Looking to keep my 06 gt forever! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Minnesota
Looking to keep my 06 gt forever!

I'm 25 and have an 06 gt. Earlier this year I was getting jumpy to get a 5.0 or an s550 5.0, but now I want to keep mine forever

Its got 40k miles atm, been garaged kept from day 1, however it saw its first and last winter this last year because I was having some financial/moving issues but no more winters!

I'm following the ford service manual for maintenance and wash+wax the car myself every week. Treat it like a ferrari, because it is one to me

was wondering what else I could do to make it last? I calculated I will probably be driving it 5k miles a year and stored in winter months. So to reach 200k will take another 32 years at which point I will be 57. And then 300k miles I will be 77, but who knows if I will even live that long. But I hear lotta people can make these cars last 300k miles, some even more!

Some people tell me if you want to store a car forever, you should just keep it garaged and only drive it once a week at max, but I feel like what's the point if you never get to enjoy it, so I think 5k miles a year is a good balance between not driving it at all, and driving it like crazy.

So hoping when I'm 50 I can enjoy the heck out of my stang and stuff. Not crazy for power anymore, my 03 GT was s/c'ed with full bolt ons, but I got this car 100% stock performance (with awesome appearance mods) because I want to get 100% reliability. And I'm not as fastnfurious as I used to be and it has more than enough power for me.

Any other tips y'all can give me? I like this idea because I talk to so many people in their 40s and 50s that say "oh I wish I had kept my 66 GT/impala/etc... cus even though newer/faster models come out, you make it your own and it means something special, and they wont ever make another car like that again.
AngelsBoyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Do you seriously wax your car every week? I can't imagine that would be good for the paint long term. Most places I've read recommend 3-4 times a year.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:10 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'd say keep it and then buy another one, pass it down to someone in your family ...

Big Jon -
Black 2008 GT "to punish and enslave" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Do you seriously wax your car every week? I can't imagine that would be good for the paint long term. Most places I've read recommend 3-4 times a year.
Yeah but not always a full detail, 2 times a year I do a hand wax, polish, clay bar etc - and once a week I do a wash + dry + spray on wax, which I hear is good and its all on the clear coat and keeps my car super shiny and the paint feels soft as silk - whenever people touch it they comment that its as if it rolled out the factory (I keep it in the garage whenever I'm at home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
I'd say keep it and then buy another one, pass it down to someone in your family ...

Big Jon -

I would but I can't afford to keep 2 mustangs or have the room for them. gonna keep this car and my winter car, which I may try to make last forever too lol
Old 07-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsBoyfriend View Post
Yeah but not always a full detail, 2 times a year I do a hand wax, polish, clay bar etc - and once a week I do a wash + dry + spray on wax, which I hear is good and its all on the clear coat and keeps my car super shiny and the paint feels soft as silk - whenever people touch it they comment that its as if it rolled out the factory (I keep it in the garage whenever I'm at home)

I would but I can't afford to keep 2 mustangs or have the room for them. gonna keep this car and my winter car, which I may try to make last forever too lol

Ahhhhh man ... I got plans to move up north soon and shutter everytime I think about having to put my baby up for the winter. I'm not used to that in Houston lol

Big Jon -
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
Ahhhhh man ... I got plans to move up north soon and shutter everytime I think about having to put my baby up for the winter. I'm not used to that in Houston lol

Big Jon -
ROFL I moved from houston to Minnessota couple years ago, pretty big difference! The area I live in you pretty much just see winter beaters but when spring/summer swings around, its got SO many rare classics its unbelievable! yenko camaros, bel airs, 66 stangs - I pull out my stang this spring looking to feel pimp, and they were all ****tin on me with their mint condition classics! and I could see their girlfriends and them laughing at me as I drove by.

I'm hoping one day my 06 GT will be a classic and I can do the same thing, its 2014 now and my GT is 8 years old, how long do you guys think until it becomes a classic? I know its gonna have a downhill phase like the foxes and s95s where s197s are gonna be going for 5k$ and people will think im just a cheap loser but I'm hoping it will swing around to give mine classic pimp status one day, and Im gonna keep mine in mint condition so that should be a plus. When do you think the good days of my s197 will come? I'm not having much hope though because even foxes still arent considered classics and are going for cheap so by the time my s197 is gonna be considered a classic I will probably be too old to drive it

already they are dropping value like a rock since the 5.0 and now the s550s. but mine only has 30k miles but I'm gonna enjoy driving it a lot regardless and take the best care of it, I hear some people can make these cars last 300k or more miles, so with 5k miles a year it should last me the rest of my life.

edit: i hear classics are after 20 years old, and some clubs recognize classics after 30 years - but do I have to wait for the 2009 model (last retro s197) to be 20 years old for mine to be classic? or do i have to wait for the 2014 (last s197) to be a classic? or will my 06 be a classic in 20 years?
Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I'm gonna keep mine too!

I have a 3.7 V6 2012 MCA and plan on keeping it until I die. I just had a chance at the deal of a lifetime on trading my 2012 and $10,000 out the door for a 2014 new GT premium with Brembo brakes and just could not say good by to my 2012 V6. I had my title in the car heading up to the dealers and turned around and went back home after really thinking about what I was doing. I bought Red Ryder because it was "LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT" It has everything I want in a car and spending $5,000 a cylinder for two extra cylinders and less MPG plus higher insurance and increased maintenance cost was just not worth it to me. The prestige of owning a V8 is not important to me because nobody ever has asked me what engine is in my car. Most people just assume it is a V8 by the looks of it. I still have to look at my Mustang when walking past the garage door at least ten time a day/night. Just think, In 2032 it will then be a classic and I'm sure I will still love it as much as I do now.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
I'm 25 and have an 06 gt. Earlier this year I was getting jumpy to get a 5.0 or an s550 5.0, but now I want to keep mine forever

Its got 40k miles atm, been garaged kept from day 1, however it saw its first and last winter this last year because I was having some financial/moving issues but no more winters!

I'm following the ford service manual for maintenance and wash+wax the car myself every week. Treat it like a ferrari, because it is one to me

was wondering what else I could do to make it last? I calculated I will probably be driving it 5k miles a year and stored in winter months. So to reach 200k will take another 32 years at which point I will be 57. And then 300k miles I will be 77, but who knows if I will even live that long. But I hear lotta people can make these cars last 300k miles, some even more!

Some people tell me if you want to store a car forever, you should just keep it garaged and only drive it once a week at max, but I feel like what's the point if you never get to enjoy it, so I think 5k miles a year is a good balance between not driving it at all, and driving it like crazy.

So hoping when I'm 50 I can enjoy the heck out of my stang and stuff. Not crazy for power anymore, my 03 GT was s/c'ed with full bolt ons, but I got this car 100% stock performance (with awesome appearance mods) because I want to get 100% reliability. And I'm not as fastnfurious as I used to be and it has more than enough power for me.

Any other tips y'all can give me? I like this idea because I talk to so many people in their 40s and 50s that say "oh I wish I had kept my 66 GT/impala/etc... cus even though newer/faster models come out, you make it your own and it means something special, and they wont ever make another car like that again.

Even if you keep your car that long, you will not continue to put 5k per year on it. As years go on and your situation changes, you will have other vehicles you will like to drive and use this one less and less. Not because you will lose interest in the car, just because that's the way it is.

I bought my '79 T/A back in 1989 with 71,000 miles. Right now I have 95k on the car. Most of those miles went on in the first couple years. Even though I had another car, it was the only cool car I had so when I wanted to cruise around, that one was it. I bought my first convertible in 1991, so that was so much fun it was easier to split cruising time duty between the two. In 2003 I sold that convertible and picked up my '95 T/A convertible with 67,000. That car is a blast and currently has 155k on it. A couple years ago I used that car less and less because I didn't want to get it rained on anymore so I found myself driving my truck more and more, so I added the Mustang convertible last summer. Now that's the car I jump in a lot and am keeping the miles down on the '95 also, but it doesn't bother me because I still have something fun to use.

My '79 T/A will never see 100k while I own it, I just don't use it that much anymore but still would never sell it. My '95 T/A may see 200k some day, but that is questionable, however, I have no plans of selling that one either. Living in Wisconsin, all three of my cars are parked for the Winter so that also helps to keep the miles down.

The longer you keep your car and keep it looking good, eventually it will naturally become a definite head turner as there will be less and less of them around, so people will really notice it. Don't think just because prices are going down on the car you own because it is several years old that people will think you are a low-life and bought it because it is cheap. If it looks good, people aren't going to think that. They might even think you bought it new and have taken great care of it.

Over the last 25 years of owning my '79, I have literally had dozens of people tell me about the one they used to have or friend that used to have one and how they wish they never got rid of it. I'm glad I am not one of those people. You don't have to be either. Just hang onto it and take care of it. Time is on your side, just be patient. And don't wish the years away so that collectible day comes sooner, just enjoy the time with your car while getting there, because you'll never get those years back.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have a 3.7 V6 2012 MCA and plan on keeping it until I die. I just had a chance at the deal of a lifetime on trading my 2012 and $10,000 out the door for a 2014 new GT premium with Brembo brakes and just could not say good by to my 2012 V6. I had my title in the car heading up to the dealers and turned around and went back home after really thinking about what I was doing. I bought Red Ryder because it was "LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT" It has everything I want in a car and spending $5,000 a cylinder for two extra cylinders and less MPG plus higher insurance and increased maintenance cost was just not worth it to me. The prestige of owning a V8 is not important to me because nobody ever has asked me what engine is in my car. Most people just assume it is a V8 by the looks of it. I still have to look at my Mustang when walking past the garage door at least ten time a day/night. Just think, In 2032 it will then be a classic and I'm sure I will still love it as much as I do now.
Ronnie
I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!

I fell in love with my car as well and last year I was looking at trading in for a 13 5.0, and the 5.0 was gorgeous and FAST, but I would have loved to have it, but not at the cost of losing my 4.6, so I vowed to keep it, but been shaky lately cus every time i meet someone i hear "oh, my neighbor should have gotten a 5.0, THOSE things are beasts." I often let others get to me, but in the end it shouldn't matter, our time in this life is limited and best to focus on making ourselves happy. I rather have my car over a car that I don't like but is faster/newer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Even if you keep your car that long, you will not continue to put 5k per year on it. As years go on and your situation changes, you will have other vehicles you will like to drive and use this one less and less. Not because you will lose interest in the car, just because that's the way it is.

I bought my '79 T/A back in 1989 with 71,000 miles. Right now I have 95k on the car. Most of those miles went on in the first couple years. Even though I had another car, it was the only cool car I had so when I wanted to cruise around, that one was it. I bought my first convertible in 1991, so that was so much fun it was easier to split cruising time duty between the two. In 2003 I sold that convertible and picked up my '95 T/A convertible with 67,000. That car is a blast and currently has 155k on it. A couple years ago I used that car less and less because I didn't want to get it rained on anymore so I found myself driving my truck more and more, so I added the Mustang convertible last summer. Now that's the car I jump in a lot and am keeping the miles down on the '95 also, but it doesn't bother me because I still have something fun to use.

My '79 T/A will never see 100k while I own it, I just don't use it that much anymore but still would never sell it. My '95 T/A may see 200k some day, but that is questionable, however, I have no plans of selling that one either. Living in Wisconsin, all three of my cars are parked for the Winter so that also helps to keep the miles down.

The longer you keep your car and keep it looking good, eventually it will naturally become a definite head turner as there will be less and less of them around, so people will really notice it. Don't think just because prices are going down on the car you own because it is several years old that people will think you are a low-life and bought it because it is cheap. If it looks good, people aren't going to think that. They might even think you bought it new and have taken great care of it.

Over the last 25 years of owning my '79, I have literally had dozens of people tell me about the one they used to have or friend that used to have one and how they wish they never got rid of it. I'm glad I am not one of those people. You don't have to be either. Just hang onto it and take care of it. Time is on your side, just be patient. And don't wish the years away so that collectible day comes sooner, just enjoy the time with your car while getting there, because you'll never get those years back.

Agreed!

thanks a lot for your posts guys, you have really helped me and made me feel better
Old 07-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!

I fell in love with my car as well and last year I was looking at trading in for a 13 5.0, and the 5.0 was gorgeous and FAST, but I would have loved to have it, but not at the cost of losing my 4.6, so I vowed to keep it, but been shaky lately cus every time i meet someone i hear "oh, my neighbor should have gotten a 5.0, THOSE things are beasts." I often let others get to me, but in the end it shouldn't matter, our time in this life is limited and best to focus on making ourselves happy. I rather have my car over a car that I don't like but is faster/newer.

Agreed!

thanks a lot for your posts guys, you have really helped me and made me feel better

Money can buy a lot of things, but one thing it can't buy is the time of ownership you have in your car. Once it's gone, the calendar starts all over again.

GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My 7th grade teacher had a Red 67 Mustang that was about 10 years old at that time (Do the math). I saw her still driving the same car about a year ago. It still looked just as good as it did back then and it has been her daily driver for 47 years!
I think that it's cool to see well taken care of, original, survivors still driving around.

Just drive it and take good care of it and, most of all, Enjoy It!
The time will fly by...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
My 7th grade teacher had a Red 67 Mustang that was about 10 years old at that time (Do the math). I saw her still driving the same car about a year ago. It still looked just as good as it did back then and it has been her daily driver for 47 years!
I think that it's cool to see well taken care of, original, survivors still driving around.

Just drive it and take good care of it and, most of all, Enjoy It!
The time will fly by...
You just gave away your age for those who are willing to do some math lol.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar