though we are all gear heads, lol. Thanks to everyone for great words and support
Old 04-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does anyone ever watch 60 Minutes or 20-20. They did a story on one of these shows ( I can't remember which one) that talked about the E-Cig's. What they found is they are just as bad and probably worse on your lungs then real cigarettes. They do put out a vapor that they don't really know if the vapor is harmful to bystanders or not. I'm sure they will be totally banned someday when the company's that import them and make them stop paying officials off.
If your gonna replace smoking with anything else. IT JUST AIN'T GONNA WORK OUT FOR YOU.
http://www.torontolife.com/informer/...h-e-cigarette/

Another link:
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/saf...ry?id=12789204
Ronnie

I'm taking a health class on drug addiction right now and we discussed that the issue with e-cigs is the mainly vapor (apart from the fact that you're still fueling an addiction to nicotine). The vapor is much more conducive for mold and fungi to grow inside your lungs. Of course, tobacco smoke isn't going to support that kind of growth. So to say one is worse than the other is to compare apples and oranges.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:14 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Well gentlemen, how goes the battle?
It's been about ten days since any new progress reports and I'm just wondering how all of you have been coming along.
Naples, are you still off of the smokes?
Olds? How about you? You've been pretty goddamn edgy lately so I'm guessing that you're still kinda off of them but there's a VERY strong urge that you're fighting day-to-day.

This is a fascinating thread so let's hear how you guys are doing at this point.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Today is day 18 for me. Not really craving smokes anymore. Started riding my bike again for exercise. Gonna do some trails soon.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #100
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Stangholio

CONGRATULATIONS
Ronnie
Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #101
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Bump....is everyone holding Strong?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #102
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
The funny thing is I have been so about health lately. About 2.5 yrs ago I went from 265 to 200 (im 6'2") and started working out regularly, eating better. I do mud runs and bike rides. 5k 10k and weights. Lots of stuff. BTW, side note, if you can do a Tough Mudder or Spartan race do it they are a blast. All while smoking so this is the final step and I am excited to see how well I can do those things now.

Last pic is me doing Warrior Dash with my two oldest. Trying to get them more health conscious as well
There's two good reasons not to smoke! You want to live long enough to see them prosper, and perhaps have some grandchildren to share with you.

I just don't get why folks can continue to smoke, knowing the complete dangers it causes. Simply put, it kills. Not only does this write you off, but think of your family; your children are now left without their mom or dad. Your friends are without a buddy.

Life is way to short to toss it away earlier by putting up with smoking. And think of all the less litter from butts that are tossed on the ground; that too is nasty!

To all that have quit, amen! Hang in there, and help out another smoker to quit. Lets get these tobaco farmers on welfare!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Saw someone posted in here so thought I would update. No cigs since 4/6 and going strong!! Honestly don't feel any different lol but I know I am healthier. Saving money, living longer and being a better example for my kids!
Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Congratulations Naples and Stangholio!!!

You guys probably have it licked...
Stay with it fellas!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm sure theres a million reasons to stop smoking, and all of them are valid, for the habit is really terrible.
My family has been on my *** to stop smoking, and recently, my doctor has been coming down on me because I'm sue to have some back surgery, and the healing process is longer if I keep smoking. In early 2012, I lost my mother to cancer. She never smoked a cigarette in her life. My dad is currently losing the battle against cancer, and he quit years ago, but was a regular smoker. Having all of this information, and battling in my head daily the fact that I need to quit, none of these have worked.
I occasionally go see a friend named Ron in Baton Rouge who is also a music lover, and into the same basic hobbies as I am. His love is in vinyl records, mine is in tube amps, so we tend to educate each other. Ron and I know each other basically from doing small bartering with each other. Petty stuff, not much money is ever exchanged. But we get together, hash over whatever new items he has added to his collection, etc.
I went the other day to his place to see a few pieces of stereo gear, and once again not much money was exchanged, and as usual, we hung out and killed a little time under the carport. Ron had one of his old guitars outside and was playing. Every time I go there, Ron plays some instrument, and I always wish I could play, but I've never learned how. So after the visit was over, I got in my car and off I went. Came home, went and ate and came back home. Didn't stop at the store, and had 2 smokes left in the pack. My tenant stopped by, and she took one from me. This left me with one, which I smoked with her. She left, and no sooner was she gone, my phone rang. It was Ron. This time, Ron wasn't calling to tell me about anything he bought or needed. Ron took on a whole different approach, and instead of being joking and free spirited like he always is when he calls, he was dead serious. I could hear a little bit of intoxication in his voice, but he was still dead serious nonetheless. The conversation started with something like " I'm not trying to preach" and Ron proceeded to all but beg me to stop the smoking. This conversation went on for about 10 - 15 minutes, and ended on a very good note. Ron even offered to teach me to play the guitar to keep my hands busy. The man was dead sincere in his offer and concern.
I have no idea why this triggered me, but after that last smoke was gone from the pack, then Ron calling, I have not bought any smokes, nor have I bummed one from anyone. I do admit I'm using an E-cig to help me get through this, but as far as the withdrawls, they have not been real bad. In fact, I'm truly not craving one. I have no idea why his phone call hit me so hard, but it did. I guess we all have things that push us over the edge so to speak, and that is what did it. I have never been without a cigarette this long. We are now working on about 48 hours. This is a milestone for me, being a pack and a half a day smoker. It may work, or I may get weak and give in. Time will tell, but I'm just glad Ron called me and said what he had on his mind. Now I'm going take a puff of my E-cig and go back to bed.
quitting smoking was the easiest thing I ever did I quit 12 years ago and I started when I was 15. I just decided it was time so I quit cold turkey.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar