Drifting - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:48 PM   #1
Dom
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Send a message via AIM to Dom
Drifting

Why doesn't anyone ever talk about it? Don't tell me non of you haven't ever done it. It's not a import thing. Domestics started it first. They just called it Hydroplaneing (sp?).

My friend's do it all the time. One in a 1965 Chevy C-10 Stepside. That one was scary since everything on the dash and the subs were comming towards me, and the one in a 2002 Chevy Cavi. It's easier for him since all he has to do is pull the eBrake up. Damn automatics. Damn front wheel drive cars.

So who here has gotten sideway? Cut a few 360s? We gotta get people into this. It's fun. (As long as you are able to regain control of your car before hitting any cars, buildings, curves, pot holes, people, walls, ect.)

Let's get some advice and tips going here.
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2003, 11:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to tire
HAHAHA hydroplaning is losing traction while going in any direction because of water. You're jealous of FWD cars? Uh, whatever man. "Cutting" a few 360's? You mean sliding your *** around all the way in a circle while driving on a road? Maybe some doughnuts in a parking lot, but that doesn't sound like what you're talking about.

"We gotta get people into this."
Yeah, street racing is fun, let's all do it and kill ourselves and others. Sounds like you need a few more years behind the wheel and have friends dead/hurt badly for you to grow up some kid. Take it to the track, be it autox, open track, or drag. and no, not many people here do it or would try, you're 2cool4me!

Here's a tip: stop being an assclown.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:13 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
everytime it rains I make my car go sideways, once leaving school, 2 times to work and if the roads are wet 2 time going home, I do it around the same corners so I am use to it. Done some donuts in my Senior Parking lot, and walmart at like 12.
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2003, 11:25 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

actually the best jap drift cars are RWD, not FWD. the 240sx, the silvia, etc. they are all rwd. you can kick the tail side out more with a rwd car while still being able to control it. if it were FWD, then the tail would kick out and immediatly snap back behind the front wheels when they are turned and you couldnt get those long drifts.

i have done it a couple times, but for the most part, i will power slide a little more often instead of drifing. im a big fan of the "slow in, fast out" technique and its easier on the tires and suspension.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Drifting is a very specific term. Watch sprint cars race. You see them essentially sliding sideways thru the turns. That is drifting.

Brodies, Rockford turns, donuts, J turns, etc all involve kicking the butt end around to do something specific. Lots of fun, IF, it's safe and you don't put in into the wall.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvr2000stang
Holy crap he's right.
Ponycarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 01:01 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
drifting (like what i see on all those import videos) usually involves RWD imports (supras, rx-7, skylines) they use their light weight to power ratio to kick the rear end out WITHOUT hitting the ebrake. if you want to learn to drift the real way, go rent Need For Speed: Underground. the drift mode in that game is the best ive seen in any racing game so far. if you use a regular import(integra, civic, rsx) the drifting you do is slow and you have to ebrake it to do even little drifts. after you unlock all the cars and upgrades, the rx-7 is the perfect drifter. head into a turn, turn at the corner, tap the brake and downshift it into 1st, then round the turn with your front wheels facing the road and tap the gas so keep the slide going, then recorrect and slide the other way out of it, shift to 2nd and then the tires will break loose again and use it to your agvantage, and do some more turns. drifting is the art of being in control while out of control.

have i done it before? well yeah i have. theres a turn by my house i can take at 45 in dry weather, but when wet i approach doing about 30, turn into it, click it into neutral, then while im rounding the apex i rev it and go into Drive, break the rear loose(not hard in rain) and slide, then recorrect and slide the other way. its a 4 lane road with no devider and i usually only do it at night, and you can see of theres no cars coming . my freind tries it in his integra and it just slides the whole car and he must drop the ebrake to regain control. its fun but id rather do it somewhere safe, like an auto X but theyll put me in the big v8 class(gt's, camaros, corvettes) and i cant compete. cmon. big *** tbird vs gt's and corvettes in auto x. i think id rather embarass myself a different way and try to race a viper.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:16 AM   #7
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6PowerStang
HAHAHA hydroplaning is losing traction while going in any direction because of water. You're jealous of FWD cars? Uh, whatever man. "Cutting" a few 360's? You mean sliding your *** around all the way in a circle while driving on a road? Maybe some doughnuts in a parking lot, but that doesn't sound like what you're talking about.

"We gotta get people into this."
Yeah, street racing is fun, let's all do it and kill ourselves and others. Sounds like you need a few more years behind the wheel and have friends dead/hurt badly for you to grow up some kid. Take it to the track, be it autox, open track, or drag. and no, not many people here do it or would try, you're 2cool4me!

Here's a tip: stop being an assclown.

dude chill out a bit...
I highly doubt hes talking about cutting his rear end loose as hes taking a turn at 45 in heavy traffic. I really hate when people start this attitude as though they've never done this before. Wishing a close friends death on someone is really harsh man, you should think about that before you say that to some guy thats just having a little bit of fun. I love drifting, i dont do it on roads unless NO ONE is there... I usually hit up a blacktop covered parking lot that i can do about 50 then start turning hard... If you honestly say you've never done that before then you shouldnt be driving a mustang. Drag racings great... auto X is great too, but jesus christ man its not going to kill someone to go have a little fun in a parking lot. Quit acting 2cool4him and have some fun with your life. :no:

I like toys
Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
and no, not many people here do it or would try.

As for that comment... it looks like everyone here EXCEPT yourself has done/tried it. My advice to you is to live a little once in a while... you might actual find out you enjoy life a little bit more.

I like toys
Old 12-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to Horse Send a message via Yahoo to Horse
I try not to drift while racing. It' snot nearly as quick as slow in fast out. It seems counterintuitive, but I've tried it both ways and it's true. Drifting is slower. It is fun though. I usually only do it when it snows to avoid horrible tire wear.
4.2L , CAI, BBK 65MM throttle body, 30lb injectors, SSM ported intakes, FLEX 1/2" spacer, RPM big valve heads, Comp roller rockers and cam, ASP-underdrive pulley, GT rear swaybar, & Quad Shocks, Full MM Coilover conversion, 17" Grey Torque Thrust wheels, FMS Aluminum driveshaft 8.8 rear w/ 3.73 gears, Tri-Ax Shorthrow shifter & SPEC stage II clutch w/ aluminum flywheel
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 12:35 PM   #10
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

yeah, rains not too bad on wear either

I like toys
Old 12-08-2003, 02:16 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to Black95GT
yea the rain makes it fun since i dont have to worry as much about tread loss
2003 DSG Cobra -2.2L KB, 60lbs Injectors, Single Blade TB, SCT2400 MAF, Kook's LT's, Kook's High-Flow Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow CB, JLT RAI, MGW Short-Throw, H&R Race Springs, MM CC Plates, MM Bumpsteer, BF IRS Brace, BF Idlers, and AFS 18 Chrome Reps w/ R888s
Black95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:27 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Rellik Send a message via Yahoo to Rellik
Do I drift? Yes, and I do it on purpose when I'm alone, and I'll tell you why. In an emergency situation, what happens if your back end kicks out? You have to know what you have to do to correct and control the slide to regain control of your car. If you dont know what happens when your rearend slides out, in an emergency situation, you're clueless, slam on your brakes in a panic, and continue to slide... out of control.

The furthest I've "Practiced" my sliding is about a 60 degree angle to the direction my momentum was carring me... and though it scared the **** outta me, I was able to pull out of it fairly quickly.

This practice first started to take place while I was in my 66 Mustang. I would play in the snow for about an hour every other night on a deserted culdasac (the only house that was really on it was my house ). I would try differeing speeds and techniques to try to stay in control. And when I lost it... I would be able to avoid the curb because I wasn't going fast enough to hit it in the first place. Yes, in the snow I would do a perfect 180 slide and go back up the hill, but only a few times did I get it "perfect".

And I'm glad I did practice it too. There have been a few panic situations that my rear end did slide out in my 98... that if I didnt practice it, I would have probably rolled my car, gotten into an accident, or layed it in a ditch.

I usually dont do drifting often... because tires cost too damn much. But I'm stil lglad I practice. A coule of tires is cheaper to replace than a dented fender/hood/bumper or a wrecked car.

Just be careful when you do this. KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS!!! Dont pust the envelope too far... your practice may very well cause what you're trying to avoid.

Have Fun, but play safe!
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

ZimStang... reread my post and you'll find that I never wished death on anyone, but as you get older, friends will and DO die due to auto wrecks and related causes. And if you're right about this site being full of stupid kids wrecklessly peeling out, 'drifting', and losing control of their cars, then I don't belong here.
I thought this place wasn't filled with assclowns.

I have plenty of fun in my life as well, thanks, and I definitely don't need your advice. I just choose not to take unneccesary risks when it comes to other people's lives. That's why I quit street racing and took it to the track. I know you mean well but once you've lost someone due to a drunk driver, stupid street racer, or similar, you will understand.

I lost my friend Lauren this last summer because of a drunk driver. I spoke with her on the phone less than an hour before she died... if I knew who the drunk guy was, would you blame me for beating the **** or worse out of the guy who did it? Well, taking stupid risks on public roads is the same damned thing but not quite as wreckless as drunk driving IMO, and that's that. Gunning your car or racing up to the speed limit isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about people like Dom, yourself, and apparently some others here that decide to do this.
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

first, I feel it is important to push your car to its limits, and put yourself in sticky situations to learn how to get yourself out of them.

BUT, they shouldnt ever be done on the road. Find an empty parking lot and have fun. Go sliding around and correct yourself, learn how to drive.

But driving around town and fihtailing and drifting around a turn is just plain stupid. I dont care how good some of you 17 year old drivers think you are.

Like V6Power was saying, until you lose someone close to you because of ***-clowning in a car, you think its harmless fun.

So grow up and dont drift around on the street. If I ever meet any of you and see you do it close to me driving, you will soon be saying hello to my boot.

1999 V6 5-speed
14.6 @ 95 w/ 2.22 60'
Wrecked
stangin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:04 PM   #15
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
I thought this place wasn't filled with assclowns.
I hope you werent referring to me
Old 12-08-2003, 04:22 PM   #16
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

alright i read that wrong, looked like you were saying you hoped someone close to him died so he understood the dangers. Look though, im not encouraging him to go sliding around... i was saying i dont like when people come on here and tell everyone else how stupid they are whent hey like to have a little fun. IM not here telling him to go drifting in the middle of rush hour traffic around every turn... im saying do it safely, where there arent other cars around etc. There are still ways to have fun in your car without having to drive it like a grandma. Also, i really dont think im that much of an assclown... not too friendly there.

I like toys
Old 12-08-2003, 05:06 PM   #17

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to 01mineralgrey6
I've done it.....alot more since i got that ticket for it .....
http://v6stangs.addictgamers.com/viewtopic.php?t=3363&highlight=
It is fun, but be careful, it doesn't take much to go all the way around.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:29 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

no rellik you're not an assclown, and i have taken an OFFENSIVE driving course to get to know my car. and yes, i believe it is a good idea to know your limits.

i shouldn't have called anyone names online and for that i regret saying. i have been more emotional since last summer when bad things happened and it all comes out when i hear what some people do that can harm others. (truce)

*leaves thread*
tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 07:31 PM   #19
Zim
You want to **** me?
Legacy

Quote:
(truce)
im down, sorry for your loss man

I like toys
Old 12-08-2003, 07:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via MSN to Shahrum
Quote:
Originally Posted by White95Stangv6
Done some donuts in my Senior Parking lot, and walmart at like 12.
Yup... Walmart at 12 lol same here lmao
Shahrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to mexor
i used to drift, until i drifted my 240sx right into a wall
be careful.
mexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 10:58 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang
I have done EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operations Class) in p71's (aka crown vic cop cars) I loved it, and all I have to say is drive smart, dont be stupid, its a 3000+ Lb death trap also.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:43 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

drifting is horrible for our cars.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:07 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedya95stang
I dont thing drifting for ANY car is necessiarally good for them
Old 12-09-2003, 04:14 PM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
Quote:

some imports, mainly the 240sx and the nissan silvias have suspension mods you can do that allow for better drifting. the silvias were built with drifting in mind, thus its not that hard on them
Old 12-09-2003, 04:17 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik
Quote:
alot of japan cars are made so they can, its a big sport down there.

I wouldnt drift, unless in snow in my mustang, cause everythign will start breaking!

Edit, brandon beat me!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar