how many times can you buff a car before you need a new pain job? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Minnesota
how many times can you buff a car before you need a new pain job?

Today I got a full exterior detail that also buffed and polished and the car looks GOREOUS! I hear it takes off some of the paint coat so my question, how many times can you buff a car until you need to repaint it? This car has 30k miles and my first time getting it buffed, and idk if its just mental but I feel like the paint looks a lot thinner as if one more buff I will be seeing metal.
AngelsBoyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It depends. If you're just polishing the car with a DA a couple times a year; wearing through the clear shouldn't be a concern.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If your compound on the car car monthly you will have problems. Just a nice annual polish...you will have nothing to worry about. Enjoy the shine.
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I've heard stories of guys who have actually been so OCD about their paint that they have polished down to the base coat (OCD as in as soon as a bug gets on the paint they get out where ever they are and remove it with chemicals and microfiber).

However, my professional detailer claims when he does paint corrections (like what you just got done), he doesn't remove clear coat, just refines it. He meters the thickness of the paint with that magic tool before and after... So I'm assuming he's not pulling that out of his ***.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
I've heard stories of guys who have actually been so OCD about their paint that they have polished down to the base coat (OCD as in as soon as a bug gets on the paint they get out where ever they are and remove it with chemicals and microfiber).

However, my professional detailer claims when he does paint corrections (like what you just got done), he doesn't remove clear coat, just refines it. He meters the thickness of the paint with that magic tool before and after... So I'm assuming he's not pulling that out of his ***.
That sounds a bit nonsensical to me. Swirls and scratches are literally very small gouges in the clear. When you polish or compound, you're taking away very minuscule amounts of clearcoat away to level the surface to get rid of those.

The polisher is not a magic wand that makes them dissapear. That being said, the amount of clear removed is extremely small, but in a perfect world, you only polish once and then stop doing the things you did to introduce the swirls in the first place.

In the REAL world, you try to do the above as much as possible, but it will take a LONG time to work through all of that clear. Ford lays down a fairly thick coat of clear.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Right, derp. Just forget what I said... I don't make sense sometimes. Maybe he said he removes as little as possible... F*ck it 11 hour work day got me delirious.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
Right, derp. Just forget what I said... I don't make sense sometimes. Maybe he said he removes as little as possible... F*ck it 11 hour work day got me delirious.
That sounds more like it . Granted what they remove really depends on what kind of imperfections are there and how deep they are.

If you've ever had the chance to play with a digital paint meter, you'd be surprised how varied the paint thickness is over a car. I want one, but they are NOT cheap. Plus some are designed only to work on certain surfaces
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Never had the chance to play with one, but watched my guy play with it on my car. Oh yeah I've seen how thickness can vary panel to panel.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar