Tuner Ticket Defense - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2014, 12:45 AM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: New York
If I knew I was under 70 and he said 75. I would have asked to cop to see the radar detector. This is also why you need a dash cam. Speed can be calculated from one point to another. 2 points is a big deal. But if you take a defensive driving course most states will take the 2 points off.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 12:51 AM   #37
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be something different. Lol.

Here's my idea for beating a speeding ticket with a tuner:

Change the gear ratio in the tune to a lower numerical ratio so that your speedometer reads a lower speed than you are actually going. Then take the car to a shop that does speedometer calibration work and have them check the accuracy of the speedo. Have them write up what they found was wrong and that they found the problem and repaired it. Then go into court with all of the paperwork that shows the inaccuracy of your speedometer and plead INNOCENT when the judge asks you.

Ive never heard of anybody trying this but I think that it might just work...

Will not work. Ignorance is not an excuse for the law! That's what the judge will say.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:08 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That isn't "ignorance of the law". It's having a faulty speedometer. And they do indeed dismiss speeding tickets in this state if you can prove that it was a speedometer error that was the cause of your excessive speed.
And speedometers DO break or become inaccurate over time. The speedometer in my truck is off by about 7 miles per hour at freeway speeds... Fast

I think that it could work. The judge would have to be pretty "car savvy" to figure out what you're up to, or, maybe the cop, but odds are that neither of them are going to want to waste a bunch of time on it.

This may be the perfect crime...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #39
Road Trip!

Tuner Ticket Defense

Quote:
That isn't "ignorance of the law". It's having a faulty speedometer. And they do indeed dismiss speeding tickets in this state if you can prove that it was a speedometer error that was the cause of your excessive speed.

And speedometers DO break or become inaccurate over time. The speedometer in my truck is off by about 7 miles per hour at freeway speeds... Fast

I think that it could work. The judge would have to be pretty "car savvy" to figure out what you're up to, or, maybe the cop, but odds are that neither of them are going to want to waste a bunch of time on it.

This may be the perfect crime...

Got to be real careful when bringing data log info from a tuner. If the judge does not understand the tuner or why exactly the speedo is off he could call for a recess to have the issue investigated more. I saw a youtube video on a helmet law get a 30 day continuance so the state could prove their law in detail. Telling you if it is off because of aftermarket goodies. It is ignorance of the law. The court or judge will not throw it out that easy. Money is to important to them these days. I think data logging from the dealer would not be an issue, but from the owner and his hand held tuner?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
Got to be real careful when bringing data log info from a tuner. If the judge does not understand the tuner or why exactly the speedo is off he could call for a recess to have the issue investigated more. I saw a youtube video on a helmet law get a 30 day continuance so the state could prove their law in detail. Telling you if it is off because of aftermarket goodies. It is ignorance of the law. The court or judge will not throw it out that easy. Money is to important to them these days. I think data logging from the dealer would not be an issue, but from the owner and his hand held tuner?

I get what you're saying and, no, I wouldn't want to take in any data logging info.
I'm talking about just changing the gear ratio in the tune and then taking the car to a speedometer repair shop to figure out the problem and repair it. Then bring ONLY that evidence into court saying that your speedometer had an error and it has been corrected.
Traffic court judges, usually, don't have the patience to go through mountains of evidence for a simple speeding violation. In CA they are all attorneys with practices who are doing this on the side.
Also, I don't know if a speedometer error would even be a viable defense in other states. It is in California though.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tuner Ticket Defense

Seriously. Anyone really want to go around trying the law by bringing in an independent source that may not be accredited or acknowledged by the courts?

I'm sure its all just honky dory that you didn't know your speedo was off. So what? Your years of experience driving wasn't enough to clue you in that you were driving too fast? Hell i suppose even flying past slower drivers weren't enough to clue you in that you were going 20mph over? I suppose flying past other ppl on the road wasn't indication enough so now the judge will just throw the case put cuz you brought in some document from someone they don't know or trust.

Why not just admit quit fukking going 120mph on a public road and endangering unassuming citizens especially those with kids.

**** the law you hurt my kid that's in my car I will hurt you.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Do you need a hug or something Dallas?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well **** i got a ticket in my jeep for going 75 in a 70 and my speedo is off and i knew i wasn't speeding
Old 07-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #44
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
Well **** i got a ticket in my jeep for going 75 in a 70 and my speedo is off and i knew i wasn't speeding

75 in a 70??? Most cops I know don't even ticket until 10% over.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 07-09-2014, 12:50 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Old 07-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GeeTee View Post
On my way home from work today, I was pulled over for speeding. I was in a 55mph zone that I drive everyday, a long straight flat. Officer asked how fast I was doing and I said "Maybe a little over 65." He tells me point blank I was doing 75 in a 55. Writes me a hefty ticket but he at least left out the lecture and lets me go.

About 2 weeks ago I bought myself an SCT Tuner, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase and I've been using it to tweak my tune and checking my datalog everyday. I know damn well I wasn't doing 20mph over the limit. Sure enough, plug in my tuner when I get home and it says my max speed is 66.78. Still speeding, but the difference between 11mph over and 20mph is a couple points on my license and a good chunk of spending money. I'm willing to admit I was speeding, but definitely wasn't 20 over and the data from my tuner shows it.

So my question:
Anyone think that using the data from my tuner would hold up as a good defense in court?
Your going to lose. You were driving a vehicle that has been tuned but then, since it wasn't reading rite, you still were operating the vehicle on the public roads. Back to being your fault. Go down to the traffic court and find out if you can to go traffic school for the ticket.

There seems to be some of you think because the Officer has to show you the radar gun, THEY DON'T!

Lastly, for those who think that an officer has to give you over 10mph, THEY DON'T. You can be cited 1mph over.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:46 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Precisely the reason for the speedometer error defense in California. ..
Old 07-09-2014, 04:15 AM   #48
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
You don't think that it will work?

In CA speeding tickets can be dismissed if you can prove that the speedometer in your vehicle is inaccurate.
Sure...but if you are admitting you know its inacurate, and have been driving with it that way, they will laugh you out of court!
Old 07-10-2014, 01:07 AM   #49

Region: Canada
As the original poster had stated...Ticketed on a long straight stretch of road...Maybe speedlimits need to be changed....This video went viral and manage to change change speed limits in British Columbia Canada....
British Columbia Raised Speed Limits Because of Viral Video | Complex
Old 07-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Sure...but if you are admitting you know its inacurate, and have been driving with it that way, they will laugh you out of court!
First off, I admit nothing to the police or judges...

Perhaps I haven't made this clear. This speedometer error defense thing that I've been referring to, here in California... Yeah, this isn't some scheme that I just dreamed up and decided to hit you guys with to see what you all thought about it...

IT IS A COMPLETELY VIABLE DEFENSE FOR A SPEEDING TICKET IN CALIFORNIA. PERIOD.

Every traffic attorney in CA knows about this.

My sister had a ticket dismissed using this defense just a couple of years ago. Her "crime" was having taller tires installed on her SUV... Don't all women know that doing that will affect the speedometer? Really?!?!??!!? And her speedometer was reading slower than the amount that she was exceeding the speed limit.
Interesting side note here: She actually got two tickets in a week and was saying WTF?!? My sis and her husband figured out what happened and had the speedo checked and repaired. She then went to court with all of the required paperwork to prove her case. On the first ticket, when asked by the judge if she wanted to plead guilty or innocent, she foolishly replied "Guilty with an excuse". The judge listened to her story and then found her guilty of speeding... The judge then explained that because she replied "Guilty" that he had to find her guilty in that case. Had she replied "Innocent" and because of the evidence that she had provided, he would have found her innocent.

Courts... Live and learn.

She sure as hell didn't make the same mistake twice and was found innocent on the second ticket and it was dismissed.

So all of that is real and not some fantasy of mine.
Understand?

My fantasy is the tuner part!
Just as a way to get from point A to point B, you know.
The last time that I was in court, they didn't require that I incriminate myself in any way, although, I saw a lot of people do it of their own free will... Just like my sister.

I don't know. Maybe you guys are right.
I'm starting to think that the great majority of you would never be able to pull this off...
Old 07-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #51
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Lots of posts here debating (publicly I may add, where judges and law enforcement can view; they are not dumb) on how to go about tampering with your speedo calibration to beat a ticket. Do we really think the traffic courts that defend the laws in these major areas are not aware that this is possible?

Remember, If you plan to fight a ticket, the burden is on your shoulders to prove your case. Using a defense such as those mentioned in this thread are doubtful to work at best. Most likely it will only add to the cost you end up paying. If you lose, you also have to pay court costs on top of the fine, plus whatever you paid to get a speedo shop to "document that your speedo was off".

As others have mentioned, it doesn't take a nuclear scientist to figure out you are passing other vehicles at a good rate of speed on a public road; trying to tell a cop or traffic judge that "I didn't know...my speedo was off" just seems like it would insult the intellegence of the judge or police officer.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Tuner Ticket Defense

Never trust a cop. All the ones I've met we're corrupt as hell. They make up charges left and right to screw people. Too many people with a screw loose and a power trip are hired to be cops. People that are going 10 mph or fewer over the limit are not worth a cops time. But the cops are told to go out and make that money by pulling people over. Cops know where the bad crime ridden parts of cities are but they are mostly out to write tickets instead of stopping the more serious stuff. I know a few people that have had tickets for speeding and they admit to speeding. One friend said he had his cruise set to 80 in a 70 and the cop made the ticket out at 90 just to be an ***.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfore33 View Post
Never trust a cop. All the ones I've met we're corrupt as hell. They make up charges left and right to screw people. Too many people with a screw loose and a power trip are hired to be cops. People that are going 10 mph or fewer over the limit are not worth a cops time. But the cops are told to go out and make that money by pulling people over. Cops know where the bad crime ridden parts of cities are but they are mostly out to write tickets instead of stopping the more serious stuff. I know a few people that have had tickets for speeding and they admit to speeding. One friend said he had his cruise set to 80 in a 70 and the cop made the ticket out at 90 just to be an ***.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Say it ain't so!!! Cops who are power trippin dickwads? I've never met a cop I liked. The distance between public trust/respect of the cops and the their actual attitude exhibited are getting wider and wider.

Like the Speed Kills video, there needs to be a video on police training and the resulting effects it has. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1405003894.933239.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	161140
Old 07-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #54

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Say it ain't so!!! Cops who are power trippin dickwads? I've never met a cop I liked. The distance between public trust/respect of the cops and the their actual attitude exhibited are getting wider and wider.

Like the Speed Kills video, there needs to be a video on police training and the resulting effects it has. Attachment 161140
I remember in the 1970`s Our major freeway in Ontario was a simple 4 lane highway crossing the southern end of the province, linking Detroit-Windsor border to our Nations Capital Ottawa and Quebec province border..Back then the speed limit was 70 mph or 110 kph..Now roads are bigger better designed, safer cars..Cash Grab...Have been pulled over many times, must be lucky havn't had any issues with police that are chest beating lunitics..Always had fines reduced...But they are doing there job thats regulated by Goverment laws..Change in laws that govern speed policy is the issue..There are rotten apples in all walks of life and work and who we meet on the roads...Lets not coat everyone with the same blanket..
Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson006 View Post
I remember in the 1970`s Our major freeway in Ontario was a simple 4 lane highway crossing the southern end of the province, linking Detroit-Windsor border to our Nations Capital Ottawa and Quebec province border..Back then the speed limit was 70 mph or 110 kph..Now roads are bigger better designed, safer cars..Cash Grab...Have been pulled over many times, must be lucky havn't had any issues with police that are chest beating lunitics..Always had fines reduced...But they are doing there job thats regulated by Goverment laws..Change in laws that govern speed policy is the issue..There are rotten apples in all walks of life and work and who we meet on the roads...Lets not coat everyone with the same blanket..
Not coating everyone one with the same blanket. But then again there's been some interesting research about human nature and what causes otherwise good people to commit crime and other acts of violence... even murder.

I read a book called The Lucifer Effect. It was an interesting read.

From group think mob mentality to people succumbing to temptation that they know they will get away with people from all walks of life and upbringing has equal chance to be every bit bad dooshy as the dooshiest authorities out there.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:17 AM   #56
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Can't help you with the police issues in your area. More and more folks are filming and snapping pictures of a crime scene or incidents when police are going overboard with their authority. This makes the news, and attention is put forth.

As to the speeding ticket, I still think the judges and police are not going to buy into the speedo uncalibrated story. Passing folks on a highway going faster than the posted limit is obvious to most drivers. Saying your speedometer was inacurate as a defense is only going to make the officer or judge realize your trying to pull one over them.

If it were a few miles over the speed limit, maybe. In the case of the OP's post, it was a significant amount over the speed limit (75 MPH in a 55 MPH zone). Observing myself buzzing past other vehicles on a road makes it obvious (to me at least) that I'm driving over a limit, regardless of what my speedometer tells me. One rule I try to follow (difficult at times) is to try and not be the leader on a highway.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:20 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
NEVER TRUST A COP! I can't tell you all how that HURTS. I guess if some of you had met me earlier we could have been "GOOD FRIENDS!" You know, you give your license and insurance and I then give you my nice leather ticket holder, for your signature. Then you get my name and badge number. (So if you want to send my a Christmas Card, you will know which station I work out of.

Contrary to popular belief, police don't have quotas, nor do we win a toaster oven or Cappuccino machine.

Mfore33, People that are going 10 mph or fewer over the limit are not worth a cops time. Yes they are. It's called PROBABLE CAUSE. Since your speeding I know have a reason to pull you over. Cops don't get kick backs for using day courts or night courts. They do get overtime for going to trial. And if only you hadn't been speeding, they might have had the time to go to some other crime ridden neighborhoods.

Almost everyone in her "*****ING" was doing something against the law to begin with. This defense is to complicated to bring into court, to many things you can't prove. Drive the speed limit, take off all the ILLEGAL exhaust systems, tinting and try to pay attention to the road your driving on.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
Being a LEO, it sucks that I get the pleasure of being grouped into some dickwad category etc. I make stops. Most I just let go if they have everything in order. If that bs traffic stop leads to a drug arrest, which happens often, perhaps in the future I should let them go, after all, I'm just being an *******, right? The ones making the comments about law officers truly have no concept what we deal with day to day for pitiful money. I actually don't like doing traffic. I can think of a few calls that will never leave my memory. A 3 year old shot in the head, I was first on scene. I did CPR and continued during an ambulance ride. I didn't have to. Medics could have done it. But I cared. What a dick of me to do that.
People should think or educate themselves before making comments. Traffic is literally like 2% of my job.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

No. You guys are right. We should all just conform and do as we are told... It will be much easier on us in the long run.

Exactly what they were telling the German Jews in the late 1930's
Old 07-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to olds442111
And if that's what you choose to do, go for it. I don't agree with that. I'm simply saying that it's simple minded and ignorant to say that everyone with a certain job is any of the things mentioned.
I've had poor experiences with people who sell auto parts but I don't think that everyone who sells auto parts is a complete dumb ***. There's a bad apple in every profession. Don't group everyone up.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
You need band. This message need tagged. I have noticed some members get a... get out of jail free in the forum. Joking or not it is not right to threaten to kill someone!!!

It's not a threat. No one's killed my kid by driving reckless. Hell I don't even kids. Sometimes a strong message full of emotions is needed. Cuz ppl don't care sometimes enough to listen.

My friend's kid got killed in her car cuz some idiot decided it was fun to drive 100mph on the highway weaving in and out. The other car took off. Not sure if he hit her or not cuz it might have been she was got scared and lost control. Another car side swiped her when she was spinning and hit the railing.

It's not necessarily you driving fast and have to hit someone to cause an accident. Not everyone is a great driver with impeccable skills. People can swerve just by getting scared.

Tag me all you want Doby. Keep on racing Doby. I just hope you don't kill anyone but yourself if you decide to race on my streets.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:18 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

I can guarantee you that's not me, Olds. I'm one of the more obstinate SOB's that walk this planet.
That wasn't really aimed at you, it was more towards the very last sentence in Mtangs post. But, since you felt the need to comment on a few things...

The, as you put it, "BS traffic stop", is what really gripes me. I've been pulled over numerous times for just that, a "BS traffic stop". Basically, just to check, and make sure that I "have everything in order", sniff around, see if I've been drinking, stuff like that. Usually, under the guise of my missing front license plate, which, by the way, is still missing because I've never gotten a ticket for it in the 15 years that the cops have been using that excuse. That's only when they can see the front of the truck, though. I had one guy tell me that my license plate light was burnt out one time... It wasn't. This is a good one: I got pulled over recently, because two CHP officers were bored and decided to run my plates, which were current and legal, and they got one of the digits wrong. The plates came back as belonging to a different vehicle that hadn't been registered for five years... So there I sat on the side of the freeway, waiting for two "brain surgeons" to figure out something that they should have double checked in the first place.
I have plenty more, first hand, examples.

I don't like having my time wasted by ANYONE.... But me.

The reason that you LEO's get lumped into one big, unsavory, group is because of the training you guys receive. When you have the badge on, you're trained to act in a way that allows you to do your job. Since all of you receive similar training... Well, you get the picture.
I know that most of you guys act much differently when off duty.
Don't complain about the pay or the working conditions either Olds. Nobody is twisting your arm to do it, and, in reality, you have one of the physically easiest and safest jobs that exist. Its the mental game of dealing with the public, at their worst, that's tough about your job. And I know several retired police officers and NONE of them seem to be having any financial problems and are doing quite well... Look at Mtang. He's not even 60 and comfortably retired.

I don't think that most of these guys have a problem when they get a ticket that they deserve, I know I dont. It's all of the extracurricular things that sometimes go down... That's when the problems start.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can guarantee you that's not me, Olds. I'm one of the more obstinate SOB's that walk this planet.
That wasn't really aimed at you, it was more towards the very last sentence in Mtangs post. But, since you felt the need to comment on a few things...

The, as you put it, "BS traffic stop", is what really gripes me. I've been pulled over numerous times for just that, a "BS traffic stop". Basically, just to check, and make sure that I "have everything in order", sniff around, see if I've been drinking, stuff like that. Usually, under the guise of my missing front license plate, which, by the way, is still missing because I've never gotten a ticket for it in the 15 years that the cops have been using that excuse. That's only when they can see the front of the truck, though. I had one guy tell me that my license plate light was burnt out one time... It wasn't. This is a good one: I got pulled over recently, because two CHP officers were bored and decided to run my plates, which were current and legal, and they got one of the digits wrong. The plates came back as belonging to a different vehicle that hadn't been registered for five years... So there I sat on the side of the freeway, waiting for two "brain surgeons" to figure out something that they should have double checked in the first place.
I have plenty more, first hand, examples.

I don't like having my time wasted by ANYONE.... But me.

The reason that you LEO's get lumped into one big, unsavory, group is because of the training you guys receive. When you have the badge on, you're trained to act in a way that allows you to do your job. Since all of you receive similar training... Well, you get the picture.
I know that most of you guys act much differently when off duty.
Don't complain about the pay or the working conditions either Olds. Nobody is twisting your arm to do it, and, in reality, you have one of the physically easiest and safest jobs that exist. Its the mental game of dealing with the public, at their worst, that's tough about your job. And I know several retired police officers and NONE of them seem to be having any financial problems and are doing quite well... Look at Mtang. He's not even 60 and comfortably retired.

I don't think that most of these guys have a problem when they get a ticket that they deserve, I know I dont. It's all of the extracurricular things that sometimes go down... That's when the problems start.
I don't agree with you about LEOs having the physically easiest and safest job statement. And I hate cops in general not as people but as an institution.

They have to deal with **** that I don't ever wanna be faced with on a somewhat daily basis.

So even though I hate them as an institution I will still obey them because pissing them off is not in my best interest.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Ok maybe eating donuts is not the most physically taxing job description ever but the other 20% of the time they do have to deal with criminals and dead bodies... 18% actually cuz some LEO here said they spend 2% on traffic enforcement lol
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar