Tuner Ticket Defense - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #1

Region: Maine
Tuner Ticket Defense

On my way home from work today, I was pulled over for speeding. I was in a 55mph zone that I drive everyday, a long straight flat. Officer asked how fast I was doing and I said "Maybe a little over 65." He tells me point blank I was doing 75 in a 55. Writes me a hefty ticket but he at least left out the lecture and lets me go.

About 2 weeks ago I bought myself an SCT Tuner, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase and I've been using it to tweak my tune and checking my datalog everyday. I know damn well I wasn't doing 20mph over the limit. Sure enough, plug in my tuner when I get home and it says my max speed is 66.78. Still speeding, but the difference between 11mph over and 20mph is a couple points on my license and a good chunk of spending money. I'm willing to admit I was speeding, but definitely wasn't 20 over and the data from my tuner shows it.

So my question:
Anyone think that using the data from my tuner would hold up as a good defense in court?

Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96GeeTee View Post
On my way home from work today, I was pulled over for speeding. I was in a 55mph zone that I drive everyday, a long straight flat. Officer asked how fast I was doing and I said "Maybe a little over 65." He tells me point blank I was doing 75 in a 55. Writes me a hefty ticket but he at least left out the lecture and lets me go.

About 2 weeks ago I bought myself an SCT Tuner, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase and I've been using it to tweak my tune and checking my datalog everyday. I know damn well I wasn't doing 20mph over the limit. Sure enough, plug in my tuner when I get home and it says my max speed is 66.78. Still speeding, but the difference between 11mph over and 20mph is a couple points on my license and a good chunk of spending money. I'm willing to admit I was speeding, but definitely wasn't 20 over and the data from my tuner shows it.

So my question:
Anyone think that using the data from my tuner would hold up as a good defense in court?
Point blank, it's traffic court. The Judge doesn't care, they have several other people to get to. It's not like you murdered someone. That being said, I still don't think it would be defensible, not a lawyer but if it's something you can alter (by deleting and relogging the data) it wouldn't hold up in my opinion.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #3

Not worried about the legal ramifications or fine so much as the points on my license and how it will hit my insurance. A $215 ticket is a couple less nights at the bar for the next month, but watching my insurance skyrocket could mean a lot more over a longer period of time. Difference between 15+mph over and 14 or less over is four points in my state, I think. Even more aggravating knowing outright that I wasn't doing 20 over. I'd rather pay the court costs than the insurance costs.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Yeah, I gotta agree with JoeyM91. I fought a ticket awhile back, I was in the right. The judge even had to tell the cop what the offense was cause he couldn't remember. They found me guilty since it was my word against the cop.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
you can try...heck the Officer may not even show up. Show up, plead your case politley be humble and contrite and if that fails tell them "it's only a V6"

good luck

is the tuner speed calibrated to your tire size/rear end?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #6

Yes, tuner is all calibrated properly. When the officer asked how fast I was going I even said "about 65" too.

Sadly I think both parties knew the true speed I was going, but he saw a young 20-something kid in a GT and wanted to write an expensive ticket to ensure I wouldn't speed at all again. :\
Old 07-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
They will take a cops word and his radar logs more seriously than an aftermarket tuner....if they care. But I've been to traffic court, it's a joke. The cop probably won't even show up.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 07-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
yeah any ticket you get go to court. If the officer doesn't show up and you argue your point they will just dismiss it. If he is there then go to the justice of peace ( could be called something else in your court house, a guy who will give u legal advice and stand for you) hes free public defender and they will usually get your ticket lowered for you.
Heck I got pulled over doing 173 in a 100 and got a summons to court ahha no ticket just a court date. Pleaded guilty and the judge recommended I go speak with the public defender.. I talked to him he stood for me and had said. Not guilty to 173 but guilty to 140. They accepted it I payed a heavy fine and lost a few points.. If the judge would have taken my guilty plea I would have lost my licence for sure
Old 07-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #9

Yeah, I'm probably going to try to fight it. Like I said, I'm not worried about court costs so much as insurance costs. Even if I could get it reduced to the "true" speed I'd be happy. Part of me wonders if the cop didn't do a visual guess at my speed, even though the ticket is marked as radar-detected.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Hmmmmmm....I was accused of doing 16 over the speed limit (no radar or pacing proof) spent 2 days in jail and car got impounded. I was also treated like a criminal when I was pulled over. No asking for L&R,he yelled at me from his vehicle to step out and walk back to his car with my hands on my head and then came up and just straight hooked me up...no explanation. I had to ask WTF was going on. He admitted he wasn't using radar and arrested me for reckless driving. He also added in his report that he thought I was gonna run from him.........BTW, I've never had a speeding ticket ever. He also claimed improper lane changes.....I made one lane change. This was in January and they have ignored my lawyers many request to get his dash cam video and this lazy **** has not even filed the tickets for no front plate,no registration and no inspection. Lawyer said he has the right to sit on it for 2 years and if nothing happens it will be dropped. I drive for a living so this has been a issue for me seeing how it's a PENDING charge.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
I did see a case on the news before about a teen that got pulled over for speeding, but they had an app on their phone that tracked their mph and recorded it. They proved that they didn't speed at all and it got dropped.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Old 07-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #12

I've had mostly good luck with cops in my 5-6 years driving. When I was 18 I got a ticket for 92 in a 65. Since then I've had warnings for speed a few times (no more than 5-ish over), a few routine pullovers for platelights, and a warning for "excessive acceleration."

Having said that, I deserved all those tickets/warnings. What irks me about this one is just the idea that my ticket was marked up by a good 10mph.

Honestly, part of me thinks I should have made a run for it. I was about 300 feet from my driveway which is a long side-road off the road I was pulled over on. The cop was in an unmarked Ram pickup - the time he got turned around, I'm sure I could have made it and dove off the road out of sight. (Of course, in reality I know I made the right decision by pulling over, but it's nice to play "what if")

Edit: Interesting stuff Soccer.. I'm at least sure of the fact that the data off my tuner won't HURT my case if I go to court. No way I could make things worst, heh.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've had mostly good luck with cops in my 5-6 years driving. When I was 18 I got a ticket for 92 in a 65. Since then I've had warnings for speed a few times (no more than 5-ish over), a few routine pullovers for platelights, and a warning for "excessive acceleration."

Having said that, I deserved all those tickets/warnings. What irks me about this one is just the idea that my ticket was marked up by a good 10mph.

Honestly, part of me thinks I should have made a run for it. I was about 300 feet from my driveway which is a long side-road off the road I was pulled over on. The cop was in an unmarked Ram pickup - the time he got turned around, I'm sure I could have made it and dove off the road out of sight. (Of course, in reality I know I made the right decision by pulling over, but it's nice to play "what if")

Edit: Interesting stuff Soccer.. I'm at least sure of the fact that the data off my tuner won't HURT my case if I go to court. No way I could make things worst, heh.
You can sure as hell try, but just don't get your hopes up. Just hope for a good judge or a cop that doesn't show lol
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 07-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I'd challange it. If the officer has no proof, just his "word", and you offer some proof, at the very least, they should reduce the charge/fine/points.

If you do nothing, then that's treated as an admission of guilt.

Set a date and challange it. Most traffic court cases have a free lawyer who collects common cases, such as speeding, and will instantly offer/provide a reduced charge; this is to reduce the amount of cases that have to be presented to the judge for the day. Most folks take this. In your case, you could go further and talk with the judge. Be polite, dress decent (don't show up with dirty jeans and some shirt that has a disrespectful slogan on it). That goes a long way to the judge as well.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboCobra View Post
yeah any ticket you get go to court. If the officer doesn't show up and you argue your point they will just dismiss it. If he is there then go to the justice of peace ( could be called something else in your court house, a guy who will give u legal advice and stand for you) hes free public defender and they will usually get your ticket lowered for you.
Heck I got pulled over doing 173 in a 100 and got a summons to court ahha no ticket just a court date. Pleaded guilty and the judge recommended I go speak with the public defender.. I talked to him he stood for me and had said. Not guilty to 173 but guilty to 140. They accepted it I payed a heavy fine and lost a few points.. If the judge would have taken my guilty plea I would have lost my licence for sure
173mph? Or is that kmph? Did u really have to take a **** that badly to drive 173mph? Lol
Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Go to the DA office and ask for him/her to reduce your ticket. If you have not had a ticket in a long time they will usually cut you a break if you just ask them in person. Take cash with you to pay your ticket then and there. You cant leave and go get money and come back.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ13GT View Post
Go to the DA office and ask for him/her to reduce your ticket. If you have not had a ticket in a long time they will usually cut you a break if you just ask them in person. Take cash with you to pay your ticket then and there. You cant leave and go get money and come back.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Go this route. But first make sure that automotive mod laws in your state dont get you in more trouble. Ignorance is no excuse in courts. Not calling you ignorant at all I just mean that Not knowing a law or not knowing your breaking it isnt considered a defense. They consider it your responsibility to know it is off like if you switch rim size. Hope it works for you man.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #18

So I ran a driving-record check on myself tonight, I had thought I had a few demerits on my license from a previous ticket (91 in a 65) from a few years ago - turns out that because I was under 21 years of age at that time, I didn't get any demerits at all (I did get a 30 day license suspension.)

Since points are what the insurance companies look at, and I have -2 on my license this ticket will bring me up to 4 (20mph over is worth 6 demerits) after the 4 are on my record, I plan on doing the quick online "defensive driving" course they offer in my state for $30 and getting my demerits reduced to 1.

So long story short, I'll just be paying the ticket off and taking the course to reduce my points to 1 instead of trying to mess around in court.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
So I ran a driving-record check on myself tonight, I had thought I had a few demerits on my license from a previous ticket (91 in a 65) from a few years ago - turns out that because I was under 21 years of age at that time, I didn't get any demerits at all (I did get a 30 day license suspension.)

Since points are what the insurance companies look at, and I have -2 on my license this ticket will bring me up to 4 (20mph over is worth 6 demerits) after the 4 are on my record, I plan on doing the quick online "defensive driving" course they offer in my state for $30 and getting my demerits reduced to 1.

So long story short, I'll just be paying the ticket off and taking the course to reduce my points to 1 instead of trying to mess around in court.

It won't hurt to go by the DAs office and ask to reduce or drop your ticket. You are asking for a prayer for judgement pretty much. The worst they can do is tell you no. It's all kind of a game really. You are just pretty much telling them you will be good for now on and they will ignore this violation as long as you don't make any more. I just asked for them to reduce my 53 in a 35 and they reduced it to an inoperable equipment or something like that. Still had to pay a small fine but no points or anything. The catch is if you get another ticket in less than 2 years you will have those points applied to your record.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Always go to court and either try to fight it or speak to the DA. The last thing they want to do is go to trial. Also, if the officer can't make it to court the case is dismissed and you get off free.

My father is a judge and on his traffic court days he does around 100 cases. Only about 1/8 of them go to trial and about half of those are dismissed for no show police officers.

The DA will usually always cut a deal especially if you have a fairly clean record. If it does get to trial you can certainly use the tuner as evidence to help your case and the judge will most likely reduce the ticket. Another good tip to ask is when the last time the radar gun was calibrated. If its been a long time you can say that "it may have been off at the time of the ticket and my tuner shows a different max speed for my trip."

Again, never just roll over and pay the ticket.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have a friend that is a state trooper here in Tennessee. He swears they are supposed to calibrate their radars daily and keep a log of it. I'd honesty never heard that until he said it. It would be interesting to know before you went to court tho to ask and see if it is true. In this case you could ask for proof that his radar was calibrated.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
I have a friend that is a state trooper here in Tennessee. He swears they are supposed to calibrate their radars daily and keep a log of it. I'd honesty never heard that until he said it. It would be interesting to know before you went to court tho to ask and see if it is true. In this case you could ask for proof that his radar was calibrated.

Radar detectors are in fact calibrated daily.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
Old 07-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Then I was ask to see the log for evidence.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:40 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Hmmmmmm....I was accused of doing 16 over the speed limit (no radar or pacing proof) spent 2 days in jail and car got impounded. I was also treated like a criminal when I was pulled over. No asking for L&R,he yelled at me from his vehicle to step out and walk back to his car with my hands on my head and then came up and just straight hooked me up...no explanation. I had to ask WTF was going on. He admitted he wasn't using radar and arrested me for reckless driving. He also added in his report that he thought I was gonna run from him.........BTW, I've never had a speeding ticket ever. He also claimed improper lane changes.....I made one lane change. This was in January and they have ignored my lawyers many request to get his dash cam video and this lazy **** has not even filed the tickets for no front plate,no registration and no inspection. Lawyer said he has the right to sit on it for 2 years and if nothing happens it will be dropped. I drive for a living so this has been a issue for me seeing how it's a PENDING charge.
Here in CA you need to be going either twice the posted speed limit (City) or in excess of 100 mph (Freeway) to "qualify" for a reckless driving charge. And it is at the officers discretion whether or not you go to jail.
You live in Texas don't you Dan?
I can't understand how anything that you have described could bring on a reckless charge, much less, two days in jail.
Something doesn't add up here.
Would you mind elaborating a bit from the start of this incident?
Old 07-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be something different. Lol.

Here's my idea for beating a speeding ticket with a tuner:
Change the gear ratio in the tune to a lower numerical ratio so that your speedometer reads a lower speed than you are actually going. Then take the car to a shop that does speedometer calibration work and have them check the accuracy of the speedo. Have them write up what they found was wrong and that they found the problem and repaired it. Then go into court with all of the paperwork that shows the inaccuracy of your speedometer and plead INNOCENT when the judge asks you.
Ive never heard of anybody trying this but I think that it might just work...
Old 07-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Tuner Ticket Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
When I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be something different. Lol.

Here's my idea for beating a speeding ticket with a tuner:
Change the gear ratio in the tune to a lower numerical ratio so that your speedometer reads a lower speed than you are actually going. Then take the car to a shop that does speedometer calibration work and have them check the accuracy of the speedo. Have them write up what they found was wrong and that they found the problem and repaired it. Then go into court with all of the paperwork that shows the inaccuracy of your speedometer and plead INNOCENT when the judge asks you.
Ive never heard of anybody trying this but I think that it might just work...
I LOL'ed at this. I thought you were serious about doing this until the very last sentence.

Then I LOL'ed again 😄
Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I LOL'ed at this. I thought you were serious about doing this until the very last sentence.

Then I LOL'ed again 😄
You don't think that it will work?

In CA speeding tickets can be dismissed if you can prove that the speedometer in your vehicle is inaccurate.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't think that it will work?

In CA speeding tickets can be dismissed if you can prove that the speedometer in your vehicle is inaccurate.
That's surprising I lived in Cali for 3 years. The court system's a joke. All they want is your money. If you have a warrant for your arrest all they ask is if you can pay a certain fine and then the judge will stay the warrant.

I'm surprised cuz it don't take much to get your speedo wrong. You don't need to change gears just the tune.

Maybe the authorities don't know that I guess. Lol
Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #29
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
That's surprising I lived in Cali for 3 years. The court system's a joke. All they want is your money. If you have a warrant for your arrest all they ask is if you can pay a certain fine and then the judge will stay the warrant.

I'm surprised cuz it don't take much to get your speedo wrong. You don't need to change gears just the tune.

Seriously? My sister got pulled over in our truck for speeding (not that high over) and got let off with a warning, the speedo in that thing is off also. Let me just change my speedo setting in the Mustang to the 3.73 setting LOL

HID end all thread
Old 07-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #30
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Here in CA you need to be going either twice the posted speed limit (City) or in excess of 100 mph (Freeway) to "qualify" for a reckless driving charge. And it is at the officers discretion whether or not you go to jail.
You live in Texas don't you Dan?
I can't understand how anything that you have described could bring on a reckless charge, much less, two days in jail.
Something doesn't add up here.
Would you mind elaborating a bit from the start of this incident?
So what would 3x the limit be?

HID end all thread
Old 07-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha.
I said "Change the gear ratio IN the tune".
It could also be done with taller tires.
Your right about the California judicial system and bureaucracies in general though...
Old 07-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
So what would 3x the limit be?
If your really going fast, change it back to the 3.27's.

3X?
If those are freeway speeds that you're talking about, hell, I wouldn't even slow down for a cop.
There's this thing called the "3 minute rule". If you can get far enough ahead, AND out of the officers sight within 3 minutes, the odds of you being able to outrun them, SUCCESFULLY, are greatly increased. They have a hard time directing the other Law enforcement officers as to which direction that you are heading when they lose eye contact with you and anything less than three minutes, usually, isn't enough time to "rally" the troops, but causes some initial confusion. That's if the officer even begins making radio calls during that first 3 minutes.
You better have a plan and get the hell off of the road that you're driving on though...

Dont ask how I know this.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If your really going fast, change it back to the 3.27's.

3X?
If those are freeway speeds that you're talking about, hell, I wouldn't even slow down for a cop.
There's this thing called the "3 minute rule". If you can get far enough ahead, AND out of the officers sight within 3 minutes, the odds of you being able to outrun them, SUCCESFULLY, are greatly increased. They have a hard time directing the other Law enforcement officers as to which direction that you are heading when they lose eye contact with you and anything less than three minutes, usually, isn't enough time to "rally" the troops, but causes some initial confusion. That's if the officer even begins making radio calls during that first 3 minutes.
You better have a plan and get the hell off of the road that you're driving on though...

Dont ask how I know this.
lol that would be a good idea if you REALLY wanted to find out what it's like to be pit maneuvered into a guard rail then tazered out of your car
Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
lol that would be a good idea if you REALLY wanted to find out what it's like to be pit maneuvered into a guard rail then tazered out of your car
Lol.
And that is the risk that you take if anyone wants to try it...

Choose your battles carefully.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol.
And that is the risk that you take if anyone wants to try it...

Choose your battles carefully.
Blaze of glory lol
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar