Does having a Stereo/CD On vs. No Music. Effects on Gas Mileage on Your V6s... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Wink Does having a Stereo/CD On vs. No Music. Effects on Gas Mileage on Your V6s...

Seems most posts about gas mileage in city and highway are much better than what I am getting. Here in Indiana the Stereo or CD Player is always on.

Are most owners stating gas mileage with Stereo or the CD player off or on? (Maybe people actually drive without any music down?)

How much of a mpg loss using the Stereo or CD player vs. no music on V6's?

(Not looking for what mpg people get again, or how it is equipped affects mpg, only the relationship between Stereo/CD Player and No Music.

2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Man u must be new to this world.. quit trolling

2014 v6 blacked out with dark yellow super snake. airaid cai, bbk tb, bama tunes, 3.73, and magnaflow competition exhaust.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
You must be trolling.

If I scratch my nuts while I'm driving would that effect my gas mileage too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Unless you have massive subs, amps, alternators and batteries, the effect on engine drag is VERY minimal.

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Lol.....
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Well------

It really depends on the music your listening to at the time. A nice soft old song will relax you and kind of slow ya down. (More MPG)
A good road tune like "Get your Motor Running will cause you to speed it up which means less MPG.
I hope this explains how music will affect your MPG.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
It really depends on the music your listening to at the time. A nice soft old song will relax you and kind of slow ya down. (More MPG)
A good road tune like "Get your Motor Running will cause you to speed it up which means less MPG.
Ronnie

Lol, I love your posts. You're always the silver lining.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Ronnie
Awesome
Old 08-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
You must be trolling.

If I scratch my nuts while I'm driving would that effect my gas mileage too?
Depends on whether you like it or not and start pushing the throttle down
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
That explains it... I gotta stop headbanging!

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Lol. Very small part of duel economy. It is true increasing electrical load will lower fuel economy, but the radio uses SO little, and for the value it provides, I wouldn't skip it. I run a small amp and sub, since best buy broke my radio, it's CDs only.

The only real professional MPG driver I am aware of (brilliant guy) listens to Marches. Like, bands doing marching with instruments. Supposedly it keeps him engaged, attentive to the road, and not falling asleep while still keeping him calm and settled. I was pondering of trying at my next competition, but he does LONG events, emptying tank events- otherwise he would probably just turn it off.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have a 10" sub and 250W amp that stays on while the car is running. I've noticed no difference from before I had it. As stated, some music will get you lower MPG lol.

Jeremy
Old 08-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
With technology nowadays, no. Run your a/c too, you wont lose gas or power either. Back in the day it would have made a difference. Its a thing of the past
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Technology doesn't make free energy. If you're using more electricity, you're increasing engine load, and decreasing MPG.

(Again, radio has been negligible and AC isn't too bad, but they do still drain.)

Does anyone know if removing the AC would free up some load? I know these are very efficient, but unless it is 100% electric or completely disconnects, it is still causing SOME resistance. I don't know the technical aspects on the unit, and it might give me a slight edge in the future if disengaging will give me something.

Luke 11:9-10 “So I say to you ...*search and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #15
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
It isn't so much having it on, it's more about the volume.

The higher volume will cause the car to vibrate, making it less aerodynamic.

Conversely, singing along with the music will negate this MPG drop as the hot air you're emitting will make the car lighter. Same concept as a hot air balloon.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 08-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

And farts contain methane which is flammable so can i fart in my car for nitro
Old 08-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #17
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
And farts contain methane which is flammable so can i fart in my car for nitro

Easily +75 hp after taco night in the Vig household.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ah, so funny...

So heading home from the gym, decided to look real quick what AC did to engine load. Cruise control at 50 indicated in sixth gear, flat road, radio at one bar. Engine load stayed between 44 and 47. Turned on AC on high, and it jumped to 55-59. I did this four times, and the results were the same each time. Didn't look at MPG change, or video it, just did it real quick while heading home. When my underbody is removed/fixed, I can do actual ABABA Testing and record it (video, and MPG changes).

Old 08-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I prefer to drive with the ac off anyways.

Windows down with the wind blowin thru my mullet.

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
Easily +75 hp after taco night in the Vig household.

+10 hp if theres srirachi hot sauce on them
Old 08-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Does having a Stereo/CD On vs. No Music. Effects on Gas Mileage on Your V6s...

Double post. Damn iphone lol
Old 08-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Engine load stayed between 44 and 47. Turned on AC on high, and it jumped to 55-59.
What are the units on this? How are you measuring that? Some OBDII tool?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Highway driving on level ground and turn the AC on it will drop 1.5 MPG at 70 MPH and stays there until it cycles off and then drops again when it cycles back on. In town I lose about 4 MPG with the AC on.
I have had stereo that have put a load on on alternator, so there might have been MPG lose at that time, but gas was under a buck so it didn't matter as much
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Technology doesn't make free energy. If you're using more electricity, you're increasing engine load, and decreasing MPG.

(Again, radio has been negligible and AC isn't too bad, but they do still drain.)

Does anyone know if removing the AC would free up some load? I know these are very efficient, but unless it is 100% electric or completely disconnects, it is still causing SOME resistance. I don't know the technical aspects on the unit, and it might give me a slight edge in the future if disengaging will give me something.

Like you said, any belt driven accessory is going to cause parasitic drag and thus, it will take power to spin it regardless if that particular accessory is being used or not.
Hot rodders have been deleting A/C for as long as A/C, on cars, has existed. Not so much for the horsepower gain but for the weight LOSS.
Our cars have become HEAVY! The car buying public has demanded more safety and "creature comforts" over the years and the cars have gained weight accordingly.
I won't be deleting my A/C anytime soon though... Even on the track car that I'm building.
Because it's too damned hot here!
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I was thinking for competing I should disengage it. And I use a data logger (which isn't great :/), an Ultra Gauge, and a Scanguage II. Units were on the SCii. Engine load goes by %, so WOT sits at 99%, and, if I remember correctly, idle sit in the 20s.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was thinking for competing I should disengage it. And I use a data logger (which isn't great :/), an Ultra Gauge, and a Scanguage II. Units were on the SCii. Engine load goes by %, so WOT sits at 99%, and, if I remember correctly, idle sit in the 20s.

That's cool. I want to get something that will both display and record, do it well (accurately and fast refresh rate), record many parameters, and also look cool. Please let me know if you have a recommendation.

Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What I've found:

-Listening to Slayer=12mpg

-Listening to Enya=24mpg

/thread.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #27
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I would think if you have a big (loud) enough system and you place your sub pointing backwards the sound waves have got to help...I suggest some Dub Step
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
I would think if you have a big (loud) enough system and you place your sub pointing backwards the sound waves have got to help...I suggest some Dub Step

T.i. - what you know

Guaranteed that song can make a car faster lol
Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
That's cool. I want to get something that will both display and record, do it well (accurately and fast refresh rate), record many parameters, and also look cool. Please let me know if you have a recommendation.

Nothing that is cheaper than $400. SCii is great for testing, but doesn't record. UG is great for monitoring, but doesn't record. Data logger is okay for basic vehicle monitoring, but does readouts when disconnected and with a computer. 150, 70, and 100. I also have two splitters, so I can run all three at once lol.

There are a lot of options, but I haven't found a good balanced unit for a reasonable price. I do this seriously, but I do it on a budget. For entry level with the plan of monitoring, UG. If you plan on testing (MPG, extended performance), then SGii. Data logger is better as a vehicle nanny. Haven't really been able to apply data yet, as it does not properly record my engine off time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar