Has anyone regretted getting a GT instead of the V6? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:18 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Weight is an enormous factor in acceleration, more important that HP in fact. Look at motorcycles, for example. Or the Morgan 3-wheeler!
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 03:31 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Weight is an enormous factor in acceleration, more important that HP in fact. Look at motorcycles, for example. Or the Morgan 3-wheeler!

Just to play "Devils Advocate", please explain the Bugatti Veyron!.. Over 4,200 lbs and still has a 250+ top speed!.. Just saying
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner View Post
Just to play "Devils Advocate", please explain the Bugatti Veyron!.. Over 4,200 lbs and still has a 250+ top speed!.. Just saying

Lol well give a car enough power and it will overcome the weight, but it will always be cheaper and easier for everyone involved to shed weight than to overcome it with power!
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Has anyone regretted getting a GT instead of the V6?

Quote:

Top speed a car can achieve and acceleration are two different things. Often times, cars that can accelerate quickly can't reach the top speeds of cars that can't accelerate quite as fast. Transmission as well as rear end gearing have a lot to do with how a car performs.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Top speed a car can achieve and acceleration are two different things. Often times, cars that can accelerate quickly can't reach the top speeds of cars that can't accelerate quite as fast. Transmission as well as rear end gearing have a lot to do with how a car performs.

Lol. I know!.. Like I said, just playing "Devils Advocate".
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:52 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Lol well give a car enough power and it will overcome the weight, but it will always be cheaper and easier for everyone involved to shed weight than to overcome it with power!
Yup
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #42
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:

Well let see 1000+ hp will take care if all that.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
No regrets at all... The V8 is a dream to drive... With the GT500 axle backs it is a BEAST...
rynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

To answer the original question, NO. Though the 3.7 is a very good motor and has excellent performance to offer, I just couldn't do it. To me a mustang should always have a V8. I'm sure one day the mighty "eco-boost" engines will reign supreme, but something about a big rumbling V8 just rounds out the experience of Mustang ownership.

That said, the V6 and upcoming eco-boost 4 cylinder are necessary engines. They provide options for those who don't want or need the v8, while also allowing Ford to meet fuel economy standards. All the the smaller engines allow the bigger V8's to exist. And to reiterate, the 3.7 is damn fast.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:01 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

eco-boost 4 cylinder in a mustang to me is an absolute waste of time... this is a MUSCLE car right??? I am not liking the vision of the 2015 and future at all... so glad I grabbed a 2014... it marks the end of the "true" muscle car by Ford before they go ruin it with a two door fusion... yuck...
Old 06-04-2014, 06:09 AM   #46
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynaldo View Post
eco-boost 4 cylinder in a mustang to me is an absolute waste of time... this is a MUSCLE car right??? I am not liking the vision of the 2015 and future at all... so glad I grabbed a 2014... it marks the end of the "true" muscle car by Ford before they go ruin it with a two door fusion... yuck...
Be careful with what you say...that turbo 4 that's coming out is projected to have over 300 HP (no exact numbers yet). Unfortunately, they also added over 300 pounds of weight to the 2015's, so it may be mute. The Mustang goes overseas as well, and folks accross the pond love their 4 cylinders. They have us beat in that catagory; been doing 4 bangers for years, with great performance and fuel economy. We are just now catching up.

Time will soon tell.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Be careful with what you say...that turbo 4 that's coming out is projected to have over 300 HP (no exact numbers yet). Unfortunately, they also added over 300 pounds of weight to the 2015's, so it may be mute. The Mustang goes overseas as well, and folks accross the pond love their 4 cylinders. They have us beat in that catagory; been doing 4 bangers for years, with great performance and fuel economy. We are just now catching up.

Time will soon tell.
good points, but I wil take my 420hp V8 any day over that junk...
Old 06-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
To answer the original question, NO. Though the 3.7 is a very good motor and has excellent performance to offer, I just couldn't do it. To me a mustang should always have a V8. I'm sure one day the mighty "eco-boost" engines will reign supreme, but something about a big rumbling V8 just rounds out the experience of Mustang ownership.

That said, the V6 and upcoming eco-boost 4 cylinder are necessary engines. They provide options for those who don't want or need the v8, while also allowing Ford to meet fuel economy standards. All the the smaller engines allow the bigger V8's to exist. And to reiterate, the 3.7 is damn fast.
Excellent post! Well said!

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:14 PM   #49
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynaldo View Post
good points, but I wil take my 420hp V8 any day over that junk...
One persons "junk" is another persons treasure. I've both been a passenger in and driven 4 bangers in Europe that have opened my eyes wide on the autobahn. While they did not snap my neck back in sudden acceleration, the climbing top speed was simply awesome.

