Are you a down shifter or a coaster? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeJohnson View Post
I use brakes... I'll go into neutral when I coast.

It only takes a half second to pop it back into gear if I need to. Whoever was saying you might have exhausted your last option by taking it out of gear to coast and brake should really consider thinking ahead in traffic and being cautious of other drivers.

That being said- in traffic I'm usually never stopping so I stay in gear and shift up or downshift as needed to stay in the proper rpm band.

But with someone who always has a manual transmission, it's just instinct to pop it out of gear if needed (if they're a downshifter). There's not really a right or wrong way to go about it. It's just preference.
Grimace96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I use brakes... I'll go into neutral when I coast.

It only takes a half second to pop it back into gear if I need to. Whoever was saying you might have exhausted your last option by taking it out of gear to coast and brake should really consider thinking ahead in traffic and being cautious of other drivers.

That being said- in traffic I'm usually never stopping so I stay in gear and shift up or downshift as needed to stay in the proper rpm band.
Yeah in traffic I will stay in gear as well in the flow of traffic but I agree if you are any sort of experienced driver and you are in neutral you can pop your trans back into the correct gear pretty quick, at least as quick as an older automatic that takes what seems like forever to decide what gear it wants to go into.

But coasting to a stop at a light or a stopsign or whatever... brakes in neutral. Clutches do last a pretty damn long time but the TOBs in these cars are just notorious for going out what seems like every 30k miles or so and having to remove an entire integrated bellhousing transmission to get to a $20 part is pretty ****ty. I mean I can do it in 3-4 hours on a lift for $20 of lift fees but that's ME. Not everyone knows how to do it or even has access to a cheap $5/hr lift service with all the tools you want and air hoses in every stall. I'd still rather do 5 brake changes than a trans pull honestly. Now, the TOB is designed to ALWAYS ride on the fingers even with the clutch out but sitting at a light or rolling in traffic with it held in all the time puts a lot more pressure on the ball bearings and will wear it out much faster. Good practice is to go as easy on the TOB in these cars as one can.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:42 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace96 View Post
But with someone who always has a manual transmission, it's just instinct to pop it out of gear if needed (if they're a downshifter). There's not really a right or wrong way to go about it. It's just preference.

True that.. I've always driven my 5 speed. Hah

2016 Comp Orange GT (current)
Aurora - 2002 Boosted GT! (Sold, sadly)
ColeJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
True that.. I've always driven my 5 speed. Hah

Agreed. When I was shopping around this last time for another mustang, I had actually found a gorgeous white Cobra....but it was automatic, so I walked away. The guy was like "You can drive it!" So I was just like "No thanks, I'm not even interested anymore."
Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 AM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Agreed. When I was shopping around this last time for another mustang, I had actually found a gorgeous white Cobra....but it was automatic, so I walked away. The guy was like "You can drive it!" So I was just like "No thanks, I'm not even interested anymore."
There are no automatic Cobras. Not from the factory anyway. The only ones I've seen swapped are 03/04s and that was so they could click off better times at the track.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
There are no automatic Cobras. Not from the factory anyway. The only ones I've seen swapped are 03/04s and that was so they could click off better times at the track.

That one was definitely automatic. Could've been a forged cobra (ya know, the idiots that think replacing the emblems makes it legit), but I really didn't look too far into it because I didn't care to spend my money on something I wasn't going to enjoy driving. Point is, manual/automatic plays a big part in the decision making.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #42
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
That one was definitely automatic. Could've been a forged cobra (ya know, the idiots that think replacing the emblems makes it legit), but I really didn't look too far into it because I didn't care to spend my money on something I wasn't going to enjoy driving. Point is, manual/automatic plays a big part in the decision making.
It was likely a "Fobra". They are easy to spot if you know what to look for. I also can't stand putting emblems on a car that do not belong. IMO, if you want a Cobra, go buy one. I catch flak for that all the time and ppl get offended but I don't care honestly. I think its very poserish to make a Fobra.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was likely a "Fobra". They are easy to spot if you know what to look for. I also can't stand putting emblems on a car that do not belong. IMO, if you want a Cobra, go buy one. I catch flak for that all the time and ppl get offended but I don't care honestly. I think its very poserish to make a Fobra.

I have a Fobra. D:

Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
I have a Fobra. D:

Yeah but your fobra has a fresh set of Cahones to back up the cobra accents. Hell, Probably faster than a cobra at this point. Lol
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Wasn't some guy on here getting crap because his turbo six had a GT badge? Even though it was faster. I am not saying right or wrong, to me GT isn't an engine- it's a lifestyle. While Cobra and GTXXX are specific models, not to say royalty... But a higher class. GT says I LOVE cars, I didn't just buy it because it's cute. GTXXX says I honor and love my car first.

Maybe I have to too strong of feelings on this lol.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Wasn't some guy on here getting crap because his turbo six had a GT badge? Even though it was faster. I am not saying right or wrong, to me GT isn't an engine- it's a lifestyle. While Cobra and GTXXX are specific models, not to say royalty... But a higher class. GT says I LOVE cars, I didn't just buy it because it's cute. GTXXX says I honor and love my car first.

Maybe I have to too strong of feelings on this lol.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

I just think you shouldn't alter what it was made to be. If you want a cobra, why not buy a cobra? Turning a GT into a Cobra isn't the same. That's no different than taking a base model and turning it into a v8, why not just buy the GT to begin with? Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm a coaster I suppose... unless downshifting is necessary, I don't do it.
I don't even use the clutch when rolling to a stop, I just pop it out of gear when the revs are correct.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #48
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
I have a Fobra. D:
You have GT badges or did last pic I saw of your car. Cobra bumper be damned, I have one too but I still rock the GT emblems.

IMHO, if you have a GT, have pride in having one and its just that much better when your car wtfpwns something that isn't expecting it from "just a GT".

Btw, a "Mustang GT 4.6L" badge is something one should never remove if one has one. Turns your car into the ultimate sleeper. A riced civic can get more respect than a tastefully modded 96-98 GT.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have GT badges or did last pic I saw of your car. Cobra bumper be damned, I have one too but I still rock the GT emblems.

IMHO, if you have a GT, have pride in having one and its just that much better when your car wtfpwns something that isn't expecting it from "just a GT".

Btw, a "Mustang GT 4.6L" badge is something one should never remove if one has one. Turns your car into the ultimate sleeper. A riced civic can get more respect than a tastefully modded 96-98 GT.

Roger that. Yeah.. My GT will be able to beat "stock" cobras I'm pretty sure. Gonna be interesting!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #50
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I'm a coaster I suppose... unless downshifting is necessary, I don't do it.

I don't even use the clutch when rolling to a stop, I just pop it out of gear when the revs are correct.

I do that too

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar