Autozone counterworker claimed to have a 9.8 second 94 Cobra - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Autozone counterworker claimed to have a 9.8 second 94 Cobra

I asked him what he had done to it. His response... "Everything, well everything but nitro (yes nitro)." There is a reason I only get fluids/grease/adhesives from Autozone... To anyone on here that works at a parts store and isn't an idiot, ppl like this give you all a bad name lol.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I was asked if my car had the Hemi in it at a quick lube place. I said I would be back I forgot my wallet, went and bought a drain pan and changed my oil in my parking lot
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I asked him what he had done to it. His response... "Everything, well everything but nitro (yes nitro)." There is a reason I only get fluids/grease/adhesives from Autozone... To anyone on here that works at a parts store and isn't an idiot, ppl like this give you all a bad name lol.
This reminds me of that video with the chubby kid and his V6 "I put new pistons in dere" "Oh, what size?" "Maaan, 7 and a half dog.." Ahahaha.

As for Autozone, I never go there for the sole reason of one guy that works there is a complete ***. I understand he hates his job but that's not my problem.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Honestly for what those places pay expect to find the same quality of car knowledge as a fast food restaurant. At the end of the day there job is to sell parts not diagnosis car problems. Although it's unfortunate they market the business as being able to diagnosis. I worked there in high school and saw employees range from mechanics who have done full car restorations to people who would look for muffler bearings and blinker fluid.

Expecting everyone at auto zone to be a mechanic is like expecting everyone at McDonalds to be a master cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Lmfao.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Why didn't you use our standard line on him?

"Post a time slip or it didn't happen".
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

You know the girl who was ringing me up was being super nice and he was the manager (lmfao) an didn't want her to have to deal with him being pissy if I asked him a few REALLY basic questions about 94/95 Cobras. I'm sure I've forgotten more about those cars than this guy thinks he knows.

I'm not expecting ANYTHING at autozone either. I go armed with part numbers at all times and its kind of fun to confuse them when they insist on punching in the year/make/model instead of using the supplied numbers. "Ok its a 98GT, but it has a 99 motor in it with an 02-04 trans and a 95 interior etc...". They look at me like I have a 3rd eye.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
The manager at the autozone here was standing in front of my car and asked me if it was a mustang. Keep in mind it is an 07. I told him it was a pinto and he was like oh yeah I guess it is!

05 Gt Premium Performance White, flowmaster outlaws
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I've been thinking about finding an 1/8th mile track so I can go around and tell everyone that I have an 8 second Mustang with the time slips to prove it... thank you!

I don't think that anyone will notice.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
My 2006 Mustang had the Xcharger on it - went in to pick up a new belt and they insisted that they had to look it up. I told him "no, the stock belt won't fit and this is the one I need". He insisted and so I gave him the information -- 2006 4.0 V6, automatic with Xcharger Xtreme. What do you know "hmm, I can't find that on our system, are you sure that is what you have?".

Told him again - the car is not stock, you can't get it from Ford this way, and yes I'm sure of what it has and I'm sure of what belt I need. Manager came over then and said "just give him what he asked for, don't look it up, I've seen his car and he comes in for things and knows what he wants and it isn't the stock stuff"
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

9.8 in an 1/8 maybe?

gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqsmash View Post
9.8 in an 1/8 maybe?

I was thinking maybe 1000 ft.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

He has " nitro " though. So he is fast as fk lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Have t posted in awhile and I was looking for the like on your post rap!

gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
At my local autozone, one of the managers has a neon and he has asked numerous times to run my Z28.

He claims his car runs 10's @ 140.

I told him that my car has a larger nitrous hit than his car makes period. He laughed and said, "My car isn't stock."

I ended up racing him just to shut him up. I only used 3rd gear without spraying and of course it wasn't even really a race.

He ended up telling everyone it was close. Hahaha.

To his credit, his car does have a 2.4L swap.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:05 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
At my local autozone, one of the managers has a neon and he has asked numerous times to run my Z28.

He claims his car runs 10's @ 140.

I told him that my car has a larger nitrous hit than his car makes period. He laughed and said, "My car isn't stock."

I ended up racing him just to shut him up. I only used 3rd gear without spraying and of course it wasn't even really a race.

He ended up telling everyone it was close. Hahaha.

To his credit, his car does have a 2.4L swap.

I wouldn't have even done that. Just blow him out of the water.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I wouldn't have even done that. Just blow him out of the water.
I seriously thought about it. I think he's mildly retarded and he's a nice guy. Didn't want to make him feel that bad. Plus he hooks me up with employee discounts all the time.

He wants to run my Talon when it's finished. I'll go full out then.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #18
Staff
Regular
Staff

I almost bought a 1st gen AWD Talon as my first self bought car. If I had, I might have wound up a DSM ricer... "shudder"... Lol, the 1st generation ones are badass and don't have the oil squirter issues the 2nd gens had IIRC.

Props for getting the lesser known sibling of the Eclipse but if you were REALLY cool you would have gone for the Laser lol.

What's scary is that its not hard at all to get 300rwhp on a 1st gen DSM and they weigh nothing with AWD.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I almost bought a 1st gen AWD Talon as my first self bought car. If I had, I might have wound up a DSM ricer... "shudder"... Lol, the 1st generation ones are badass and don't have the oil squirter issues the 2nd gens had IIRC.

Props for getting the lesser known sibling of the Eclipse but if you were REALLY cool you would have gone for the Laser lol.

What's scary is that its not hard at all to get 300rwhp on a 1st gen DSM and they weigh nothing with AWD.
It's sad that those cars and their owners are all grouped into being "ricers".

The vast majority of these cars are owned by morons who think throwing a boost controller on a stock car and cranking it up to 40 lbs will make their car have eleventybillion horsepowers.

The other guys that actually know what they are doing are some of the smartest, nicest people you could ever meet. However, if you don't know what you are talking about or ask "newb" questions they will crucify you. So in that sense, they are arseholes. Seems like you get that on just about every forum nowadays.

My car being a 93 came with a 7 bolt. I swapped in Evo 8 pistons/rods (raised the compression ratio to 8.8 from 7.5) and HKS 272 cams along with a boost controller set to 17 psi and an Evo 3 16G. I never dyno'd it but I would guess it was putting down around 310 - 330 awhp. Which is very similar to what my Evo 8 MR was putting down.

It was damn near as fast as my Z28 to 80 MPH, after that however, it wasn't even close.

These are fun little cars with massive potential.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:22 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
It's sad that those cars and their owners are all grouped into being "ricers".

The vast majority of these cars are owned by morons who think throwing a boost controller on a stock car and cranking it up to 40 lbs will make their car have eleventybillion horsepowers.

The other guys that actually know what they are doing are some of the smartest, nicest people you could ever meet. However, if you don't know what you are talking about or ask "newb" questions they will crucify you. So in that sense, they are arseholes. Seems like you get that on just about every forum nowadays.

My car being a 93 came with a 7 bolt. I swapped in Evo 8 pistons/rods (raised the compression ratio to 8.8 from 7.5) and HKS 272 cams along with a boost controller set to 17 psi and an Evo 3 16G. I never dyno'd it but I would guess it was putting down around 310 - 330 awhp. Which is very similar to what my Evo 8 MR was putting down.

It was damn near as fast as my Z28 to 80 MPH, after that however, it wasn't even close.

These are fun little cars with massive potential.
Ricer s are dumb asses. Tuners are people who take the same vehicles and actually do sensible things with them

Old 08-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I *HAD* a 68 Camaro SS vert 496 (454 with a 540 crank), 1st 1/4 mile pass at ATCO I hit the 1/8 mile mark and threw it in Neutral and ran 13.01... No roll bar.. ATCO rules- 12.99 and under you need a roll bar.... 2nd pass I ripped a 10.73... Needless to say.... I was never allowed back in.. Even as a spectator.. It was a fun street car.. Hydraulic roller cam... I drove that Chevy every where... BUT.. I like my (^GT with my little 4.6 2V wayyyy better... I may only run a 13... No way am I in the 12's... It definetly feels like a 13.00 flat 1/4 mile car.. I really dont care about running it at the track. I'm plenty happy with everything I've done... Too bad I never worked at Pep Boys... I'd be running 7.80's in the 1/4 with a 89 octane tune all day long dawg... LOL
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

To all the people talking crap about parts store workers its not as easy as it seems. Believe me I use to be one of you guys till i worked for autozone. Ill just set some guid lines

Yea more than likely your going to deal with the *** hat who doesn't know engine from light bulbs but some of us actually know some **** and can actually be helpful.

It becomes a habit to ask 2 or 4wd no matter what. We have to pick one it pops up on the screen so don't look at us like retards when we ask and just tell us.

Were only as smart as our computer system and past experiences. So if you get the wrong part more than likely its not either one of our faults just miss information in our system

Yes you don't need any car experience to work at autozone so don't get all pissy when you get blank stares. Its the nature of minimum wage jobs.

And most of us are under 25 so we don't have experience like others and don't know every year make and model of car by heart and know what engines came in which cars so if we don't know tell us politely

If you have a frankenstined ride just tell is the YMM of the car that the part came from don't just say "its a 350 they're all the same" or it doesn't matter its a hot rod. Because there isn't anything else that pisses us off and makes us not want to help you

And finally you need us to get your part so treat us how you would treat to your waiter or waitress 👍

And to end yes autozone sucks. Theres a reason it all has lifetime warranty. If you cant change it in under a hour or without dismantling half your car get it from somewhere else.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
To all the people talking crap about parts store workers its not as easy as it seems. Believe me I use to be one of you guys till i worked for autozone. Ill just set some guid lines

Yea more than likely your going to deal with the *** hat who doesn't know engine from light bulbs but some of us actually know some **** and can actually be helpful.

It becomes a habit to ask 2 or 4wd no matter what. We have to pick one it pops up on the screen so don't look at us like retards when we ask and just tell us.

Were only as smart as our computer system and past experiences. So if you get the wrong part more than likely its not either one of our faults just miss information in our system

Yes you don't need any car experience to work at autozone so don't get all pissy when you get blank stares. Its the nature of minimum wage jobs.

And most of us are under 25 so we don't have experience like others and don't know every year make and model of car by heart and know what engines came in which cars so if we don't know tell us politely

If you have a frankenstined ride just tell is the YMM of the car that the part came from don't just say "its a 350 they're all the same" or it doesn't matter its a hot rod. Because there isn't anything else that pisses us off and makes us not want to help you

And finally you need us to get your part so treat us how you would treat to your waiter or waitress

And to end yes autozone sucks. Theres a reason it all has lifetime warranty. If you cant change it in under a hour or without dismantling half your car get it from somewhere else.

Dude you are preaching to the choir here as far as all THAT stuff. But realize that when I hand the person a part number from the Autozone website and they still insist on looking up my car and arguing with me about how that's not the part I need because my car is a XX model year etc... The people who are helpful are great. The ppl who think that because they work at an auto parts store they know more than everyone else and their computer system is the last word are the ones who get managers or corporate called and customers to go elsewhere.

Like 6 months ago I went in to get rear brake brackets for my car that the counter person saw parked outside and was insisting to the point of almost refusing to give me Cobra brackets because my car was a GT. I had to get the manager and ask him somewhat politely to tell his cashier to stop arguing with me about MY CAR and get me the right brackets because the brakes are upgraded and yes they have the right caliper attachment points for Cobra stuff and I/'m getting these brackets because I'm sick of running modified GT brackets that look like crap. I've also had issues even asking for goddamn transmission fluid when they are out of the stuff on the shelf that I want. Yes I know that 95 Cobras come with a T-5, yes I know only the R came with a 3550 from the factory... that does not mean that someone can't swap in an aftermarket 3550 and be looking for Syncrhomesh and not need some jackass 20 yr old who is more of an expert on my own car than I am because he reads the store copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords every month.

/rant.

edit: The ONLY half decent thing about Autozone/Advance besides actually having a decent parts selection is that they'll do battery/wiper/bulb/etc... installs for free for mechanically inept (or injured) ppl instead of charging shop labor rates which can be a double edged sword but I won't get into that... I personally would never let them touch any of my vehicles but for an old lady who physically can't lift a battery, much less install it and is on a fixed income, that is cool I guess.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Cant forget about free computer diagnostic plug n print read out.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #25
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
When they can figure out how to do it..

Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dude you are preaching to the choir here as far as all THAT stuff. But realize that when I hand the person a part number from the Autozone website and they still insist on looking up my car and arguing with me about how that's not the part I need because my car is a XX model year etc... The people who are helpful are great. The ppl who think that because they work at an auto parts store they know more than everyone else and their computer system is the last word are the ones who get managers or corporate called and customers to go elsewhere.

Like 6 months ago I went in to get rear brake brackets for my car that the counter person saw parked outside and was insisting to the point of almost refusing to give me Cobra brackets because my car was a GT. I had to get the manager and ask him somewhat politely to tell his cashier to stop arguing with me about MY CAR and get me the right brackets because the brakes are upgraded and yes they have the right caliper attachment points for Cobra stuff and I/'m getting these brackets because I'm sick of running modified GT brackets that look like crap. I've also had issues even asking for goddamn transmission fluid when they are out of the stuff on the shelf that I want. Yes I know that 95 Cobras come with a T-5, yes I know only the R came with a 3550 from the factory... that does not mean that someone can't swap in an aftermarket 3550 and be looking for Syncrhomesh and not need some jackass 20 yr old who is more of an expert on my own car than I am because he reads the store copy of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords every month.

/rant.

edit: The ONLY half decent thing about Autozone/Advance besides actually having a decent parts selection is that they'll do battery/wiper/bulb/etc... installs for free for mechanically inept (or injured) ppl instead of charging shop labor rates which can be a double edged sword but I won't get into that... I personally would never let them touch any of my vehicles but for an old lady who physically can't lift a battery, much less install it and is on a fixed income, that is cool I guess.

Ha im with you 100% my manager tried putting in a battery and put the wires on backwards and blew a hole bunch of fuses and then made the guy buy them again. So its just a judgment call on have then put stuff in. I can gladly say I never damaged any customers cars installing anything. I was mainly just saying those because of all the times i see people call us retards when really its not our fault but your right about the 1% that ****s it up for all of us. Just like some cops
Old 08-20-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
When they can figure out how to do it..

Yeah. Lol. My scanner plug is right next to my RIGHT knee (sitting in the drivers seat) 96 Mustang.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
Not in California.

We have to buy our own scanners.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

/rant.

Ha im with you 100% my manager tried putting in a battery and put the wires on backwards and blew a hole bunch of fuses and then made the guy buy them again. So its just a judgment call on have then put stuff in. I can gladly say I never damaged any customers cars installing anything. I was mainly just saying those because of all the times i see people call us retards when really its not our fault but your right about the 1% that ****s it up for all of us. Just like some cops
Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

/rant.

They want to look the part up because thats how they find the location of the part in the store and also they have to enter your warranty information and in order to do that they need your make and model vehicle. You cant just bypass the system Autocircus set up. I used to work for Autozone and it sucked.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ13GT View Post
They want to look the part up because thats how they find the location of the part in the store and also they have to enter your warranty information and in order to do that they need your make and model vehicle. You cant just bypass the system Autocircus set up. I used to work for Autozone and it sucked.

Not sure when you worked there but all you need is the part number now even to find the location and you can put in warranty info in at checkout. Im sure he was asking YMM just to make sure it was the right part because its annoying af to do returns and what not. But he after scotty said its not stock then he shoulda just looked up the number
Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure when you worked there but all you need is the part number now even to find the location and you can put in warranty info in at checkout. Im sure he was asking YMM just to make sure it was the right part because its annoying af to do returns and what not. But he after scotty said its not stock then he shoulda just looked up the number
That stuff needs to be done at the parts counter to save time at the checkout. The checkout setup they have is already slow enough. Also most employees dont know the system well enough to do it any other way than go by YM&M. I worked there in the early 2000s. The systems have changed since then so maybe could be different/easier now.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Well if your paying cash at least at the store i worked out you had to switch computers so you'd have to enter it there. But your right about not knowing the system i worked there for a year and i always had to show people how to do **** on the computer
Old 08-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well if your paying cash at least at the store i worked out you had to switch computers so you'd have to enter it there. But your right about not knowing the system i worked there for a year and i always had to show people how to do **** on the computer
Oh yeah... they only took payment at the 2 registers at the front when I worked there. You can tell I havent been to Autocircus in years. I usually go to Napa or Oreillys if i need something quick but do 90% of my purchases online.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Okay.. I say October 4th, 2014, all M.E. members put on Autozone Shirts and walk around every AutoZone Store in the Country and help out customers get what they need. (video taped of course)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > The Bar