It's all in what a person desires.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Heart skips a beat every time I start mine up so I would never ever trade
Scottad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
One persons "junk" is another persons treasure. I've both been a passenger in and driven 4 bangers in Europe that have opened my eyes wide on the autobahn. While they did not snap my neck back in sudden acceleration, the climbing top speed was simply awesome.

It's all in what a person desires.
Agreed... Just to me, nothing beats that V8 roar... I could never go back... No way...

---------- Post added at 04:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottad3 View Post
^^^^THIS^^^^
Old 06-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottad3 View Post
So true! I love the rumble. Strangely I set off more car alarms in my speed3.

I've been considering rebadging my GT as a v6...

Cheers,

G

2010 Mazdaspeed 3, sold. Absolutely loved this car.
galens47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked2v View Post
Oh I know my 2v ain't **** but I'd still take it over a fast v6 lol.

First question people ask when you tell them you have a mustang..

"Is it a v8?????"
THIS. Everyone asked this!
To which I replied "is your brain a little oxygen starved at the moment? Why would anyone buy a v6 mustang, and especially a 10 year old one at that."

Unfortunately a 3.7L v6 may be faster than my 4.6L 2 valve. It sure doesn't sound as good though.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

2004 GT - Bama SCT Tuner - Pypes catted X-Pipe - Pypes Violator Catback
- Comp XE270AH - DIY Sequential Turn Signals in the works!
ltdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #54
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Out of hundreds of people

Not one person has ever asked if my Mustang was a V8. I have come out of Publix Market or other stores and had someone looking at my Mustang. People always say " That sure looks nice" and then tell me about the one they or a friend/Family member had that they loved and was sorry they got rid of.
I have never been asked about the engine at all.
I'm guessing it is because of how my Mustang looks that people just assume it is a V8.

Without the fake gas cap and the 18 inch wheels and "American Muscle" on the hood plus the color. It just does not matter to most people. None of my Street Rod friends I cruise with have ever asked, But they probably know it is a V6 by the exhaust note. Although with the Magnaflows it does have a nice deep rumble and sounds great.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdan View Post
THIS. Everyone asked this!
To which I replied "is your brain a little oxygen starved at the moment? Why would anyone buy a v6 mustang, and especially a 10 year old one at that."

Unfortunately a 3.7L v6 may be faster than my 4.6L 2 valve. It sure doesn't sound as good though.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Very true that the 3.7 doesn't sound as good as a V8 4.6 L but it sure does sound good with the right exhaust set up. 34 DD's are big. 34 D's are not as big but there still big. V8 is the 34DD's. 3.7 are the 34 D's.

Ha ha ha

Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Very true that the 3.7 doesn't sound as good as a V8 4.6 L but it sure does sound good with the right exhaust set up. 34 DD's are big. 34 D's are not as big but there still big. V8 is the 34DD's. 3.7 are the 34 D's.

Ha ha ha

Well I'm as a$$ man so.... LMAO.

I don't know how you can regret getting a V8. I can see being happy with your V6... but to regret a V8?!?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #57
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I don't regret it at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love the V8 5.o GT, I also love the GT 500 and all Shelby's. The Coyote V8 is one of the best engines in the USA and puts out a lot of power. I just don't feel I need it at my way of driving. My 3.7 puts out enough power and my car is totally paid for. I'm just happy that Ford was smart enough to provide a very capable excellent V6 for us that need a less expensive car to maintain and have a little cheaper insurance that uses 87 octane gas. With our Mustangs we have a choice and one is not better then the other but there are some of us that only need a V6.
Before 2011 I would not even think of a V6 but since the Cyclone was introduced it was a no-brainer for me. The 3.7 V6 filled the bill perfectly.
My dream was to have a 1965 Mustang Boss 302 (STILL IS) even though my 3.7 V6 will blow it into the weeds. A 2013 Boss would be OK too.
If I can ever hit the stupid "LOTTO" I'll have both but sure will keep my V6 2012 MCA premium.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post

I don't know how you can regret getting a V8. I can see being happy with your V6... but to regret a V8?!?
Totally agree. How could someone regret buying a V8. . I like the a$$ too but all about the chicken BREAST. Lol.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

It's really depends on the person and preference, both are great cars in my eyes. A Stang is a Stang, but I wouldn't give my V8 back for anything I love it everytime I drive. I want more power cause that's the way I drive so no regrets besides wishing I had a better job to buy more parts ... Hahahahaha
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #60
Road Trip!

Region: California
I never regretted my v8, however I did regret some mods I put on it lmfao
shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
A lot of us probably are... booty is nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 AM   #62
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Has anyone regretted getting a GT instead of the V6?

I traded a V6 for GT... I do not regret the trade for one second.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar